Author Topic: Old School 3 Sketch Spoilers  (Read 112848 times)

Offline weirdo1

Re: Old School 3 Sketch Spoilers
« Reply #140 on: February 23, 2012, 04:24:44 PM »
Back to our regularly scheduled program...

I only had time to open 1 box so far   ;D

Very nice!

Offline Monsterettes

« Reply #141 on: February 23, 2012, 05:15:55 PM »
Here are the four sketches I pulled.

Those are great, particularly love the Skimpy and the Kentucky Fried!

Offline Monsterettes

« Reply #142 on: February 23, 2012, 05:17:27 PM »
Ordered another box. Here's the sketch I got. I kinda like the psychedelic feel to this one...

All these sketches are amazing, but this is far out!

Offline HawaiianPunks

« Reply #143 on: February 23, 2012, 05:19:02 PM »
The only negative feedback I've had is for Zeleznik.  His black/whites are so sub par compared to the rest of the artists he should be ashamed.  I too am more into the stickers, but when I saw his work popping up, or should I say "pooping up" (LOL) I just had to chime in on it.

This looks like something my 7 year old daughter could have drawn:

Offline 70s_Kid

« Reply #144 on: February 23, 2012, 05:27:31 PM »

I keep saying the same thing, but there are those on this forum sticking up for the guy....  I don't get it. 

Offline HawaiianPunks

« Reply #145 on: February 23, 2012, 05:44:35 PM »
I keep saying the same thing, but there are those on this forum sticking up for the guy....  I don't get it. 

I love the sketches, but if they all had this level of detail/thought, I would not collect them.  I particularly dislike how "Robot Burns" was written on the card.  That above all smacks of a level of disinterest by the artist.

Offline 70s_Kid

« Reply #146 on: February 23, 2012, 05:47:31 PM »
I love the sketches, but if they all had this level of detail/thought, I would not collect them.  I particularly dislike how "Robot Burns" was written on the card.  That above all smacks of a level of disinterest by the artist.

I agree.  On the other hand, I have been very impressed by the other artists, especially Neil Camera, Smokin Joe and Joe Simko !

Offline HawaiianPunks

« Reply #147 on: February 23, 2012, 05:50:00 PM »
I agree.  On the other hand, I have been very impressed by the other artists, especially Neil Camera, Smokin Joe and Joe Simko !

Absolutely.  Most of the sketch cards are amazing.  The talent these guys have is most impressive.

Offline 70s_Kid

« Reply #148 on: February 23, 2012, 05:50:23 PM »
All these sketches are amazing, but this is far out!

Dig it man !

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #149 on: February 23, 2012, 06:02:10 PM »
I agree.  On the other hand, I have been very impressed by the other artists, especially Neil Camera, Smokin Joe and Joe Simko !

Glad to see another Smokin' Joe fan. He gets mentioned far too infrequently here. I really like his style... detailed yet not cluttered. The "hatching" style he uses reminds me of wood cut prints. Very cool.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 09:24:02 PM by sco(o)t »
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline 70s_Kid

« Reply #150 on: February 23, 2012, 06:24:34 PM »
Glad to see another Smokin' Joe fan. He gets mentioned far to infrequently here. I really like his style... detailed yet not cluttered. The "hatching" style he uses reminds me of wood cut prints. Very cool.

I hope to pull a Smokin Joe  some day !

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #151 on: February 23, 2012, 06:36:55 PM »
Glad to see another Smokin' Joe fan. He gets mentioned far to infrequently here. I really like his style... detailed yet not cluttered. The "hatching" style he uses reminds me of wood cut prints. Very cool.
totally agree. I think does some amazing work, both with the sketches and with the full-up artwork as well. Love his style.

Offline Monsterettes

« Reply #152 on: February 23, 2012, 06:39:32 PM »
I think Smokin' Joe's work is great -- I'm a big fan!

Offline Hustler08

• I Hustle for Wacky Packs!!!
« Reply #153 on: February 23, 2012, 06:56:06 PM »
totally agree. I think does some amazing work, both with the sketches and with the full-up artwork as well. Love his style.

Yea...I do too...totally...I actually own one of his original art pieces...its fantastic... :great: :great:

Offline Monsterettes

« Reply #154 on: February 23, 2012, 06:58:02 PM »
Yea...I do too...totally...I actually own one of his original art pieces...its fantastic... :great: :great:
That must be cool indeed.  Which one do you have?

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #155 on: February 23, 2012, 06:58:31 PM »

I am enjoying opening my boxes and looking at the new series! As a longtime fan of the classic KFF title, I am quite pleased to pull this Bill Griffith sketch. I also really like my Bhob Gulp. I find his style interesting and have been wanting one of his sketches. Great additions to my little collection. I’m slowly working my way up to buying hundreds of boxes.         (very slowly)

[expando]http://i1184.photobucket.com/albums/z332/rbishop224/Bhob.jpg[/expando] [expando]http://i1184.photobucket.com/albums/z332/rbishop224/Bill-2.jpg[/expando] [expando]http://i1184.photobucket.com/albums/z332/rbishop224/DisplayTable.jpg[/expando]

Offline Hustler08

• I Hustle for Wacky Packs!!!
« Reply #156 on: February 23, 2012, 07:01:27 PM »
That must be cool indeed.  Which one do you have?

WEBSKINZ...FOR MY DAUGHTERS...WHO LOVE WEBKINZ...NEED TO FRAME IT AND GET IT ON THEIR BEDROOM WALL...ITS REALLY COOL...VIVD COLORS AND ITS ALSO LARGE BUT WACKY ORIGINAL ART STANDARDS... :great: :great:KUDOS TO SMOKIN' JOE!!!

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #157 on: February 23, 2012, 07:16:41 PM »
WEBSKINZ...FOR MY DAUGHTERS...WHO LOVE WEBKINZ...NEED TO FRAME IT AND GET IT ON THEIR BEDROOM WALL...ITS REALLY COOL...VIVD COLORS AND ITS ALSO LARGE BUT WACKY ORIGINAL ART STANDARDS... :great: :great:KUDOS TO SMOKIN' JOE!!!

Get it over to Hobby Lobby pronto!

• Administrator
« Reply #158 on: February 23, 2012, 07:18:55 PM »
got my 2nd part of the shipment today, just 2 more sketches. Another Bhob, that makes 3 out of 7 from him. Did he do a lot more sketches this time around, or did I just have a streak?

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #159 on: February 23, 2012, 07:21:03 PM »

I love Smokin joe sketches as well but with this series Simko has stole the show. His are all amazing so far. I would love to own all of his. Simko did some good ones for the last series but seemed to have quite a few duds. I'm sure he got artist cramp towards the end of his sketches and it showed but so far everything I have seen are rock solid. I'm a huge fan!

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #160 on: February 23, 2012, 07:22:01 PM »
got my 2nd part of the shipment today, just 2 more sketches. Another Bhob, that makes 3 out of 7 from him. Did he do a lot more sketches this time around, or did I just have a streak?

(Image removed from quote.)

I think Bhob and Griffith did more sketches this time around.

Offline NEZHEAD42

« Reply #161 on: February 23, 2012, 07:38:48 PM »
Smokin' Joe is my favorite of anyone working on Wackys today.
"What's the point of being grown up, if you can't act childish?" - Doctor Who

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #162 on: February 23, 2012, 09:29:36 PM »

Have you ever seen a Matt Groening finished piece?   Simplistic stuff....But people love it.  And yes, your child could draw it.  I don't think people are thinking he should add more detail, or that he phoned it in.  Its just one kind of drawing. 

I can't dispute anyone not liking a sketch, or any piece of art for that matter.  Just keep in mind that here are all kinds of approaches to sketches and art.    Not all are tight or detailed.
Jason Liebig - A swell TV host (currently on History Channel) who used to oversee Marvel Comics' X-Men - now creator and curator of WishbookWeb.com and CollectingCandy.com, a celebration of candy packaging, marketing and the people behind it all

Offline sco(o)t

« Reply #163 on: February 23, 2012, 09:54:03 PM »
I am enjoying opening my boxes and looking at the new series! As a longtime fan of the classic KFF title, I am quite pleased to pull this Bill Griffith sketch. I also really like my Bhob Gulp. I find his style interesting and have been wanting one of his sketches. Great additions to my little collection. I’m slowly working my way up to buying hundreds of boxes.         (very slowly)

[expando]http://i1184.photobucket.com/albums/z332/rbishop224/Bhob.jpg[/expando] [expando]http://i1184.photobucket.com/albums/z332/rbishop224/Bill-2.jpg[/expando] [expando]http://i1184.photobucket.com/albums/z332/rbishop224/DisplayTable.jpg[/expando]

I really like your Gulp that Bhob did.

Offline Smokin Joe

• "Get some for your honey"
    • Smokin' Joe's Art and Illustration
« Reply #164 on: February 23, 2012, 09:59:09 PM »
Smokin' Joe is my favorite of anyone working on Wackys today.
  Aw shucks, you made me go all blue... (wait a minute... blue mean bad... breath mean good... I'm a little dizzy).
I notice that few of my sketch cards are noticable on here. So much effort for so little glory. I'm hoping it's because they are valued too much to subject them to harsh scanner light... I'm sure that's it.

But honestly... thanks for the kind words. I do love these sticky things. I've been a collector since I was a tiny lad in the 70's. Norm's my hero. I am painting against his ghost every time I lift my wacky paint brush. I do think John Zelenick's paintings are eerily reminescent of the Norm style... I'm glad he's on board.
   ...and, sketch cards are tedious, hand aching, short deadline for low pay, bleary eyed work... which is why we all do them. 
          See ya and thanks again for the appreciation.
     Smokin' Joe

Smokin' Joe

Offline sco(o)t

« Reply #165 on: February 23, 2012, 10:06:22 PM »
Here's a Parisi ROBOT BURNS on eBay right now I really like...

• Administrator
« Reply #166 on: February 23, 2012, 10:11:00 PM »

my oh my. look at those suckers! those are amazing!

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #167 on: February 23, 2012, 10:15:57 PM »
Here's a Parisi ROBOT BURNS on eBay right now I really like...

It makes me dizzy.

Offline sco(o)t

« Reply #168 on: February 23, 2012, 10:23:13 PM »
  Aw shucks, you made me go all blue... (wait a minute... blue mean bad... breath mean good... I'm a little dizzy).
I notice that few of my sketch cards are noticable on here. So much effort for so little glory. I'm hoping it's because they are valued too much to subject them to harsh scanner light... I'm sure that's it.

But honestly... thanks for the kind words. I do love these sticky things. I've been a collector since I was a tiny lad in the 70's. Norm's my hero. I am painting against his ghost every time I lift my wacky paint brush. I do think John Zelenick's paintings are eerily reminescent of the Norm style... I'm glad he's on board.
   ...and, sketch cards are tedious, hand aching, short deadline for low pay, bleary eyed work... which is why we all do them. 
     Smokin' Joe

Joe, thanks for stopping in, and the color sketch samples you left behind are terrific.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #169 on: February 23, 2012, 10:24:51 PM »

Smokin' Joe

Totally agree with your sketches but those are not examples of zeleznicks work. Don't get me wrong because I own an actual piece of his art and it's fantastick. What people are saying is his artistic ability doesn't flow to his sketches. There seemed to be some disconnect. The same has been for Simko with his almost unreconizable sketches from last series to now. He has embraced the sketch culture and brought his 'A' game.
Plan nine might be right about artists but some times that motives them and also advertises their craft.i have no idea what Topps pays for these but when you, as an artist, advertises for a big gig and show off what you have done in the past, how can you be proud of sub par sketches? Seriously, this could do more for a career than break it. Anyone can break a career. That part is easy.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 10:27:25 PM by BumChex »

Offline deadpresidentsvisa

« Reply #170 on: February 23, 2012, 10:57:15 PM »

I'M NOT SEEING A CERTAIN POSTER!!
"DID YOU TRY MONKEYING WITH IT" FROM *THE HOT ROCK*....ROBERT REDFORD...ZERO MOSTEL

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #171 on: February 24, 2012, 03:33:38 AM »
I'M NOT SEEING A CERTAIN POSTER!!

I'm seeing the Six Million Dollar Man!!

Offline 70s_Kid

« Reply #172 on: February 24, 2012, 03:34:25 AM »

Smokin' Joe

those colored sketches are amazing !  Great job Smokin Joe !

Offline weirdo1

« Reply #173 on: February 24, 2012, 03:52:12 AM »
I love Smokin joe sketches as well but with this series Simko has stole the show. His are all amazing so far. I would love to own all of his. Simko did some good ones for the last series but seemed to have quite a few duds. I'm sure he got artist cramp towards the end of his sketches and it showed but so far everything I have seen are rock solid. I'm a huge fan!

I agree 100%.  Simko kicked it up a notch for this series compared to the last.  I got a few I haven't yet posted that are great.  Many of these (by all artists) go beyond sketch--they're truly little works of art.

Offline weirdo1

« Reply #174 on: February 24, 2012, 03:57:06 AM »
A couple of boxes I opened didn't have the poster or sketch envelope.  Has anyone else experienced this?  Is it worth contacting Topps?  Will they do anything about it?  Thanks.