Author Topic: OLDS 4 Sketches  (Read 101483 times)

Offline Hustler08

• I Hustle for Wacky Packs!!!
Re: OLDS 4 Sketches
« Reply #175 on: January 08, 2013, 03:34:04 AM »
I can never pull these awesome sketches. I've only seen about 4 of the ones you posted for OLDS3. Damn!

I pulled his Spit&Spill one its GREAT!!will post latrer..

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
« Reply #176 on: January 08, 2013, 03:02:01 PM »
I think that I have finally compiled a list of the current sketch artists:

Brent Engstrom
Smokin Joe
Neil Camera
Sara Richard
Mark Parisi
Jay Lynch
Mark Pingatore
Pat Barrett
Strephon Taylor
George Wright
Fred Wheaton
Jason Brower
Sam Gambino
Colin Walton
Maz Adams
Unknown Artist with illegible scribble script??

No Bhob Stewart, John Zeleznik Matthew Kirscht, Joe Simko, Dave Gross or Bill Griffith in this series.

Let me know if I am missing anyone.
I never thought a signature would impact a sketch for me but I hate that scribble signature that expands outside the signature box.  Is that Jim Hunt or something like that?
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #177 on: January 08, 2013, 03:32:14 PM »
Today's pulls. Sorry, the Wright has a new home.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #178 on: January 08, 2013, 03:33:29 PM »

Who is the Parisi character in the middle?

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #179 on: January 08, 2013, 03:34:03 PM »

Who are the two Gambino characters on the bottom right?

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #180 on: January 08, 2013, 03:43:14 PM »
??? and Belches Grape Jelly

• Administrator
« Reply #181 on: January 08, 2013, 03:43:42 PM »
Who is the Parisi character in the middle?
possibly Schtick? same X bandage on the cheek.

Offline Alexeirex

« Reply #182 on: January 08, 2013, 03:57:35 PM »

The Hostage Twinkies is amazing!

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #183 on: January 08, 2013, 04:21:14 PM »
The Hostage Twinkies is amazing!

You should see it in person. So much better than the scan. Most of the color sketches look better in person, some not so much.

Offline Pupsi-Cola

« Reply #184 on: January 08, 2013, 08:28:33 PM »
Wright Sketches. These are not mine. They belong to another collector.

Now that is what I call a terrific trio.

Offline MadMike

« Reply #185 on: January 08, 2013, 11:05:26 PM »
I enjoy seeing all the sketch cards that everyone is posting.  There are some amazing artists doing these sketches. 

I was wondering about the "quality" of the work on some of them.  It seems to me that some artists take their time and really shoot for the "WOW" factor by providing detail and creativity that blows our minds and makes us want more.  On the other hand, some of the sketches look like they were done in a hurry with very little creativity or detail.  Kind of like the kid scribbling out his homework on the school bus in the morning on the way to school.

I may be just expecting too much from a sketch card.  However, some of the "detailed" sketches have made me seriously start looking into buying some other art pieces from those artists.  I look at these sketch cards as an opportunity for artists to reach a new audience and show everyone what they are capable of doing.  Seems like a wasted opportunity if all you do is satisfy the minimum requirement of getting the job done.

It would also be interesting to know how long it takes for an artist to create a sketch card.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #186 on: January 09, 2013, 07:33:30 AM »

I was wondering about the "quality" of the work on some of them.  It seems to me that some artists take their time and really shoot for the "WOW" factor by providing detail and creativity that blows our minds and makes us want more.  On the other hand, some of the sketches look like they were done in a hurry with very little creativity or detail.  Kind of like the kid scribbling out his homework on the school bus in the morning on the way to school.

That is why it's a total crap shoot when ordering boxes. You never know what you are going to pull. You will also notice more detail generally brings in a higher market value. I guess the way to look at it is the the detailed sketches are like short prints and much rarer than the not so detailed.

Offline jeffcaff

« Reply #187 on: January 09, 2013, 08:14:10 AM »
Another thing to consider is the actual amount of sketch cards that each artist did.  In the past, each artist generally did the same amount of sketch cards.  The big exception was that Jay Lynch only did about 50 in OLDS3 so his sketches were selling for significantly higher.  The quantities of sketch cards drawn by Jay Lynch, George Wright and Brent Engstrom from OLDS4 was substantially lower.  Even though there is not a lot of detail in the Engstrom sketches, they will demand a premium based on the quantities drawn.  Many wacky collectors want at least one sketch per artist. In this series, these three artists did disproportionally lower quantities than the other artists.  I believe that these three artists probably did between 75 to 125 sketches each. 

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #188 on: January 09, 2013, 08:21:51 AM »
  Even though there is not a lot of detail in the Engstrom sketches, they will demand a premium based on the quantities drawn. 

Have you looked at his sketches for OLDS4? Here is a link to his blog http://monkeyboycomic.blogspot.com
They are fantastic with a lot of detail. I want them all!

Offline ToadallyDude

« Reply #189 on: January 09, 2013, 11:54:46 AM »
This sketch card is awesome!!  I doubt the scan will do it justice, but the worm looks totally separate from the background part of the card - sitting here, looking at the card on the desk, it seems like 3D.

OK... NOW I like the sketch cards!  Great one, George!

Offline bandaches

« Reply #190 on: January 09, 2013, 02:58:11 PM »
That is why it's a total crap shoot when ordering boxes. You never know what you are going to pull. You will also notice more detail generally brings in a higher market value. I guess the way to look at it is the the detailed sketches are like short prints and much rarer than the not so detailed.
Actually, MAdmike made no reference to value of sketches whatsoever in his post.  He is merely pointing out to the artists who look like they sketched their cards during a commerical break that they missed an opportunity to attract an audience who might want to get more of their work in the future.  His point is well made as there are some seriously low quality sketch cards in this OLDS4 run and it could make a collector wonder why there is such a wide difference in quality and wonder if possibly any guidelines are set towards what is expected of these sketch cards.

This has nothing to do with buying cases of new stuff in hopes to get "valuable" sketch cards as many play this like lottery scratch offs.

Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #191 on: January 09, 2013, 03:49:06 PM »

This has nothing to do with buying cases of new stuff in hopes to get "valuable" sketch cards as many play this like lottery scratch offs.

I'm not looking for "valuable" sketches. I'm looking for awesome sketches for my collection. I just pointed out that their is more value in nice sketches and that point is pretty obvious. There is also a difference of opinion when it comes to certain sketches. Some may be collecting a certain character and want the same character by each artist. One sketch means 2 different things to 2 different people. I may have a highly detailed sketch and love it but you may look at it and hate it because it's not one of your favorite characters. I also like some of the lower quality sketches because it's a character I like.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #192 on: January 09, 2013, 04:17:55 PM »
I'm not looking for "valuable" sketches. I'm looking for awesome sketches for my collection. I just pointed out that their is more value in nice sketches and that point is pretty obvious. There is also a difference of opinion when it comes to certain sketches. Some may be collecting a certain character and want the same character by each artist. One sketch means 2 different things to 2 different people. I may have a highly detailed sketch and love it but you may look at it and hate it because it's not one of your favorite characters. I also like some of the lower quality sketches because it's a character I like.

Here's one that arrived today that I'm thrilled to have been able to add to my collection!

Offline DrSushi

« Reply #193 on: January 09, 2013, 04:22:14 PM »
Here's one that arrived today that I'm thrilled to have been able to add to my collection!

What serendipity! That would make a good alternate avatar.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #194 on: January 09, 2013, 04:29:57 PM »

Parisi sketches always make me laugh. He should do a set of Wackys. I know he contributes to the gags already. Since Dave does OLDS and Neil does PCs we could use a Parisi series.

• Administrator
« Reply #195 on: January 09, 2013, 04:50:16 PM »
Parisi sketches always make me laugh. He should do a set of Wackys. I know he contributes to the gags already. Since Dave does OLDS and Neil does PCs we could use a Parisi series.
perhaps a set of gags in a daily calendar type format - but instead a week-to-week set of 52 to make it more manageable.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #196 on: January 09, 2013, 06:12:28 PM »
perhaps a set of gags in a daily calendar type format - but instead a week-to-week set of 52 to make it more manageable.

That's a great idea. He could call it 'off the Mark' you know, since his name is Mark and all. You may have something there.

Offline quas

« Reply #197 on: January 09, 2013, 06:50:25 PM »
I pulled his Spit&Spill one its GREAT!!will post latrer..

Was this Spit&Spill ever posted?

Also, any idea what this apparently non-original-series character is supposed to be:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wacky-Packages-OLD-SCHOOL-SERIES-4-Sketch-Card-Cat-Drinking-JAY-LYNCH-/281049284803?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item416fd7c0c3
Marc

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #198 on: January 09, 2013, 06:54:33 PM »

Also, any idea what this apparently non-original-series character is supposed to be:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wacky-Packages-OLD-SCHOOL-SERIES-4-Sketch-Card-Cat-Drinking-JAY-LYNCH-/281049284803?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item416fd7c0c3

Isn't it gatoraid?

Offline quas

« Reply #199 on: January 09, 2013, 06:57:49 PM »
Isn't it gatoraid?

Yep, guess I was fixated on looking for a cat...
Marc

Offline bandaches

« Reply #200 on: January 09, 2013, 07:10:09 PM »
I agree with your points but they again have nothing to do with what Mike posted.  He has made no commentary on character collecting or differentiating each collector's individual desires and tastes, he is pointing out that clearly there is a very wide disparity in the detail in the sketches and that the artists who didn't bother to make an effort to provide detailed sketches may have missed a chance to wow some collectors into pursuing some of their other work.  I again think Mike's point is well made.

Offline Hustler08

• I Hustle for Wacky Packs!!!
« Reply #201 on: January 09, 2013, 07:51:19 PM »

no but I will!!

Offline paste_anyplace

• is just this guy, you know?
    • Fred Wheaton's home page at hipsteria.com
« Reply #202 on: January 09, 2013, 10:03:35 PM »

The surprised-looking kid in the bottom middle is from ANS6's "Pest dispenser."

Offline paste_anyplace

• is just this guy, you know?
    • Fred Wheaton's home page at hipsteria.com
« Reply #203 on: January 09, 2013, 10:08:23 PM »
Why does Quacker have fangs and look so mean or is it another character that I'm missing?

I drew a small subset of Wacky characters as vampires. I can see now that the Quacker is the least obviously vampiric of the bunch.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #204 on: January 09, 2013, 10:35:48 PM »
The surprised-looking kid in the bottom middle is from ANS6's "Pest dispenser."
WoW, there should be some reward for this. No one would have ever guessed it. That probably tells you I haven't looked that hard at the newer stuff. Good Eye.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #205 on: January 09, 2013, 10:37:18 PM »
I drew a small subset of Wacky characters as vampires. I can see now that the Quacker is the least obviously vampiric of the bunch.

Thanks for clearing this up. I was so confused as to what character this was. this is awesome! Thanks again for telling us this.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #206 on: January 09, 2013, 10:44:56 PM »
I agree with your points but they again have nothing to do with what Mike posted. 

So What? It's all conversation. We aren't judged on our posts. It's all comments. Geeze, can't you just relax? Seriously?

Offline Alexeirex

« Reply #207 on: January 10, 2013, 01:44:08 AM »
Hey Wacky Mavens - Some of my pulls - 2 Gambinos and a Pat Garrett - Any ideas as to what parodies these are referencing?
« Last Edit: January 10, 2013, 01:50:38 AM by Alexeirex »

Offline Alexeirex

« Reply #208 on: January 10, 2013, 01:49:05 AM »
 Another 3, with an unknown Wacky in the middle - loving the Campy and Crust sketches
« Last Edit: January 10, 2013, 01:51:33 AM by Alexeirex »

Offline S.H.

« Reply #209 on: January 10, 2013, 03:05:15 AM »
So What? It's all conversation. We aren't judged on our posts. It's all comments. Geeze, can't you just relax? Seriously?
.   This. I never post, just extensively lurk to gather info for my collection, and I've noticed since at least last year an excessive need to seek out and either belittle or argue with every point in every post BC makes. It turns what should be an enjoyable and informative read into an awkward and uncomfortable one. I dont wanna say it seems like jealousy over how many boxes dude has...but it seems like jealousy over how many boxes dude has. Yeah, yeah, where do you get off noob, I know. Just putting it out there that its a shame that an otherwise great hangout be marred with such nitpicking. Sheesh. What a waste of an official first post. Any road, my name is Shane, nice to finally meet you folks (feel like I already know alot of you). Alright. Back to sneakin' around.