Author Topic: Where do the 1973/4 Posters fit into the timeline?  (Read 25502 times)

Offline Paul_Maul

Where do the 1973/4 Posters fit into the timeline?
« on: July 09, 2012, 02:01:17 PM »
Does anyone remember when the yellow and blue poster packs were on sale relative to surrounding series? I'm curious, because although the yellow wrapper is dated 1973, the set contains titles up to the 8th series. Were the yellow poster packs actually released in 1973 (which would mean prior to the 6th series)? How about the blue packs?

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
Re: Where do the 1973/4 Posters fit into the timeline?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2012, 04:31:18 PM »
my memory of the yellow packs, which were the only ones I ever saw or bought, is somewhere in late spring/early summer '74, between buying series 7 and series 8
it was a family trip to Pennsylvania, possibly Memorial weekend. My brothers and I had only been hardcore into wackys for a short time, a few series, starting with series 5 in late '73. At this point we were always on the prowl for wackys, looking for new series. And when we saw these at the store, we were floored. My parents groaned, but they bought some anyway.
One thing I did as soon as I got back home was to put the sticker onto the poster, to have the images side-by-side and see the differences.
I had 4 posters, 3 of which I put stickers onto - Jail-O (used a wonder bread sticker), Blast Blew Ribbon and Burpsi. The 4th was Toadal, which I never did find a sticker for...
My guess is that Norm was off painting these during the series 5-7 timeframe which cut into his production and is one of the reasons there are fewer Norm pieces through those sets.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2012, 07:02:28 AM »
Good info Patrick, thanks!

Offline ToadallyDude

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2012, 04:52:39 PM »
Yellow-pack posters came out in the summer of '74 in California, and the blue ones followed right behind that the same summer (from memory).  That summer, series 7, 8 and 9, and the tatoos were everywhere.  But we had an ice-cream truck that would constantly put Wackys out that were out of sequence.  Whatever they had available back at the warehouse.  So, we were always confused & never even got to see series 3 or 4.  The kids who bought the posters didn't know which of them to keep in the set since there were 3 sets of 2 different titles with matching numbers.

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2012, 06:00:08 PM »
Yellow-pack posters came out in the summer of '74 in California, and the blue ones followed right behind that the same summer (from memory).  That summer, series 7, 8 and 9, and the tatoos were everywhere.  But we had an ice-cream truck that would constantly put Wackys out that were out of sequence.  Whatever they had available back at the warehouse.  So, we were always confused & never even got to see series 3 or 4.  The kids who bought the posters didn't know which of them to keep in the set since there were 3 sets of 2 different titles with matching numbers.
Scott??
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2012, 07:34:15 PM »
This was one of the more hotly debated Wacky issues back in the early '90s amongst the Prodigy congregating Wacky collectors. But I think as the dust settled, the consensus was that the yellow pack posters were released in 1973 and came in the blue box with Weakies on it. The yellow packs contained gum and, of course, contained the three cereal titles that were later ceased and replaced. Evidence suggests that the first round of blue wrappers were released in 1974 and also came in the blue Weakies box and also contained the three cereal titles. Several people opening blue packs from a case find around 1991 swear they pulled cereal posters and that the posters bore the same copyright as the yellow pack posters. The 2nd round of blue wrappers came in the blue box with no titles shown and contained the replacement titles. This seems to correspond with the series 6 and 7 releases. Many claim the yellow wrapper posters did not appear in the midwest. I don't know if that's true, but the drugstore we used to buy Wackies at in Linton, Indiana never did sell any of the posters. The first I knew of them was Easter 1975 when one of my cousins visiting from Pennsylvania had 6 or so posters. I was only able to get him to trade one of them. As mentioned earlier, few if any stores actually sold Wackies in the order they were released making it hard to track exact timelines.
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2012, 06:44:48 AM »
I believe everything about the blue poster packs being found with the original run of posters in them. Scott Broberg
reported that with certainty also. What I can't understand is how the yellow packs could possibly have been released in
1973 when they contain tons of 7th and 8th series titles. Isn't it more likely that the wrappers were produced then, but
that the series was probably not released until well into 1974 (as everyone in this thread seems to recall)?

Offline sco(o)t

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2012, 09:02:09 AM »
I believe everything about the blue poster packs being found with the original run of posters in them. Scott Broberg
reported that with certainty also. What I can't understand is how the yellow packs could possibly have been released in
1973 when they contain tons of 7th and 8th series titles. Isn't it more likely that the wrappers were produced then, but
that the series was probably not released until well into 1974 (as everyone in this thread seems to recall)?

Another alternative is that the Wacky releases were coming out so fast and furiously at this time, with several series  in various stages of the over-all process (some in planning, some in art execution, some in sticker production, etc.) that those particular titles were already around at Topps and the poster release "fast tracked" those titles to the public beating out their sticker counterpart. Its so hard to base release dates on when these items actually hit one store versus another at that time. I guess we mainly rely on personal accounts of when people remember first seeing them in any store. There are those who swear yellow packs were available in late '73.  I, however, cannot.   

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2012, 03:54:38 PM »
As mentioned earlier, few if any stores actually sold Wackies in the order they were released making it hard to track exact timelines.
I guess I'm an exception then. I never encountered out of order wackys. there may have been 5th/6th or 6th/7th at the same time on the shelves, but I never saw out of sequence.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2012, 06:51:43 PM »
I guess I'm an exception then. I never encountered out of order wackys. there may have been 5th/6th or 6th/7th at the same time on the shelves, but I never saw out of sequence.

I never really looked at them that closely. I was only 8 in 1973 but I remember buying packs from series 7 and them going back and pulling series 5. I noticed different color packs but never thought much of it. Everything was colorful back then. I never collected to get a series. I never really knew there was a certain series. I would just buy and trade doubles for ones I didn't have. I then ended up sticking them to my dresser. That's what an 8 year old does. At the time I also remember collecting the cloth's, ugly stickers, & you'll die laughing cards. I loved the monsters. I have a faint recollection of the tattoos. I remember buying tattoos but I can't remember if they were Wacky. There was so much novelty stuff growing up I can't piece it all together.
It's those innocent times that got me into the hobby about 8 years ago. I loved the nastalgia.

Offline sco(o)t

« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2012, 07:13:12 PM »

You were fortunate. The drug store we used to buy Wackys at was chaotic. At one point they had series 7 and 9 on the shelves at the same time. Then came series 10, then series 8 about two months later. Argh! I was about 14 or 15 at this time so was aware we were missing out on items. Very frustrating. To make it worse, we lived about 20 miles from this drug store in Linton. The only grocery/drug store in our little town of 2000 did not carry them. We only went to Linton about once or twice a month so we knew we had so save up and buy as many packs as possible (usually about 15 or so) on the rare trips there. This made trading with friends even more crucial to being able to collect a full series.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2012, 08:37:13 PM »
I never collected to get a series. I never really knew there was a certain series. 

That explains why you enjoy collecting sketches!

Offline bandaches

« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2012, 10:09:22 PM »
Why couldnt the posters come before 7th series?  Maybe the posters were the first time those images saw daylight, we need to not assume there is a tight correlation between image creation and sticker series.  Couldnt norm have painted many of these in 1972 and topps just spread them out?
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2012, 10:59:57 PM »
That explains why you enjoy collecting sketches!

I'm not real sure were you're going here but, for me, the sketches are little pieces of Wacky art. I know they were hand drawn and that make them extra special to me. I do love the sketches as a way for the artists to interpret a different perspective on the characters that are in the original art. I'm not sure how you gathered what I said to think that is a reason I collect sketches though. Please explain.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 11:02:02 PM by BumChex »

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2012, 06:22:42 AM »
I'm not real sure were you're going here but, for me, the sketches are little pieces of Wacky art. I know they were hand drawn and that make them extra special to me. I do love the sketches as a way for the artists to interpret a different perspective on the characters that are in the original art. I'm not sure how you gathered what I said to think that is a reason I collect sketches though. Please explain.

I just meant that one of the reasons I dislike the idea of collecting sketches is that it is too open-ended. I like the idea of completing a series or working from a checklist. If you don't care about completing or checklists, collecting sketches would be more palatable.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2012, 08:13:02 PM »
I just meant that one of the reasons I dislike the idea of collecting sketches is that it is too open-ended. I like the idea of completing a series or working from a checklist. If you don't care about completing or checklists, collecting sketches would be more palatable.

You have to realize I was only 8 years old when Wackys came out. I didn't pay attention to series and such I just loved the stickers. I have now grown up.

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2012, 08:16:45 PM »
You have to realize I was only 8 years old when Wackys came out. I didn't pay attention to series and such I just loved the stickers. I have now grown up.
Ah, you just have a lot more nickels, is all.   :P

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2012, 05:03:26 AM »

I was 6 years old in 1973 and I was every bit as anal about collecting as I am now.

Offline Soremel

« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2012, 07:00:30 PM »
I was 6 years old in 1973 and I was every bit as anal about collecting as I am now.

Are you sure we weren't separated at birth?!  ;D

Offline DrSushi

« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2012, 08:30:39 PM »
If there is a collecting gene, I can't imagine your mother breaking up the set.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2012, 04:06:47 AM »

Maybe we were triplets :)  I kept my Wackys sorted by series, in checklist order, and actively sought trades to fill in holes in my sets.  Didn't even stick them unless they were dubs.

Offline sco(o)t

« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2012, 07:18:38 AM »
Maybe we were triplets :)  I kept my Wackys sorted by series, in checklist order, and actively sought trades to fill in holes in my sets.  Didn't even stick them unless they were dubs.

Same here except here were my three collecting blunders as a teen...

1) I kept each series "deck" bound with a rubber band. If they even had 9 card binder pages or plastic deck boxes back then, I certainly didn't know about them.

2) The bigger blunder, I actually had one of the mail-in posters advertised on the wrappers and cut it up to fill holes in my card collection... D'oh!

3) When I was packing up for college and trying to lighten my load as much as possible, I got rid of any extra Wacky stickers I had (not many admittedly) but didn't realize they would be worth something, at least in trade, some day.

Ah, the innocense (or ignorance) of youth.

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2012, 09:02:13 AM »
Same here except here were my three collecting blunders as a teen...

1) I kept each series "deck" bound with a rubber band. If they even had 9 card binder pages or plastic deck boxes back then, I certainly didn't know about them.

2) The bigger blunder, I actually had one of the mail-in posters advertised on the wrappers and cut it up to fill holes in my card collection... D'oh!

3) When I was packing up for college and trying to lighten my load as much as possible, I got rid of any extra Wacky stickers I had (not many admittedly) but didn't realize they would be worth something, at least in trade, some day.

Ah, the innocense (or ignorance) of youth.

Don't feel to bad. I ran most of my original wackys through a typewriter so I could add my own gags!

Offline sco(o)t

« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2012, 10:11:48 AM »
Don't feel to bad. I ran most of my original wackys through a typewriter so I could add my own gags!

You can't stifle creativity  :great:

Offline Playbug

• Visit my website !
    • jeffxmusic.com
« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2012, 11:43:41 AM »
I did not know about the 9 page sleeves, so I stuck mine into a regular paper binder - in order of course. I figured this way I would not have to keep putting them back into the checklist order. Hey, at least I didn't write my name or initials on them. Geeeze.

Keep on Rockin' in the Free World

Offline ToadallyDude

« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2012, 06:01:14 PM »
Keen eye, Bandaches.  Haven't really thought about any of this stuff for years, but I had a free moment & decided to check if anything new was going on in Wacky World, then saw the bit about "Final Offer" and Adelman.  I haven't seen the episode yet, but interesting info.  Of course, I had to check in on the "poster" posts, as I always had a connection to those.  And it's interesting that they changed the art on the tattoos at the same time as pulling the cereal titles so you couldn't read the logos, but didn't pull them all together.

So, here's a poster-related question... has anyone ever found new evidence of the TOADAL/8thSeries connection?  These were always holy grails for me...
 - 8th Proof Sheet w/Toadal on it in place of Bone Ami?
 - Original art (or rough) of the sticker-version of Toadal?
 - Cease and decist letter directly referring to Toadal?

Offline bandaches

« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2012, 09:19:40 PM »
Keen eye, Bandaches.  Haven't really thought about any of this stuff for years, but I had a free moment & decided to check if anything new was going on in Wacky World, then saw the bit about "Final Offer" and Adelman.  I haven't seen the episode yet, but interesting info.  Of course, I had to check in on the "poster" posts, as I always had a connection to those.  And it's interesting that they changed the art on the tattoos at the same time as pulling the cereal titles so you couldn't read the logos, but didn't pull them all together.

So, here's a poster-related question... has anyone ever found new evidence of the TOADAL/8thSeries connection?  These were always holy grails for me...
 - 8th Proof Sheet w/Toadal on it in place of Bone Ami?
 - Original art (or rough) of the sticker-version of Toadal?
 - Cease and decist letter directly referring to Toadal?
Love that you are back dude!

OF all of the Topps Vault stuff, I don't think anything has come out that really addresses the Toadal questions.  Kinda curious as all sorts of proof sheets with notes and markings indicating titles to be removed and such had come out especially for first series.  Hey gang, Did I miss any toppsvault auctions that would speak to the Toadal questions?  Fanatical is pretty good with this stuff so hopefully he will chime in.

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2012, 09:44:36 AM »

I'm the same way as you, where I have the mentality that I want to collect everything in a certain series.  Even when I was a kid I was using the checklists until I had them complete.  Brad is a little different with his collecting mentality.  I don't think it's a right or wrong thing, just different. 

Even with sketch cards I set parameters such as getting "one per artist", so I don't have any dupes for any series, where some collectors are content just buying whatever ones they like.  My brain doesn't work that way for whatever reason.  That's why I never collected art (besides the cost), because I know there's no way to collect them all.     
Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2012, 03:34:45 PM »
OF all of the Topps Vault stuff, I don't think anything has come out that really addresses the Toadal questions.  Kinda curious as all sorts of proof sheets with notes and markings indicating titles to be removed and such had come out especially for first series.  Hey gang, Did I miss any toppsvault auctions that would speak to the Toadal questions?  Fanatical is pretty good with this stuff so hopefully he will chime in.
nope, you didn't miss any auctions. it's like you say - nothing has surfaced yet that shows the definitive C&D. But, there is great surrounding evidence for it, as it had a huge impact.
I'm at the point now that I believe it could have been the posters which caused the General Mills C&D.
General Mills was fine with Wackys through series 6, as seen by the continued use of Weakies on the box art into that run. Then at some point in the endless series 6 to 7 production glut, Topps got the C&D, forcing the change to the box art for those two series.
It's likely the first run posters came out between series 6 & 7, and with their nice big pictures of Cheapios, etc., they drew the C&D from General Mills. (I'd love to see this letter). This then forced changes to box art, the poster run, the mail-in poster and tattoos all in late spring '74. This would also have been early enough to pull Toadal from series 8, before card art was ever painted - in which case there wouldn't be on any proof sheets with it either. And early enough to create new box art for series 8 as well.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2012, 07:47:20 PM by Fanatical_and_Sickly »

Offline bandaches

« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2012, 10:09:42 PM »
nope, you didn't miss any auctions. it's like you say - nothing has surfaced yet that shows the definitive C&D. But, there is great surrounding evidence for it, as it had a huge impact.
I'm at the point now that I believe it could have been the posters which caused the General Mills C&D.
General Mills was fine with Wackys through series 6, as seen by the continued use of Weakies on the box art into that run. Then at some point in the endless series 6 to 7 production glut, Topps got the C&D, forcing the change to the box art for those two series.
It's likely the first run posters came out between series 6 & 7, and with their nice big pictures of Cheapios, etc., they drew the C&D from General Mills. (I'd love to see this letter). This then forced changes to box art, the poster run, the mail-in poster and tattoos all in late spring '74. This would also have been early enough to pull Toadal from series 8, before card art was ever painted - in which case there wouldn't be on any proof sheets with it either. And early enough to create new box art for series 8 as well.

Thanks for this synopsis, this all makes perfect sense and unfortunately suggests we may never know for sure about Toadal and series 8.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #30 on: September 07, 2012, 11:17:22 PM »
Brad is a little different with his collecting mentality.  
What? What? Every collector collects for their own reasons. No collectors motives are wrong. It's a test you can't fail..LOL it's nice to know some collectors motives to know if you have a chance at some auctions. I have heard back on ANS9 sketch auctions and I don't have any remorse. If I don't end up with one I won't care. I still have my complete set of ANS9 silvers just sitting on my desk and haven't done a thing with them. I'm getting to the point of breaking with all the new stuff. It's a tough battle with me because it's so cool to have so many new stuff coming out. I love it because it gives stuff for everyone to discuss but for some reason it's now getting overwhelming to me. I can't explain it. I'm starting to feel I can't catch up so now I have this 'I don't give a crap' attitude.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2012, 11:21:00 PM by BumChex »

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #31 on: September 08, 2012, 04:34:24 AM »
I love it because it gives stuff for everyone to discuss but for some reason it's now getting overwhelming to me. I can't explain it. I'm starting to feel I can't catch up so now I have this 'I don't give a crap' attitude.

That kind of summarizes how I've felt since 2005. It's nice that wackys have made a comeback, but I'm more excited about my PSA 8 Windhex than everything that's come out since 2004.  I have the urge to just throw all the new stuff in a dumpster sometimes. Not that there aren't some artistic gems in this era, because there are. Just in terms of collectability, it all starts to seem like junk.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2012, 04:36:27 AM by Paul_Maul »

Offline Kook

« Reply #32 on: September 08, 2012, 12:14:33 PM »
What? What? Every collector collects for their own reasons. No collectors motives are wrong. It's a test you can't fail..LOL it's nice to know some collectors motives to know if you have a chance at some auctions. I have heard back on ANS9 sketch auctions and I don't have any remorse. If I don't end up with one I won't care. I still have my complete set of ANS9 silvers just sitting on my desk and haven't done a thing with them. I'm getting to the point of breaking with all the new stuff. It's a tough battle with me because it's so cool to have so many new stuff coming out. I love it because it gives stuff for everyone to discuss but for some reason it's now getting overwhelming to me. I can't explain it. I'm starting to feel I can't catch up so now I have this 'I don't give a crap' attitude.

I agree. I know why I collect the wackys from the 70s. The new stuff is fun for a while, but after a while, it's more of an exercise in "completism" & momentum for me rather than that experience of being 8 years old again and pulling a choke wagon or a bandache. It's been pretty slim pickens lately with original series stuff, so the new wackys do keep the interest up in the hobby. Time will tell since there are no right or wrong answers about collecting - what you collect, how you collect, when you start or stop...  or start again...

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #33 on: September 08, 2012, 12:51:20 PM »
I even have 3-4 pieces of art that I haven't framed yet. I'm starting to feel like I'm a hoarder...HaHa

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #34 on: September 08, 2012, 03:16:49 PM »

I agree with you and I did make the point that "different" doesn't mean better or worse.  We're all different in some way when it comes to collecting.

The feeling your having is the frequent repetition of series without any time to catch up and breath.  It is fun, but it hurts the bank account, and you can get bogged down trying to keep up with it all.  I've had a blast collecting the new stuff, but I could use a breather too.  If someone said in 2004 that 8 years later we would be feeling bogged down with too many Wacky series we would think they were crazy!

Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)