Author Topic: Gag Criticism, Variation, and Packaging  (Read 640378 times)

Offline Gurgle

• recommends zircon-encrusted tweezers
Re: Gag Criticism, Variation, and Packaging
« Reply #2555 on: February 06, 2021, 09:39:13 PM »
I always seem to like the booze ones.
Also good examples of the early artists taking liberties with the packaging to fill out the sticker.

Clubbed Canadian (along with Canadian Clod from 8th series) compared to Canadian Club.

Offline Swiski

« Reply #2556 on: February 07, 2021, 11:57:08 AM »
The next in line is another booze parody...Old Grand Mom compared to Old Grand Dad...

Offline MadMike

« Reply #2557 on: February 07, 2021, 11:41:34 PM »
That product was screaming for a parody. I never knew of the real product, but I always loved the wacky.

Offline Swiski

« Reply #2558 on: February 09, 2021, 07:46:00 AM »
Misery Dirtycell compared to Mallory Duracell.

Mallory was the original producer of these batteries, and their logo was on the product. Mallory was acquired by Dart Industries in 1978, which in turn, merged with Kraft in 1980. Kohlberg Kravis Roberts bought Duracell in 1988 and took the company public in 1989. It was acquired for $7 billion by The Gillette Company in 1996. In 2005, Procter & Gamble acquired Duracell's parent Gillette for $57 billion.

« Last Edit: February 09, 2021, 08:48:14 AM by Swiski »

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #2559 on: February 09, 2021, 08:32:28 AM »
The next in line is another booze parody...Old Grand Mom compared to Old Grand Dad...

This one makes me laugh, and I wish I had had a copy to show my grandmother way back when.  She would have loved it.  Good gag and tag lines, and the bottle isn't bad.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #2560 on: February 09, 2021, 08:34:16 AM »

Mallory was the original producer of these batteries, and their logo was on the product. Mallory was acquired by Dart Industries in 1978, which in turn, merged with Kraft in 1980. Kohlberg Kravis Roberts bought Duracell in 1988 and took the company public in 1989. It was acquired for $7 billion by The Gillette Company in 1996. In 2005, Procter & Gamble acquired Duracell's parent Gillette for $57 billion.

This is a good Wacky, and now that I know about the old "Mallory" logo, I appreciate it even more.  Well rendered, and good gags.  Thanks for the old image and history!

Offline jleonard1967

« Reply #2561 on: February 09, 2021, 02:15:37 PM »

and to finish the story in 2014/2015 Berkshire Hathaway (good ole Warren) acquired Duracell in a P&G trade off.

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #2562 on: February 09, 2021, 02:20:50 PM »
...and am I mistaken or is the guy on Dirtycell Jail-O's twin brother?

Offline Swiski

« Reply #2563 on: February 11, 2021, 05:47:50 AM »
Arise compared to Rise...

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #2564 on: February 11, 2021, 08:57:31 PM »
Dirtycell - love the old-school prison uniform, reminiscent of Duck and Hide.  Interesting that he’s reading a law book - a nod to ‘Cape Fear’?  Also wondering if Duracell batteries were ever sold ‘naked’ as shown, outside of the blister packaging we normally see used for batteries.  Not that I can remember.  Does that make this an ‘Un-packaged Wacky’?

Arise - first saw this in miniature with the 1982 Album set, and have always liked it.  Simple but well done.  Can’t go wrong with an endorsement from the undead.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #2565 on: February 11, 2021, 11:32:24 PM »

A solid Wacky, with a good gag and a really detailed, cool character.  The shading on the can makes it look more interesting, whereas the actual product is quite boring!  This was another treat for me in the Series 4 reissue series.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2021, 11:35:05 PM by RawGoo »

Offline freetoes

« Reply #2566 on: February 12, 2021, 08:59:32 PM »

If there were a prize for best improvement upon the original packaging, this one would be a top contender.

Offline Swiski

« Reply #2567 on: February 13, 2021, 03:18:11 PM »
Similecch compared to Similac...

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #2568 on: February 16, 2021, 06:12:28 AM »
Nice job on the real product find.  I guess there must have been a ‘concentrated liquid’ equivalent to the powdered type shown, hence the ‘concentrated squid’ gag line.

Not much else I can say.  Not a visually dazzling Wacky of course, owing much to the drabness of the real product.  Nothing marketed today would ever look as uninspired, even a generic product.

Offline Swiski

« Reply #2569 on: February 16, 2021, 06:50:27 AM »
Nice job on the real product find.  I guess there must have been a ‘concentrated liquid’ equivalent to the powdered type shown, hence the ‘concentrated squid’ gag line.

Not much else I can say.  Not a visually dazzling Wacky of course, owing much to the drabness of the real product.  Nothing marketed today would ever look as uninspired, even a generic product.

That's what I was thinking with the "concentrated squid" line being "concentrated liquid". I'm also thinking the real liquid can had a truer green color instead of teal, unless the vintage parody printed differently than intended.

Offline Swiski

« Reply #2570 on: February 18, 2021, 09:45:51 AM »
Prowl compared to Prell...

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #2571 on: February 18, 2021, 11:24:47 AM »

Funny gag with good matching taglines, and a cool burglar.  The glass bottle with the tools inside is awesome!
« Last Edit: February 18, 2021, 11:30:21 AM by RawGoo »

Online sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #2572 on: February 18, 2021, 11:33:32 AM »
Was Prell the shampoo that used the pearl gimmick in commercials or was that another?
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #2573 on: February 18, 2021, 11:49:30 AM »
Was Prell the shampoo that used the pearl gimmick in commercials or was that another?
I believe it was Prell.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2wyG10BCrg" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2wyG10BCrg</a>

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #2574 on: February 18, 2021, 09:58:53 PM »

Another Wacky I didn’t see until the Reissues - Reissue Series 3 and 4 in particular made it glaringly obvious that there were soooooo many more titles I missed, compared to those I recalled having seen before.

Prowl feels a lot more mainstream compared to many titles from the end of the run.  Starts with an iconic brand and packaging of the times, and the burglar character plus bottle/fluid/contents rendering are all strong points.  This one checks all the boxes, probably one of the 3 or 4 best titles in this series.

Offline Swiski

« Reply #2575 on: February 21, 2021, 05:32:02 AM »
Suspect and Secret. I never liked the shrunken rub-down lettering title type treatment on the parody. Not even the correct font.

It bugged me so much that I fixed it in Photoshop.

« Last Edit: February 21, 2021, 06:02:57 AM by Swiski »

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #2576 on: February 21, 2021, 06:16:14 AM »
Suspect and Secret. I never liked the shrunken rub-down lettering title type treatment on the parody. Not even the correct font.

great touch up! Never paid too much attention to this one, so never really noticed that.
but otherwise, it's a pretty solid (ha!) wacky, with a well rendered cap

Offline DrSushi

« Reply #2577 on: February 21, 2021, 08:29:25 AM »

That really does improve the appearance significantly!

Offline Swiski

« Reply #2578 on: February 21, 2021, 08:39:55 AM »
While I was in Photoshop, I created a Wonky, using the gag from the Sucrets (Secrets) parody...

Offline DrSushi

« Reply #2579 on: February 21, 2021, 01:56:17 PM »
While I was in Photoshop, I created a Wonky, using the gag from the Sucrets (Secrets) parody...

Ingenious!

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #2580 on: February 21, 2021, 02:14:43 PM »
That really does improve the appearance significantly!

It sure does!  But, even with the bad typeface I got a big kick out of this Wacky when I found it in the reissues.

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #2581 on: February 23, 2021, 02:29:01 PM »

Sharp eye to catch that - the only other examples I was aware of were the ones with the tall, narrow, all-capital letters titles, such as Goonman’s Noodles, Broomo Seltzer, Promesso and a few others.  I’ve always felt those substitutions work more or less ok and don’t detract from the overall look of the parodies (btw - anyone know what that font is called?), but I agree with you on Secret.  In fact, if there was room for it, I would suggest going even bigger with the lettering.

And of course kudos on the homemade Wonky.  The strangled Secrets kid is one of the more iconic Wacky characters.  Don’t be surprised if your homemade makes the jump to ‘official’ Wonky somewhere down the line in these monthly sets!

Offline Swiski

« Reply #2582 on: February 24, 2021, 10:29:01 AM »
Thanks for the kind comments folks!

Next up is Copperbone compared to Coppertone, along with 8th series Suffertone...

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #2583 on: February 24, 2021, 11:36:50 AM »
Thanks for the kind comments folks!

Next up is Copperbone compared to Coppertone, along with 8th series Suffertone...

Copperbone is a solid Wacky.  The gag and taglines match and make sense, and the textured bottle is great.  It blows away Suffertone, for me, anyway.

Offline Gurgle

• recommends zircon-encrusted tweezers
« Reply #2584 on: February 24, 2021, 09:00:31 PM »
Copperbone is a cooler gag and has better art, for sure. Suffertone has a good, relevant name but doesn't do anything with it.

Copperbone is a solid Wacky.  The gag and taglines match and make sense, and the textured bottle is great.  It blows away Suffertone, for me, anyway.

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #2585 on: February 25, 2021, 05:16:45 AM »
Agree that the second take beats out the first.  While Suffertone is ok, the skeleton in sunglasses is just hilarious.  Agree with Pat that the angled perspective of Copperbone showing the grip texturing along the side really makes it pop compared with the straight-on view of Suffertone.  Also interesting that with Suffertone, the artist distorted the bottle shape to better fill the card space but on the second parody there was no need for it.  Tight fit on the lettering along the bottom gag though, bit of a cheat there.

Offline Swiski

« Reply #2586 on: February 26, 2021, 07:17:40 AM »
Dr. Nest's toothbrush compared to Dr. West's toothbrush. They really needed to exaggerate the packaging shape to fill the card space!

Offline Slaytex99

« Reply #2587 on: February 26, 2021, 08:03:26 AM »
Dr. Nest seems an odd choice for a product parody.  I mean of all the possibilities.... :]

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #2588 on: February 26, 2021, 08:12:55 AM »
Dr. Nest's toothbrush compared to Dr. West's toothbrush. They really needed to exaggerate the packaging shape to fill the card space!

Not one of my favorites, but turning the black angled symbol on the front into a bird was clever, and the gags and tag lines match.

Offline Swiski

« Reply #2589 on: February 26, 2021, 08:43:23 AM »
Not one of my favorites, but turning the black angled symbol on the front into a bird was clever, and the gags and tag lines match.

I love parodies like this where there are people, creatures or objects at a surreal scale inside a plastic window or jar. I agree the parody is clever. I also like that the artist used the hook on top to make it look like a swan head.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2021, 10:18:21 AM by Swiski »

anything