Author Topic: Wacky Art Discussion  (Read 146475 times)

Offline RonZombie

• (AKA)"Ron of the Dead"
  • Take a "BITE" out of life!
Re: Wacky Art Discussion
« Reply #35 on: June 18, 2010, 02:35:43 AM »
Here's what they said;
Hyde changed too many letters, there's too many cat gags in Wackys these days, he never heard of the national bottled water called "Sparkletts", no explanation on GoonPie, Fisties was too mean, he thought Country Spock was a legal issue, though he was totally wrong. Nobody can own the name of "Spock" and the caricature doesn't show a Star Trek uniform. They suggested I redraw the bursting packs on CrabbySun but rejected it in the meantime. Maybe my gags are not funny enough or maybe they're not rendered well enough but they're just rough ideas. They could have been refined later. Taglines can be changed minute to minute but they just shot 'em down.

Here's another sketch they rejected. They said it was too vague.

That's another great one Mark! I'm glad Topps hired you.
"Treat others the way you like to be treated"

Offline Crakola Crayons

• 10+ years of homemades
  • "...I'll stop the world and melt with you..."
    • Martin's View (blog about music, TV, movies and comics)
« Reply #36 on: June 18, 2010, 03:22:46 AM »
Mark, I like your ideas - some of them are quite good and would have made for fun Wackys to be sure.  Keep the idea factory flowing!
My blog on music, comics, film and more - Martin's View - http://mcmaenza.blogspot.com/

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #37 on: June 18, 2010, 04:15:55 AM »
Here's what they said;
Hyde changed too many letters, there's too many cat gags in Wackys these days, he never heard of the national bottled water called "Sparkletts", no explanation on GoonPie, Fisties was too mean, he thought Country Spock was a legal issue, though he was totally wrong. Nobody can own the name of "Spock" and the caricature doesn't show a Star Trek uniform. They suggested I redraw the bursting packs on CrabbySun but rejected it in the meantime. Maybe my gags are not funny enough or maybe they're not rendered well enough but they're just rough ideas. They could have been refined later. Taglines can be changed minute to minute but they just shot 'em down.

Vague?  I thought Fruit Holdups was pretty clear, and funny.  As for the others you posted, Catscade looked very promising as a cool Wacky - perhaps they'd accept that one in the future if there's a decrease in other artists' cat-themed Wackys.  Maybe a postcard?  Or a postcard set bonus card?  And, I'd LOVE a Star Trek Wacky, so Country Spock really appeals to me.

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #38 on: June 18, 2010, 05:57:03 AM »
Here's what they said;

Ha!  I really like that Fruit Hold-Ups - that's a fun one. 

You know, as an editor of this kind of stuff, you make the best decisions you can.  When I was a comic editor, I made strong decisions.  Ten years later, I sometimes look back and wonder why the hell I went one way, and not the other that I considered.  Not sure if that's my artistic eye evolving, or the medium, or if it's simply I've forgotten the many factors I had to consider back then.  It's probably a mix of all three.  There were times I rejected story ideas, and the reasoning I gave might sound like bunk now - and it might have been bunk then.  But I can certainly that whatever I said back then, it was honest. 

I bring this up because, as a commercial artist, it's going to be rare to ever find an editor who shares all of your sensibilities.   As much as we try to make educated, informed decisions, there's still a great deal of subjectivity that comes into play in the end, when you're the guy who calls these shots. 

I don't know how the Wacky Editors at Topps operate, but when I was an editor on the X-Men, even when I was making decisions that might not have ended up being great, or made choices that, ten years later, don't seem like the best I could have made - I worked hard, and believed that they were the best choices I was making, at the time.  My interest then was in putting the best possible books out for the readers that we could, and getting them out on-time (always a tough task). 

Reading this bit of your tale, I have to say that it does suck that the editors at Topps don't have the desire, or the luxury of time, to help bring your rough ideas to full bloom.   You bring a tremendous amount of craft and artistry to the table, and clearly a well of passion, too. 

At this point, I suppose you could decide that Topps editors have no idea what they're doing by rejecting your stuff - and throw in the towel.  Or take the tack that perhaps their position gives them the most valid perspective to choose the best Wackys (at least MOST of the time), and that, in whatever way your work "isn't there yet" is something you're willing to struggle through. 

Even if the Topps editors are not 100% right about their criticisms, there have to be some nuggets within their notes that can inspire you to find new approaches to your Wacky submissions. 

I look forward to experiencing your next creations, whatever they may be, and as a fan, I'm glad you're out there, pushing the envelope and working hard to create.
Jason Liebig - A swell TV host (currently on History Channel) who used to oversee Marvel Comics' X-Men - now creator and curator of WishbookWeb.com and CollectingCandy.com, a celebration of candy packaging, marketing and the people behind it all

Offline Sunstroke

• My Website
« Reply #39 on: June 18, 2010, 09:25:43 AM »
It's always great to see your work Mark!
Looking for Saunders Art cards: Especially Wackies, Frankenstein stickers, Mars Attacks & Battle

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #40 on: June 18, 2010, 11:18:48 AM »
That's another great one Mark! I'm glad Topps hired you.
Thanks Ron!

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #41 on: June 18, 2010, 11:47:23 AM »

At this point, I suppose you could decide that Topps editors have no idea what they're doing by rejecting your stuff - and throw in the towel.  Or take the tack that perhaps their position gives them the most valid perspective to choose the best Wackys (at least MOST of the time), and that, in whatever way your work "isn't there yet" is something you're willing to struggle through. 

I did consider this view. But I got into it looking for fun and didn't find much. I have absolute freedom to create my own art so it's foolish for me to go back to dealing with bosses or being a team player. I don't want to spoil my love for Wacky Packs by turning it into a job. At least I can say I did a postcard and some Wacky stickers.

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #42 on: June 18, 2010, 12:16:24 PM »
I did consider this view. But I got into it looking for fun and didn't find much. I have absolute freedom to create my own art so it's foolish for me to go back to dealing with bosses or being a team player. I don't want to spoil my love for Wacky Packs by turning it into a job. At least I can say I did a postcard and some Wacky stickers.

Sounds perfectly reasonable and well thought-out.   If the challenges presented by doing your own thing are more rewarding than what you can get working for someone else, it make little sense to pursue it.  I think that's the key to life - not so much to avoid difficulty and struggle, but find the path to climb that you enjoy the most.   

I knew a lot of guys in comics who found it incredibly rewarding working on Marvel Properties their whole careers, and others who could only be satisfied working on their own creations.   Quite a number of them did both, too. 
Jason Liebig - A swell TV host (currently on History Channel) who used to oversee Marvel Comics' X-Men - now creator and curator of WishbookWeb.com and CollectingCandy.com, a celebration of candy packaging, marketing and the people behind it all

Offline Crakola Crayons

• 10+ years of homemades
« Reply #43 on: June 18, 2010, 12:21:00 PM »
Jason, I was thinking the exact same thing.  Different strokes for different folks.  We're all individuals with various factors that lead to our ultimate enjoyment.  If Mark can find more satisfaction doing his own thing, I applaud that.
My blog on music, comics, film and more - Martin's View - http://mcmaenza.blogspot.com/

Offline Gurgle

• recommends zircon-encrusted tweezers
« Reply #44 on: June 18, 2010, 01:02:01 PM »
Here's what they said;

Don't take the rejections personally. As an artist, it's a part of life I'm sure you're already familiar with. Sometimes you'll just get a "no." I also scratched my head at some of the gags they didn't want. If you're high on a gag, try asking to find out what they particularly didn't like. (Sometimes it's fixable, sometimes not.) If you really like a gag, try to get feedback and keep resubmitting it with changes based on their feedback. I submitted one gag at least three or four different ways before they accepted it. I know Dave has to argue for ideas all the time.

I thought your Hold-Up gag and Cat gag very were good (cute, even!). I know some of the other gags you submitted are already being parodied.

But with Country Spock, you are obviously using the Spock character from Star Trek (uniform or not) so there are potential trademark problems. It's possible a court would decide it's a legal parody, it's possible a court would see it as infringement. You never know with cases like that. Topps just wants to avoid a C&D. But, of course, they have used Porky Pig in the past, so I'm not sure when they decide to bend their own rules.

You seem very down and discouraged. You used to jump all over those who disparaged Wackys and tell them they hate Wackys and get off the forum. Now you seem to have a toe in the dark side. I hope it's only temporary!

I'm particularly impressed with your painting and hope to see more.

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #45 on: June 18, 2010, 02:49:35 PM »

Don't take the rejections personally. As an artist, it's a part of life I'm sure you're already familiar with. Sometimes you'll just get a "no." I also scratched my head at some of the gags they didn't want. If you're high on a gag, try asking to find out what they particularly didn't like. (Sometimes it's fixable, sometimes not.) If you really like a gag, try to get feedback and keep resubmitting it with changes based on their feedback. I submitted one gag at least three or four different ways before they accepted it. I know Dave has to argue for ideas all the time.

I thought your Hold-Up gag and Cat gag very were good (cute, even!). I know some of the other gags you submitted are already being parodied.

But with Country Spock, you are obviously using the Spock character from Star Trek (uniform or not) so there are potential trademark problems. It's possible a court would decide it's a legal parody, it's possible a court would see it as infringement. You never know with cases like that. Topps just wants to avoid a C&D. But, of course, they have used Porky Pig in the past, so I'm not sure when they decide to bend their own rules.

You seem very down and discouraged. You used to jump all over those who disparaged Wackys and tell them they hate Wackys and get off the forum. Now you seem to have a toe in the dark side. I hope it's only temporary!

I'm particularly impressed with your painting and hope to see more.
Thanks
You're right about having my toe in the dark side. I sensed it last night as I wrote. I had high hopes of having many gags accepted and getting to paint all of them.

I don't mean to disparage the product. I still collect them. I never had a plan to change the brand. I saw a lot of the gags for ANS2010 and think there's some really good stuff in there, though surprisingly little or no horror or monster gags. Getting through the door was an emotional tumble for me. Crakola is right. I'm not the type to be part of someone else's project. Not anymore. I did just fine on shows like Buffy the Vampire Slayer and X-Files when I had to crank out monsters and vampires and change things all the time for whoever walked in from the production. But now I'm in a position to produce, finance and distribute whatever I can dream up. So I'd be a fool to waste time laboring for Topps.

Do you face any sort of censorship or editing of your comic strip?

Offline Gurgle

« Reply #46 on: June 18, 2010, 04:15:53 PM »
Thanks
You're right about having my toe in the dark side. I sensed it last night as I wrote. I had high hopes of having many gags accepted and getting to paint all of them.

I don't mean to disparage the product. I still collect them. I never had a plan to change the brand. I saw a lot of the gags for ANS2010 and think there's some really good stuff in there, though surprisingly little or no horror or monster gags. Getting through the door was an emotional tumble for me. Crakola is right. I'm not the type to be part of someone else's project. Not anymore. I did just fine on shows like Buffy the Vampire Slayer and X-Files when I had to crank out monsters and vampires and change things all the time for whoever walked in from the production. But now I'm in a position to produce, finance and distribute whatever I can dream up. So I'd be a fool to waste time laboring for Topps.

Do you face any sort of censorship or editing of your comic strip?

First, let me say I know exactly what you're talking about when you say it's hard to work for somebody else after basically being your own boss. You get spoiled.

I was self-syndicated when I started out so I had a ton of freedom. I got a lot of good feedback but one editor wanted me to tone it down a bit because he thought my work was a tad too violent for family newspapers. I remember how pissed I was, (What the hell does he know?) but looking back, he was right.

Now that I'm with a syndicate, my syndicate editors sometimes (but luckily rarely) ask me to change something. If they do, I try to argue my case effectively and many times will win. If I make a change, I can usually doing it without hurting the gag. Sometimes the gag is IMPROVED because I'm forced to think about it more, or to come up with a clever way to get around the censors. Don't get me wrong, I still try to push the envelope. I've learned some tricks and am amazed at some of the suggestive gags that get through to family newspapers. Occasionally a newspaper won't run a cartoon, but I understand.

My initial submissions to Topps were all rejected and I was sooo disappointed because I thought I had some strong ones. This time around, I talked to Jeff directly and was fortunate that things went better.

I also went into it consciously deciding to be flexible. I took some of Jeff's suggestions and didn't assume anything. (For instance, I was originally jazzed to parody products that had not yet been parodied. But Jeff wanted very popular products whether they had been parodied or not. So I changed my mode of thinking and did both. I also removed bugs from one parody without hurting the gag.) I knew I had to please him to get through. Luckily, he liked many of my gags, as is. I feel I had a slight advantage because I've been writing humor professionally since 1987. Yeah, newspaper comics are different, but some of the thought process translates.

I've always considered myself more of a writer than an artist, and I don't paint at all. I'm envious of you painters. The thing that's hardest for me to swallow is seeing the finished designs with some of my gags changed. I'm not used to that at all! But I knew what to expect that going in. I wasn't going to be in control.

I've received my share of rejections over the years, some nice, some blunt. I've learned not to take it personally. I've also learned to stop believing how good people say I am, or how bad people say I am. My skin has gotten a lot thicker since I started. All the bumps and problems and rejections and issues and problem clients have helped me get to this point.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2010, 04:18:15 PM by Gurgle »

Offline Crakola Crayons

• 10+ years of homemades
« Reply #47 on: June 18, 2010, 06:19:05 PM »
I did just fine on shows like Buffy the Vampire Slayer and X-Files when I had to crank out monsters and vampires and change things all the time for whoever walked in from the production.

You did work on Buffy and X-Files?  Way cool!!!!

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #48 on: June 18, 2010, 08:02:22 PM »
surprisingly little or no horror or monster gags.

I think 7 or 8 of the 23 I did are horror gags!

Offline crackedjerk

« Reply #49 on: June 18, 2010, 08:43:23 PM »
I'm enjoying following this thread to hear all of the various artists' experiences and thought processes.  Thanks for the insight to all of you!

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
« Reply #50 on: June 19, 2010, 05:01:08 AM »
I'm enjoying following this thread to hear all of the various artists' experiences and thought processes.  Thanks for the insight to all of you!

Agreed, these types of threads really make visiting this forum very satisfying.  I think we have gotten a bit over focused on character iconic-ness.  Very few of the middle series wackys have what I would call iconic characters.  Surely they are all recognizable but hardly classic.  Mark's bees are very high quality and I would take high quality, colorful(getting away from so many brown wackys like in ANS), with simple and funny gags over wackys with an attempt at making a classic character in an overcluttered, average humor gag.

Topps is in an unenviable position as they possibly have more artists vying to create wacky titles than ever before.  Tough to please everyone.
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline Crakola Crayons

• 10+ years of homemades
« Reply #51 on: June 19, 2010, 05:36:31 AM »
Topps is in an unenviable position as they possibly have more artists vying to create wacky titles than ever before.  Tough to please everyone.

I agree with this.  With so many inputs you are going to get some new takes, new approaches and it challenges everyone to up their game.  Win-win.

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #52 on: June 19, 2010, 01:40:01 PM »
Hey Mark,
Thanks for sharing the details of your experiences. If you had a hard time getting gags through then I should feel a lot more at ease that most of mine didn't get through. I do have a few that probably fit their criteria but at this point I need to take my new painting skills and create my own properties.

It's sad your cartoons are deemed too violent. Violence is a terrible thing in reality but it's pure gold for cartoon comedy. That's the amazing thing about the concept of violence. It can have a completely opposite effect depending on whether it's real or pretend. Media executives, like politicians, never think deep enough to figure these things out. When was the last time we saw a sitcom or movie as comedicly violent as the Three Stooges? Yet look how celebrated they are even today!

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #53 on: June 19, 2010, 01:41:42 PM »
I think 7 or 8 of the 23 I did are horror gags!

Oooooh, excellent!!

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #54 on: June 19, 2010, 01:52:28 PM »
You did work on Buffy and X-Files?  Way cool!!!!
Also Babylon 5, Angel, Ghostbusters 2, Charmed, Nip/Tuck, Grey's Anatomy, From Dusk Till Dawn, Dogma, Hercules, Xena, Planet of the Apes, 300, Men in Black, covers for AC/DC and Marilyn Manson, Iron Maiden, etc, etc...

Offline Gurgle

« Reply #55 on: June 19, 2010, 06:46:49 PM »
Hey Mark,
Thanks for sharing the details of your experiences. If you had a hard time getting gags through then I should feel a lot more at ease that most of mine didn't get through. I do have a few that probably fit their criteria but at this point I need to take my new painting skills and create my own properties.

It's sad your cartoons are deemed too violent. Violence is a terrible thing in reality but it's pure gold for cartoon comedy. That's the amazing thing about the concept of violence. It can have a completely opposite effect depending on whether it's real or pretend. Media executives, like politicians, never think deep enough to figure these things out. When was the last time we saw a sitcom or movie as comedicly violent as the Three Stooges? Yet look how celebrated they are even today!

I don't consider my comic violent, but I learned better ways to show or to suggest violence when a gag calls for it. My point was I am cartooning for family newspapers and if I want to slip violence in, I still can and still do, but sometimes I have to be creative about it. Same thing with sex. I include it all the time in sly ways. It's a fun challenge and has actually made me a better cartoonist.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2010, 06:49:20 PM by Gurgle »

Offline Zenergizer

« Reply #56 on: June 19, 2010, 07:44:42 PM »
I think Fruit Hold-Ups is one of the funniest gags I've seen!  I still laugh when I look at it! 

Kudos!

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #57 on: June 20, 2010, 05:56:06 PM »
I think Fruit Hold-Ups is one of the funniest gags I've seen!  I still laugh when I look at it! 

Kudos!

Thanks Zen! Glad it made someone out there laugh.
Here's one I did for Coffee Mate. Zapata liked it but still didn't approve it. He said it needed more words. That's the biggest problem I have with Wacky Packs today. They ruin the designs by cramming words all over the image. Of course there are exceptions, but the rule with ANS is "cram it".

I don't care to paint this one anyway. No characters. Maybe I could cram one in.

Offline RonZombie

• (AKA)"Ron of the Dead"
« Reply #58 on: June 20, 2010, 06:16:23 PM »
Here's one I did for Coffee Mate. Zapata liked it but still didn't approve it. He said it needed more words. That's the biggest problem I have with Wacky Packs today. They ruin the designs by cramming words all over the image. Of course there are exceptions, but the rule with ANS is "cram it".

I don't care to paint this one anyway. No characters. Maybe I could cram one in.
I agree Mark! I like the simple ones also...BTW I think "Coffee Meat" is great! You should consider doing your own series, kind of like what "Neil Camera" (Koduck) did w/the "Pranky Products" I'm all but positive 90% of the people here would buy a set...I know I would buy several! Just a thought, hope you had a "Wacky Weekend" Take care...RonZ 8)

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #59 on: June 21, 2010, 06:35:18 PM »

I agree that the ANS titles seem to be a little too "busy" which takes away from the characters.  Old School had a much cleaner look like the OS series which I prefer. 
Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)

Offline Gurgle

« Reply #60 on: June 21, 2010, 07:23:01 PM »

I agree with Zen, this is a funny title! But I also agree it could use one extra line. I definitely would have resubmitted that with one more line of text. It's good he told you what it needed because, like you said, sometimes you don't know why they are rejected. This might be easily fixable with a line like "Creamed Dairy Cow" or "Better than grinding your own" or something.

Offline RonZombie

• (AKA)"Ron of the Dead"
« Reply #61 on: June 21, 2010, 07:47:20 PM »
I agree that the ANS titles seem to be a little too "busy" which takes away from the characters.  Old School had a much cleaner look like the OS series which I prefer. 
No doubt about it Rob, that's why I like the "Old School" series so much, I think someone else mentioned that w/all the (Promo) stuff for OS1 that the "set" itself was kind of overlooked and I tend to agree w/that reasoning. :^)

Offline Zenergizer

« Reply #62 on: June 22, 2010, 10:55:23 AM »
I agree with Zen, this is a funny title! But I also agree it could use one extra line. I definitely would have resubmitted that with one more line of text. It's good he told you what it needed because, like you said, sometimes you don't know why they are rejected. This might be easily fixable with a line like "Creamed Dairy Cow" or "Better than grinding your own" or something.

(insert Beavis laugh)...he he...you said "grind" LOL

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #63 on: June 22, 2010, 11:44:49 PM »
I agree it could use a line. I just didn't understand why Zapata didn't accept it and then tell me to come up with some options for a line. Then I went on a tangent about wordy gags. I don't want to paint for Topps anymore so these gags will either rot in the ether or become part of my own series.

Dave's choice to go lean on the Old School designs was more than just nostalgic. It was a step towards good design. Good design is timeless. Good design didn't stop being so when Norm Saunders died.

Offline DrSushi

« Reply #64 on: June 23, 2010, 05:02:53 AM »
"Creamed Dairy Cow", clever!

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #65 on: June 23, 2010, 12:47:40 PM »
Creamed Dairy Cow is a good tagline. If I resubmit the gag can I use the line?

Offline Gurgle

« Reply #66 on: June 23, 2010, 02:11:34 PM »
Creamed Dairy Cow is a good tagline. If I resubmit the gag can I use the line?
Please do!

Offline jaylynch

• World Record Sketch Artist
« Reply #67 on: June 23, 2010, 02:47:30 PM »
        Renderers do actually make milk substitutes out of animal fat.  MacDonald's shakes are called "shakes"  and not "milk shakes", on account of they use rendered animal fat in 'em and not milk.  Hostess cupcakes creamy white filling is probably still rendered animal fat as well, unless they have found a cheaper vegetable substitute.  The gag is funny...because it's true!

Offline Zenergizer

« Reply #68 on: June 23, 2010, 02:49:15 PM »
and being from New England, especially Massachusetts...if you want a "shake" you're gonna get something different than you crazy West-Coast people!

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #69 on: June 28, 2010, 07:48:18 PM »
The art for the Old School sticker "Hickory Fools" is currently on ebay. The auction is going to end very shortly. The price is ridiculously low right now. If anyone is interested in it...now's the time.