Author Topic: Old School 3 Sketch Spoilers  (Read 112847 times)

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
Re: Old School 3 Sketch Spoilers
« Reply #70 on: February 21, 2012, 03:41:41 PM »
Here's the 6 that me and my brother pulled.

Each by a different artist. Cool! Love the Simko and Kirscht.

Offline ScaryLee

« Reply #71 on: February 21, 2012, 04:06:37 PM »
Each by a different artist. Cool! Love the Simko and Kirscht.

Yeah we got some pretty decent sketches. I was hoping for a Lynch or a colored though lol

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #72 on: February 21, 2012, 04:24:14 PM »
Here's the 6 that me and my brother pulled.

wow. perfection! no dupes on artist or image. I hope I can do the same when I get mine tomorrow.

Offline 70s_Kid

« Reply #73 on: February 21, 2012, 04:33:17 PM »
Can someone point to where their may be a quick bio on each artist that did sketches for this set?  Was that covered on this or another thread?  I just don't have time to hunt for it..  thanks.

Offline Monsterettes

« Reply #74 on: February 21, 2012, 06:33:40 PM »
Here are my sketches. Normally I strongly prefer the sketches of original series titles, but Grim is fantastic!

Offline Rabid Shaver

• Trivia Pirates
« Reply #75 on: February 21, 2012, 08:44:10 PM »
Here are my sketches. Normally I strongly prefer the sketches of original series titles, but Grim is fantastic!

Very nice Grim, and the Camera "lolipop" is a classic song as well...

• Administrator
« Reply #76 on: February 21, 2012, 08:47:54 PM »
Thank you, Thank you, Thank you.....  if you read the entire thread you'll see I was saying the same thing.   Every sketch from him on this thread is God awful!  Looks like an 8 year old drew it in under 10 seconds....  just terrible.  I've had folks  defending him, stating they are supposed to be sketches.  True, but compare his swill to the other artists.  No comparison.  His finished artwork is pretty good...  So, I don't know what he's doing here.  I think I will from now on refer to him as Swill-eznik.  
thoughts?
[expando]http://i.ebayimg.com/t/2012-Topps-Wacky-Packages-Buz-Detergent-OLDS3-Old-School-3-Ziliznik-Color-Sketch-/00/s/OTIwWDcyNg==/$(KGrHqR,!k4E8-Mf8KzdBPQvCjJRI!~~60_3.JPG[/expando]

Offline Rabid Shaver

• Trivia Pirates
« Reply #77 on: February 21, 2012, 09:07:37 PM »

Half of mine came in.....Love Neil's Hipton....have not seen any other Zeleznik sketches that are Dated on bottom....nice sketch though

Offline 70s_Kid

« Reply #78 on: February 22, 2012, 04:03:45 AM »
thoughts?
[expando]http://i.ebayimg.com/t/2012-Topps-Wacky-Packages-Buz-Detergent-OLDS3-Old-School-3-Ziliznik-Color-Sketch-/00/s/OTIwWDcyNg==/$(KGrHqR,!k4E8-Mf8KzdBPQvCjJRI!~~60_3.JPG[/expando]

C-

Even in color, Swill-eznik comes across as a total amateur against the likes of Neil Camera , Joe Simko or Brent Engstrom...  IMHO.  BTW, has anyone pulled a Lay Lynch sketch yet ?
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 05:06:45 AM by 70s_Kid »

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #79 on: February 22, 2012, 04:59:31 AM »

Half of mine came in.....Love Neil's Hipton....have not seen any other Zeleznik sketches that are Dated on bottom....nice sketch though

Cool Skimpy!  I think that Griffith Head and Boulders is really similar to the one Scary Lee posted.

Offline 70s_Kid

« Reply #80 on: February 22, 2012, 05:07:48 AM »
Cool Skimpy!  I think that Griffith Head and Boulders is really similar to the one Scary Lee posted.

Neil Camera's Hippy is awesome !

Offline Swiski

« Reply #81 on: February 22, 2012, 05:29:53 AM »
Here are my 4 sketches...

Offline Rabid Shaver

• Trivia Pirates
« Reply #82 on: February 22, 2012, 07:10:29 AM »
Here are my 4 sketches...

Nice Combo!

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #83 on: February 22, 2012, 07:39:53 AM »
Cool Skimpy!  I think that Griffith Head and Boulders is really similar to the one Scary Lee posted.

Just like with OLDS2 the Griffith's will probably be the same. I also think Bhob, Colin, & Zeleznek will be mostly the same from what I have seen so far. If you're looking to sell they will probably hover around the $30 mark.

My personal opinion (probably should have started a new thread for this) on this the sketch market for OLDS3 will drop substantially over the last series. That is because it's too easy to get good sketches. We don't have half of the same Lynch sketches as we have seen in the last series. With the last 2 series if you bought 20 boxes you would probably end up with 9 Lynch sketches leaving you with only 11 different sketches. Remove the Griffith's and Bhob (because they were repeat sketches) and you only had about 9 decent sketches from 20 boxes. That is what drove prices up in OLDS2. With OLDS3 if you order 20 boxes you will probably end up with around 16-17 nice sketches. The odds are too easy now. This is a good thing for collectors and a bad thing for resellers. My worry is OLDS3 will not sell out until around mid-late of the OLDS4 run, probably longer. This is the best OLDS series of base cards but buyers and sellers can only handle so many. I'm probably done after 60 boxes while with OLDS2 I bought around 500 because of the hot sketch market. The colors will sell well along with the Lynches. My hunch is the Simkos will keep a higher value but overall I see most selling in the $50 and under range with just a few really well done sketches selling around $60-$100. With more of the same variations by the same artist showing up we will probably see sub $30 price ranges.
Let the debate begin.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 07:54:41 AM by BumChex »

Offline Hustler08

• I Hustle for Wacky Packs!!!
« Reply #84 on: February 22, 2012, 09:20:35 AM »
Just like with OLDS2 the Griffith's will probably be the same. I also think Bhob, Colin, & Zeleznek will be mostly the same from what I have seen so far. If you're looking to sell they will probably hover around the $30 mark.

My personal opinion (probably should have started a new thread for this) on this the sketch market for OLDS3 will drop substantially over the last series. That is because it's too easy to get good sketches. We don't have half of the same Lynch sketches as we have seen in the last series. With the last 2 series if you bought 20 boxes you would probably end up with 9 Lynch sketches leaving you with only 11 different sketches. Remove the Griffith's and Bhob (because they were repeat sketches) and you only had about 9 decent sketches from 20 boxes. That is what drove prices up in OLDS2. With OLDS3 if you order 20 boxes you will probably end up with around 16-17 nice sketches. The odds are too easy now. This is a good thing for collectors and a bad thing for resellers. My worry is OLDS3 will not sell out until around mid-late of the OLDS4 run, probably longer. This is the best OLDS series of base cards but buyers and sellers can only handle so many. I'm probably done after 60 boxes while with OLDS2 I bought around 500 because of the hot sketch market. The colors will sell well along with the Lynches. My hunch is the Simkos will keep a higher value but overall I see most selling in the $50 and under range with just a few really well done sketches selling around $60-$100. With more of the same variations by the same artist showing up we will probably see sub $30 price ranges.
Let the debate begin.

What's your take on the "rarer" sketches - like the Gross sketches were with OLDS2 - Simko, Bhob, Wheaton & PARISI?? WILL THE COMBOS COMMAND A HIGHER PRICE???

Did Gross do any sketches??

We should start a list on all sketches done by artist's and their order of scarcity...value...

I also think that the abscense of a "certain someone" has deflated the market and hype of the sketch prices this time around?? it might have been artificially inflated for OLDS2...

BTW..got another colored sketch SIMKO - its AWESOME!!!FULL COLOR...

YOUR QUOTE: "This is a good thing for collectors and a bad thing for resellers" - THIS IS WHAT WE ON THE FORUM HAVE BEEN STRIVING FOR...I THINK OLDS3 IS GREAT BECAUSE OF THAT FACT....SHOULD HELP HOLD ITS VALUE...

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #85 on: February 22, 2012, 11:39:22 AM »

Let the debate begin.

I agree that the sketch sell prices will be lower for this series, but I don't think that's a bad thing.  I also think it will be offset by the variations found in the packs, because that will create more box purchases.  Prior to this series it was base set plus checklist out of your box and then your focus was pretty much all on sketch cards, but now there's more to collect.

Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #86 on: February 22, 2012, 11:46:52 AM »

YOUR QUOTE: "This is a good thing for collectors and a bad thing for resellers" - THIS IS WHAT WE ON THE FORUM HAVE BEEN STRIVING FOR...I THINK OLDS3 IS GREAT BECAUSE OF THAT FACT....SHOULD HELP HOLD ITS VALUE...

I agree with that.  First and foremost the forum is for collectors, not dealers, so if more people can afford the sketches now that's a good thing, not a bad thing.  The people that buy boxes to turn a profit will be hurt somewhat, but profiting isn't what we are supposed to be here for.

Having said that it is nice to be able to re-coop some of your costs be selling off your extras, but I think that can still be done, just not to the same extent.  Plus how long can collectors go series after series buying multiple sketch cards at $100.00 + each, only to watch them drop in value?  It gets crazy.

Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)

Offline Kook

« Reply #87 on: February 22, 2012, 11:56:47 AM »

Let the debate begin.

I think the sketch market is slowing down more because sketch fever is fading rather than the fact that there are more quality sketches around. Olds1 sparked the fever with Jay's 20 or 23 characters & the "exotics." To change it up a bit, olds2 introduced 11 more artists and then the combinations to collect & the variety raised the bar a bit, but I think the heavy hitters can only absorb so much before getting saturated, overwhelmed or broke. When left to the average collector, sketches are nice, but, IMO 5000 or 6350 or whatever the quantity, is way more than will be able to be absorbed without a handful of people buying up mass quantities.  That's good for the collector in the sense that things become cheaper, but it has a flipside that as demand drops, so does production (whether by choice, or as a result of a stockpile of unsold merchandise) and so we have less to collect. Just my 2 cents. Time will tell...

Offline ratchet007

« Reply #88 on: February 22, 2012, 12:03:22 PM »
These are the sketches I pulled from my three boxes:

These sketches are all for sale. PM me if interested.

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #89 on: February 22, 2012, 02:52:49 PM »
Thank you, Thank you, Thank you.....  if you read the entire thread you'll see I was saying the same thing.   Every sketch from him on this thread is God awful!  Looks like an 8 year old drew it in under 10 seconds....  just terrible.  I've had folks  defending him, stating they are supposed to be sketches.  True, but compare his swill to the other artists.  No comparison.  His finished artwork is pretty good...  So, I don't know what he's doing here.  I think I will from now on refer to him as Swill-eznik.  

Every Wacky artist receives the same meager pay per sketch card, not even enough to buy a Hershey bar. It's clear that Zeleznick's sketches are not as attractive as the others. But this is the result of foolish competition between the other artists. They have pushed expectations through the roof at their own expense. Most of these guys are giving a great deal of their time away just to impress guys like you. It's a practice of which Zeleznick rightfully excludes himself. Rather than bashing the guy who refuses to donate heaps of hours for such unrewarding ends, you might try commending those who give away so much of their time. 

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #90 on: February 22, 2012, 04:22:51 PM »
What's your take on the "rarer" sketches - like the Gross sketches were with OLDS2 - Simko, Bhob, Wheaton & PARISI?? WILL THE COMBOS COMMAND A HIGHER PRICE???

Did Gross do any sketches??

We should start a list on all sketches done by artist's and their order of scarcity...value...

I also think that the abscense of a "certain someone" has deflated the market and hype of the sketch prices this time around?? it might have been artificially inflated for OLDS2...

BTW..got another colored sketch SIMKO - its AWESOME!!!FULL COLOR...

Did I say Rarer? I may have to reread because at this point I'm not sure if there are any with OLDS3. Jays one offs for OLDS1 and color are rarer. Jay doing the same sketch 200 times for each character in OLDS2 helped make the other sketches rarer. Zapata and Gross were the tougher OLDS2 sketches to get but I'm not sure yet about this series.
As Rob also points out this is good for the collector but at a cost to the collector that resells what they don't need. They won't be able to turn a lot of sketches this time to buy more boxes. When I refer to resellers that is basically anyone that sells sketches. Not necessarily dealers but collectors as well because I used the money selling to buy more boxes. This time around we won't have that luxury. That is why I probably will be done with purchasing and that may happen to other collectors that bought more with previous series. This is another reason I say this will hurt sales of OLDS3. It's also the best series so far but the cards alone won't help sustain sales. There isn't enough buyers for this many sets. With both olds 1&2 I gave away several boxes of packs.
I could be wrong but I think I'm right....LOL

Offline weirdo1

« Reply #91 on: February 22, 2012, 04:25:47 PM »

My initial 6 boxes.  Great set!!  Very pleased with the sketches.  I'm disappointed that I was 9 cards short of a complete ludlow set.  One complete white-back set. 

Offline Bigmuc13

« Reply #92 on: February 22, 2012, 04:35:49 PM »

My initial 6 boxes.  Great set!!  Very pleased with the sketches.  I'm disappointed that I was 9 cards short of a complete ludlow set.  One complete white-back set. 

Nice set.  I love the Hawaiian Punks dude hanging out in the glass.  That was one is awesome.
Still looking for Series 17

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #93 on: February 22, 2012, 04:40:49 PM »
Rather than bashing the guy who refuses to donate heaps of hours for such unrewarding ends, you might try commending those who give away so much of their time. 

I couldn't agree more.  

This is a forum for discussion, and I get that many members enjoy the critical evaluation of things.  I don't want to deride that desire or practice.

Even so, it's good to remember that we are paying a mere $45 per box of these.  I would have imagined that could be a fair price for a limited release set like this, even without the sketch.  

So, for me, I always see the sketch cards as cream.  It is certainly nice to get a neat illustration as a bonus, but we should not build our expectations around that.

Jason Liebig - A swell TV host (currently on History Channel) who used to oversee Marvel Comics' X-Men - now creator and curator of WishbookWeb.com and CollectingCandy.com, a celebration of candy packaging, marketing and the people behind it all

Offline 70s_Kid

« Reply #94 on: February 22, 2012, 04:45:49 PM »
Every Wacky artist receives the same meager pay per sketch card, not even enough to buy a Hershey bar. It's clear that Zeleznick's sketches are not as attractive as the others. But this is the result of foolish competition between the other artists. They have pushed expectations through the roof at their own expense. Most of these guys are giving a great deal of their time away just to impress guys like you. It's a practice of which Zeleznick rightfully excludes himself. Rather than bashing the guy who refuses to donate heaps of hours for such unrewarding ends, you might try commending those who give away so much of their time.  

He should have "rightfully excluded" himself from this project if he wasn't going to put any effort into it.  I don't believe it was "foolish competition" at all between artists.  I would be more inclined to believe these artists did quality work out of love of their craft.  And yes, I am impressed by quality work.  Aren't you?

Offline 70s_Kid

« Reply #95 on: February 22, 2012, 04:50:42 PM »
My 3 sketches I pulled.  I pulled Neil Camera first which I like the best.  I would be willing to trade the other 2 for another Neil Camera.

Offline Duznt

• - John K -
« Reply #96 on: February 22, 2012, 05:03:59 PM »

OK I'll start: "Thanks to all the artists who gave a great deal of time away just to impress us!"   :-\

Seriously, do you really think that's why they put the extra time and effort into it? I don't.

Offline 70s_Kid

« Reply #97 on: February 22, 2012, 05:27:22 PM »
OK I'll start: "Thanks to all the artists who gave a great deal of time away just to impress us!"   :-\

Seriously, do you really think that's why they put the extra time and effort into it? I don't.

Agreed.  I say if you don't want to put out nice work, don't do it at all.  I have heaped a lot more praise on the excellent work I've seen so far, than I have dissed on Swill-eznik's half hearted attempt at art.  As for those who say these sketches are just a nice little extra thrown in?  Yea, OK.  The sketches are a primary reason why people buy multiple boxes.   Yes, many buy with hopes in making a profit re-selling, but many I'm sure keep them in their collection.  So, those who think the art is nothing more than a Cracker Jack prize you're kidding yourself.  
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 05:35:01 PM by 70s_Kid »

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #98 on: February 22, 2012, 05:33:08 PM »
OK I'll start: "Thanks to all the artists who gave a great deal of time away just to impress us!"   :-\

Who cares why they do it. I'm just saying it's wrong to bash the artist who doesn't give away his time like the others. Artists can't always work for the love. Love doesn't put food on the table. Does anyone expect you to spend hundreds of hours doing for free what you normally get paid for?

• Administrator
« Reply #99 on: February 22, 2012, 05:35:18 PM »
... and now back to our regular program...

more sketch scans! I got my first set of boxes in today, and had a really nice pull. My first color! Sweet!

Offline 70s_Kid

« Reply #100 on: February 22, 2012, 05:39:30 PM »
Who cares why they do it. I'm just saying it's wrong to bash the artist who doesn't give away his time like the others. Artists can't always work for the love. Love doesn't put food on the table. Does anyone expect you to spend hundreds of hours doing for free what you normally get paid for?

I'm not bashing him on his time management skills, I'm bashing him on his crappy work.  No one put a gun to his head.  If he didn't want to put his best effort in on this project, he should have sat this one out.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #101 on: February 22, 2012, 05:40:59 PM »

more sketch scans! I got my first set of boxes in today, and had a really nice pull. My first color! Sweet!

(Image removed from quote.)

I love the robot watching TV!

Offline 70s_Kid

« Reply #102 on: February 22, 2012, 05:42:45 PM »

(Image removed from quote.)

I'm loving the Robot Burns !!

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #103 on: February 22, 2012, 06:28:50 PM »
You expect John Z. to tell his employer he won't help to fill their much needed quota of sketch cards because some collector somewhere thinks he doesn't do it well? Is that how you talk to your employer? Instead of spending so much extra time drawing highly detailed sketches for low pay he could be doing a full blown painting commission for full pay.

My point is not about determining artists motivations. My point is to appreciate the extra work that some artists give rather than knocking the ones that don't. You shouldn't expect artists to work for free or expect that you have some right to take advantage of what they're willing to give. Artist are easily taken advantage of because of their passion. That's no so easy to do to people who are not passionate about their job.

Offline weirdo1

« Reply #104 on: February 22, 2012, 06:33:03 PM »

Nice Lynch sketch.  I'll post more pics tomorrow plus a "Golden Ticket"  Sweeeeeeet!!!