Author Topic: Gag Criticism, Variation, and Packaging  (Read 640245 times)

Offline Swiski

Re: Gag Criticism, Variation, and Packaging
« Reply #1120 on: May 18, 2018, 07:13:35 AM »
Wow...no comments on Dimwit Dots. I think Dimwit Dots is one of the most eye-catching, colorful parodies in the 7th Series. The mod yellow cube pattern is reminiscent of 70s-era mosaic art. Mixed with the guy's green shirt, blue bowtie and red lettering. Absolutely love the tight illustration of the guy who obviously is such a dimwit he can't put a sugar cube in the giant coffee cup! It's a shame I don't have a visual reference to the real packaging.

Offline Swiski

« Reply #1121 on: May 18, 2018, 07:17:11 AM »
Mr. Goodbye and Mr. Goodbar...

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #1122 on: May 18, 2018, 12:05:51 PM »
Wow...no comments on Dimwit Dots. I think Dimwit Dots is one of the most eye-catching, colorful parodies in the 7th Series. The mod yellow cube pattern is reminiscent of 70s-era mosaic art. Mixed with the guy's green shirt, blue bowtie and red lettering. Absolutely love the tight illustration of the guy who obviously is such a dimwit he can't put a sugar cube in the giant coffee cup! It's a shame I don't have a visual reference to the real packaging.
I spent some time trying to dig around for a vintage image, but couldn't find anything with the checkerboard pattern. For that matter, it was difficult to find anything that was a Domino Dot. Looks like that name disappeared quite a while ago.

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #1123 on: May 18, 2018, 12:06:38 PM »

I lacked the ability to actually write a response to it. Dimwit Dots is one of my favorite 7th Series titles.

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #1124 on: May 18, 2018, 08:34:26 PM »
I missed the 7th Series entirely so it doesn't have the same nostalgic pull for me as some other series do, but a good Wacky is a good Wacky, and the 7th has its share.  I'd put this one among the best 4 or 5 titles from that Series.  As for the packaging, it's a little frustrating that an exact match can't be found.

Online RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #1125 on: May 19, 2018, 04:41:57 AM »

I really like Dimwit Dots, from the gag to the colorful packaging.  The goofy character is awesome!

Offline Baked Bears

« Reply #1126 on: May 19, 2018, 06:35:09 AM »
Mr. Goodbye and Mr. Goodbar...

Always liked the gangster parodies. This one livened up a rather plain wrapper.  I especially like the way Norm rendered the car tilted up on two wheels, as well as the gangsters firing willy-nilly at nothing.

"Her-She," though, isn't just weak, but just doesn't fit.  (But then and again, "Hershey" is one of the tougher names to parody.)

Online RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #1127 on: May 19, 2018, 06:57:26 AM »
Always liked the gangster parodies. This one livened up a rather plain wrapper.  I especially like the way Norm rendered the car tilted up on two wheels, as well as the gangsters firing willy-nilly at nothing.

"Her-She," though, isn't just weak, but just doesn't fit.  (But then and again, "Hershey" is one of the tougher names to parody.)

Agreed, love the car and gangsters.  I thought "Hershey" should have been something like "Hearse-y."

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #1128 on: May 19, 2018, 09:01:49 AM »
I thought "Hershey" should have been something like "Hearse-y."
or "He-shot"?

Offline Swiski

« Reply #1129 on: May 21, 2018, 05:01:17 AM »
Caged and Cadet dog food...

Here's another one where I cannot locate a 70s-era match for the actual packaging. Just a faded ghost sign and the cat food label with the "chevron" design.

Online RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #1130 on: May 21, 2018, 05:08:30 AM »
I never recognized the product, but the can top looked so awesome, and I liked the dog, so this was middle of the pack for me (pun intended  :P)

Offline Swiski

« Reply #1131 on: May 24, 2018, 04:47:01 AM »
Another gangster parody! Contrac and Contac...

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #1132 on: May 24, 2018, 08:42:48 AM »
Another gangster parody! Contrac and Contac...

Do you think the 1972 release of THE GODFATHER was an influence in the number of mob/gangster WPs? 
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Online RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #1133 on: May 24, 2018, 03:14:21 PM »
Do you think the 1972 release of THE GODFATHER was an influence in the number of mob/gangster WPs?

Not sure about the Godfather connection, but the "cartridges" link certainly works from blades to bullets.  The package replication was great, and I always knew what this Wacky parodied.  No great characters, but still a decent Wacky IMO.

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #1134 on: May 24, 2018, 05:33:20 PM »
Always wondered why the product background in the parody is completely devoid of color.  Did the real product ever actually look like that?  Not a great marketing strategy if you ask me.

Online RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #1135 on: May 24, 2018, 06:11:15 PM »
Always wondered why the product background in the parody is completely devoid of color.  Did the real product ever actually look like that?  Not a great marketing strategy if you ask me.

My recollection is that the actual product had a mostly white package, with a capsule featured fairly prominently on the left side, just like the Wacky

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #1136 on: May 25, 2018, 04:20:34 PM »
Ok, I see your point, the real product package isn't exactly bursting with color either.  But changing the large capsule/bullet from color to b/w gives the parody a more overall b/w feel, to me at least.  I also tend to believe the exact matching real product may be a little different than the one posted, maybe a perfect match with the parody after all.  But I couldn't find anything closer in a Google search.

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #1137 on: May 25, 2018, 04:23:50 PM »
Just occurred to me to check Rusty's old site, and there it is.  Capsule in b/w on the real product.

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #1138 on: May 25, 2018, 04:34:58 PM »
I'm confused. Don't you guys see the real packaging photo next to the parody?

I can see both original and WP in your post.
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline Swiski

« Reply #1139 on: May 28, 2018, 07:42:50 PM »
Big Banana and Bic Banana. Did the artist take creative liberty with this, or was there actually a green box?

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #1140 on: May 29, 2018, 05:21:42 PM »
Big Banana and Bic Banana. Did the artist take creative liberty with this, or was there actually a green box?
Don't remember if there was a green box, but I suspect that the box color is creative, as I see it matching a ripening banana peel [between green and yellow].

Online RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #1141 on: May 29, 2018, 05:41:42 PM »
Don't remember if there was a green box, but I suspect that the box color is creative, as I see it matching a ripening banana peel [between green and yellow].

That sounds good!  I couldn't find a green package, but I am terrible at finding these kinds of images.

I really like the gag, and remember putting it on a notebook for school.

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #1142 on: May 29, 2018, 06:38:02 PM »

To the question of the green box, I'm thinking maybe another possibility is that the parody was based on a ballpoint pen rather than the felt tip marker real product shown?  Note the banana in the Wacky has what looks like a metallic ballpoint.  So maybe the green box is based on a pen product which was less prevalent than the markers?  Just a wild guess.

Speaking of felt tip markers, does anyone remember the brand name of markers where they came in a box, in a range of colors, and the box had a cartoon drawing of a smiling face where the crescent-shaped open-mouth smile was die-cut to reveal the marker colors inside?  We had those all the time as kids but for the life of me I can't remember the brand.

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #1143 on: May 30, 2018, 03:45:51 PM »
Just reposting MoldRush's post so it's easier to read/notice...and I don't recall the marker brand, either:

To the question of the green box, I'm thinking maybe another possibility is that the parody was based on a ballpoint pen rather than the felt tip marker real product shown?  Note the banana in the Wacky has what looks like a metallic ballpoint.  So maybe the green box is based on a pen product which was less prevalent than the markers?  Just a wild guess.

Speaking of felt tip markers, does anyone remember the brand name of markers where they came in a box, in a range of colors, and the box had a cartoon drawing of a smiling face where the crescent-shaped open-mouth smile was die-cut to reveal the marker colors inside?  We had those all the time as kids but for the life of me I can't remember the brand.

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #1144 on: May 30, 2018, 04:16:02 PM »
this 'school value' pack is close, at least in overall color and the font on the right side.
the wacky seems to be a combo of this pack and the single pack that has the image of the banana on it, possibly?

Offline Swiski

« Reply #1145 on: May 30, 2018, 06:10:44 PM »
this 'school value' pack is close, at least in overall color and the font on the right side.
the wacky seems to be a combo of this pack and the single pack that has the image of the banana on it, possibly?

(Image removed from quote.)

I think we have a match!!

Offline Bigmuc13

« Reply #1146 on: June 01, 2018, 07:34:38 AM »
It might be based on the pen and not the felt tip shown.  The price on the felt tip is 29 cents and the price on the Wacky is 19 cents (per pound).  I would imagine the pen would be a little cheaper so maybe there was a single pen that had that background, same as the value pack.
Still looking for Series 17

Offline Swiski

« Reply #1147 on: June 01, 2018, 09:44:04 AM »
Emptimo and Optimo cigars. Not sure what the word Absents is replacing in the parody. Anyone?

Offline drono

« Reply #1148 on: June 01, 2018, 01:19:55 PM »
Emptimo and Optimo cigars. Not sure what the word Absents is replacing in the parody. Anyone?

It's replacing "Sports" but keeping with the theme of missing cigars.  Missing = Absent

Offline Swiski

« Reply #1149 on: June 01, 2018, 08:25:16 PM »

It's replacing "Sports" but keeping with the theme of missing cigars.  Missing = Absent

OK. I wasn't sure since Optimo made different types of cigars in this same package design - Sports, Cigarillos, Sweets, among others.

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #1150 on: June 02, 2018, 06:32:22 AM »

I don't think there's an equivalent flavor. They probably just picked a word that fit best with the parody.

Online RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #1151 on: June 02, 2018, 08:56:19 AM »
I don't think there's an equivalent flavor. They probably just picked a word that fit best with the parody.

I think you're right.

I never really liked this one as a kid, but I think it was because I didn't recognize the product at all.  Looking at it now, with the original packaging, it was a well done Wacky with a pretty darn good gag.

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #1152 on: June 03, 2018, 11:18:05 AM »
Any real product that already has a character, mascot, etc you can work from is an ideal choice.  Nothing against added characters, but this just flows perfectly.  The kind that make you do a double-take.  Love the way Emptimo/Optimo look side by side.  Great name too.

Offline Swiski

« Reply #1153 on: June 05, 2018, 04:26:45 AM »
Leek Oil Dripper vs. Lee Oil Filter...

Online RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #1154 on: June 05, 2018, 06:56:42 AM »
Leek Oil Dripper vs. Lee Oil Filter...

Not be a bad gag, and the art is OK, with a nice leaky car, but this one never grabbed me.  Maybe because there was no character?  I also didn't recognize the product.