Author Topic: Garbage Can-dy box with wackys inside...Jason??  (Read 2440 times)

Offline Paul_Maul

Garbage Can-dy box with wackys inside...Jason??
« on: July 05, 2012, 11:41:54 AM »
Not sure what this really is or how it came, but looks like something that might pique Jason's interest....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TOPPS-WACKY-PACKAGES-16TH-SERIES-UNOPENED-PACK-1976-TOUGH-SERIES-/251101265307?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a76cd3d9b

Offline Paul_Maul

Re: Garbage Can-dy box with wackys inside...Jason??
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2012, 11:57:27 AM »
From his auction for the box of Garbage Can-Dy:

"Up for bids is an almost full box of original Garbage Can-dy from Topps. there are 19 of the original candy garbage can containers. There is some minor stain to the bottom of the box caused by a Topps lollipop that had melted and oozed (see photos #4, 5 and 6). Some candy is clean for its age and others have small spotted mottling on surface (see photo #3). I believe this box to possibly have been a salesman promo due to the fact that there were other new Topps candy items inside as well a a rare 16th series unopened pack of Wacky Packages. That series featured a parody of this very box of candy on its puzzle cards."

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2012, 07:50:52 PM »
Interesting....if a bit weird.   The full box sold quick, and I'm not surprised.

In the last two or three years a small group of Garbage Pail kids collectors migrated to Garbage Candy, and then things like Mr Bones and the other plastic candy containers of the 70's and 80's.    These things routinely sold for $2-$3 each at most, and in my realm of collecting (vintage candy pieces), they're about as common as can be....but they've ramped up in selling price fantastically since 2009 or so.   I find it odd and ridiculous, but you can never tell what's going to capture people's imagination.
Jason Liebig - A swell TV host (currently on History Channel) who used to oversee Marvel Comics' X-Men - now creator and curator of WishbookWeb.com and CollectingCandy.com, a celebration of candy packaging, marketing and the people behind it all

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2012, 06:20:16 AM »
I remember as a kid saving the various containers to store whatever small stuff I might need them for - the garbage cans, coffins, fire hydrants, etc.  Surprising to hear they're in high demand.  I'd be much more interested in counter/display boxes than the plastic containers themselves.  A few years ago at a local Party City store I came across something in a very similar concept - miniature garbage dumpsters containing candy.  I picked up a couple but never took off the shrinkwrap to see what the candy looks like.

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2012, 03:35:44 PM »
I have a full set of the Empire Strikes Back candy heads + display box, but even now, 30 years later, they are of little value.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2012, 04:06:01 PM by Fanatical_and_Sickly »

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2012, 03:58:09 PM »
I have a full set of the Empire Strikes Back candy heads + display box, but even now, 30 years later, they are little value.

Oooh, I remember those - they were cool!

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2012, 06:30:45 PM »
I have a full set of the Empire Strikes Back candy heads + display box, but even now, 30 years later, they are of little value.

Yeah...I love the fact that you can pick up full boxes of the Star Wars heads for fairly little.  It's an inexpensive nostalgia trip.   Someone must have socked away a case or two at some point, to provide for the abundance of supply.

In spite of the "low value", I'm still a fan of them.
Jason Liebig - A swell TV host (currently on History Channel) who used to oversee Marvel Comics' X-Men - now creator and curator of WishbookWeb.com and CollectingCandy.com, a celebration of candy packaging, marketing and the people behind it all

anything