Author Topic: Gag Criticism, Variation, and Packaging  (Read 640516 times)

Offline MoldRush

Re: Gag Criticism, Variation, and Packaging
« Reply #2590 on: February 26, 2021, 11:31:57 PM »
Dr. Nest's toothbrush compared to Dr. West's toothbrush. They really needed to exaggerate the packaging shape to fill the card space!

Unlike some of the other stick-shaped products, distorting this one too much would hurt the credibility of the toothbrush inside.  The limited shortening used already causes the toothbrush to look more like a hairbrush.  Nice details on the birds and nest though, given the limited space.  I wonder if this was the dominant toothbrush product of the era.  I guess Oral-B has been around a long time, but I don’t remember there being a ton of choices for toothbrushes like there are today.

Offline Zenergizer

« Reply #2591 on: February 27, 2021, 04:53:54 AM »
Love seeing the original picture of this, I had never heard of it beforehand.

It makes me appreciate the Wacky more and more!

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #2592 on: February 27, 2021, 09:14:02 AM »
I like the way the black microscope (?) black figure on the original is transformed into a bird on the Wacky. Nice touch I would not have appreciated as much having not seen this product before.
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline Swiski

« Reply #2593 on: March 01, 2021, 10:29:05 AM »
Real Garbage Can-dy compared to Garbage Can-dy...

Offline roughwriter

• Rough Writer
« Reply #2594 on: March 01, 2021, 10:54:08 AM »
See, I always thought this one was a mistake, because they never changed the name of the product. I'm not sure how this one avoided a cease and desist letter.

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #2595 on: March 01, 2021, 11:00:31 AM »
I'm not sure how this one avoided a cease and desist letter.

Gee, me neither...

:]

Online drono

« Reply #2596 on: March 01, 2021, 11:47:45 AM »
See, I always thought this one was a mistake, because they never changed the name of the product. I'm not sure how this one avoided a cease and desist letter.

Gee, me neither...

Sheldon Cooper: Sarcasm?

No?  It's a Topps product, so why would there be a cease and desist.

Offline mikecho

« Reply #2597 on: March 01, 2021, 12:07:30 PM »
Topps did change the name slightly from Garbage Can-dy to Real Garbage Can-dy.

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #2598 on: March 01, 2021, 03:06:50 PM »
Yes, it’s a different kind of title change altogether, compared to the usual formula.

I was confused by it too, I thought the hyphen in “Can-dy” was the change, but you can see it’s there in the real product display.

I bought those cans quite a bit, and I think they continued well into the early 80’s.  I’ve seen three different box colors, and I think each “series” also changed the array of can colors.  Don’t remember the candy shapes ever changing though.  There are a number of candy and gum items that I would love to snag a display box from - these, munchy mummies, gold rush, Big Buddy, and a few others.

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #2599 on: March 01, 2021, 03:36:07 PM »
Sheldon Cooper: Sarcasm?

For me, yes

Offline Gurgle

• recommends zircon-encrusted tweezers
« Reply #2600 on: March 01, 2021, 08:47:53 PM »
This is interesting because they art is more about the display than the product itself.

Real Garbage Can-dy compared to Garbage Can-dy...

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #2601 on: March 02, 2021, 05:06:36 AM »
This is interesting because they art is more about the display than the product itself.
And they sorta falsified the manner of packaging itself.  A single can on a backer card, assuming that’s what the parody is trying to convey, never existed.  Imagine how awesome it would have looked if they had done the full counter box as shown.  Couldn’t have included much detail in the garbage cans themselves at that scale, but they probably could have shown them as tiny beat-up metal garbage cans instead of the bright and colorful plastic ones.

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #2602 on: March 02, 2021, 06:41:42 AM »
And they sorta falsified the manner of packaging itself.  A single can on a backer card, assuming that’s what the parody is trying to convey, never existed.  Imagine how awesome it would have looked if they had done the full counter box as shown.  Couldn’t have included much detail in the garbage cans themselves at that scale, but they probably could have shown them as tiny beat-up metal garbage cans instead of the bright and colorful plastic ones.
I always took the image to be of a  closed display box.
The parody distorts the box and moves the title, but I’d say the garbage can emulates the one on the box cover.

Offline Swiski

« Reply #2603 on: March 03, 2021, 02:13:35 PM »
Seven Spies For Russian Documents compared to Seven Seas Russian Dressing

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #2604 on: March 03, 2021, 02:31:05 PM »

This is a fantastic Wacky, but I think it should have been "Dressing for Russian Documents."

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #2605 on: March 03, 2021, 03:55:04 PM »
I always took the image to be of a  closed display box.
The parody distorts the box and moves the title, but I’d say the garbage can emulates the one on the box cover.

(Image removed from quote.)
Looks like a reasonable assumption.

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #2606 on: March 03, 2021, 04:01:21 PM »

Why do folks save vintage packaging and not empty them first, when it makes sense to do so?  Who wants 45-year old salad dressing that’s morphed into spent motor oil?

A few months back I bought a can of vintage Colgate shaving cream on eBay, because i’ve always been nostalgic about that old simple graphic used when we bought shaving cream to spray each other with on Halloween.  Seller’s description reads “can mostly full!”  Do they really think I’m buying it for the CONTENTS?!?!??

Offline Gurgle

« Reply #2607 on: March 03, 2021, 05:56:16 PM »
I know it can be like that. I had an empty can of Billy Beer but people want the full can!

Why do folks save vintage packaging and not empty them first, when it makes sense to do so?  Who wants 45-year old salad dressing that’s morphed into spent motor oil?

A few months back I bought a can of vintage Colgate shaving cream on eBay, because i’ve always been nostalgic about that old simple graphic used when we bought shaving cream to spray each other with on Halloween.  Seller’s description reads “can mostly full!”  Do they really think I’m buying it for the CONTENTS?!?!??

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #2608 on: March 03, 2021, 06:30:27 PM »
I know it can be like that. I had an empty can of Billy Beer but people want the full can!
I’ve seen where that’s more common with collectible cans, but at least with a can you can’t see the horror inside.  Another practice I’ve seen with cans is leaving the pull tab intact but punching a small hole in the bottom to drain the contents.  That would seem a reasonable compromise.

Come to think of it, I still have to empty that shaving cream can.  The horror . . .

Offline Swiski

« Reply #2609 on: March 07, 2021, 07:14:59 AM »
Tipsy Roll Pop compared to Tootsie Roll Pop. This basic design on the real packaging hasn't changed too much over the years.

What's the significance of the ball on the end of the short stick on the parody?

Offline BustedFinger

• Just a simple collector. No books, no websites, no arguments!
  • I wonder where this text will appear?
« Reply #2610 on: March 07, 2021, 08:31:30 AM »
What's the significance of the ball on the end of the short stick on the parody?

Maybe there was a version of the Tootsie pop sticks that had a ball the end?  Or maybe the artist was trying to convey a cork or glass stopper like you see on glass decanters.
Giving "The Hobby" the finger since 1999!

Offline Swiski

« Reply #2611 on: March 07, 2021, 08:50:43 AM »
Maybe there was a version of the Tootsie pop sticks that had a ball the end?  Or maybe the artist was trying to convey a cork or glass stopper like you see on glass decanters.

Ah...yes, or maybe it emulates a swizzle stick? Put it in your drink to stir it. There's actually a local company here in Milwaukee called Cholive that makes chocolate "olives" you put in your martinis.

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #2612 on: March 07, 2021, 09:36:02 AM »

I always felt the stub end of the stick resembled a wooden drumstick, but of course that has no context in the parody.  The swizzle stick theory makes a lot more sense.

I cast my vote for Tipsy Roll Pop as the most grossly distorted product shape in all of Wacky history.

Offline mikecho

« Reply #2613 on: March 07, 2021, 11:39:15 AM »
Ah...yes, or maybe it emulates a swizzle stick? Put it in your drink to stir it. There's actually a local company here in Milwaukee called Cholive that makes chocolate "olives" you put in your martinis.
These chocolate olives you mention - are they actual chocolate-covered olives or merely chocolate balls made to look live olives? To tell you the truth, I've never heard of them.

Offline mikecho

« Reply #2614 on: March 07, 2021, 11:45:35 AM »
I always felt the stub end of the stick resembled a wooden drumstick, but of course that has no context in the parody.  The swizzle stick theory makes a lot more sense.

I cast my vote for Tipsy Roll Pop as the most grossly distorted product shape in all of Wacky history.
I agree - a swizzle stick sounds right. And you're also right about the distortion - a long swizzle stick like that would never even fit on a trading card of that size, no matter how much you tried to do it.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2021, 01:50:00 PM by mikecho »

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #2615 on: March 07, 2021, 01:43:23 PM »

My 15 year old brain thought it resembled the end of a car antenna indicating it could telescope out further.
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline Swiski

« Reply #2616 on: March 07, 2021, 02:05:14 PM »
These chocolate olives you mention - are they actual chocolate-covered olives or merely chocolate balls made to look live olives? To tell you the truth, I've never heard of them.

They are chocolate balls that look like olives.

Offline lucidjc

« Reply #2617 on: March 07, 2021, 10:04:44 PM »
I always thought it was the lid to the booze inside, like a cane flask.

Jim

Offline Gurgle

« Reply #2618 on: March 08, 2021, 05:39:06 PM »
Yes, swizzle stick. Great addition, and brilliant way to make a lollipop fill out the sticker!

Offline Swiski

« Reply #2619 on: March 10, 2021, 06:43:40 AM »
Jungle Potion and Jergens Lotion...

Offline Gurgle

« Reply #2620 on: March 11, 2021, 12:41:35 PM »
Hmmmm...title is kind of a stretch, and I don't think I ever knew it was Jergens.

Offline lucidjc

« Reply #2621 on: March 11, 2021, 01:21:25 PM »
Hmmmm...title is kind of a stretch, and I don't think I ever knew it was Jergens.

It does rhyme

Jim

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #2622 on: March 11, 2021, 03:49:35 PM »

By no means a spectacular title from a humor standpoint, but I’ve always really liked the visual on this one.  Interesting shaped bottle, nice colors, unobtrusive character, very well rendered.  Wonder if Jay and Art picked up a bottle of Jergens and Coppertone on the same trip to the drugstore.

By the way, where have we seen the character, or maybe a friend of his, before?

Offline roughwriter

• Rough Writer
« Reply #2623 on: March 12, 2021, 06:14:50 AM »
By no means a spectacular title from a humor standpoint, but I’ve always really liked the visual on this one.  Interesting shaped bottle, nice colors, unobtrusive character, very well rendered.  Wonder if Jay and Art picked up a bottle of Jergens and Coppertone on the same trip to the drugstore.

By the way, where have we seen the character, or maybe a friend of his, before?

If you like repeat appearances, check out Neil's Polaroid/Paranoid gag in the upcoming March 2021 set! If you look carefully, you'll see a familiar face hiding in the background!

Offline Swiski

« Reply #2624 on: March 12, 2021, 12:45:28 PM »
It does rhyme

Jim

Yeah, Jungle is a stretch from Jergens. What if the parody was Juergen's and the character was a German guy in lederhosen? "Made with Sauerkraut"

anything