Author Topic: Batz Original Color Art Painting....  (Read 18062 times)

Offline CherryBombs

Batz Original Color Art Painting....
« on: June 01, 2010, 01:51:03 PM »
Hi Everybody.... I won the Batz Original over the weekend  ;D and I would love some feedback as to the the painting. The auction ended with one last bidder pushing it up to 710.00. Did I pay to much ??? I really am curious about this Old School stuff which cards people like etc.... ??? Since I'm new to collecting again all these years later any comments would be greatly appreciated.

The Regal Clown....
eBay ID: vintage-trading-cards

Offline RonZombie

• (AKA)"Ron of the Dead"
  • Take a "BITE" out of life!
Re: Batz Original Color Art Painting....
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2010, 01:55:01 PM »
Hi Everybody.... I won the Batz Original over the weekend  ;D and I would love some feedback as to the the painting. The auction ended with one last bidder pushing it up to 710.00. Did I pay to much ??? I really am curious about this Old School stuff which cards people like etc.... ??? Since I'm new to collecting again all these years later any comments would be greatly appreciated.

The Regal Clown....
Considering people out there are paying $1600+ for a "Sketch-Card" I would hardly say that you overpaid...Just my opinion ;)
"Treat others the way you like to be treated"

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2010, 02:14:13 PM »

The Regal Clown....

I think you did real well. That is a solid title!

Offline Feetena

• 10....err, 9 toes in every bowl!
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2010, 06:50:30 PM »
Considering people out there are paying $1600+ for a "Sketch-Card" I would hardly say that you overpaid...Just my opinion ;)

I concur!  I think it's a steal at that price, when you consider the relative value... 

Offline CherryBombs

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2010, 06:54:21 AM »
Can anyone assist me in which other roughs, proofs, unscored cards were available from the vault or ebay that I may be able to purchase to complete this set ??? Or who may have purchased anything regarding  Batz ???Looks like I'm late getting back into this little bit late :'(  I want to frame this one for keeps  ;D

The Regal Clown....
eBay ID: vintage-trading-cards

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2010, 10:22:53 AM »
Can anyone assist me in which other roughs, proofs, unscored cards were available from the vault or ebay that I may be able to purchase to complete this set ??? Or who may have purchased anything regarding  Batz ???Looks like I'm late getting back into this little bit late :'(  I want to frame this one for keeps  ;D

The Regal Clown....

I don't think so. I don't think a rough has shown up. Do you have the B&W Batz sketch? There is also one color sketch but it hasn't surfaced.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2010, 10:27:53 AM »
Here is a link to Dave's comments on Batz

http://www.wackypackagesforum.com/index.php?topic=4.msg2168#msg2168

I also noticed you double posted this questions so I will lock the other thread. No Worries!

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2010, 05:59:47 PM »

The Regal Clown....

It would appear that you paid exactly what it took to own it, no more, no less.  So if the goal was to own it, you didn't pay "too much".  If the goal was to pay less than $700, you did pay too much. 

Like others, I feel that price is low, and you should be happy.  And as long as you didn't overspend your personal budget - you should be.   Was it a steal?  The market would indicate otherwise.  It wasn't a secret auction, and so the world had the opportunity to bid it higher, but they didn't.  The market spoke, and $710 is more than anyone else on the planet was willing to pay, except for you.  At least on that particular day, during that particular hour.   
Jason Liebig - A swell TV host (currently on History Channel) who used to oversee Marvel Comics' X-Men - now creator and curator of WishbookWeb.com and CollectingCandy.com, a celebration of candy packaging, marketing and the people behind it all

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2010, 05:09:26 PM »
It would appear that you paid exactly what it took to own it, no more, no less.  So if the goal was to own it, you didn't pay "too much".  If the goal was to pay less than $700, you did pay too much. 

Like others, I feel that price is low, and you should be happy.  And as long as you didn't overspend your personal budget - you should be.   Was it a steal?  The market would indicate otherwise.  It wasn't a secret auction, and so the world had the opportunity to bid it higher, but they didn't.  The market spoke, and $710 is more than anyone else on the planet was willing to pay, except for you.  At least on that particular day, during that particular hour.   
Good points Jason. My Father repeatedly taught me that something is only worth what someone will pay for it. I wouldn’t call any won action a “steal”, since nobody was willing to bid higher. You can claim the item is worth more than you paid for it, but it’s a crap-shoot if you can actually find someone to pay you cash money at your “imaginary” price point. You might – but you might not.  IMO, it’s best for a serious “collector” to not care much care about hypothetical value – it adds a lot of stress to a funny hobby.  I do get caught up in the whole “value” of this and that, but it consistently brings me down, so I just try to ignore the whole subject and I purchase what I enjoy - period.

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2010, 01:11:54 AM »
I've seen several ANS paintings sell for well under $1000 a few years ago. Then they hit ebay again this year for buy it now listings of around $1300 and they both sold. You can get a deal on ebay if the higher bidders aren't paying attention that week.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2010, 11:34:54 AM by Plan 9 »

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2010, 07:11:36 AM »
I seen several ANS paintings sell for well under $1000 a few years ago. Then they hit ebay again this year for buy it now listings of around $1300 and they both sold. You can get a deal on ebay if the higher bidders aren't paying attention that week.

Similarly, you can take a loss if the higher bidders aren't paying attention the week that you decide to sell artwork that you thought was a bargain.  ;-)

I think my larger point here is that, sometimes with regards to collectibles, people start to put arbitrary values on things - like price guides do.  Baseball cards have become a commodity, but in my opinion, so much of that hobby is just a large pyramid scheme.  Because that hobby has forgotten the core buyer - a person who is willing to spend a certain amount to own a collectible item, just because they like it - rather than the many people willing to spend because they believe something is "worth" something.  Without a core buyer at the bottom (top?) of the pyramid, it's a pretty hollow valuation, built upon core buyers that may not even exitst.  [Edit:  Though, upon some further thought, is the value of gold much more than a similar, widely accepted pyramid?]

My gut and my appreciation level tells me that the Old School original paintings are selling well below what they're "worth", and the color sketches are selling for way higher than what they're worth.   But in the real world, for the moment anyway, I have to acknowledge that they are worth pretty much what they're selling for, by simple marketplace definition.

I could put conditions on the assessment:  Well, in a good economy, or if the high bidders actually saw the listings, or when Old School has culturally matured, but those are speculations - not value assessments, and we could as easily speculate that things could go the other way.  

I often feel like I'm getting great deals on things I buy on eBay, and that's partially because I was willing to pay far more than I did, and partially because I believe these items are worth more than what I paid - even though marketplace logic would tell me they are not worth more, at least not when I bought them.  

I just acquired a Gaines Burgers dog food box from 1971 - something I've been looking for for a few years.  I paid $15 on a BIN auction for it, though I would have paid far more than that.  If I tried to sell it, I'm not sure I could get even that $15, today or years from now.  Yet I still feel I got a deal, (and I may have, as it was a BIN, and those are a totally different conversation.)   It may not make any logical sense, but collecting and appreciating these things is tied up far more in emotion than logic.  

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jasonliebigstuff/4581824475/
Jason Liebig - A swell TV host (currently on History Channel) who used to oversee Marvel Comics' X-Men - now creator and curator of WishbookWeb.com and CollectingCandy.com, a celebration of candy packaging, marketing and the people behind it all

Offline Hustler08

• I Hustle for Wacky Packs!!!
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2010, 08:02:41 AM »
Similarly, you can take a loss if the higher bidders aren't paying attention the week that you decide to sell artwork that you thought was a bargain.  ;-)

I think my larger point here is that, sometimes with regards to collectibles, people start to put arbitrary values on things - like price guides do.  Baseball cards have become a commodity, but in my opinion, so much of that hobby is just a large pyramid scheme.  Because that hobby has forgotten the core buyer - a person who is willing to spend a certain amount to own a collectible item, just because they like it - rather than the many people willing to spend because they believe something is "worth" something.  Without a core buyer at the bottom (top?) of the pyramid, it's a pretty hollow valuation, built upon core buyers that may not even exitst.  [Edit:  Though, upon some further thought, is the value of gold much more than a similar, widely accepted pyramid?]

My gut and my appreciation level tells me that the Old School original paintings are selling well below what they're "worth", and the color sketches are selling for way higher than what they're worth.   But in the real world, for the moment anyway, I have to acknowledge that they are worth pretty much what they're selling for, by simple marketplace definition.

I could put conditions on the assessment:  Well, in a good economy, or if the high bidders actually saw the listings, or when Old School has culturally matured, but those are speculations - not value assessments, and we could as easily speculate that things could go the other way.  

I often feel like I'm getting great deals on things I buy on eBay, and that's partially because I was willing to pay far more than I did, and partially because I believe these items are worth more than what I paid - even though marketplace logic would tell me they are not worth more, at least not when I bought them.  

I just acquired a Gaines Burgers dog food box from 1971 - something I've been looking for for a few years.  I paid $15 on a BIN auction for it, though I would have paid far more than that.  If I tried to sell it, I'm not sure I could get even that $15, today or years from now.  Yet I still feel I got a deal, (and I may have, as it was a BIN, and those are a totally different conversation.)   It may not make any logical sense, but collecting and appreciating these things is tied up far more in emotion than logic.  

(Image removed from quote.)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jasonliebigstuff/4581824475/

I would agree with your logic, except that the WOS I art doesn't have as much cache as the ANS art due to its distribution..older products with lower distribution and a bad economy..Would the ANS art be selling for 1000+ in today's ebay market? maybe select pieces, but I would say no...I've seen pieces sold years ago 1000+ take a +300+400 hit (loss) or with no bids at all...goes to your point of 'who's watching that week'...

But for those who like it...its a steal... :]

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2010, 10:41:07 AM »
I would agree with your logic, except that the WOS I art doesn't have as much cache as the ANS art due to its distribution..older products with lower distribution and a bad economy..Would the ANS art be selling for 1000+ in today's ebay market? maybe select pieces, but I would say no...I've seen pieces sold years ago 1000+ take a +300+400 hit (loss) or with no bids at all...goes to your point of 'who's watching that week'...

But for those who like it...its a steal... :]

Sounds like Plan is saying that ANS artwork has actually sold for more on eBay in today's economy... or at least last years' bad economy, compared to a few years ago.   

More importantly, what you said here also illustrates just how subjective the discussion of valuation is.  Personally, I have minimal interest in owning ANS artwork, but Old School artwork is something I would love to own, due to era of the subject matter, and some other reasons.  Also, while you point to the lack of wide distribution as a knock against Old School's potential cache, one could just as easily consider Old School's distribution a "plus".  Perhaps the kind of serious collectors who would seek out original artwork would put a premium on Old School artwork, as they are more like the original 1970's releases, and there are fewer pieces so therefore more "special".   That's certainly the way I see it. 

:-)

-J

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2010, 05:50:50 PM »
I seen several ANS paintings sell for well under $1000 a few years ago. Then they hit ebay again this year for buy it now listings of around $1300 and they both sold. You can get a deal on ebay if the higher bidders aren't paying attention that week.
You're right. There is such a thing as a good deal and a steal - I'm sure some people make a good living just sitting at their computer reselling things. 

anything