Author Topic: A WP Unopened Pack Reference Library  (Read 176020 times)

Offline Paul_Maul

A WP Unopened Pack Reference Library
« on: July 06, 2012, 06:28:36 PM »
I haven't added anything of note to my collection lately, and I'm getting a little bored, so I thought it would be fun to gradually create a scan library of my pack collection. I plan to build it slowly, and maybe throw in a few interesting anecdotes about how some of the packs were acquired, as well as some facts about which packs exist. Anyone who's interested is welcome to comment or ask questions.

So without further ado:

Pack #1: 1967 Die Cuts

I obtained this pack several years ago from Eric Roberts. He had been opening a lot of packs to beef up his PSA registry set, and decided to take pity on us pack collectors by putting a few on ebay ;D The first pack chronologically and definitely still one of the coolest.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2012, 08:08:53 PM by Paul_Maul »

Offline Paul_Maul

Re: A WP Unopened Pack Reference Library
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2012, 07:44:30 PM »
Pack #2: 1969 5-cent Wacky Ads

I scored this pack from a long-time advanced non-sports card collector who had purchased 7 or 8 of them at a card store in the 1980's. He finally sold all he had, but then his wife found another one while cleaning one of his closets. He had that one for sale at the last Allentown show.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2012, 07:46:27 PM by Paul_Maul »

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2012, 09:00:12 PM »
Pack #2: 1969 5-cent Wacky Ads

(Image removed from quote.)

(Image removed from quote.)

I scored this pack from a long-time advanced non-sports card collector who had purchased 7 or 8 of them at a card store in the 1980's. He finally sold all he had, but then his wife found another one while cleaning one of his closets. He had that one for sale at the last Allentown show.

So you bought this at the last Allentown show?  Very cool!  I don't recall seeing this listed in the "scores from the show".
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2012, 09:19:25 PM »
I haven't seen too many of these myself, so I'm already jazzed to enjoy what you're sharing.  Very cool stuff.   
Jason Liebig - A swell TV host (currently on History Channel) who used to oversee Marvel Comics' X-Men - now creator and curator of WishbookWeb.com and CollectingCandy.com, a celebration of candy packaging, marketing and the people behind it all

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2012, 04:23:21 AM »
So you bought this at the last Allentown show?  Very cool!  I don't recall seeing this listed in the "scores from the show".

No, the same collector from whom I got mine two years ago also had one for sale at the last Allentown show. I don't believe it sold there.

Also, I still don't have a 10-cent ad pack, so that one will be skipped. If anyone has a nice one for sale, do let me know!
« Last Edit: July 07, 2012, 07:46:50 AM by Paul_Maul »

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2012, 04:34:29 AM »
Pack #3: 1973 Cloth Series Pack

I obtained this pack from Phil Carpenter very shortly after I started collecting unopened packs in 2001. I'm glad I did because it sure seems to have become harder to find and more expensive over the last decade.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2012, 04:36:20 AM by Paul_Maul »

Offline bandaches

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2012, 09:14:26 AM »
No, the same collector from whom I got mine two years ago also had one for sale at the last Allentown show. I don't believe it sold there.

Also, I still don't have a 10-cent ad pack, so that one will be skipped. If anyone has a nice one for sale, do let me know!
What was the asking price for his last 5 cent pack?
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline bandaches

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2012, 09:15:20 AM »

(Image removed from quote.)  (Image removed from quote.)

I obtained this pack from Phil Carpenter very shortly after I started collecting unopened packs in 2001. I'm glad I did because it sure seems to have become harder to find and more expensive over the last decade.
I think it is underrated how rare these are.  Finding nice wrapper is tough enough!

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2012, 03:03:08 PM »
What was the asking price for his last 5 cent pack?

Not 100% sure, but I'd guess around $1200, which isn't really that bad a price. I don't think the Philly Show is really the right venue for such a sale, though.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2012, 04:23:55 PM »
Pack #4: 1973 1st Series 21-fold pack

I searched for this pack for over 7 years. I almost won one on ebay, but got out-sniped. I knew Greg had it, so when he decided to sell his pack collection a few years ago, I bought it primarily for this pack. As luck would have it his collection helped me in many other ways too.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2012, 04:26:09 PM by Paul_Maul »

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2012, 04:54:10 PM »

Man, does that wrapper bring back memories! Cloth stickers are my favorite! A while back (1987?) Roxanne Toser found a stash of complete boxes and she offered to sell them to me for $50 each. I passed on them thinking that it seemed pricey - one of the many of my collector regrets!

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2012, 05:48:49 PM »
Man, does that wrapper bring back memories! Cloth stickers are my favorite! A while back (1987?) Roxanne Toser found a stash of complete boxes and she offered to sell them to me for $50 each. I passed on them thinking that it seemed pricey - one of the many of my collector regrets!

$50 per pack, or per box???? The interesting thing about cloth packs is the question of whether they really contain a cloth checklist. We saw that full box that Kirk Daniel had that had 2nd series checklists. That should be a big part of valuation for these, yet there's no way to tell unless the checklist side happens to be showing.

Offline Gurgle

• recommends zircon-encrusted tweezers
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2012, 06:04:54 PM »

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2012, 06:51:33 PM »
$50 per pack, or per box???? The interesting thing about cloth packs is the question of whether they really contain a cloth checklist. We saw that full box that Kirk Daniel had that had 2nd series checklists. That should be a big part of valuation for these, yet there's no way to tell unless the checklist side happens to be showing.

$50 bucks per box!!! Yep, the most interesting thing is that she broke open some of the boxes because she couldn't find many buyers so I bought a complete puzzle from her. I remember her comment about one of the pieces being really tough to find (only about 1 per box). It was a corner piece but I don't recall exactly which one.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2012, 06:54:44 PM by koduck »

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2012, 07:23:36 PM »
The images aren't loading for me. Is it just me?

I'm hosting them from postimage.org, the service has always seemed fine but today it has been a bit spotty, not sure why.

Offline Ruffs

« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2012, 07:24:43 PM »
The images aren't loading for me. Is it just me?
I'm not seeing the images either on my tablet.

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2012, 07:44:38 PM »
I'm hosting them from postimage.org, the service has always seemed fine but today it has been a bit spotty, not sure why.

I tried to use the "Add image to post" feature early this evening and it looks like their server or at least their service is down.  :c002:
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline Gurgle

• recommends zircon-encrusted tweezers
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2012, 07:57:16 PM »

Whatever it was, I can see them now!

Offline Ruffs

« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2012, 08:03:34 PM »
Whatever it was, I can see them now!
Me too , I switched over to my computer. I will go back & check the tablet.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2012, 08:22:00 AM »
Pack #5: 1973 1st Series 85-fold pack

1st series packs have become really difficult to find. I thought I had one of these for 7 years, but it turned out to be re-sealed. I was able to obtain this really nice legitimate one only through the extreme generosity of a very kind fellow collector.

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2012, 09:50:11 AM »
Not 100% sure, but I'd guess around $1200, which isn't really that bad a price. I don't think the Philly Show is really the right venue for such a sale, though.
Dave, if this was the pack I pointed out to you at the show (erringly thinking you still needed a 5c), then that's the exact number I recall, also.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2012, 09:53:50 AM »
Dave, if this was the pack I pointed out to you at the show (erringly thinking you still needed a 5c), then that's the exact number I recall, also.

Yes, I think with each pack he sold, he kept increasing his asking price for the remaining ones. So I got mine considerably cheaper than this.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2012, 11:14:21 AM »
Pack #6: 1973 2nd Series 21-fold pack

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2012, 11:19:38 AM »

I don't think I have ever seen a cloth pack. I haven't been searching specifically for one but I think this is the first one I've seen. Thanks for sharing.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2012, 01:56:45 PM »
Pack #7: 1973 2nd Series 21-fold pack with ludlow back showing

This pack originates from a find by Greg Grant around 12 years ago. Pretty cool that not only did a stash of lud packs survive unopened, but the backs were actually showing to prove it! I think there are around 30 of these floating about in the hobby.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2012, 01:58:22 PM by Paul_Maul »

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2012, 06:43:47 PM »
Pack #8: 1973 2nd Series 85-fold pack

Another pack that I obtained to replace one that turned out to be a re-seal. This one I got in trade from the great George Wright, who had opened 47 of the 48 packs from a full box back in the day, but saved this one to trade to me! Thanks, George.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2012, 10:28:28 AM »
Pack #9: 1973 3rd Series red 21-fold pack

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2012, 01:31:53 PM »
Pack #10: 1973 3rd Series red 85-fold pack

Offline Joe G.

« Reply #28 on: July 09, 2012, 02:16:21 PM »
Dave, just curious how many packs in total encompass the OS run?

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #29 on: July 09, 2012, 02:21:09 PM »
Dave, just curious how many packs in total encompass the OS run?

It's difficult to answer that question for sure, because it's impossible to be certain whether certain packs (that I've never found) exist or not. There are 61 different series 1-16 packs that I'm sure exist. There are 4 or 5 others that I think don't exist with varying levels of certainty. I plan on posting about all of these issues when I get to those series, if people don't get bored first ;D

By the way, I'm defining a "pack" as a distinct combination of series and wrapper here.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2012, 02:24:17 PM by Paul_Maul »

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #30 on: July 10, 2012, 07:07:37 AM »
Pack #11: 1973 3rd Series yellow 21-fold pack

This pack is from that cool find from around a year ago that included 43 others just like it. One of my favorite unopened pack finds because of the amazing freshness and perfect condition of the packs.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 07:11:09 AM by Paul_Maul »

Offline bandaches

« Reply #31 on: July 10, 2012, 10:25:55 AM »
Pack #11: 1973 3rd Series yellow 21-fold pack

This pack is from that cool find from around a year ago that included 43 others just like it. One of my favorite unopened pack finds because of the amazing freshness and perfect condition of the packs. (Image removed from quote.)
The "vending machine" find...which of course was never a vending machine find, only miscommunication but nonetheless, nice packs were involved.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #32 on: July 10, 2012, 10:29:43 AM »
The "vending machine" find...which of course was never a vending machine find, only miscommunication but nonetheless, nice packs were involved.

A very accurate and succinct summary!

Offline NEZHEAD42

« Reply #33 on: July 10, 2012, 12:55:04 PM »
Paul Maul,
    Man, I am loving this post. I don't collect unopened packs and I don't get to go to shows. This is the first time I have most of these in unopened pack form. This is so cool! It's also a great Wacky history lesson. I hope when you get to the end that you include info on fakes and reseals. I've read over the last few years your discussions on them and would love to see examples.

Question: Why are the different folds called 21 & 85? There are obviously not 21 nor 85 different folds on the wrappers.

Thanks and keep 'em coming!
"What's the point of being grown up, if you can't act childish?" - Doctor Who

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #34 on: July 10, 2012, 03:02:42 PM »

Question: Why are the different folds called 21 & 85? There are obviously not 21 nor 85 different folds on the wrappers.

Thanks for the positive feedback! The "21" and "85" come from the Topps wrapper codes. For example, the two different 1st series packs would have wrapper codes:

0-422-21-01-3
0-422-85-01-3

The only difference is in that middle field. All the ones wrapped one way have the 21, all the ones wrapped the other way have the 85!

anything