Author Topic: Wacky Art Discussion  (Read 142723 times)

Offline Plan 9

Re: Wacky Art Discussion
« Reply #140 on: December 09, 2010, 06:10:44 AM »
I think Norm's genius was his ability to simulate details in a limited space. He knew the images were going to be reduced so he added a kind of loose detail. It isn't fussy or tight at all. Once the image is reduced, it all falls into place and look rather amazing.

I also think copying a Saunders character is one thing and it's another thing to be able to apply his style to someone's own work. For instance, Plan 9's ability to paint the Kleenaxe guy was stunning. I don't think, however, that the Sweet 'N Slow woman looks like a Saunders piece. I think it's bold thing for a painter to attempt to replicate his style but still difficult to accomplish.
Glad you bring it up. If the word "difficult" scares any artist then he should get out of the business. The difficulty of great art is making it look easy.

I've seen artists and even non-artists replicate cartoon styles with their own flair. It can also be done with paint. I don't care if the work doesn't look exactly like Saunders, as long as it's good character illustration. If we all took a Norm Saunders course we would learn valuable information but apply it in our own ways.  

It's not fair to compare my progress from my Kleenaxe character to Sweet n Slow. Sweet n Slow was severely rushed. Secondly, nobody is going to progress much from painting number 1 to painting number 6. I'm going to be hit and miss until I've had a lot more practice. I just hope I can find the time. I'd like to create the next Mars Attacks-type card series one day.

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #141 on: December 09, 2010, 06:28:01 AM »
I'm not sure if that's as true today but it certainly was for me when I was a kid.  I don't really remember reading the gags or trying to understand what they meant, but I definitely focused on the character and the overall look of the art.   
Just like with our generation some portion of today's kids are going to fondly remember ANS because of the overall look. None of those Wacky Pack clones get a second glance from me. They're all forgettable. ANS has a great look. Kids can't explain that but it's evident in the success of ANS sales. There are videos all over youtube of kids opening new Wacky Packs. One kid will say they're running out of ideas. Another will tell you his favorites from the pack.Then one kid will say he what he loves most is the art. That's a forum member from the year 2030.

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #142 on: December 09, 2010, 08:54:55 AM »
Just like with our generation some portion of today's kids are going to fondly remember ANS because of the overall look.

I hope you're right.  I hope kids grow up with some sense of nostalgia, similar to ours.  So many things have changed, and kids can carry so much of their lives with them now, I wonder how their nostalgia will operate. 
Jason Liebig - A swell TV host (currently on History Channel) who used to oversee Marvel Comics' X-Men - now creator and curator of WishbookWeb.com and CollectingCandy.com, a celebration of candy packaging, marketing and the people behind it all

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #143 on: December 09, 2010, 12:17:56 PM »
I hope you're right.  I hope kids grow up with some sense of nostalgia, similar to ours.  So many things have changed, and kids can carry so much of their lives with them now, I wonder how their nostalgia will operate. 

Remember back before the hyper phone mind iNterlink was developed and you had to actually push buttons to
send a message...
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
« Reply #144 on: December 09, 2010, 02:28:52 PM »
You must not have read through my post. I have multiple examples listed of Norm and another artist working on the same piece and also mention that I think certain pieces he did some of the packaging while another artists did the rest. He also did not do the airbrush stuff I believe. I believe that Spit N Spill is entirely his though (sans box air brushing and I guess lettering).
IT is a bit dizzying readling your list as a paragraph but I took the jist that you picked a small handful that you declare were shared and the rest as All Norm.  I don't believe that to be the case and I think he touched up quite many more than just a few and  the number of titles he didn't do at all is quite a bit more than you listed.  I know David Saunders gave a shot at this long ago so I am going to see if I can dig out his list.

While on this topic, look at a piece like Dopey Whip, totally hum drum detail, flat uninspiring characters.  Does it really matter if it is Saunders or not?  Its being a diecut and series 1 piece  with a word like "dopey" that kids love to say and showing cream in the face has more to do with its lure than art quality.
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #145 on: December 09, 2010, 02:45:21 PM »
IT is a bit dizzying readling your list as a paragraph but I took the jist that you picked a small handful that you declare were shared and the rest as All Norm.  I don't believe that to be the case and I think he touched up quite many more than just a few and  the number of titles he didn't do at all is quite a bit more than you listed.  I know David Saunders gave a shot at this long ago so I am going to see if I can dig out his list.

While on this topic, look at a piece like Dopey Whip, totally hum drum detail, flat uninspiring characters.  Does it really matter if it is Saunders or not?  Its being a diecut and series 1 piece  with a word like "dopey" that kids love to say and showing cream in the face has more to do with its lure than art quality.

All the ones I listed I believe were done by another artist except for the exceptions listed where I think Norm added something OR an in-house artist added something on Norm's piece (Mummy T-Shirt for example). There are around 10 or so I'm not sure about and would like to see larger images to decide. All the rest I think were done by Saunders exclusively with the exception of lettering or proper airbrushing. I think Dopey Whip is all Saunders and I also think other than the cream which is fantastic it's not a great painting. I agree with you that Saunders has some clunkers that are saved by nostalgia and series placement. I also would like to say that most of the non-Saunders pieces only have nostalgia going for them and if they were in the ANS people would be ripping them for the painting quality.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #146 on: December 09, 2010, 05:49:08 PM »
Funny, I love Dopey Whip, not saying it's a great painting, but the look of pure joy on the face of the sprayer is infectious.

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #147 on: December 09, 2010, 06:22:03 PM »
Going to go back to Lipoff for a moment. There was still a little doubt that this was a Saunders piece due to David Saunders originally saying it was not. Today I finally sent him a hi-res scan of the painting and got this response:

Thank you for sending the excellent image of  LIPOFF.  I am certain it is
entirely painted and lettered by Norman Saunders, with just the faint wisp of
airbrush on the top panel added by a Topps airbrush artist.

I also wrote Zina to see what she says. Will post when (if) I get a response.

Offline Sue Mee

• and Sometimes I'm LipOff
« Reply #148 on: December 09, 2010, 06:22:58 PM »
Going to go back to Lipoff for a moment. There was still a little doubt that this was a Saunders piece due to David Saunders originally saying it was not. Today I finally sent him a hi-res scan of the painting and got this response:

Thank you for sending the excellent image of  LIPOFF.  I am certain it is
entirely painted and lettered by Norman Saunders, with just the faint wisp of
airbrush on the top panel added by a Topps airbrush artist.

I also wrote Zina to see what she says. Will post when (if) I get a response.

Very cool!
Sue Mee is AKA LipOff
My Home-Made Wackys

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #149 on: December 09, 2010, 06:25:00 PM »
Funny, I love Dopey Whip, not saying it's a great painting, but the look of pure joy on the face of the sprayer is infectious.

I think I'm just so hypnotized by that amazing cream at the top that I barely notice the rest of the piece.

Offline Ducko

• (Now on as Porkie)
  • (Now on as Porkie)
« Reply #150 on: December 10, 2010, 11:08:58 AM »
I think I'm just so hypnotized by that amazing cream at the top that I barely notice the rest of the piece.

I like Dopey Whip too. The cream and the expression on the guys face are priceless. He is somewhat flat compared to the rest (reminds me of The Jetsons style cartooning), but he is so happy it works.

(side topic: Spray Nit and Cover Ghoul are my least favorites. Spray Nit gives me the whilllys for some reason -- really, really creepy... Probably my least favorite Wacky)

Offline BustedFinger

• Just a simple collector. No books, no websites, no arguments!
  • I wonder where this text will appear?
« Reply #151 on: December 19, 2010, 02:11:27 PM »
Does anybody know if there is a high-res scan of the BustedFinger original art available?
Giving "The Hobby" the finger since 1999!

Offline BustedFinger

« Reply #152 on: December 22, 2010, 09:19:47 AM »
Does anybody know if there is a high-res scan of the BustedFinger original art available?

I guess the answer is that nobody knows?

How 'bout this:

Does anybody have the link to Eric Roberts website where he has a bunch of art scans posted?  I believe he owns (or did own) the Bustedfinger art so maybe there is a scan of it there?

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #153 on: December 22, 2010, 09:27:49 AM »
I guess the answer is that nobody knows?

How 'bout this:

Does anybody have the link to Eric Roberts website where he has a bunch of art scans posted?  I believe he owns (or did own) the Bustedfinger art so maybe there is a scan of it there?
www.triksr4kids.com
But it's been under construction for a long time. Nothing to see.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2010, 11:21:34 PM by Plan 9 »

Offline Sue Mee

« Reply #154 on: December 22, 2010, 10:42:08 AM »

Here's a small version of the original scan.  I'll upload the full size scan when I can.

[expando]http://photos.smugmug.com/photos/335340199_v3Hph-XL.jpg[/expando]

Sue Mee is AKA LipOff
My Home-Made Wackys

Offline BustedFinger

« Reply #155 on: December 22, 2010, 05:32:28 PM »
www.trikr4kids.com
But it's been under construction for a long time. Nothing to see.

I guess you're right about "nothing to see"!  That link doesn't work!!

Offline Sue Mee

« Reply #156 on: December 22, 2010, 05:37:33 PM »
I guess you're right about "nothing to see"!  That link doesn't work!!

Oops, sorry about that.  Fixed.... I think.
Sue Mee is AKA LipOff
My Home-Made Wackys

Offline BustedFinger

« Reply #157 on: December 22, 2010, 05:39:38 PM »

Here's a small version of the original scan.  I'll upload the full size scan when I can.

Interesting that expando link didn't work in the post, but I was able to get the URL when I clicked on "quote".  That is exactly what I am looking for.  The biggest version you have would be perfect.  Where did you find that scan?

Offline BustedFinger

« Reply #158 on: December 22, 2010, 05:40:59 PM »

Oops, sorry about that.  Fixed.... I think.

Actually, I was replying to Plan's post to Eric's website.  That link is not working!

Offline Gurgle

• recommends zircon-encrusted tweezers
« Reply #159 on: December 22, 2010, 06:18:13 PM »
Actually, I was replying to Plan's post to Eric's website.  That link is not working!

He left out a letter. It should be:
http://triksr4kids.com/

Offline Sue Mee

« Reply #160 on: December 22, 2010, 06:20:14 PM »
Interesting that expando link didn't work in the post, but I was able to get the URL when I clicked on "quote".  That is exactly what I am looking for.  The biggest version you have would be perfect.  Where did you find that scan?

I can't remember where I got it.  It's been a few years.

Here's a larger version [expando]http://www.midaswelby.com/Bustedfinger-Art.jpg[/expando]
Sue Mee is AKA LipOff
My Home-Made Wackys

Offline BustedFinger

« Reply #161 on: December 22, 2010, 06:36:28 PM »

Beautiful!  Thanks very much!  I appreciate it!!

Offline BustedFinger

« Reply #162 on: December 22, 2010, 06:38:24 PM »
He left out a letter. It should be:
http://triksr4kids.com/

I wonder what is up with his site being "under construction" now?  I remember that site used to have a bunch of great original art scans.  I am pretty sure that Bustedfinger was one of them and I would not be surprised if that is where SueMee originally got it from.

Offline Sue Mee

« Reply #163 on: December 22, 2010, 07:14:09 PM »
I wonder what is up with his site being "under construction" now?  I remember that site used to have a bunch of great original art scans.  I am pretty sure that Bustedfinger was one of them and I would not be surprised if that is where SueMee originally got it from.

That could very well be.  I know that the site I got Bustedfinger from, there were 120+ scans of original art that someone had posted.
Sue Mee is AKA LipOff
My Home-Made Wackys

Offline Gurgle

• recommends zircon-encrusted tweezers
« Reply #164 on: December 22, 2010, 07:56:35 PM »

Here's a larger version [expando]http://www.midaswelby.com/Bustedfinger-Art.jpg[/expando]

That band-aid is brilliant.

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #165 on: December 22, 2010, 11:22:21 PM »
I fixed the link. Here it is again.
www.triksr4kids.com

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #166 on: December 22, 2010, 11:25:57 PM »
I'll bet that's Norm's finger.

Offline Sue Mee

« Reply #167 on: December 23, 2010, 01:40:23 AM »
Another great painting from that batch of original art. [expando]http://photos.smugmug.com/photos/335341345_Dz2i6-X2.jpg[/expando]
Sue Mee is AKA LipOff
My Home-Made Wackys

Offline BustedFinger

« Reply #168 on: December 23, 2010, 11:18:05 AM »

That's a Band-Ache!

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #169 on: December 28, 2010, 12:42:00 PM »
Got my Crispux in last week and finally got time to scan. This one is 8X11 in size so it's quite big.

This is a fairly high res scan so to see it bigger you need to click on view full size below the picture. The scan doesn't do it justice. The colors pop out more in person.
All of the letters are hand painted. One thing I did notice is that he used a pen to draw in the hockey sticks on the puck. He uses a pen a lot on his sketches as well. Interesting.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2010, 12:43:46 PM by BumChex »

Offline Sue Mee

« Reply #170 on: December 28, 2010, 06:01:10 PM »
Got my Crispux in last week and finally got time to scan. This one is 8X11 in size so it's quite big.

This is a fairly high res scan so to see it bigger you need to click on view full size below the picture. The scan doesn't do it justice. The colors pop out more in person.
All of the letters are hand painted. One thing I did notice is that he used a pen to draw in the hockey sticks on the puck. He uses a pen a lot on his sketches as well. Interesting.

Hey Brad, thanks for posting but that scan is kinda wacked out. It's blurry.  Can you post a better scan?
Sue Mee is AKA LipOff
My Home-Made Wackys

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #171 on: December 28, 2010, 08:19:35 PM »

Hey Brad, thanks for posting but that scan is kinda wacked out. It's blurry.  Can you post a better scan?

It's blurry? Maybe my eyes aren't as good but it looks pretty good to me. I will scan it again soon. I can't tomorrow but by the weekend.

Offline Sue Mee

« Reply #172 on: December 28, 2010, 10:42:22 PM »
It's blurry? Maybe my eyes aren't as good but it looks pretty good to me. I will scan it again soon. I can't tomorrow but by the weekend.

Thanks!

Sue Mee is AKA LipOff
My Home-Made Wackys

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #173 on: December 30, 2010, 08:46:56 PM »

It's definitely a little fuzzy for a hi-res scan.  It's strange though because the signature looks fairly sharp.
Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #174 on: January 07, 2011, 12:39:39 PM »
take a look at the framed and matted Stake 5 Art.

anything