Author Topic: Gag Criticism, Variation, and Packaging  (Read 640483 times)

Offline Baked Bears

Re: Gag Criticism, Variation, and Packaging
« Reply #1050 on: April 18, 2018, 05:46:18 PM »
Yes! I admire how he used the brown stripes on the left of the actual pack to represent smoke stacks on the parody.

Also to represent the foul filthiness of the habit.  (Trust me, I'm one to know and guilty as charged.)

And, yes, all of those many factory buildings are very cool.  A lesser artist would have simply settled for one.

Offline Swiski

« Reply #1051 on: April 19, 2018, 05:24:29 AM »
Footsie Rool and Tootsie Roll...

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #1052 on: April 19, 2018, 07:56:01 AM »

I used to eat these things all the time as a kid. Loved the big Tootsie roll "log" with break off pieces, although I think that's all we could get back then:

aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline mikecho

« Reply #1053 on: April 19, 2018, 08:29:33 AM »
Tootsie Roll are one of my favorites, too - including the big one! And I just thought of another candidate for Old School - Tootsie Roll Flavor Rolls. As far as I know, they first appeared in the 1970s and I've lo-o-o-oved them ever since! I only wish that they didn't come just in Midgee size.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2019, 06:13:19 PM by mikecho »

Offline Baked Bears

« Reply #1054 on: April 19, 2018, 03:30:03 PM »
Are these what you are referring to (or something very similar?)

If so, then yes, these would make an excellent parody!

Offline mikecho

« Reply #1055 on: April 19, 2018, 07:27:00 PM »
Yes, that's exactly what I'm referring to, Rob. When I was a kid, they only came in five flavors: vanilla, cherry, orange, lemon and lime. Nowadays, they've added three more: grape, blue raspberry and green apple. And I lo-o-o-ove all of them!
« Last Edit: July 06, 2019, 06:14:11 PM by mikecho »

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #1056 on: April 20, 2018, 03:59:38 AM »

I always liked this one, and still call the candy by the Wacky name.  There wasn't much to the original packaging, but that's a wonderfully detailed shoe, and it just looks so silly that to me it makes the Wacky.  But, the shoe obviously isn't all rubber, and there might have been better taglines.  Maybe "Rubber Flavor" and "The Candy Bar for Heels"?

Offline Swiski

« Reply #1057 on: April 20, 2018, 11:04:40 AM »
Finishing up the 6th Series - Bum Bums and Pom Poms...

Offline Scheres

• toyghoul.com
« Reply #1058 on: April 20, 2018, 11:08:20 AM »
I've seen Bum Bums forever and never even thought about what it was a parody of. never heard of Pom Poms, Missed that one.

Offline sco(o)t

« Reply #1059 on: April 20, 2018, 01:04:42 PM »
I've seen Bum Bums forever and never even thought about what it was a parody of. never heard of Pom Poms, Missed that one.

Same here... was this possibly more of a regional item? We certainly had the Sugar Daddy's advertised on the box, as well as Black Cow, but I don't remember seeing these at any of my candy pushers' dens of sugars. I take it these were similar to Sugar Babies.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2018, 01:09:07 PM by sco(o)t »

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #1060 on: April 20, 2018, 01:05:00 PM »
The word "bum" is politically incorrect . . . we should probably use the term "urban outdoorsman"

Offline mikecho

« Reply #1061 on: April 21, 2018, 10:00:11 AM »
Same here... was this possibly more of a regional item? We certainly had the Sugar Daddy's advertised on the box, as well as Black Cow, but I don't remember seeing these at any of my candy pushers' dens of sugars. I take it these were similar to Sugar Babies.
I don't remember them either-and I saw a lot of candy in the stores back in the day. But Wackys have done regional products before and recently. For example, MOB Coffee from ANS7 was really MJB Coffee, a brand found only in the western US. Another product that was only found in that part of the country (at least in the 1970s) was Putrid's Not Goodie from OLDS4, which was really Pearson's Nut Goodie. (By the way, did I get the first part of the OLDS4 Wacky's name right? If not, let me know and I'll change it to what it actually is.)   UPDATE: My mom, when I asked her, said that she remembered Poms Poms. She said that they were similar to Milk Duds.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2018, 09:54:59 AM by mikecho »

Offline Swiski

« Reply #1062 on: April 23, 2018, 04:35:35 AM »
Kicking off the 7th Series...would you eat a Big Muc or a Big Mac?

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #1063 on: April 23, 2018, 05:40:37 AM »
This one always made me smile, and, once again, I still use the name.  There wasn't much to do with the box, but they nailed the packaging and logos, and the hamburger is sufficiently messy to go with the gag.

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #1064 on: April 23, 2018, 04:20:32 PM »
I don't remember Pom Poms from my candy stores either, but I think I got small boxes as Halloween trick or treats a few times.  Pretty sure they were a stiffer caramel than Sugar Babies, more like Milk Duds except perfectly round, like malted milk balls.

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #1065 on: April 23, 2018, 04:38:36 PM »
I don't remember Pom Poms from my candy stores either, but I think I got small boxes as Halloween trick or treats a few times.  Pretty sure they were a stiffer caramel than Sugar Babies, more like Milk Duds except perfectly round, like malted milk balls.
I think I had Pom Poms back in the day, but maybe I'm just thinking of Milk Duds

Joke is a bit awkward. Maybe 'The candy that's good as a handout'

Interesting return of Nabisco brands to the Wacky lineup since the die-cuts. It won't last long though.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2018, 04:41:01 PM by Fanatical_and_Sickly »

Offline mikecho

« Reply #1066 on: April 24, 2018, 11:09:40 AM »
I think I had Pom Poms back in the day, but maybe I'm just thinking of Milk Duds

Joke is a bit awkward. Maybe 'The candy that's good as a handout'

Interesting return of Nabisco brands to the Wacky lineup since the die-cuts. It won't last long though.
You're right. Monsterettes (Oysterettes) was a Nabisco product-based Wacky that was intended for the 9th series and was never officially released until Flashback 1, many years later.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2018, 01:09:46 AM by mikecho »

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #1067 on: April 24, 2018, 03:21:25 PM »
Monsterettes (Oysterettes) was a Nabisco product-based Wacky that was intended for the 9th series and was never released until Flashback 1, many years later.
Unless you count the "unofficial" Duane Dimock's Lost Wackys.

Offline mikecho

« Reply #1068 on: April 25, 2018, 01:08:57 AM »
Yeah, I guess you could say that. Okay, it's fixed.

Offline Swiski

« Reply #1069 on: April 25, 2018, 04:45:07 AM »
My-T-Fink and My-T-Fine...

Offline sco(o)t

« Reply #1070 on: April 25, 2018, 12:54:30 PM »
My-T-Fink and My-T-Fine...

As a youth, when I pulled this one, I had to look up the word "fink". Webster's definition gave two parts. I am paraphrasing but was something like:
     1) noun - an unpleasant or contemptible person
     2) verb - to inform on someone to the authorities
I think "fink" might have been  a bit passe even in the mid '70s, but I know kids my age weren't using it. I never could see the connection between a fink and someone over-weight as was implied by the image and "chunk flavor" tag. I guess we would come to know this as body-shaming. With all that aside, the pudding and bowl are very well rendered. Just not one of my favorites. Besides, we were a Jello household.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #1071 on: April 25, 2018, 02:48:11 PM »
As a youth, when I pulled this one, I had to look up the word "fink". Webster's definition gave two parts. I am paraphrasing but was something like:
I think "fink" might have been  a bit passe even in the mid '70s, but I know kids my age weren't using it. I never could see the connection between a fink and someone over-weight as was implied by the image and "chunk flavor" tag. I guess we would come to know this as body-shaming. With all that aside, the pudding and bowl are very well rendered. Just not one of my favorites. Besides, we were a Jello household.

Glad to hear that I wasn't the only kid looking up the occasional Wacky word in the dictionary.

I think it would have worked better if the main character was swiping someone else's pudding.  The best I could ever guess about this one is that the chubby guy was just not sharing, making him a fink.  But, as you said, the box is very well executed.

Offline freetoes

« Reply #1072 on: April 25, 2018, 05:01:22 PM »

"Fink out" had a meaning similar to "bail on." Calling someone a fink would probably have gotten one beaten up, though not because the word was offensive.

This was one of the few Series 7's I missed back in the day. They really nailed the packaging, but I don't remember the product either.

Offline Swiski

« Reply #1073 on: April 27, 2018, 09:18:12 AM »
Fibby's and Libby's...

« Last Edit: April 27, 2018, 09:22:18 AM by Swiski »

Offline sco(o)t

« Reply #1074 on: April 27, 2018, 10:58:58 AM »
Fibby's and Libby's...

This one seems more pertinent than ever. Not one of my personal favorites but a good solid Wacky.

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #1075 on: April 27, 2018, 03:54:24 PM »
Fibby's and Libby's...

Probably another underrated title, as are many from the "over abundant" middle series.  The Libby's product line was very quintessential 70's, so it's good that it got the Wacky treatment.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #1076 on: April 27, 2018, 04:09:47 PM »
Fibby's and Libby's...

I always liked the name, and they did the packaging well.  I appreciated this one more once I understood why something called "Watergate" was messing up the TV schedule.

Offline Swiski

« Reply #1077 on: April 29, 2018, 06:02:37 AM »
Wake up and feed the baby! You have a choice of either Gurgles or Gerber. I think the actual box is Barley, but I couldn't find an image.

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #1078 on: April 29, 2018, 06:07:25 AM »
Never really caught my eye as a kid due to the simple coloring scheme, but this is another masterwork of art with that spot-on rendition of the baby and the perfect lettering. While the box color matches the Oatmeal box, I'd say the joke is based on the Barley version.
And that 'poor spout' always cracked me up.

« Last Edit: April 29, 2018, 06:14:12 AM by Fanatical_and_Sickly »

Offline Swiski

« Reply #1079 on: April 29, 2018, 06:18:20 AM »
Never really caught my eye as a kid due to the simple coloring scheme, but this is another masterwork of art with that spot-on rendition of the baby and the perfect lettering. While the box color matches the Oatmeal box, I'd say the joke is based on the Barley version.

(Image removed from quote.)
Thanks for posting this image! Nice to have the exact product. You're right about the box color. They used the red color from the Oatmeal box, not the orange from the Barley box.

Offline sco(o)t

« Reply #1080 on: April 30, 2018, 11:56:11 AM »
Wake up and feed the baby! You have a choice of either Gurgles or Gerber. I think the actual box is Barley, but I couldn't find an image.

A nice solid Wacky. These are the kind that kept me coming back. Great artwork and gags that are good and go together. We used to draw on this sticker to see who could make the baby look even worse.

Offline mikecho

« Reply #1081 on: April 30, 2018, 12:11:00 PM »
A nice solid Wacky. These are the kind that kept me coming back. Great artwork and gags that are good and go together. We used to draw on this sticker to see who could make the baby look even worse.
That last line made me laugh so hard that I coughed! Even when I was a kid, I never even thought of drawing on my Wackys (not that I'd have done it anyway; I knew better than to do so even back then).
« Last Edit: April 30, 2018, 12:15:31 PM by mikecho »

Offline mikecho

« Reply #1082 on: April 30, 2018, 12:21:39 PM »

(Image removed from quote.)
You know, I never even saw that last part until now-and I even have it in the Abrams book! In fact, I'd probably have never even noticed it unless someone mentioned it. Could it have been a goof, or was it done intentionally? Well, I guess we'll probably never know.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #1083 on: May 01, 2018, 01:42:45 AM »

I always liked this one because of the fantastic baby.  "Poor spout" is a great little extra gag.  Of course, I hate the apostrophes in mama's and papa's.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #1084 on: May 01, 2018, 01:45:31 AM »
You know, I never even saw that last part until now-and I even have it in the Abrams book! In fact, I'd probably have never even noticed it unless someone mentioned it. Could it have been a goof, or was it done intentionally? Well, I guess we'll probably never know.

Not a goof - it's a crummy "pour" spout!