Author Topic: Beware of ebay seller Libertyblue AKA William Cody  (Read 19286 times)

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
Beware of ebay seller Libertyblue AKA William Cody
« on: April 25, 2010, 11:50:14 AM »
The ebay seller from the UK - Libertyblue AKA William Cody is a total scumbag. Leslie just emailed me to let me know that he sold her the Jay Lynch self portrait sketch for $500 and then he told her he had 2 others from the sketch poster so she accepted the offer of $1300 for the 3 card lot. The package just arrived and he sent her a chicken fat sketch and 10 beat up original series wacky's. The guy won't return emails now and Paypal won't do anything about it because it wasn't an auction.
This guy was on the forum briefly under the username zezzy, or something like that, trying to sell sketches.
Anyone know how she can get her money back?

Offline Duznt

• - John K -
Re: Beware of ebay seller Libertyblue AKA William Cody
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2010, 12:47:25 PM »
The ebay seller from the UK - Libertyblue AKA William Cody is a total scumbag. Leslie just emailed me to let me know that he sold her the Jay Lynch self portrait sketch for $500 and then he told her he had 2 others from the sketch poster so she accepted the offer of $1300 for the 3 card lot. The package just arrived and he sent her a chicken fat sketch and 10 beat up original series wacky's. The guy won't return emails now and Paypal won't do anything about it because it wasn't an auction.
This guy was on the forum briefly under the username zezzy, or something like that, trying to sell sketches.

If she used a credit card for the Paypal transaction, maybe she can do a "charge back" through the credit card company? Or if through her bank account, maybe she can do the same type of thing with her bank?

Also isn't there still a way to get the seller's contact info through ebay, so she can give him a call to maybe work it out?

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2010, 01:35:35 PM »
What happened to paypal providing protection regardless of whether a transaction was through ebay?  Paypal facilitated the fraud so it seems to me that she should easily be able to get his contact info.  I believe she is allowed to represent herself and subpoena the info.
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline 21Fold

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2010, 02:28:29 PM »
Per Paypal's site regarding items not purchased through ebay:

The PayPal Buyer Complaint Policy is similar to PayPal Buyer Protection in that it enables buyers to file Disputes for Items Not Received (INR), or for items that are Significantly Not as Described (SNAD). By filing a Dispute, you can communicate with the seller and attempt to resolve the problem. If you are unable to resolve the problem, you may escalate an Item Not Received (INR) Dispute to a Claim – but you may not escalate a Significantly Not as Described Dispute to a Claim.You may not file a dispute for a Personal Payment.

Not sure how the international factor will impact this process.  And of course as was already suggested, if a credit card was used to fund the paypal payment, a buyer still has full recourse by disputing the charge with the credit card company. 

Greg

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2010, 03:16:55 PM »
Per Paypal's site regarding items not purchased through ebay:

The PayPal Buyer Complaint Policy is similar to PayPal Buyer Protection in that it enables buyers to file Disputes for Items Not Received (INR), or for items that are Significantly Not as Described (SNAD). By filing a Dispute, you can communicate with the seller and attempt to resolve the problem. If you are unable to resolve the problem, you may escalate an Item Not Received (INR) Dispute to a Claim – but you may not escalate a Significantly Not as Described Dispute to a Claim.You may not file a dispute for a Personal Payment.

Not sure how the international factor will impact this process.  And of course as was already suggested, if a credit card was used to fund the paypal payment, a buyer still has full recourse by disputing the charge with the credit card company. 

Greg
The fact that it was international makes it even worse. Paypal doesn't offer protection from international transactions.

Offline 21Fold

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2010, 03:25:30 PM »
Not sure about that.  I know it can be tricky to get seller protection if shipping internationally.  Never have encountered that situation as a buyer. 

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2010, 07:15:56 AM »

Wow, that sucks, so when he said he had 2 others from the sketch poster did she expect that they were colored ones?  I would think she would have asked for scans, no? 
Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2010, 07:18:23 AM »
Wow, that sucks, so when he said he had 2 others from the sketch poster did she expect that they were colored ones?  I would think she would have asked for scans, no? 

She did ask for scans and he sent them to her. She couldn't forward the scans to me for some issues she is having with email so she described where they are on the poster:

Not the names but I will tell you where they are on the poster.1- row -right monster with long eyes next to the colored capn crud on the top right corner,2-On left side of poster 4th row down B&W man ,3-Bottom of poster 2nd from left B&W man next to colored school teacher. 

Offline FourRoses

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2010, 07:27:05 AM »
Maybe your paypal account was used w/o your permission or "hacked"?

I've had a problem like yours except he was a fraudulent buyer from Canada. The transaction wasn't through ebay yet they still handled the situatuon properly. Money was returned.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2010, 07:36:46 AM by FourRoses »

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2010, 07:36:21 AM »
Maybe your paypal account was used w/o your permission or "hacked"?

Don't follow you here?

Offline FourRoses

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2010, 07:53:56 AM »
In otherwords: Tell paypal you didn't authorize that transaction. Technically speaking, you didn't authorize payment for those specific cards.

Offline quas

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2010, 09:11:03 AM »
Just in case anyone wants to find the guy on ebay, it's "libertyblue3636" and here is a link to the auction that started the whole thing:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150430443360&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Amazingly the guy has 100% feedback with over 700 feedbacks.  Must have some sort of a Jekyll and Hyde personality or some sort of other mental disorder.
Marc

Offline jeffcaff

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2010, 09:33:47 AM »
People have been cutting up the Topps Sketch posters and passing them off as original 1/1 Jay Lynch Sketches.  I assume this is the reason that Topps stopped selling the posters last month.  I know that they could not have sold out that quickly.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2010, 09:43:01 AM »
People have been cutting up the Topps Sketch posters and passing them off as original 1/1 Jay Lynch Sketches.  I assume this is the reason that Topps stopped selling the posters last month.  I know that they could not have sold out that quickly.
Topps told me that they stopped selling both of the Old School posters on their site because of the media mail shipping problems.

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2010, 10:59:17 AM »
She did ask for scans and he sent them to her. She couldn't forward the scans to me for some issues she is having with email so she described where they are on the poster:

Not the names but I will tell you where they are on the poster.1- row -right monster with long eyes next to the colored capn crud on the top right corner,2-On left side of poster 4th row down B&W man ,3-Bottom of poster 2nd from left B&W man next to colored school teacher. 

Oh, so he totally F'ed her, told her he was sending 2 colored ones and sent only one cheap b&w?  That's a big loss if that's the case.
Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)

Offline ScaryLee

« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2010, 11:27:13 AM »

Who has been passing off cut up posters as real sketches? On ebay or in private deals? Please let us know. That was my guess in regards to Libertyblue, he probably cut up a sketch poster.

Offline ScaryLee

« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2010, 11:31:10 AM »
It's a fake. I cut out a block off the top border and pasted at the bottom, you can see how it is way off kilter:

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2010, 12:04:08 PM »
It's a fake. I cut out a block off the top border and pasted at the bottom, you can see how it is way off kilter:

Holy crap! I almost got screwed over by this guy also. He originally offered it to me for $250. I sent him the paypal payment and then about an hour later he sent me a refund and said it wasn't available. It took about 2 weeks to get a refund but it did come through. So he then got the message from Leslie with a higher offer. I wonder why he didn't screw me over as well?
This guy is a total scumbag!

Offline ScaryLee

« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2010, 12:23:25 PM »
Holy crap! I almost got screwed over by this guy also. He originally offered it to me for $250. I sent him the paypal payment and then about an hour later he sent me a refund and said it wasn't available. It took about 2 weeks to get a refund but it did come through. So he then got the message from Leslie with a higher offer. I wonder why he didn't screw me over as well?
This guy is a total scumbag!

Just taking a wild guess here, maybe you paid with a credit card and he was able to tell it was a credit card? I can't figure out why he wouldn't have kept your money otherwise.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2010, 12:39:46 PM »
Just taking a wild guess here, maybe you paid with a credit card and he was able to tell it was a credit card? I can't figure out why he wouldn't have kept your money otherwise.

That is probably it. Leslie did say she used part balance and the Paypal Mastercard. This guy knew what he was doing all along. Total premeditated.

Offline RonZombie

• (AKA)"Ron of the Dead"
  • Take a "BITE" out of life!
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2010, 12:50:43 PM »
That is probably it. Leslie did say she used part balance and the Paypal Mastercard. This guy knew what he was doing all along. Total premeditated.
I do'nt understand people like that for the life of me, my mind does'nt work like that. Like you said a total "skumbag" things like this make me mad!!! >(
"Treat others the way you like to be treated"

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2010, 12:59:11 PM »
We should all message him though ebay messaging. I already did and this is what I said:

Dude, What are you doing? I just found out you totally screwed over Leslie for $1300. She bought 3 cards from you and then you sent her garbage. This included the card you sold me and then refunded my money. Why would you totally screw this person over. Send her a refund now! You know what you did was illegal and she can take actions against you. Just because you are an ocean away doesn't mean you can get away with taking peoples money. Totally unethical and criminal.
Do the right thing and send her a refund.

Here is his email address also - kerrydhillon87@yahoo.co.uk

This guy is a thief and this really pisses me off. It could have been anyone on the forum and that is what really pisses me off.

Offline RonZombie

• (AKA)"Ron of the Dead"
  • Take a "BITE" out of life!
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2010, 01:09:40 PM »
We should all message him though ebay messaging. I already did and this is what I said:

Dude, What are you doing? I just found out you totally screwed over Leslie for $1300. She bought 3 cards from you and then you sent her garbage. This included the card you sold me and then refunded my money. Why would you totally screw this person over. Send her a refund now! You know what you did was illegal and she can take actions against you. Just because you are an ocean away doesn't mean you can get away with taking peoples money. Totally unethical and criminal.

This guy is a thief and this really pisses me off. It could have been anyone on the forum and that is what really pisses me off.

I just did the same thing! I'm w/you on this...it's people like this that ruin buying online for a lot of people!!
"Treat others the way you like to be treated"

Offline bandaches

« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2010, 03:04:08 PM »

I am not following you here.
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline bandaches

« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2010, 03:07:20 PM »

Something doesn't add up here.  Perfect feedback, why did he bother to send her anything?  Why not send an empty box if he was merely trying to establish tracking.  I predict there is more to learn about this that will make more sense than someone suddenly becoming a criminal.  Maybe a son or daughter got a hold of a perfectly legit account or someone hacked into his ebay account knowing he is away or something.  This all just strikes me as very odd.  Again, why did he bother to mail anything at all if the intent was to commit fraud?

Offline BustedFinger

• Just a simple collector. No books, no websites, no arguments!
  • I wonder where this text will appear?
« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2010, 03:07:45 PM »

I don't get this either.  How does this prove the card is a fake?
Giving "The Hobby" the finger since 1999!

Offline bandaches

« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2010, 03:21:09 PM »
If a scan is fuzzy at all, you will often get the appearance of a jagged border, not sure if that is where Scary Lee was going with this.

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2010, 05:38:45 PM »
I do'nt understand people like that for the life of me, my mind does'nt work like that. Like you said a total "skumbag" things like this make me mad!!! >(
Ron, we are all sinners in the eyes of God, and greed is but one of seven.

Of the Seven Deadly Sins, anger is possibly the most fun. To lick your wounds, to smack your lips over grievances long past, to roll over your tongue the prospect of bitter confrontations still to come, to savor to the last toothsome morsel both the pain you are given and the pain you are giving back -- in many ways it is a feast fit for a king. The chief drawback is that what you are wolfing down is yourself. The skeleton at the feast is you.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2010, 07:19:56 PM »
I am not following you here.
The card is miscut as it was cut from the poster. He said he also has another 2 cards that are on the poster that she couldn't email me. She tried but it stripped the attachments for some reason.

Offline bandaches

« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2010, 07:25:34 PM »
The card is miscut as it was cut from the poster. He said he also has another 2 cards that are on the poster that she couldn't email me. She tried but it stripped the attachments for some reason.
Gotcha!  I didn't equate "fake" with "cut from the poster" and now I see the extra white edge sticking out where he did the repaste.  I still don't understand why the guy bothered to mail anything, something very odd going on here!

Offline ScaryLee

« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2010, 08:18:46 PM »

Because if you scan a real sketch card and cut a block out at the top and paste it down the bottom it is much closer to being exactly centered. This one clearly has 10% or more white border at the top than it does at the bottom.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #31 on: April 27, 2010, 07:03:23 AM »
Because if you scan a real sketch card and cut a block out at the top and paste it down the bottom it is much closer to being exactly centered. This one clearly has 10% or more white border at the top than it does at the bottom.
I also noticed the card width is smaller then a normal sketch card. Both borders are off enough to know this is not an original.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #32 on: April 28, 2010, 12:16:10 PM »
I have attached the scans the guy sent Leslie of the other 2 cards he was selling in the 3 card lot. Wasn't the card with the eye's bulging out found by one of our forum members? I just can't remember now.

Offline Kook

« Reply #33 on: April 28, 2010, 01:39:16 PM »
I have attached the scans the guy sent Leslie of the other 2 cards he was selling in the 3 card lot. Wasn't the card with the eye's bulging out found by one of our forum members? I just can't remember now.

This card (eye popper) is in the "Old School Tough Sketches" thread on this forum. Kook Aid sold it on ebay for $750 per the posts.

Offline ScaryLee

« Reply #34 on: April 28, 2010, 03:00:07 PM »

Wow this is unbelievable. I am fairly certain that Leslie is the person that wound up with the eye popper sketch for $750. Shouldn't it have thrown up red flags for her when the guy came up with the exact same sketch?

anything