Author Topic: The third Abrams Wacky Packages book  (Read 24852 times)

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
Re: The third Abrams Wacky Packages book
« Reply #35 on: March 14, 2018, 02:26:00 PM »
Didn't even notice this was never released before:

Offline mikecho

« Reply #36 on: March 14, 2018, 08:50:10 PM »
Didn't even notice this was never released before:

Yes, it was one of two Wackys meant for the Wacky Packages Go to the Movies subset in ANS8 (the other one was Ironed Man) that were originally never released in that subset. As for Ironed Man finally being released and finishing the job, since Disney owns Marvel, I don't think that'll be happening anytime soon, if at all.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2018, 02:25:28 PM by mikecho »

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #37 on: March 18, 2018, 06:25:19 AM »
Yes, it was one of two Wackys meant for the Wacky Packages Go to the Movies subset in ANS8 (the other one was Ironed Man) that were originally never released in that subset. As for Ironed Man finally being released and finishing the job, since Disney owns Marvel, I don't think that'll be happening anytime soon, if at all.
It was already used on one of the Philly show Promo cards 6 years ago.

Offline mikecho

« Reply #38 on: March 18, 2018, 01:29:23 PM »
It was already used on one of the Philly show Promo cards 6 years ago.

(Image removed from quote.)
Oh, I already knew about that one; I meant as an actual sticker in an actual series. I'm sorry that I wasn't too clear about that.

Offline mikecho

« Reply #39 on: August 14, 2020, 06:39:07 PM »
Well, now that we've had more than a few years to think it over, what does everyone think of a third Abrams Wacky Packages book now?

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #40 on: August 14, 2020, 08:53:33 PM »
I would put chances at slim to none.  After Series 15-16, you still have 5/7 of the book to fill with other material, which I guess the publisher couldn’t be bothered trying to figure out.  Plus it’s been what, 8 or 9 years since the initial books came out?  The time to do ia 3rd and final one would have been back then.

Offline mikecho

« Reply #41 on: August 14, 2020, 09:04:57 PM »
I would put chances at slim to none.  After Series 15-16, you still have 5/7 of the book to fill with other material, which I guess the publisher couldn’t be bothered trying to figure out.  Plus it’s been what, 8 or 9 years since the initial books came out?  The time to do ia 3rd and final one would have been back then.
The potential contents for this book are listed on the OP, btw.

Even so, do you still think that wouldn't be enough to fill such a book?
« Last Edit: March 24, 2021, 05:36:03 PM by mikecho »

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #42 on: August 14, 2020, 10:59:55 PM »
The contents for this book are listed on the OP, btw.

Even so, do you still think that wouldn't be enough to fill such a book?
What are you saying, a 3rd edition is in the works or was at some point?  I was not aware.  What is the OP?  You lost me there.

I gave my take on the situation early in the thread.  Just my thoughts at the time, who knows what they were thinking going 7 series per volume instead of 8, and whether a 3rd volume was ever in their plans.  If a kickstarter campaign could get it done, I’d be all for it.  In any case, the two volumes are still worthwhile for all the high-resolution scans they did manage to get.  Makes you feel like you have the next best thing to original art for those titles.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2020, 11:10:51 PM by MoldRush »

Offline mikecho

« Reply #43 on: August 15, 2020, 09:23:10 AM »
What are you saying, a 3rd edition is in the works or was at some point?  I was not aware.  What is the OP?  You lost me there.

I gave my take on the situation early in the thread.  Just my thoughts at the time, who knows what they were thinking going 7 series per volume instead of 8, and whether a 3rd volume was ever in their plans.  If a kickstarter campaign could get it done, I’d be all for it.  In any case, the two volumes are still worthwhile for all the high-resolution scans they did manage to get.  Makes you feel like you have the next best thing to original art for those titles.
OP is the original post at the beginning of all this. I was just wondering if the content that was listed there was enough content needed to make a third volume if one was made.

I have first printing copies of the first two books and you're right; they are excellent! However, the first book has 11 anomalies in it, one of which I found and reported to Greg Grant; they're on his website www.wackypackages.org if you want to see what they are (they're listed in the section of the first of the two books).

Sorry if I wasn't too clear about what I was saying; that seems to be a problem here sometimes.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2020, 09:42:13 AM by mikecho »

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #44 on: August 15, 2020, 10:37:35 AM »
No worries, I guess what I was really thinking was that with the passing of a couple more years (thread was initiated in 2018), the prospects of a third book would only be further diminished.

That being said, although I haven’t checked how recently their other books were released, the separate books on other non-sports series like Bazooka Joe, Star Wars, Planet of the Apes, GPK, etc would suggest that Abrams is still in the game and these types of books are still worthwhile releases, so why the heck not with the third Wacky book?  But aside from having the high-res scans of the 15th and 16th titles, most of the rest of what you suggested can be found in the Wacky Packages Gallery by Paul Argyropoulos.  Still couldn’t hurt to replicate it in a new hardcover, for the recent arrivals to Wacky-dom who may have a hard time getting a copy of the Gallery.  I’m pretty sure Paul had a sizable surplus of unsold copies which he was listing on eBay for quite a while ($20 a pop I think), but I haven’t checked for them in a long time.

Offline crackedjerk

« Reply #45 on: August 15, 2020, 05:35:49 PM »
Well, now that we've had more than a few years to think it over, what does everyone think of a third Abrams Wacky Packages book now?

I'd love to see one, but would think the chances are close to zero.  Not sure what else they would include and, after such a long layoff, I would simply think it's not on Abrams' agenda.  Too bad 15-16 weren't included the first time around, but I doubt we'll see those two series in such a book.

Offline mikecho

« Reply #46 on: August 15, 2020, 05:39:27 PM »
I'd love to see one, but would think the chances are close to zero.  Not sure what else they would include and, after such a long layoff, I would simply think it's not on Abrams' agenda.  Too bad 15-16 weren't included the first time around, but I doubt we'll see those two series in such a book.
If you'd like to know what I think they could include, take a look at the original post (see, I've learned my lesson, lol).
« Last Edit: August 15, 2020, 09:42:19 PM by mikecho »

Offline mikecho

« Reply #47 on: August 15, 2020, 05:52:33 PM »
No worries, I guess what I was really thinking was that with the passing of a couple more years (thread was initiated in 2018), the prospects of a third book would only be further diminished.

That being said, although I haven’t checked how recently their other books were released, the separate books on other non-sports series like Bazooka Joe, Star Wars, Planet of the Apes, GPK, etc would suggest that Abrams is still in the game and these types of books are still worthwhile releases, so why the heck not with the third Wacky book?  But aside from having the high-res scans of the 15th and 16th titles, most of the rest of what you suggested can be found in the Wacky Packages Gallery by Paul Argyropoulos.  Still couldn’t hurt to replicate it in a new hardcover, for the recent arrivals to Wacky-dom who may have a hard time getting a copy of the Gallery.  I’m pretty sure Paul had a sizable surplus of unsold copies which he was listing on eBay for quite a while ($20 a pop I think), but I haven’t checked for them in a long time.
I know what you mean; not only have they done the two Wacky Packages books, they've also done one book each on Garbage Pail Kids (Series 1-5), Mars Attacks (for its 50th anniversary), Bazooka Joe and His Gang, Planet of the Apes (all three Topps series from 1969, 1975 and 2001), Star Trek (the original Topps series from 1976), and (are you ready for this?) five Star Wars books at this time: Star Wars Volume One, The Empire Strikes Back Volume Two, Return of the Jedi Volume Three, Star Wars Galaxy (the first three of the eight series of this line Topps has done as of 2022 (Abrams still has yet to release a second book containing the next five series)) and Star Wars Widevision Volume One (all the other films in the mainstream film storyline except for Rogue One: A Star Wars Story, Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi, Solo: A Star Wars Story and Star Wars Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker have had Widevision series as of 2022 (in fact, the ones for Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones and Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith also had 3D Widevision series and the one for Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens was just a 3D Widevision series, as far as I know), so I'm presuming that Abrams will get around to doing Widevision series books for these films too, if I'm not mistaken). All of these books each have four bonus cards included that have never been released before and are both attached to their inside back covers in such a way that they can be removed without running the risk of damaging the book and are wrapped in cellophane to keep them safe.

The four books I've got (the two WP books, the MA book and the PotA book) are first printings and of excellent quality. I also had a second printing copy of the first WP book once, but only got it for the bonus cards (I didn't keep it because only one of the 11 anomalies mentioned in Reply #43 was fixed (I don't remember how good or bad the fixing was, can anyone show me here?) and the other 10 weren't, so I saw no reason to keep it).

Oh, btw, in case you or anyone else here wants to know, I checked Abrams' website and all five Star Wars books are still listed as being available (although I don't know what printings they're all in; by now the numbers could be anything).

I also looked up the book you mentioned, The Wacky Packages Gallery, on eBay and nothing's listed there as of now. It is, however, available on Amazon for $52.99 (before shipping). I didn't know it was released in 2000!
« Last Edit: June 29, 2023, 02:31:57 PM by mikecho »

Offline Swiski

« Reply #48 on: August 16, 2020, 05:05:24 AM »
Maybe instead of a third book, Abrams could publish one new book that covers the complete 16 series. It would need to be a larger sized book that showcases four titles on a page instead of one, and the horizontal parodies should run vertically to match the vertical parodies. I hated how they reduced the size of those for the convenience of the reader in the current Abrams books.

Offline mikecho

« Reply #49 on: August 20, 2020, 05:29:42 PM »
Maybe instead of a third book, Abrams could publish one new book that covers the complete 16 series. It would need to be a larger sized book that showcases four titles on a page instead of one, and the horizontal parodies should run vertically to match the vertical parodies. I hated how they reduced the size of those for the convenience of the reader in the current Abrams books.
I think that's a great idea! To be complete, though, it should also include the 44 Die-Cuts (not the number variations, however) and the 36 Wacky Ads.

Did they really reduce the size of the horizontal stickers, though? I didn't know that. Do you know if they also did the same thing in the other books they released; say, like the one for Mars Attacks? That series definitely had more than a few horizontals in it.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2022, 04:46:42 PM by mikecho »

Offline Swiski

« Reply #50 on: August 20, 2020, 07:38:26 PM »
I think that's a great idea! To be complete, though, it should also include the 44 Die-Cuts (maybe not the number variations, however) and the 36 Wacky Ads.

Did they really reduce the size of the horizontal stickers, though? I didn't know that. Do you know if they also did the same thing in the other books they released; say, like the one for Mars Attacks? That series definitely had more than a few horizontals in it.

I'm not sure about the Mars Attacks books, but the Wacky Packages books has the horizontal parodies rotated 90 degrees so the artwork is right-reading to match the vertical parodies. So yes, they unfortunately made the artwork for those smaller.  :sad:

I agree...a new book should contain the die-cuts, Wacky Ads and maybe even the Wacky Posters. Might be a hard feat to pull off nowadays. I still would love to hear from Abrams and the writer why they stopped at 14 series. Maybe they couldn't get quality artwork of the 15th and 16th titles.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2020, 07:43:00 PM by Swiski »

Offline mikecho

« Reply #51 on: August 20, 2020, 08:37:05 PM »
I'm not sure about the Mars Attacks books, but the Wacky Packages books has the horizontal parodies rotated 90 degrees so the artwork is right-reading to match the vertical parodies. So yes, they unfortunately made the artwork for those smaller.  :sad:

I agree...a new book should contain the die-cuts, Wacky Ads and maybe even the Wacky Posters. Might be a hard feat to pull off nowadays. I still would love to hear from Abrams and the writer why they stopped at 14 series. Maybe they couldn't get quality artwork of the 15th and 16th titles.
I completely forgot all about the Posters, to tell you the truth. Never even occurred to me to include them.

Do you think it should also include the Wacky Packages Tattoos, Wacky Patches and Iron-Ons as well?
« Last Edit: August 25, 2020, 08:21:04 AM by mikecho »

Offline mikecho

« Reply #52 on: January 05, 2022, 11:16:26 AM »
Well, I've added a few more Wacky series to the OP.

Does anyone think that's enough for a third book?

Offline Crakola Crayons

• 10+ years of homemades
  • "...I'll stop the world and melt with you..."
    • Martin's View (blog about music, TV, movies and comics)
« Reply #53 on: February 20, 2022, 01:20:08 PM »
The first two Abrams books sit proudly on my bookshelf. 

Working as a librarian now (been one for over four years - after going back to school and getting my Master's Degree), I did a quick search to see what libraries in Michigan (where I have lived now for almost eight years) carried them.  Two universities have the first one; one public library has the second one.  That's sort of sad.  I'd get a set for my public library but they are long out of print.

And, by the way, since this year marks the 50th years since the debut of Wacky Packages (series 1 in 1972), I am going to be doing an hour-long program for our library's annual Comic-Con called "Wacky Packages: 5 Decades of Product Parody".  I suspect it will be easy for me to whip up a PowerPoint presentation that can serve as my backdrop while I talk about the history of this hobby we all love.
My blog on music, comics, film and more - Martin's View - http://mcmaenza.blogspot.com/

Offline crackedjerk

« Reply #54 on: February 20, 2022, 05:57:48 PM »

Working as a librarian now (been one for over four years - after going back to school and getting my Master's Degree), I did a quick search to see what libraries in Michigan (where I have lived now for almost eight years) carried them.  Two universities have the first one; one public library has the second one.  That's sort of sad.  I'd get a set for my public library but they are long out of print.

And, by the way, since this year marks the 50th years since the debut of Wacky Packages (series 1 in 1972), I am going to be doing an hour-long program for our library's annual Comic-Con called "Wacky Packages: 5 Decades of Product Parody".  I suspect it will be easy for me to whip up a PowerPoint presentation that can serve as my backdrop while I talk about the history of this hobby we all love.

Doing a talk on Wackys sounds great!  Any chance it would be an event that could be attended virtually?

Offline Plastered Peanut

« Reply #55 on: February 20, 2022, 10:33:01 PM »
Doing a talk on Wackys sounds great!  Any chance it would be an event that could be attended virtually?

Is that you, Martin, Crakola?   What are you doing way up in Michigan?  JK.   I would love to catch your presentation and as crackedjerk asks, can it be attended virtually?
Send me your borderless wackys!

Offline Swiski

« Reply #56 on: February 21, 2022, 04:32:27 AM »

I haven't seen you post in a long time! Welcome back!! If the presentation isn't available in virtual form, maybe have it recorded to watch online later?
« Last Edit: February 21, 2022, 04:36:17 AM by Swiski »

Offline Crakola Crayons

• 10+ years of homemades
« Reply #57 on: February 21, 2022, 08:33:14 AM »

We have been doing virtual programming since the pandemic started almost two years ago. By August hopefully we’ll be back to in-person programming. It has been too long. We have already had two in-person sessions of our Dungeons And Dragons for adults (I had to learn 5th edition for that) and some of our book clubs.
My blog on music, comics, film and more - Martin's View - http://mcmaenza.blogspot.com/

Offline Crakola Crayons

• 10+ years of homemades
« Reply #58 on: February 21, 2022, 08:35:27 AM »
Is that you, Martin, Crakola?   What are you doing way up in Michigan?  JK.   I would love to catch your presentation and as crackedjerk asks, can it be attended virtually?

Hey, Dave!!! We moved from Hickory NC to Michigan for my wife’s job back in 2014. I tried IT for automotive industry and found it not to my liking. Thus my career change, grad school and my becoming and adult services librarian. Been in the public library sector for four and a half years now.

Offline Crakola Crayons

• 10+ years of homemades
« Reply #59 on: February 21, 2022, 08:38:19 AM »

I haven't seen you post in a long time! Welcome back!! If the presentation isn't available in virtual form, maybe have it recorded to watch online later?

Thanks for the welcome back.  Not sure if we will record it if we are back to in-person. The Con is a big all day annual event for our library so we really are hoping we’ll be back in-person fully. I miss that aspect of my job.

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #60 on: February 22, 2022, 05:10:15 PM »
Hey Martin! Great to see you back! Sounds like you're doing well! Are you still cranking out those wacky concepts?! If so, you need to post some here! They were always some of my favorites!

Offline ToadallyDude

« Reply #61 on: June 27, 2023, 06:05:50 PM »
Please tell me someone has finally found the original art to the 8th series sticker version of "Toadal" by now.  That's an image I really want to see someday.

Offline roughwriter

• Rough Writer
« Reply #62 on: June 29, 2023, 05:53:45 AM »
Does anyone on the Forum know who to talk to about actually producing a third book? The first two came out before I started drawing for Topps, so I don't know who arranged it all. I think another volume that got the last two original sets, plus 1985 and 1990, and maybe the few new album stickers too would be a worthwhile project. Maybe get Tom Bunk to do the introduction? Can anyone give me a name or contact info?

Offline Plastered Peanut

« Reply #63 on: June 29, 2023, 06:02:48 AM »
Does anyone on the Forum know who to talk to about actually producing a third book? The first two came out before I started drawing for Topps, so I don't know who arranged it all. I think another volume that got the last two original sets, plus 1985 and 1990, and maybe the few new album stickers too would be a worthwhile project. Maybe get Tom Bunk to do the introduction? Can anyone give me a name or contact info?

I'd like to try, but I'm a "very scary" person.   So, I must decline.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #64 on: June 29, 2023, 06:09:34 AM »

Maybe I am being overly negative, but it just seems like the time has passed for projects  like these. I can’t see anyone viewing it as a money making proposition at this point. Especially with a focus on series that were less popular.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2023, 06:24:17 AM by Paul_Maul »

Offline Plastered Peanut

« Reply #65 on: June 29, 2023, 07:21:48 AM »
Maybe I am being overly negative, but it just seems like the time has passed for projects  like these. I can’t see anyone viewing it as a money making proposition at this point. Especially with a focus on series that were less popular.

"money" again.   

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #66 on: June 29, 2023, 07:54:18 AM »
"money" again.

? That is usually what motivates a publishing company to produce a book, no? Maybe crowdfunding would be a more realistic option for this kind of project?

Offline Swiski

« Reply #67 on: June 29, 2023, 07:55:48 AM »

I'd love to see a third book. Maybe a Kickstarter project at least, to see if enough people want it funded!

anything