Author Topic: Old School Tough Sketches  (Read 25403 times)

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
Old School Tough Sketches
« on: March 09, 2010, 05:58:26 PM »
I pulled another tough sketch today but now colored :'(
Actually both John Frick and I both had a couple nice pulls. Here are the pix.
Mine is (was) the in your grill guy.
Remember, you can click on any image to enlarge. You can also click on the link below to save to your hard drive. This goes for any type of document such as Doc, PDF, & Zip. That is something we could never do in the other forum. This will keep the picture posts size down when loading.

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
Re: Old School Tough Sketches
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2010, 07:10:40 PM »
Those are both awesome. I really like the weird ones like these as they represent a strange moment of the day where Jay just said "screw it" and went off on these.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2010, 07:39:41 PM »
Those are both awesome. I really like the weird ones like these as they represent a strange moment of the day where Jay just said "screw it" and went off on these.
He does have a great style. I just wasn't sure how other Wacky collectors would respond

Offline BaudLight

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2010, 11:02:47 PM »
I am very interested to see the one-of-a-kinds/exotics/non-wacky's/whatever they are caliing them now, especially the different beanie guys since I have one of them.  Perhaps someday a gallery of them will emerge?

BaudLight

Offline Kook

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2010, 06:12:09 AM »
Brad, You have some really nice pulls with old school. How many boxes did you go through?

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2010, 06:16:56 AM »
Brad, You have some really nice pulls with old school. How many boxes did you go through?
I think about 70. I am done buying boxes...for now.... ;D

Offline Kook

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2010, 06:38:47 AM »
Did you pull any Dr Onos or Paste anyplace kids, or are they still mia? What about Bubble yuk? From what I've read, I have only heard of 2.

Offline Crakola Crayons

• 10+ years of homemades
  • "...I'll stop the world and melt with you..."
    • Martin's View (blog about music, TV, movies and comics)
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2010, 06:45:38 AM »
I think about 70. I am done buying boxes...for now.... ;D

70 boxes!  Wow!   :o
My blog on music, comics, film and more - Martin's View - http://mcmaenza.blogspot.com/

Offline Bigmuc13

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2010, 06:59:51 AM »
Holy ow, 70 boxes!  That's a lot of scratch.  I see that you had pulled a couple of high end ones, that certainly helps defray the cost.
Still looking for Series 17

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2010, 07:10:31 AM »
I am very interested to see the one-of-a-kinds/exotics/non-wacky's/whatever they are caliing them now, especially the different beanie guys since I have one of them.  Perhaps someday a gallery of them will emerge?

BaudLight

Just order the poster. I think that most are on there.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2010, 07:14:41 AM »
Holy ow, 70 boxes!  That's a lot of scratch.  I see that you had pulled a couple of high end ones, that certainly helps defray the cost.

My goal was to get all the base sketch cards and not have to spend much money. Luckily I was able to score some nice high end ones so I am still down just a few bucks but should break even soon. It's a total crap shoot. When I purchased 27 boxes I pulled the colored. I thought that was easy. I just got in 30 boxes yesterday and only pulled the one-off guy in your grill sketch. Everything else was the same sketches everyone else has. None of the tougher pulls.
By the way, I overnighted all of these boxes so you can imagine the extra expense. I think I have now paid about $1000 just in shipping.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2010, 07:18:06 AM »
Did you pull any Dr Onos or Paste anyplace kids, or are they still mia? What about Bubble yuk? From what I've read, I have only heard of 2.

Nope, I am still looking for those along with an umbrella girl

Offline Kook

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2010, 10:07:48 AM »
same here. If you pull 2 of any of those (which is very common to pull 2 of the same in a row), PLEEEASE let me know. Thanks

Offline FourRoses

« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2010, 10:13:25 AM »
All of the sketches (highly detailed or not) look very nice.

Offline Sue Mee

• and Sometimes I'm LipOff
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2010, 10:30:38 AM »
I pulled another tough sketch today but now colored :'(

The colored ones are really nice but I'd personally rather have this "in your grill guy".  That's an awesome sketch!
Sue Mee is AKA LipOff
My Home-Made Wackys

Offline Kook

« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2010, 10:37:27 AM »
I just finished cutting up my sketch card poster. The artwork is phonomenal. I'm going to get them laminated & have a full set of the colored sketches & the "exotics" without spending $100k  ;)  If you haven't purchased a sketch card poster, you don't know what you are missing.

Offline RonZombie

• (AKA)"Ron of the Dead"
  • Take a "BITE" out of life!
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2010, 01:08:10 PM »
No doubt! The "Sketch-Card" Poster is nothing less than AWESOME!!!
"Treat others the way you like to be treated"

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2010, 01:12:22 PM »
Those are some of the most interesting Old School.Lynch sketches I've seen yet.

Have you opened all your boxes?

Offline Gurgle

• recommends zircon-encrusted tweezers
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2010, 02:33:31 PM »
Maybe the "in your grill" guy is the pizza delivery guy Jay mentioned.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2010, 03:38:00 PM »
I just finished cutting up my sketch card poster. The artwork is phonomenal. I'm going to get them laminated & have a full set of the colored sketches & the "exotics" without spending $100k  ;)  If you haven't purchased a sketch card poster, you don't know what you are missing.

I am still waiting for my 2 sketch posters. Ordered them last week. Damn you media mail >:D

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2010, 03:38:57 PM »
That would be one ugly pizza guy! It could be right. I won't know until the sketch poster shows up to see. My eyes aren't that great to review off the little poster flyer.

Offline RonZombie

• (AKA)"Ron of the Dead"
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2010, 03:40:25 PM »
I got mine yasterday...It is nothing less than AWSOME   8)

Bum_and_Mabel

« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2010, 04:43:11 PM »
Remember, you can click on any image to enlarge.
One of my favorite forum features so far.
(You could blow out a candle just by uttering that sentence.) (Lot of "f"s.)

Offline BaudLight

« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2010, 05:20:09 PM »
Just order the poster. I think that most are on there.
Most maybe, but not all.  I know that my beanie guy isn't on the poster and the one with the "warty" nose isn't either. 

BaudLight

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2010, 05:25:46 PM »
Wow!  I saw the "disgusting" beanie guy already, but that face sketch is funky and different, and I dig it!

Both really great!  Thanks for sharing them here!
Jason Liebig - A swell TV host (currently on History Channel) who used to oversee Marvel Comics' X-Men - now creator and curator of WishbookWeb.com and CollectingCandy.com, a celebration of candy packaging, marketing and the people behind it all

Offline BaudLight

« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2010, 05:28:30 PM »
I don't have the poster so I can't really make it out from the little flyer, but what about the card on the bottom row, second from left?  It looks like a guy with a vest like a pizza guy would wear and he appears to be carrying something.  Can't make out what he is saying either.  Someone with the poster, can you make it out better?

BaudLight

Offline Playskull

« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2010, 06:48:31 PM »
Speaking of sketches, there seems to be a slowdown on the number of eBay new listings.  Also, the common sketches appear to be dropping in price.  Ones that used to go for $25 regularly are now around $20.  Others that had gone for $75-$100 are now in the $35-$50 range.  And why does is seem like every other sketch for sale is a PUPSI?!

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2010, 06:53:29 PM »
Speaking of sketches, there seems to be a slowdown on the number of eBay new listings.  Also, the common sketches appear to be dropping in price.  Ones that used to go for $25 regularly are now around $20.  Others that had gone for $75-$100 are now in the $35-$50 range.  And why does is seem like every other sketch for sale is a PUPSI?!

Yes, the more frequent sketches are slowing down. I have about 30 extra sketches. I may end up having a fire sale :))

Offline RonZombie

• (AKA)"Ron of the Dead"
« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2010, 06:57:14 PM »
Is the Quaker Oat Duck considered common?

Offline Playskull

« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2010, 07:01:19 PM »
Yes, the more frequent sketches are slowing down. I have about 30 extra sketches. I may end up having a fire sale :))
Now I'm definitely reluctant to buy more boxes at the current price. Imagine paying like $60 shipped and pulling a fishbone guy sketch.  I wish Topps would at least offer free shipping again.  Geez, throw us a bone already!

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2010, 07:19:16 PM »

Bill, how are you doing with your sketch cards?  You must be down to only 2-3 at this point, no?
Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)

Offline Kook

« Reply #31 on: March 10, 2010, 08:20:07 PM »
Hi Rob,
I'm down to 3: Dr Ono, Paste anyplace & umbrella. What about you? If you come across any extras on these, please give me a heads up.

Offline Duznt

• - John K -
« Reply #32 on: March 10, 2010, 11:39:59 PM »
Now I'm definitely reluctant to buy more boxes at the current price. Imagine paying like $60 shipped and pulling a fishbone guy sketch.  I wish Topps would at least offer free shipping again.  Geez, throw us a bone already!

Ok what I'm thinking, is that there have only been a few color sketches pulled so far (from what we've seen on the forum and ebay). So what are the odds of color ones still in Topps inventory vs. customers already purchased sealed boxes. I guessing Topps inventory, because not many people have the willpower to keep them sealed :)

Offline slayskool

• I'll sell some sweet swell swill someday.
    • Photography by Paul Argyropoulos
« Reply #33 on: March 11, 2010, 12:16:15 AM »
Exotics is the winner.
Remember, all's swill that ends swill.

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #34 on: March 11, 2010, 02:42:07 AM »

I cut up my Sketch Card poster also. I didn't laminate my "cards" but I did put them in 9 pocket pages. I have three real Sketches also (Pupsi, Ajerx, Kook) That works for me.

DrDeal

anything