Author Topic: Blockbusters  (Read 6984 times)

Offline Baked Bears

Blockbusters
« on: January 26, 2017, 05:22:51 PM »
Council members,

Please consider the following:

Every year, around Memorial Day, offer a Print-on-Demand mini series (say, 12 regular size cards or postcards) of movies that have withstood the test of time and become "classics:"  "The Wizard of Oz," "Frankenstein," "King Kong," "Citizen Kane," etc..

These movies are available on DVD and BluRay now, at the present moment, so they wouldn't necessarily be Old School.

For variety - and larger appeal - include different genres:

Westerns:  "The Magnificent Seven," "The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly," etc.

Science Fiction: "2001: A Space Odyssey," "Alien," "Blade Runner," "The Terminator," etc.  (Note: The original "Star Wars" goes to George.)

Horror: "Dracula," "Psycho," A Nightmare on Elm Street," "Child's Play," etc.

Drama: "One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest," "Casablanca," etc.

As well as film noir mysteries, comedy, etc.; You get the general idea.

I believe the artists would have a lot of fun with these.  (I'd be willing to bet that as the artists are reading this post, they are already coming up with ideas.)  I also think the public would appreciate them.  Finally, the list is HUGE.  By the time this project was ever finished, nearly everybody reading this would all literally be...

Offline Fool-Aid

Re: Blockbusters
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2017, 06:08:00 PM »
Very interesting, you seem like you have lots of specifics for your ideas. You may want to start 1 thread titled "Baked Bears Wacky set ideas"

Offline Baked Bears

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2017, 06:34:43 PM »
I just try to think things out first, is all, to give an idea (or criticism, perhaps) more "validity" (???) or "weight" (???) in the hope that others might consider them seriously, rather than just glancing over them and moving right along on to the next post.

In all honesty, I would really like these ideas to come to fruition.  I would love to see, say, a "Wizard of Oz" or John Wayne or Clint Eastwood parody.  They've never been done before, at least with Wackys. 

So, I'm playing Johnny Appleseed, throwing seeds left and right.  And maybe, just maybe, perhaps, there's a chance that one of these seeds might sprout.  And even one is better than nothing.  It's like they say about playing the lottery.  If you play it, you might win.  But if you never play, you're absolutely guaranteed to lose.  And so I play.  What's a couple of bucks a week?  I spend far more than that on frivolous things.  And as far as ideas go, they don't cost me a cent, just a bit of time.

"With the power of conviction, there is no sacrifice." - Pat Benatar

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2017, 07:59:53 PM »
I just try to think things out first, is all, to give an idea (or criticism, perhaps) more "validity" or "weight" in the hope that others might consider them seriously, rather than just glancing over them and moving right along on to the next post.
No offense intended, but your posts like these are so wordy, that it is causing the unintended effect for me. And, it would not be a bad idea to take Fool-Aid's advice and put all your set ideas into one thread versus starting one for each thought you have.

Offline Baked Bears

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2017, 08:03:19 PM »
Fool-Aid,

And, no, I'd rather not do a separate post of my own ideas - not here on the forum.  I've little scraps of paper for that.

What I'm hoping for is for others to read these topics and then jump on board with ideas and suggestions of their own.  In my posts, I intentionally include a few more details than are probably necessary in order to create a stronger foundation upon which to build something substantial.  Perhaps it also raises the bar, as well.

I also intentionally leave things out, too, so there's room for others to join in.  I could have googled a list of classic movies and posted it here, but I'd rather have others bring in movies that mean something to them.  It would be more personal, and their suggestions would then be that much stronger. And, besides, as I stated in another post somewhere else, when a bunch of people get together and pitch in, there's going to be that many more ideas and points of view, and what you come out with in the end is going to be far more diverse and, in all likelihood, superior to anything that any one person alone could ever envision.

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2017, 03:00:51 AM »
No offense intended, but your posts like these are so wordy, that it is causing the unintended effect for me. And, it would not be a bad idea to take Fool-Aid's advice and put all your set ideas into one thread versus starting one for each thought you have.

I think in the future your best course of action would be to take ALL of your ideas and let them percolate in your mind and on paper for 30 days. After that period you can decide which of your multiple ideas warrants group attention and feedback and just post the one idea for consideration. If this was an ad agency you would probably not be complimented for such a large volume of input. Value Vs. Volume should be what you strive for.  As Bigtomi stated your wordiness is also an opportunity for you to work on. Your posts are passionate and eloquent; but a bit too gregarious. Please keep your Wacky Spirit ; but take this input into consideration.

Regards,  Andrew

Offline Baked Bears

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2017, 08:25:49 AM »
Members,

I came to this forum excited and enthusiastic, wanting to share and participate.

I struggle with writing.  Really struggle.  It literally takes me hours to write each of my posts as I search and search for just the right words to make my thoughts and ideas as clear as I possibly can.  (Otherwise, what comes out is just shit that nobody really understands.)

In the short time I've participated, I've submitted four suggestions: One for a Christmas series, and then three more last night (which I tried my best to keep short.)  These were not random thoughts, but some of my better ideas that I've been cultivating for years and wanted to share.

Of all the replies to my posts, I've only had three members contribute to the main topic at hand, that is provide actual suggestions which built upon something.  Most others seemed concerned not with the actual content, but more in the way that I expressed it.  That, and that also I submitted three ideas in a row.  So, in a way, Bigtomi is right.  What I intended isn't happening at all.

Over the course of a week or so, it seems I've gone from posting some of the "most thoughtful and passionate set posts in quite some time" to "wordy" and "gregarious," as well as offering suggestions of weak value. 

And now it has been politely suggested that I move to another corner of the school yard.

Please accept my apologies if I distracted or annoyed anybody with my posts;  I was excited and simply wanted to share.

For the moment, I'll hang out over at the Bulk Buyers Club thread.  I made a commitment, and being my word is my bond, I do not wish to let anybody down.

Best wishes.

Rob

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2017, 02:25:10 PM »
Rob,

Please don't lose the enthusiasm!  I also spend a lot of time on some posts, writing and re-writing to get my thoughts across in an acceptable fashion.  Many have edits noted just a few minutes later because I noticed something I wanted to change or clarify.

Your posts were sometimes too long for me to properly read, digest and respond to in the time I had available, which I regret.  I will make an effort to look back over the weekend.

Offline Brian Mc

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2017, 04:57:46 PM »
  Stick with it Rob. I have been here for 6 and a half years and have a total of 58 posts to my name  :] . As such, I'm definitely not a Forum guru, but I will tell you that this place is full of good, trusting, folks... folks who love Wackys, deal honestly, and are always willing to help out a fellow forum member.

I was welcomed very warmly here all those years ago. A couple of members reached out to me in the spirit of honest friendship and helped me out as a "newbie". Not long after, I went through a two-year-long divorce, moved across the country, moved back, lost a career, gained a new one, etc, etc. I had several long absences on this forum but I can honestly say that this place has always welcomed me back, without judgment. I have always been impressed by the good nature of people here, a rare commodity not found on very many forums throughout the internet.

This is a great place with good people. Just my ¢2.

Brian Mc
Brian Mc

Offline quas

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2017, 05:37:48 PM »
I count myself among the un-annoyed! Keep generating the ideas!  :great:
Marc

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2017, 09:03:22 PM »
From one Rob to another  :-[

I appreciate your enthusiasm and efforts to share your ideas!

Many seemingly relevant topics do not generate much discussion. A few do. Sometimes we beat trivial stuff to death.
It appears few members want to contribute ideas for hypothetical series right now. Try not to take it personally.

It can be tricky to communicate online. If we were all standing around having cocktails and hors d'oeuvres,
it would be a different experience than the mostly (deafening) silence that can occur online. You put a lot of
thought and work into your posts, so it's disappointing. That's understandable. I suggest you share what
you want to share, but with less expectations of others. That might sound harsh, but I don't mean it that way.   

Well, I'm digressing into psychoanalytical philosophical mumbo-jumbo, as I'm prone to do.     

Bottom line is, I wanted to say "howdy".            Stay Wacky Baked Bear.   

Offline Zenergizer

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2017, 07:55:42 AM »
Yes, let me add that I love your enthusiasm and don't let any posts (or lack of posts) deter you.

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2017, 09:06:07 AM »
Rob,

I think most everyone here appreciates your enthusiastic commentary! It's rare that we get such a potpourri of ideas for Wacky Packages sets. Keep in mind, we're between major releases and the forum tends to be quieter during these occasions. So, keep your keyboard warmed up and in a couple of months when the 50th comes out, this place will be hopping!

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2017, 10:05:36 AM »
I'm sure part of the reason for the limited number of posted reactions/feedback also has to do with the uncertainty surrounding the future of Wackys in general.  Topps has already scaled back on new releases considerably.  We all figured they'd have to do something for the 50th anniversary, but beyond that who knows.  Although hearing about another Old School series on its way does offer some hope.  I'd feel a lot better if I knew we could count on one ANS series and one OS series per year at a minimum.

Offline Baked Bears

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2017, 10:50:50 AM »
Thank you, everyone, for your suggestions, support, and, yes, even criticisms.  And I mean this with the utmost sincerity.

I am not ignoring anyone or pissed or anything like that. 

In many ways, I am a stranger in a strange land - overwhelmed, confused, blind at times, taking some risks, and trying to get my bearings.  (I've never been on an online forum before - yet, what did I do?  Shouted, "Banzai!" and dove right in.)

I will make another post in the upcoming days.  It will be probably be long since I will be addressing the immediate posts before this simultaneously.  (So, forewarned is forearmed.)  After that, I will respond to members individually, so, hopefully, therefore, shorter posts. (C'mon, man, for someone who would rather talk than write, imagine what it's like for me with these &%$# long posts!)

I guess everyone can look upon me as Baked Bears, the new "word" guy.  (This is not meant to be sarcastic or facetious.  It is simply me poking fun at myself.  So when you see a future post titled "Baked Bears' 'Wordy" Ideas," it is my way of laughing at myself.)

Talk to everyone again soon.  In the meantime, I have to go check on what my next "Bulk Club" payment is going to be.

Thanks, again.

Offline Tom Keen

« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2017, 08:21:21 AM »
Council members,

Please consider the following:

Every year, around Memorial Day, offer a Print-on-Demand mini series (say, 12 regular size cards or postcards) of movies that have withstood the test of time and become "classics:"  "The Wizard of Oz," "Frankenstein," "King Kong," "Citizen Kane," etc..

These movies are available on DVD and BluRay now, at the present moment, so they wouldn't necessarily be Old School.

For variety - and larger appeal - include different genres:

Westerns:  "The Magnificent Seven," "The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly," etc.

Science Fiction: "2001: A Space Odyssey," "Alien," "Blade Runner," "The Terminator," etc.  (Note: The original "Star Wars" goes to George.)

Horror: "Dracula," "Psycho," A Nightmare on Elm Street," "Child's Play," etc.

Drama: "One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest," "Casablanca," etc.

As well as film noir mysteries, comedy, etc.; You get the general idea.

I believe the artists would have a lot of fun with these.  (I'd be willing to bet that as the artists are reading this post, they are already coming up with ideas.)  I also think the public would appreciate them.  Finally, the list is HUGE.  By the time this project was ever finished, nearly everybody reading this would all literally be...

Is there a council here?

You have some good ideas.  Hope to see some of them followed up!

Not sure if I follow your definition of "set" in your explanation somewhere on one of these threads to Neil and his Halloween sets.

Definitely follow the advice here, write your post and then chop the 2nd half off.  Most often you have a great point and then you meander during the 2nd half of the posts.  Often you even state you are meandering or going off topic so you know it, don't lose your audience on good points made with extraneous verbosity.

Offline Baked Bears

« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2017, 12:24:10 PM »

Not sure if I follow your definition of "set" in your explanation somewhere on one of these threads to Neil and his Halloween sets.

Offline Baked Bears

« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2017, 12:28:30 PM »
  During the 1970s, Topps established a precedent in which Wacky Packages titles were limited to, on average, 33 titles per set.  Beginning with the All New Series, that number was changed to 55 (though in both cases there have been some exceptions.)  Similarly, Topps set a precedent in that the titles parodied a wide array of actual products (though again, there have been a few exceptions.)  Also, the artwork was surrounded by a distinctive, thick black border.

Many traditionalist fans and collectors have become accustomed to these sets and, over the years, these are what they have come to expect.

In the past few years, Topps has broken with many of these precedents.  With some sets, the thick, black borders have been replaced by thinner, cleaner borders.  Several titles feature generic products, rather than actual brand name products.  The number of titles per set is no longer restricted (as in the ongoing political and social commentary sets,) and recently parody has often taken a backseat to satire.

A set can be anything, but from a traditionalist's point of view, I believe it would have to have several of the features described in the first paragraph (hence the criticisms I read in many other threads.  The one common factor among them all is that there has been a deviation from established precedent.)
« Last Edit: February 05, 2017, 12:34:54 PM by Baked Bears »

Offline dth1971

« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2017, 12:33:03 PM »
Wacky Packages Goes To The Movies?

Why not Garbage Pail Kids Goes To The Movies?

Offline Baked Bears

« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2017, 12:44:10 PM »
Good idea!  Hopefully Topps might follow up on both ideas.  (I just suggested Wackys because I'm more of a Wacky fan.)  The two could be definitely be combined, though, as in the recent GPK sets that also feature WP.

Offline crackedjerk

« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2017, 07:38:58 PM »
Thank you, everyone, for your suggestions, support, and, yes, even criticisms.  And I mean this with the utmost sincerity.

I am not ignoring anyone or pissed or anything like that. 

In many ways, I am a stranger in a strange land - overwhelmed, confused, blind at times, taking some risks, and trying to get my bearings.  (I've never been on an online forum before - yet, what did I do?  Shouted, "Banzai!" and dove right in.)

I will make another post in the upcoming days.  It will be probably be long since I will be addressing the immediate posts before this simultaneously.  (So, forewarned is forearmed.)  After that, I will respond to members individually, so, hopefully, therefore, shorter posts. (C'mon, man, for someone who would rather talk than write, imagine what it's like for me with these &%$# long posts!)

I guess everyone can look upon me as Baked Bears, the new "word" guy.  (This is not meant to be sarcastic or facetious.  It is simply me poking fun at myself.  So when you see a future post titled "Baked Bears' 'Wordy" Ideas," it is my way of laughing at myself.)

Talk to everyone again soon.  In the meantime, I have to go check on what my next "Bulk Club" payment is going to be.

Thanks, again.

Count me as one who appreciates your enthusiasm, Rob.  Keep it up!  I will say, however, I also get a bit overwhelmed by long posts and four separate ideas (I tend to visit the forum only once every 2-3 weeks these days).  Perhaps, because your ideas seem very hypothetical, it's hard to give a great deal of thought to something that isn't likely to happen.  Again, however, it's fun to dream of wacky new Wacky ideas and you've dreamed up a bunch.  I think the core idea of a "Blockbusters" set is a fun one.   

anything