Author Topic: Sam Gambino  (Read 44597 times)

Offline Sam Gambino

• www.samgambino.com
Sam Gambino
« on: August 08, 2012, 10:27:30 PM »
I'm new to the forum here, but I loved Wacky Packages way back starting in 1974 for me.  I grew up south of Detroit and used to get them at places like Sam's Beer Store and the Short Stop in Lincoln Park, Michigan.  I wish I still had the same ones from when I was a kid.  However, I'm pleased to have just finished a couple of paintings this year for series 9 and one for the postcard series.  I painted "Sprout" and "Dribbles and Spits."  Thanks for looking!

« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 11:03:12 PM by Sam Gambino »

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
Re: Introducing myself....
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2012, 03:27:37 AM »
I'm new to the forum here, but I loved Wacky Packages way back starting in 1974 for me.  I grew up south of Detroit and used to get them at places like Sam's Beer Store and the Short Stop in Lincoln Park, Michigan.  I wish I still had the same ones from when I was a kid.  However, I'm pleased to have just finished a couple of paintings this year for series 9 and one for the postcard series.  I painted "Sprout" and "Dribbles and Spits."  Thanks for looking!

(Image removed from quote.)

Sam, Welcome to the forum! I'm sure we all anticipate seeing further titles from you. It must be extremely cool to become involved with the creation of something you enjoyed so much as a kid.
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline Rabid Shaver

• Trivia Pirates
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2012, 04:29:35 AM »
Hi Sam ....welcome to the Forum!.....Great job,  My Wife Love's the Dribbles and Spits, LOL  :cool2:

Offline DrSushi

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2012, 06:05:07 AM »
Welcome to the forum, Sam! I love the character on Sprouts, nice work.

I grew up in Allen Park, Michigan and worked part-time through much of high school and college at the Sibley's Shoes in Lincoln Park (at Southfield and Dix - which reminds me of one of the best burns I heard in high school - "You're just like Southfield, always running into Dix).

Offline Sam Gambino

• www.samgambino.com
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2012, 10:25:28 AM »
Thanks so much for the kind words, and it's great to meet you Sco(o)t, Rabid Shaver and Dr. Sushi!  Sco(o)t - I'm pleased to have contributed to these and hope to continue. Those Wacky Packages from back then created lots of great memories, and the images have been stuck in my mind ever since.  Rabid Shaver - I'm glad that your wife likes Dribbles and Spits!  Hey Dr. Sushi - It's great to hear from someone from my old stomping grounds!  I'd never heard that saying about Dix and Southfield, but I have great memories of being dragged in and out of those stores as a young kid, especially around Christmas time!  I remember going into Cunningham Drug Store there and testing our old TV tubes to see if we needed replacements.  It was a different world!
« Last Edit: August 09, 2012, 10:30:07 AM by Sam Gambino »

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2012, 11:12:23 AM »
HI Sam and Welcome to the forum. I mentioned your name in the Mars Attacks thread under non-sport category.

Offline DrSushi

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2012, 11:27:41 AM »
Thanks so much for the kind words, and it's great to meet you Sco(o)t, Rabid Shaver and Dr. Sushi!  Sco(o)t - I'm pleased to have contributed to these and hope to continue. Those Wacky Packages from back then created lots of great memories, and the images have been stuck in my mind ever since.  Rabid Shaver - I'm glad that your wife likes Dribbles and Spits!  Hey Dr. Sushi - It's great to hear from someone from my old stomping grounds!  I'd never heard that saying about Dix and Southfield, but I have great memories of being dragged in and out of those stores as a young kid, especially around Christmas time!  I remember going into Cunningham Drug Store there and testing our old TV tubes to see if we needed replacements.  It was a different world!

I just looked it up, and they are planning to tear down most of the Lincoln Park Shopping Center (but not the Sears, apparently) to make way for a Walmart. I guess the mall has had low occupancy for quite a while.

Offline Duznt

• - John K -
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2012, 01:34:41 PM »

Beautiful job on the plastic Sprout bottle!

Offline Sam Gambino

• www.samgambino.com
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2012, 11:16:51 PM »
Hi BumChex-  Thanks so much!  It's great to be here.  I'll go check out your post concerning Mars Attacks.  I'm still trying to learn my way around the forum!  :)  I've been looking for a way to get a little picture by my name, and just figured it out!

Hey, Dr Sushi-  The last time I was up there, it looked kind of desolate over there which was a little sad to me.  I moved away in 1991, but have visited there fairly regularly since my parents and brothers all still live in the area.

Hey Duznt-  Thank you for the kind words!  I used Sign Painter's 1-Shot enamel on these which is really the paint I use exclusively since I started out as a pinstriper and signpainter (which I still do both).  I'm comfortable with the color choices, so I haven't ventured out and used any other kinds of paint to speak of.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2012, 11:55:38 PM by Sam Gambino »

Offline Ruffs

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2012, 10:27:58 AM »

Hi Sam Welcome & I'm sure you can get alot of great infomation here at the Forum as I have. I'm glad the artists are on the Forum as we all get a glimpse into their world. I started collecting Wackys in 1967 but dont have any originals. In 1973 I saw packs & said to a buddy I collected these years ago & started buying until 75. Somewhere around 1992 I went to a collectible store & saw a few cards on the counter & the owner said some of the cards have value so I got into the hobby again building sets of diecuts, original 1 - 16 etc. so I have been collecting since. OK thats enough from me so welcome !!!

Offline Zenergizer

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2012, 10:47:18 AM »
Welcome Sam!  And nice work on the recent drawings!

Offline Sam Gambino

• www.samgambino.com
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2012, 01:19:02 PM »
Very nice to meet you, Ruffs!  I saved quite a bit of stuff from when I was a kid, but strangely, somehow my old Wacky Packages got away from me.  I can't understand how, because I used to love those things!  I think they may have gotten lost when we moved or something beyond my control!  Anyhow, thanks for saying hello!

Hey Zenergizer - Great to see you here, and thanks so much for the kind words!

Offline Playbug

• Visit my website !
    • jeffxmusic.com
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2012, 06:46:54 PM »
Very nice to meet you, Ruffs!  I saved quite a bit of stuff from when I was a kid, but strangely, somehow my old Wacky Packages got away from me.  I can't understand how, because I used to love those things!  I think they may have gotten lost when we moved or something beyond my control!  Anyhow, thanks for saying hello!

Hey Zenergizer - Great to see you here, and thanks so much for the kind words!

Hey welcome to the forum Sam, I love that guy on the Sprout bottle. Reminds me of the original style characters that you used to see on the 70's wacky's. Great Wacky - Nice work !!
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World

Offline Sam Gambino

• www.samgambino.com
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2012, 08:49:58 PM »
Hey Playbug-  Thanks so much!  It seems like I tend to gravitate toward bug eyes, no chin and lots of stress marks on the face.  I appreciate the kind words!

Offline Crust

« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2012, 11:44:26 AM »
Welcome too the forum! Nice job on the Wackys!!! Its pretty cool for me too be able too talk to the artist!

Offline Campy

• work in progress
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2012, 12:10:27 PM »
Welcome to the Forum, Nice work on the paintings!!

Offline Sam Gambino

• www.samgambino.com
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2012, 07:01:24 AM »
Thanks, Crust and Campy!  It's great to talk to you and other "Wacky" freaks too.  I appreciate your kind words!

Offline deadpresidentsvisa

« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2012, 07:40:00 AM »
                   "Allow myself to introduce, myself"  ???                Hey  DPV  welcome           numerous artists have made art for me as you probably know
                                                 "For a fee i'll be happy to be your"..........................                                           artist
                                                                                        Dirty deeds and their done dirt cheap
« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 07:45:26 AM by deadpresidentsvisa »
"DID YOU TRY MONKEYING WITH IT" FROM *THE HOT ROCK*....ROBERT REDFORD...ZERO MOSTEL

Offline Sam Gambino

• www.samgambino.com
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2012, 07:31:25 PM »
                  "Allow myself to introduce, myself"  ???                Hey  DPV  welcome           numerous artists have made art for me as you probably know
                                                 "For a fee i'll be happy to be your"..........................                                           artist
                                                                                        Dirty deeds and their done dirt cheap

Absolutely!

Offline Smokin Joe

• "Get some for your honey"
    • Smokin' Joe's Art and Illustration
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2012, 12:18:19 AM »
Hey Sam... welcome to our Wacky world. Short Stop!!!  I haven't thought of them in decades. They were last on my Wacky collecting list of suppliers back in '74 because they charged 7 cents per pack!!!  Just down the road was Woodfield pharmacy (I grew up in Farmington Hills) who charged the normal 5 cents per pack.
Back then that was quite the difference. I'd usually buy 5 to 10 packs at at time. I was frugal and didn't see the value in duplicates. I do still have all my original stickers from then... (and as many dplicates as my quarters will buy these days).

Michigan seems to be a mecca of Wacky lore... and growing as the birth place of Wacky artists.

Smokin' Joe
Smokin' Joe

Offline Sam Gambino

• www.samgambino.com
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2012, 05:09:01 PM »
Hey Smokin' Joe!  It's great to meet you!  Excellent work you do.  I didn't know that you were from Michigan too.  What a great place that was to grow up.  I live down south by the Gulf now, but there was nothing like those days in the '70's growing up in the Detroit area.  Wacky's were a major part of my childhood.  I can look at a jar of Ovaltine, and to this day, I think "Evil Time!" 

Offline Sam Gambino

• www.samgambino.com
Re: Sam Gambino
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2012, 11:00:51 PM »
Just wanted to post my Necko piece from the 2012 Halloween Postcard series for documentation purposes here.  Thanks for looking!

« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 11:05:37 PM by Sam Gambino »

Offline DrSushi

« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2012, 07:03:15 AM »
Just wanted to post my Necko piece from the 2012 Halloween Postcard series for documentation purposes here.  Thanks for looking!

Nice work, love the vampire!

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2012, 08:23:28 AM »

It's in my closet waiting to get framed and matted.

Offline deadpresidentsvisa

« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2012, 08:30:39 AM »
GET IT MATTED FIRST!!!!
"DID YOU TRY MONKEYING WITH IT" FROM *THE HOT ROCK*....ROBERT REDFORD...ZERO MOSTEL

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2012, 08:45:26 AM »

I already falsely implicated it in a murder with planted evidence so you can skip getting it framed.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2012, 08:49:19 AM by sco(o)t »
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline ratchet007

« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2012, 12:21:29 PM »

Love the two fang puncture marks in the wrapper. Nice touch!

Offline Sam Gambino

• www.samgambino.com
« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2012, 11:45:55 PM »
Thanks so much for the kind words, everyone!  BumChex - You own the actual piece?  I saw it on ebay not long ago.  I'm glad it has a good home!  Maybe post a pic of the old boy when he's matted?  :)

Offline MadMike

« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2012, 11:54:28 PM »
Those are some great pieces of art Sam.  Keep up the great work and hope you continue to treat us to some great art on future series.

Offline Sam Gambino

• www.samgambino.com
« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2012, 07:08:54 AM »
Hey MadMike-  I really appreciate the kind words!  I'm glad to do as many paintings as Topps will have me to do.  I have a few more in series 10...  Thanks again!

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #30 on: December 12, 2012, 07:17:17 AM »
Thanks so much for the kind words, everyone!  BumChex - You own the actual piece?  I saw it on ebay not long ago.  I'm glad it has a good home!  Maybe post a pic of the old boy when he's matted?  :)
Yes sir! It might be a little while before it's framed.

Offline Sam Gambino

• www.samgambino.com
« Reply #31 on: December 12, 2012, 08:49:16 AM »
Thanks, BumChex!

Offline Playbug

• Visit my website !
    • jeffxmusic.com
« Reply #32 on: December 17, 2012, 08:33:00 AM »

Love this one, it's got that classic Wacky feel to it. Great work !
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World

Offline Sam Gambino

• www.samgambino.com
« Reply #33 on: December 17, 2012, 09:54:30 PM »
Hey Playbug-  Thanks so much!  I appreciate the kind words.  With most of my artwork, I do try to achieve a vintage look and feel, so your comment says that I'm approaching what I mentally set out to do.   :)

Offline dth1971

« Reply #34 on: January 31, 2013, 06:43:48 PM »
I think Necko never made the 2012 Wacky Halloween Postcard cut.

And Sam: Did you do any designs for the upcoming Wacky Packages ANS10?

anything