Author Topic: Gag Criticism, Variation, and Packaging  (Read 640312 times)

Offline Baked Bears

Re: Gag Criticism and Variation
« Reply #910 on: July 09, 2017, 06:06:53 PM »
Yet loaded with taglines (especially when compared to other titles in the original series.)  Somebody - Jay, perhaps? - was really getting into the word play.

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #911 on: July 09, 2017, 06:57:07 PM »
Kind of a low key Wacky, with no character, but I always really liked this one because of the bullet holes. Very clever.
Much like the marriage of Wackys with monster characters, I've always loved the titles in which bullets and bullet holes figure prominently.  Shots, ShotTissue, Graft, and Slayer Aspirin have always been favorites of mine.  Don't know what it is about Wackys and bullets, but they just seem to work together.  And, as mentioned, an added character doesn't seem to be necessary.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #912 on: July 10, 2017, 02:16:24 AM »
Graft Cheese and Kraft Cheese...

I like how the "Graft" logo was reshaped as a bullet, and they certainly captured the packaging.  But, I find the gag and various taglines confusing - how does graft relate to a game warden, or shooting cowards?

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #913 on: July 10, 2017, 02:44:01 AM »
I like how the "Graft" logo was reshaped as a bullet, and they certainly captured the packaging.  But, I find the gag and various taglines confusing - how does graft relate to a game warden, or shooting cowards?

Personally I think the "Shot Full of Holes" and "Approved by Game Wardens" need switched to really capture the packaging.

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #914 on: July 10, 2017, 05:09:20 AM »
always liked this one as well, but agree, the gags are rather scattershot

Offline Baked Bears

« Reply #915 on: July 10, 2017, 08:29:51 AM »

True, the gags could be tighter thematically, though there is a loose "bullet" association.  Like "Contrac," etc., many of the earlier WP drew inspiration from the days when corrupt politicians and Tommy Gun wielding gangsters were bedfellows.  Seen in this light, I would speculate that "graft" was intended to be synonymous with "corruption," and that if somebody involved with mob related activities was considered "yellow," they were seen as a deficit and quickly eliminated.  "Game warden," though, is a bit of a stretch and an odd choice.  (I suppose we'll never really know, but it would be interesting to discover the rationale behind the gags - such as if they were inspired by an old "B" gangster movie, one of hundreds that are now lost and buried in history.)

Offline DrSushi

« Reply #916 on: July 10, 2017, 04:44:10 PM »

Yes, they are of varying caliber.

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #917 on: July 13, 2017, 10:59:48 AM »
Yes, they are of varying caliber.

Sometimes they just don't hit the primer.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2017, 05:05:37 AM by NationalSpittoon »

Offline Swiski

« Reply #918 on: July 19, 2017, 05:06:20 AM »
Finishing off the 5th series...

Triks and Trix

Shots and Dots

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #919 on: July 19, 2017, 07:34:31 AM »
Everything about Shots is pretty good. Triks is a very memorable and one of the better wackies because of the Trix rabbit, but the gags aren't very corresponding to the box. (Unless a different box is more like it.)

Offline freetoes

« Reply #920 on: July 19, 2017, 04:12:27 PM »
The artwork on both is dead-on.  The Triks rabbit is virtually identical to the real thing; and except for the wording, Shots required almost no changes from the original design.

A bit of trivia on Chumps:  I have it Tied with Armor and Taster's Choke for the lowest word count in the original 16.  Even counting "Chumps" twice, there are five.  (This is counting the 100% on Taster's Choke as one word.)

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #921 on: July 19, 2017, 04:18:23 PM »
I personally think "100%" shouldn't be considered a word, but eh.

Offline Swiski

« Reply #922 on: July 23, 2017, 06:08:35 AM »
Onto the 6th Series!

Mold Rush and Gold Rush...

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #923 on: July 23, 2017, 06:12:48 AM »
Never was a fan of Mold Rush. The packaging didn't give much room for a gag, but the change from "Gold" to "Mold" is a good one. The reason this card is a standout for me is probably because I'm always looking for a centered one.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #924 on: July 23, 2017, 07:29:57 AM »
Onto the 6th Series!

Mold Rush and Gold Rush...

I loved this one, as it was a good gag, and so well matched something I also bought at the time, and it had dopey faces.

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #925 on: July 23, 2017, 08:30:42 PM »
I loved this one, as it was a good gag, and so well matched something I also bought at the time, and it had dopey faces.
Agree, this one scores high on product familiarity.  I was highly addicted to sugary bubble gums back then, and those little drawstring pouches were a mainstay.  Post-OS Wackys my addiction kicked up a notch when Bazooka Joe introduced the massive pack-sized slabs of gum sandwiched between two cards containing enlarged versions of the wax paper comics.

Offline Tom Keen

« Reply #926 on: July 24, 2017, 03:43:07 PM »
Is this a 0% Saunders piece?  The original product packaging is boring so the wacky was destined to be too but it seems the wacky packaging is even more bland.  I do like the gag and the product is very recognizable so that helps!

Offline Swiski

« Reply #927 on: July 24, 2017, 09:11:46 PM »
Piwi and Kiwi...

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #928 on: July 25, 2017, 03:33:46 AM »
Piwi and Kiwi...

Probably one that couldn't be released today. Not sure why pygmies get so muddy, but a nice simple Wacky.
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #929 on: July 26, 2017, 03:09:34 PM »
Series 6 : #3

Eviltime vs. Ovaltine

Be sure to drink your ovaltine!
« Last Edit: June 30, 2019, 05:48:40 AM by NationalSpittoon »

Offline Swiski

« Reply #930 on: July 26, 2017, 03:13:42 PM »
I found a nice Ovaltine packaging...

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #931 on: July 26, 2017, 03:21:20 PM »
fantastically rendered title.
only thing 'off' is the Chokolate Flavor - it doesn't tie in with the gag. Maybe Coven, Eye of Newt, or something at least vaguely related to potions or witchcraft.

Offline Baked Bears

« Reply #932 on: July 26, 2017, 09:05:08 PM »
only thing 'off' is the Chokolate Flavor - it doesn't tie in with the gag. Maybe Coven, Eye of Newt, or something at least vaguely related to potions or witchcraft.

I agree.  Great title.

Perhaps "Occult" or "Supernatural" flavor?

Offline Gurgle

• recommends zircon-encrusted tweezers
« Reply #933 on: July 26, 2017, 09:50:56 PM »
"Chokelate" works fine for me. Looks like pretty disgusting witches brew (which should probably be "witches' brew" or "witch's brew.")

Offline sco(o)t

« Reply #934 on: July 27, 2017, 03:36:18 AM »
Or, perhaps, Choke-a-lot. 

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #935 on: July 27, 2017, 03:57:26 PM »
I always liked this one, and still think about it when I watch the movie "A Christmas Story."

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
« Reply #936 on: July 27, 2017, 06:15:59 PM »
Series 6 : #3

Eviltime vs. Ovaltine

Be sure to drink your ovaltine!
Love the art on this, not enough bright purple in wackys!
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline Baked Bears

« Reply #937 on: July 27, 2017, 11:39:49 PM »
Love the art on this, not enough bright purple in wackys!

Very observant and true.  Purple does tend to be lacking in Wackys.  (But then and again, I suppose it's lacking in a lot of packaging.) 

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #938 on: July 28, 2017, 12:20:17 AM »
Somehow I've never visited this thread.  I thought it was about gag criticism....

As someone who has spent a LOT of time tracking down, archiving and sharing scans of my original Wacky Packages product pieces, seeing so many of my scans liberally downloaded, repurposed and reposted here, I'm more than a little bummed out....

We already have a thread dedicated to Wacky Packages Original product images, don't we?  One which I was pretty active on: 

http://www.wackypackagesforum.com/index.php?topic=163.msg78740#msg78740

How did "Gag criticism and variation" turn into an original product images thread?   Sigh...
Jason Liebig - A swell TV host (currently on History Channel) who used to oversee Marvel Comics' X-Men - now creator and curator of WishbookWeb.com and CollectingCandy.com, a celebration of candy packaging, marketing and the people behind it all

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #939 on: July 28, 2017, 04:19:43 AM »
Somehow I've never visited this thread.  I thought it was about gag criticism....

As someone who has spent a LOT of time tracking down, archiving and sharing scans of my original Wacky Packages product pieces, seeing so many of my scans liberally downloaded, repurposed and reposted here, I'm more than a little bummed out....

We already have a thread dedicated to Wacky Packages Original product images, don't we?  One which I was pretty active on: 

How did "Gag criticism and variation" turn into an original product images thread?   Sigh...

The images are used for reference and to make gags that work better with the actual packaging. Did you not see the discussion up there about chokelate?

Also, the last post was March 7, 2016 so not every active...
« Last Edit: August 18, 2017, 05:41:11 AM by NationalSpittoon »

Offline Swiski

« Reply #940 on: July 28, 2017, 10:01:42 AM »

Hi Jason. No disrespect to you or your image collection. Nobody profits from the use of your photos. I believe a few pages back I gave you and others credit for your rare original packaging images. They are truly appreciated here!

That Wacky Packages Original Product Images thread has been outdated for quite some time. This thread is a fresh revamp, starting from scratch in chronological order of the series. Showing comparison images of the actual products helps in the criticism process, determining if the artist nailed the parody or took too many creative liberties.

Offline NationalSpittoon

Re: Gag Criticism, Variation, and Packaging
« Reply #941 on: July 28, 2017, 01:41:36 PM »
Series 6 : #4

Sugar Daffy vs. Sugar Daddy

« Last Edit: June 30, 2019, 05:49:59 AM by NationalSpittoon »

Offline Swiski

« Reply #942 on: July 30, 2017, 05:55:21 AM »
Series 6 : #4

Sugar Daffy vs. Sugar Daddy

I like the guy in the straight jacket! He belongs with the guys on the Sunshine cracker parodies.

Offline Swiski

« Reply #943 on: July 30, 2017, 05:56:53 AM »
Run-A-Way and One-A-Day...

Offline sco(o)t

« Reply #944 on: July 30, 2017, 08:23:08 AM »
Run-A-Way and One-A-Day...

One of my top 20 favorite Wackies.

anything