Author Topic: Wacky Postcards Series 8  (Read 32515 times)

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
Re: Wacky Postcards Series 8
« Reply #105 on: March 22, 2012, 12:10:27 PM »
If you're referring to me, I said they have pushed me one step further to leaving. When series 9 comes out should I be excited or should I be a little gun shy? If you look forward to going to an expensive restaurant and have a bad experience more than once do you go back? I don't.......

Being gun shy understandable.  I don't look to the sketches as much as you do.  I've kept up with the thread, and while I still think some of what I'm reading is over-the-top, there are a lot of reasonable points being made.  

It's not going to be a simple fix, as there's always going to be the least-best sketch artist in a series.  And it's not math.  As Neil pointed out, doing the sketches for him is an organic process.  You also can't have every sketch come under a strict approval process (at least I don't think you can).  It would seem that the artists will need to get a sense of what is required, broadly.  Not every sketch needs to be a finished piece, but if it's loose piece after loose piece, that's not enough.

I'd also suspect that what constitutes a "color sketch" could be reviewed... Again based on what I've read here.  Does a blob of one color filling in a white space constitute a color sketch?  Should it?

I think this is tough because sketching and art is so damned individualistic.  But again, I appreciate the points that have been made.  I definitely have come around to considering this issue in a way I hadn't before.   I hope that Topps can find a way to address everyone's concerns.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 12:12:02 PM by JasonLiebig »
Jason Liebig - A swell TV host (currently on History Channel) who used to oversee Marvel Comics' X-Men - now creator and curator of WishbookWeb.com and CollectingCandy.com, a celebration of candy packaging, marketing and the people behind it all

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #106 on: March 22, 2012, 12:19:23 PM »
check out these sketches that people use for drawsomething. They're amazing.
http://web.stagram.com/n/fobwashed/
« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 12:29:07 PM by BumChex »

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #108 on: March 22, 2012, 01:23:02 PM »

Offline RedBeans

« Reply #109 on: March 22, 2012, 02:25:28 PM »

Offline Swiski

« Reply #110 on: March 22, 2012, 02:39:26 PM »
As I mentioned in an earlier post I received a Z sketch of Hormone Chili that was a color sketch but no color. I'm more concerned about that type of "quality control" than I am about the "quality" of a sketch. I wrote Topps, but, as of yet, have not received a reply to my concern of the non-color color sketch.

You guys keep talking about these sketch cards that are black and white that supposed to be colored. I'm confused. How do you know a sketch card was suppose to be in color?

Online RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #111 on: March 22, 2012, 02:46:57 PM »
You guys keep talking about these sketch cards that are black and white that supposed to be colored. I'm confused. How do you know a sketch card was suppose to be in color?

In Postcard series 7 & 8, the copyright line on the reverse specifioes 'Color Sketch Courtesy of the Artist...'.  The b&w sketches don't have 'Color" in the copyright.

Offline Swiski

« Reply #112 on: March 22, 2012, 04:42:04 PM »
In Postcard series 7 & 8, the copyright line on the reverse specifioes 'Color Sketch Courtesy of the Artist...'.  The b&w sketches don't have 'Color" in the copyright.

Ahhhh! Thanks.

Offline View Monster

• Sights For Sore-Eyes
  • ___ a.k.a. wackyfan ___
    • Non-Sport trading cardz
« Reply #113 on: March 22, 2012, 05:04:29 PM »
so what'd you pull??  >:D

I pulled my SERIES 1 POSTCARD SET from my collection to see what it could bring in. I posted it over to the trade section of the forum.

« Last Edit: March 23, 2012, 05:16:12 AM by View Monster »

Offline Gurgle

• recommends zircon-encrusted tweezers
« Reply #114 on: March 22, 2012, 06:17:09 PM »

Aw, geez, I didn't know that! As one of the sketch artists, I have to say that I think I colored a few b/w cards and, in turn, left a few color ones b/w.

Offline Deaf Geoff

• Pop Culture Junkie
« Reply #115 on: March 22, 2012, 06:24:37 PM »
But you didn't bring the weak sauce.

I really only see Zilznik sucking hind tit on sketches. Emphasis on suck.

It saddens me because his art is good, and I want him to show the fans a little effort. It is clear who has enthusiasm for their work.

I know the artists may not communicate with each other.....some of you may have never met, but somebody needs to light a fire under his ass.
Interested in Mars Attacks sketches. PM me with pics and prices!

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #116 on: March 22, 2012, 06:42:04 PM »
Aw, geez, I didn't know that! As one of the sketch artists, I have to say that I think I colored a few b/w cards and, in turn, left a few color ones b/w.

If I get one of yours that isn't colored in I'll do it myself and pass it off as an authentic color Parisi. I may have my daughter color it in with crayon and you wont work again..Bahahahahah....LOL

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #117 on: March 22, 2012, 06:45:09 PM »
Seriously, you did a fantastic job and your sketches are generally funny as hell. I'm curious as to the multiple eyes sketches? I have a couple OLDS3 sketches with babble having 4 eyes and Play dumb with 3 eyes. Now I see a PC8 girl with 3 eyes. I'm not following this and what your getting at. Please explain. It's for my local paper ;)

Offline Gurgle

« Reply #118 on: March 22, 2012, 06:51:36 PM »
Seriously, you did a fantastic job and your sketches are generally funny as hell. I'm curious as to the multiple eyes sketches? I have a couple OLDS3 sketches with babble having 4 eyes and Play dumb with 3 eyes. Now I see a PC8 girl with 3 eyes. I'm not following this and what your getting at. Please explain. It's for my local paper ;)

Thanks. I wish I had a good story for you. I don't have the chops of some of the artists so I try to mix things up. I drew someone with 3 eyes once and liked how it looked. I'm not getting at anything I just think it looks odd and fun so I keep coming back to it. But don't quote me on that.

Online RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #119 on: March 23, 2012, 04:04:29 AM »
Thanks. I wish I had a good story for you. I don't have the chops of some of the artists so I try to mix things up. I drew someone with 3 eyes once and liked how it looked. I'm not getting at anything I just think it looks odd and fun so I keep coming back to it. But don't quote me on that.

It's not just multiple eyes - I have an Old School 3 sketch of yours where the Tipsy Roll guy is missing an eye, and it's on the lollipop stick.

Offline vonhef

« Reply #120 on: March 23, 2012, 04:25:57 AM »
I was looking at my series 8 LE sets last night when I noticed that in two of the five sets that the signature was missing from the back of the SImko card! Does this make it more desirable? I also have a Jay Lynch unsigned Halloween comic.

Offline Rabid Shaver

• Trivia Pirates
« Reply #121 on: March 23, 2012, 04:47:20 AM »

In Old School 2, the backs are upside-down and a dark purple color.....I did Pull a b/w sketch on one of these and wrote a nice note to the Artist....he did a very classy thing, and
Colored it for me (even sent a certificate of authenticity LOL!) it looks Fantastic!! There is always hope   :D

Offline Hustler08

• I Hustle for Wacky Packs!!!
« Reply #122 on: March 23, 2012, 05:48:11 AM »

I think I got one of your colored play-doh...super nice!! will post later..

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #123 on: March 23, 2012, 07:15:39 AM »
I decided to put up a set of postcards in auction format. The auction ends in about 3 hours. I wonder if it will hit $2?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/230764430683?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

Offline deadpresidentsvisa

« Reply #124 on: March 23, 2012, 07:22:49 AM »
I decided to put up a set of postcards in auction format. The auction ends in about 3 hours. I wonder if it will hit $2?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/230764430683?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649
YA.......MR. JASPERSEN FVCKED UP HOPEFULLY NOT TO HAPPEN AGAIN
"DID YOU TRY MONKEYING WITH IT" FROM *THE HOT ROCK*....ROBERT REDFORD...ZERO MOSTEL

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #125 on: March 23, 2012, 08:50:26 AM »

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #126 on: March 23, 2012, 11:02:51 AM »

It didn't even sell for $4. Sad....

Offline Feetena

• 10....err, 9 toes in every bowl!
« Reply #127 on: March 23, 2012, 11:08:09 AM »
I am glad the prices have come down in the secondary market.  I can hear the air slowly leaking out of the balloon now... Of course, if you are in the business of reselling or churning product, not so good.

Offline Gurgle

« Reply #128 on: March 23, 2012, 11:08:27 AM »
It's not just multiple eyes - I have an Old School 3 sketch of yours where the Tipsy Roll guy is missing an eye, and it's on the lollipop stick.

I hate when that happens.

Offline Porkie

• Looking for *Irish Test* cards!
« Reply #129 on: March 23, 2012, 01:19:11 PM »
FourRoses: I believe I have a solution to the JZ b&w-on-sketch-card-that-says-color-on-the-back:

I pulled a color JZ (posted the pic here) and it does not say color sketch card on the back. I believe JZ didn't pay attention to this and just did his color and b&w's on whatever blank card was in front of him.  :^)

Offline Playbug

• Visit my website !
    • jeffxmusic.com
« Reply #130 on: March 23, 2012, 01:29:39 PM »
I was looking at my series 8 LE sets last night when I noticed that in two of the five sets that the signature was missing from the back of the SImko card! Does this make it more desirable? I also have a Jay Lynch unsigned Halloween comic.

I had this same question last series when I had a card that wasn't signed. Unfortunately I think that an unsigned card would not be more desirable. I sent it to Neil and he had the artist sign it for me, then he mailed it back to me.

That is another problem for some people who may like to buy some sets to later sell. After all, Topps is listing them as a Limited Artist "Signed" Set. You would think that at least there would be someone checking this as well as the contents of the items being sent for accuracy.
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World

Offline Playbug

• Visit my website !
    • jeffxmusic.com
« Reply #131 on: March 23, 2012, 01:34:34 PM »
FourRoses: I believe I have a solution to the JZ b&w-on-sketch-card-that-says-color-on-the-back:

I pulled a color JZ (posted the pic here) and it does not say color sketch card on the back. I believe JZ didn't pay attention to this and just did his color and b&w's on whatever blank card was in front of him.  :^)

J Z is only responsible for rappers. No, seriously - could that also be a reflection of what has be stated here already about not caring? Or was it just an innocent mishap? If more surface in the way, then I would say that it is safe to say carelessness. If more do not, an innocent mishap. Although, that mistake could make it end up being a more rare card, right?

Online RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #132 on: March 23, 2012, 02:33:41 PM »
J Z is only responsible for rappers. No, seriously - could that also be a reflection of what has be stated here already about not caring? Or was it just an innocent mishap? If more surface in the way, then I would say that it is safe to say carelessness. If more do not, an innocent mishap. Although, that mistake could make it end up being a more rare card, right?

The 'Color' designation is in very small type, on the bottom of the back of the sketch card.  If an artist had dozens of sketches to produce in a short time, that would be an easy mistake; we don't even know for sure that the difference was well defined to all the artists.  "I'm supposed to do x number of colors, and x number in b&w, let me get to them."

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #133 on: March 23, 2012, 03:26:59 PM »
The 'Color' designation is in very small type, on the bottom of the back of the sketch card.  If an artist had dozens of sketches to produce in a short time, that would be an easy mistake; we don't even know for sure that the difference was well defined to all the artists.  "I'm supposed to do x number of colors, and x number in b&w, let me get to them."

The process of doing hundreds of sketch cards by the artists must be extremely monotonous, so you have to expect a signature left off here or there or a color done on a b&w card.   
Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)

Offline Swiski

« Reply #134 on: March 23, 2012, 03:45:29 PM »
It didn't even sell for $4. Sad....

Yep...besides the sketch cards and bio cards, LE wave 8 is frickin' worthless on eBay!! Turbo is probably the only person who had success selling his extra stuff. I'm trying to sell my postcards and bonus cards, and I'm constantly lowering my BIN prices. I sold only 1 postcard set (without the goodies) a week ago, but I'm having a hard time getting a payment from the buyer. I sent this person several reminders and I only received a rather nasty email! Sounds like this person probably found out they could have got the postcards directly from Topps for cheaper. So, now I'm stuck with 3 or 4 postcard sets and a handful of bonus cards that I will probably give away for free. The good news for me is that I finally got 2 color sketches this time, so I feel I have achieved my ultimate goal. Next time I will be wiser and purchase just one of each set.

Offline Go_Bum

« Reply #135 on: March 23, 2012, 04:53:37 PM »
I'm glad the prices aren't high, because ebay is where I will eventually buy a set. If I were to buy a regular set from topps it would cost me almost $25, even more if I dinged with brokerage fee.

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #136 on: March 24, 2012, 02:54:46 AM »
How about $1.30 for a TS14?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/230764373242?ssPageName=STRK:MESOX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1559.l2649

So I finally sold my limited set with both bonus cards and got $15 shipped for it. This time around I purchased two limited sets and two regular sets which got me everything except four of the bio cards. I traded one of my sketches with Brad for the four bios and now I am complete with one sketch to keep. My net out lay was $90.In the past I purchased more sets as they were re-sellable and would usually break even. I am glad I don't rely on the wacky resale market as it seems to have dissipated with this release. This is good for collectors as you don't need to pay alot to get everything. :) I am very happy with this set and look forward to more cool cards in the future. My binder is pretty much at capacity now so it would be a good time to look at making a new one.

DrDeal

Offline Playbug

• Visit my website !
    • jeffxmusic.com
« Reply #137 on: March 24, 2012, 08:08:51 AM »
How about $1.30 for a TS14?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/230764373242?ssPageName=STRK:MESOX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1559.l2649

That's a far cry from Hoppy Meal. Even though you can still get Series 8 today on the Topps site, that STILL is a steal !

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #138 on: March 26, 2012, 07:36:17 AM »
So I finally sold my limited set with both bonus cards and got $15 shipped for it. This time around I purchased two limited sets and two regular sets which got me everything except four of the bio cards. I traded one of my sketches with Brad for the four bios and now I am complete with one sketch to keep. My net out lay was $90.In the past I purchased more sets as they were re-sellable and would usually break even. I am glad I don't rely on the wacky resale market as it seems to have dissipated with this release. This is good for collectors as you don't need to pay alot to get everything. :) I am very happy with this set and look forward to more cool cards in the future. My binder is pretty much at capacity now so it would be a good time to look at making a new one.

DrDeal

Looks like the iPad had the same issues for resellers:
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1348609