Author Topic: Gag Criticism, Variation, and Packaging  (Read 640441 times)

Online mikecho

Re: Gag Criticism, Variation, and Packaging
« Reply #2660 on: March 25, 2021, 11:09:19 AM »
I've got a great idea for anyone who may want to keep this thread going.

Why not do the OLDS run as if it was a continuation of the OS run? This way, the 1970s can be continued for a little while with what we have now, then the 1985 series can be done along with any 1980s OLDS series that have been done already (plus any more that may be done in the future), then finally the 1991 series can also be done along with any 1990s OLDS series that, again, may be done in the future.

Thoughts, anyone?
« Last Edit: March 27, 2021, 01:07:38 PM by mikecho »

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #2661 on: March 25, 2021, 03:44:44 PM »
I too misread as a liquor, not only from the coloring, but also the bottle strikes me as somewhat flask-shaped, which you would never see with wine.  Could also be a round jug which is or at least used to be commonly used for inexpensive wines.  I should have known that port is a type of wine, but it never occurred to me that “Gillo” was parodying Gallo (duh, how did I miss that) which has long been synonymous with wines.

Offline Swiski

« Reply #2662 on: March 25, 2021, 07:08:03 PM »
I would love to hear the story why the color of the liquid inside the bottle was more amber than red. If the parody was to simulate a shark in ocean water, why not have the liquid blue? Did the artist originally have red liquid in the bottle, but his editor told him it was too garish, looking like a sea of blood after a shark attack? The Jaws craze was around that time as well.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2021, 07:11:52 PM by Swiski »

Offline roughwriter

• Rough Writer
« Reply #2663 on: March 26, 2021, 11:27:32 AM »
Am I the only one who noticed that the tail sticking out below the label doesn't match the shark head above it? I've never seen any shark with a tail like that. It has always bugged me!

Offline lucidjc

« Reply #2664 on: March 26, 2021, 12:36:07 PM »
Am I the only one who noticed that the tail sticking out below the label doesn't match the shark head above it? I've never seen any shark with a tail like that. It has always bugged me!

Being a fish keeper my whole life has made me wonder where that tail came from. You are 100% right, that's the wrong tail.

Jim

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #2665 on: March 26, 2021, 12:38:18 PM »

Perhaps we are seeing the tail of a lamprey attached to the shark but hidden by the label   :]

aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #2666 on: March 26, 2021, 12:39:26 PM »
Just happened to notice yesterday, as there was discussion around the coloring used, type of beverage, etc.

It’s pretty common for fish in general to be drawn in an oversimplified way, even by otherwise talented illustrators.  I guess it’s just always been considered minor inconsequential details compared to how a muscular superhero’s anatomy is drawn for example.  Unless an artist has specifically studied or specializes in wildlife, it’s probably just something they’ve never really looked at all that closely.  In the case of Gillo Port, it’s quite possible the upper portion of the shark looks good because of the painter’s familiarity with the ubiquitous Jaws posters of the times, which of course shows nothing behind the head of the shark, and therefore the rest of the “shark” was looked upon as “just another fish”.  As a small kid I was obsessed with sharks after seeing Jaws and studied pictures so I could draw them fairly accurately, but without that extra interest in learning those details, I could have just as easily drawn a shark’s head on a generic fish’s body.

Offline Gurgle

• recommends zircon-encrusted tweezers
« Reply #2667 on: March 27, 2021, 12:35:26 PM »
The wrong tail has come up before. It somehow makes the shark seem extra evil to me.

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #2668 on: March 27, 2021, 03:30:16 PM »
I would love to hear the story why the color of the liquid inside the bottle was more amber than red.
The amber color would be close to correct if it was a Tawny port.
I’m not sure if Gallo did other than Ruby though.

Offline Swiski

« Reply #2669 on: March 28, 2021, 04:27:10 AM »
The amber color would be close to correct if it was a Tawny port.
I’m not sure if Gallo did other than Ruby though.

I think you're onto something with the Tawny Port. The color on the parody art is closer to the 1977 ad below, but the bottle and label are different. I also noticed Gallo sold 1 Pint bottles which look closer to the bottle shape on the parody.

Offline Swiski

« Reply #2670 on: March 31, 2021, 07:58:16 AM »
I'll kick off the random comparison posts. I will post these occasionally as time allows.

Here are all the Gadzooka parodies over the years, from the die-cuts to the recent 2021 monthly set. A few are from GPK and online POD sets.

I included the poster version of Gadzooka since the artwork is completely different.

I didn't include Sugarmess and Big Baddy since those titles ARE the parodied product under the Gadzooka family.

I'm also not including how many times the parody has been reprinted. This is strictly unique pieces of artwork shown.

Future entries?

Bitzooka (bitcoin related)
Barzooka (alcoholic gum)
Birdzooka (gum found by birds to build nests)
Bedzooka (chewing gum to put on the bedpost overnight)
Basszooka (fishy flavored gum)
Bugzooka (gum for insects)
« Last Edit: March 31, 2021, 10:48:56 AM by Swiski »

Online mikecho

« Reply #2671 on: March 31, 2021, 10:09:55 AM »
I'll kick off the random comparison posts. I will post these occasionally as time allows.

Here are all the Gadzooka parodies over the years, from the die-cuts to the recent 2021 monthly set. I included the poster version since the artwork is completely different. I cheated a little adding the Sugar Mess parody, but it is a Gadzooka gum...

Future entries?

Barzooka (alcoholic gum)
Swiski, if you want to see what Wackys you missed (and there's a few of them), look up pg. 2, Reply #37 of "What is the most parodied product among all Wackys?"

Offline Swiski

« Reply #2672 on: March 31, 2021, 10:45:06 AM »
Swiski, if you want to see what Wackys you missed (and there's a few of them), look up pg. 2, Reply #37 of "What is the most parodied product among all Wackys?"

Thanks for the missing entries! I removed Sugarmess and didn't include Big Baddy since those titles ARE the parody, under the Gadzooka "umbrella".

I'm also not including how many times the parody has been reprinted. This is strictly unique pieces of artwork shown.

Offline roughwriter

• Rough Writer
« Reply #2673 on: April 01, 2021, 05:25:29 AM »

If you'd like, I can draw up roughs on some of your ideas...

Online mikecho

« Reply #2674 on: April 02, 2021, 10:35:33 AM »
Thanks for the missing entries! I removed Sugarmess and didn't include Big Baddy since those titles ARE the parody, under the Gadzooka "umbrella".

Oh, I never expected to say how many times Gadzooka's been done, but did you see how many times it's been done? Like I said before, is this a perfect example of overkill or is it just me?

One question: what series did the Gadzooka between Braves and Bazonga come from? I've never seen that one before and I'd like to include it in the list.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2021, 10:37:20 AM by mikecho »

Offline Swiski

« Reply #2675 on: April 02, 2021, 11:04:42 AM »
One question: what series did the Gadzooka between Braves and Bazonga come from? I've never seen that one before and I'd like to include it in the list.

That is from the 50th Anniversary set. There were different parallel border color variants. I just picked the blue one since it's a nice sharp image.

Online mikecho

« Reply #2676 on: April 07, 2021, 03:01:21 PM »
That is from the 50th Anniversary set. There were different parallel border color variants. I just picked the blue one since it's a nice sharp image.
Okay, thanks.

Offline Gurgle

• recommends zircon-encrusted tweezers
« Reply #2677 on: April 09, 2021, 07:59:57 PM »
I love seeing these all together.

Here are all the Gadzooka parodies over the years, from the die-cuts to the recent 2021 monthly set. A few are from GPK and online POD sets.

I included the poster version of Gadzooka since the artwork is completely different.

I didn't include Sugarmess and Big Baddy since those titles ARE the parodied product under the Gadzooka family.

Future entries?

Barzooka (alcoholic gum)