Author Topic: The Wrapper Magazine  (Read 6625 times)

Offline 70s_Kid

The Wrapper Magazine
« on: December 16, 2013, 10:30:18 AM »
What a flash from the past.  I remember anxiously awaiting each new issue to see if there were any good Wacky Packages for sale in the classified section.  This was of course before Evilbay.  I see it's still in business.  I would be interested in knowing if anyone still subscribes to this magazine.  I used to really enjoy reading it.  I don't think I've had a subscription since the mid 90's.  Jeff

Offline jaylynch

• World Record Sketch Artist
Re: The Wrapper Magazine
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2013, 10:40:06 AM »
I still get it.  Some good articles these days.  It would be good to see a "best of the Wrapper" book come out with only the articles and no ads.  Then I could discard my 50 foot high pile of back issues and use the space to construct another bedroom.

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2013, 12:37:13 PM »
I still get it.  Some good articles these days.  It would be good to see a "best of the Wrapper" book come out with only the articles and no ads.  Then I could discard my 50 foot high pile of back issues and use the space to construct another bedroom.

Agreed! The articles are really top-notch! Still a great publication!

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2013, 12:45:37 PM »
I'm still a subscriber.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2013, 03:48:42 AM »
I still subscribe.

Offline Pupsi-Cola

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2013, 11:40:36 AM »
What a flash from the past.  I remember anxiously awaiting each new issue to see if there were any good Wacky Packages for sale in the classified section.  This was of course before Evilbay.  I see it's still in business.  I would be interested in knowing if anyone still subscribes to this magazine.  I used to really enjoy reading it.  I don't think I've had a subscription since the mid 90's.  Jeff

Indeed Jeff, A flash from the past to be sure, I don't subscribe to it any longer, As a matter of fact The last time I got an issue was back in 2011.

Offline Slaytex99

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2013, 08:14:18 PM »
Wow I never knew about this.  I just ordered a sample issue.  Thanks guys this sounds cool  :great:

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2013, 03:20:54 AM »
I repurchased OS 1-10 from a Wrapper ad about 15 years ago. That's how I got back into the hobby. No internet. Just Wrapper ads and shows.

A simpler time indeed.

Andrew

Offline 70s_Kid

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2013, 03:07:48 PM »
I am going to resubscribe since Jay was mentioning the good articles, and being old school I think it would be cool to read it again. Has anyone seen wackys listed in the Classifieds?

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2013, 05:07:15 PM »
I am going to resubscribe since Jay was mentioning the good articles, and being old school I think it would be cool to read it again. Has anyone seen wackys listed in the Classifieds?

Sometimes, but they're almost always overpriced. I've never bought a thing though the mag, but it's still fun to read.

Offline jaylynch

• World Record Sketch Artist
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2013, 08:11:07 PM »
If you scroll down here on this link, I think they reprint one of the "History of Topps" WRAPPER articles.  http://toppsarchives.blogspot.com/search/label/American%20Leaf%20Tobacco%20Company
There are lots of interesting esoteric articles on Topps history on this blog.    http://toppsarchives.blogspot.com/search/label/American%20Leaf%20Tobacco%20Company

Offline 70s_Kid

« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2013, 07:22:55 AM »
Thanks Jay!

Offline quas

« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2013, 05:39:10 AM »
If you scroll down here on this link, I think they reprint one of the "History of Topps" WRAPPER articles.  http://toppsarchives.blogspot.com/search/label/American%20Leaf%20Tobacco%20Company
There are lots of interesting esoteric articles on Topps history on this blog.    http://toppsarchives.blogspot.com/search/label/American%20Leaf%20Tobacco%20Company

There have been quite a few Wrapper articles on Wackies throughout the years.  A list to all Wrapper articles is here:

http://non-sport.com/wrapperidx2.html

Just search on "wack" and you will find most if not all the articles.  Wrapper writers (like myself, occasionally) receive no monetary or other compensation for our writing; we write purely out of love for the non-sports collecting hobby (and it's maybe an ego boost to see our names and the fruits of our labor in print).  The Wrapper exists on a shoestring budget and is a black and white publication.

The publisher, Les Davis, is always looking for new articles and I'm sure he would appreciate it if some of the more literate Forum members (which is most of us, I think) would contribute some articles on Wackies.  Here is my thought:  there are some strings in the Forum that are factual and could definitely be used as the basis for at least 10 Wrapper articles on Wackies.  Anyone willing to do some research and article writing?

If so, here is a direct link to the Wrapper website and Les:

http://www.thewrappermagazine.com

Maybe the first step would be to identify 10 strings within the Forum that would be suitable for article writing.  The next step would be to identify volunteer writers.  Any ideas as to the Top 10 strings that could be used as the basis for articles?
Marc

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2013, 06:31:00 AM »
Part of the problem is that the articles need to be fairly accessible to the casual non-sport hobbyist. I'd say most of the really interesting research threads over the years are far too detailed in terns of required wacky interest and knowledge to be appropriate, but I guess you never know.

Offline quas

« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2013, 08:46:33 AM »
Part of the problem is that the articles need to be fairly accessible to the casual non-sport hobbyist. I'd say most of the really interesting research threads over the years are far too detailed in terns of required wacky interest and knowledge to be appropriate, but I guess you never know.
That should not pose a problem.  There are some very detailed Wrapper articles about sets from the 1950s and 1960s with charts and tables, for example, that many if not most collectors would never want to get into the minutia of (and I'm guilty of authorship in some cases).  Wacky articles would help formalize some of the materials that up until now just exists (and is somewhat hidden unless you were part of the dialogue at some point) in Forum threads.  The 2000 publication The Wacky Packages Gallery by Argyropoulos and Carpenter could severely use some updating!
Marc

Offline Ruffs

« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2013, 09:02:13 AM »
Is Paul &  or Phil on the Forum at all?

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2013, 09:52:17 AM »
Is Paul &  or Phil on the Forum at all?

Paul is pretty much out of the hobby, Phil shows up a couple of times a decade to make pronouncements.

Offline Ruffs

« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2013, 11:44:30 AM »
Phil had quite an original art collection

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2013, 02:42:44 PM »

Yep, he and Mike Gidwitz certainly made a killing on it.

Offline Pupsi-Cola

« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2014, 10:10:38 AM »

Indeed Jeff, A flash from the past to be sure, I don't subscribe to it any longer, As a matter of fact The last time I got an issue was back in 2011.

For anyone interested, I have back issues available from #239 to #261, Special new year price for the lot or any individual issue, Send me a PM with offer.

Offline BRUTE_88

« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2014, 04:33:20 PM »

Well, at least he still owns Run Tony...

Offline Ruffs

« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2014, 05:02:06 PM »
Well, at least he still owns Run Tony...
What did he do sell all his pieces?

anything