Author Topic: Old School 3 Sketch Spoilers  (Read 112837 times)

Offline Monsterettes

Re: Old School 3 Sketch Spoilers
« Reply #105 on: February 22, 2012, 06:34:17 PM »
Here are my next and final (I think) six. 

Offline Monsterettes

« Reply #106 on: February 22, 2012, 06:39:06 PM »
Nice set.  I love the Hawaiian Punks dude hanging out in the glass.  That was one is awesome.
I agree --the Hawaiian Punks is truly inspired!

Offline Monsterettes

« Reply #107 on: February 22, 2012, 06:40:08 PM »
... and now back to our regular program...

more sketch scans! I got my first set of boxes in today, and had a really nice pull. My first color! Sweet!

(Image removed from quote.)
And while I'm sharing the love, the Robot Burns is super!

Offline NEZHEAD42

« Reply #108 on: February 22, 2012, 06:47:11 PM »

Nice Lynch sketch.  I'll post more pics tomorrow plus a "Golden Ticket"  Sweeeeeeet!!!
Awesome! Is this the first Lynch sketch we've seen?
"What's the point of being grown up, if you can't act childish?" - Doctor Who

Offline Monsterettes

« Reply #109 on: February 22, 2012, 06:51:55 PM »
Nice Lynch sketch.  I'll post more pics tomorrow plus a "Golden Ticket"  Sweeeeeeet!!!
Can you share details on what the "Golden Ticket" is before you post a scan tomorrow?

Offline rdsjnk

« Reply #110 on: February 22, 2012, 06:52:28 PM »
My Pulls!!

Offline Hustler08

• I Hustle for Wacky Packs!!!
« Reply #111 on: February 22, 2012, 07:03:10 PM »
My Pulls!!

nice color sketch...Brett's Hipton is awesome!!!

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #112 on: February 22, 2012, 07:38:29 PM »
Artists are easily taken advantage of because of their passion. That's not so easy to do to people who are not passionate about their job.

That’s an interesting point I’ve never considered. I think there is a lot of truth there. Always nice to learn new stuff.

If I were an aspiring artist and had a chance to paint a mural in City Hall, I’d be more “flexible” when negotiating my fee, compared to, for example, a carpenter who is submitting a bid or negotiating a contract to install new floors and doors in the judge’s chambers.

Looking forward to getting my two boxes of OS3 and also my doodles tomorrow night!

:toothy9:

Offline Bigmuc13

« Reply #113 on: February 22, 2012, 07:42:16 PM »
This is probably the nicest pull I will ever get from a Wacky Package box.  This is my third box, and I still have 3 to go.  But I had to post this first.  Amazing.  I am not a big sketch collector though.  I may have to give it a whirl on ebay to pay for more of my habit.  We'll see!

Still looking for Series 17

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #114 on: February 22, 2012, 07:56:46 PM »
wow. that is uber-nice.
I'll definitely be adding a Bat babe into my collection of sketches at some point if I don't pull one in my remaining boxes.

Offline Pupsi-Cola

« Reply #115 on: February 22, 2012, 08:07:29 PM »
This is probably the nicest pull I will ever get from a Wacky Package box.  This is my third box, and I still have 3 to go.  But I had to post this first.  Amazing.  I am not a big sketch collector though.  I may have to give it a whirl on ebay to pay for more of my habit.  We'll see!

No wonder I always liked Batgirl on the 60's T.V. series of Batman-LOL. Very sweet pull indeed Bill.

Offline Duznt

• - John K -
« Reply #116 on: February 22, 2012, 08:08:24 PM »
Who cares why they do it. I'm just saying it's wrong to bash the artist who doesn't give away his time like the others.

But it's OK to bash the artists who do put extra time into theirs? (when you said they're just doing it to impress us, or as part of a foolish competition).
I agree with 70s_Kid when he said the artists do it for the love of their craft.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #117 on: February 22, 2012, 08:24:23 PM »
Can you share details on what the "Golden Ticket" is before you post a scan tomorrow?

Agreed! Please tell us more about the golden ticket. Does it come in packs? What does it look like?

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #118 on: February 22, 2012, 09:30:30 PM »
But it's OK to bash the artists who do put extra time into theirs? (when you said they're just doing it to impress us, or as part of a foolish competition).
I agree with 70s_Kid when he said the artists do it for the love of their craft.

Well I'm an artist and I know artists so I know what motivated artists. In the case of sketch cards your passion for it usually runs out around card #150. By card #300 you start asking yourself why you ever raised the bar and by card 500 you think about becoming a carpenter. I'm not bashing artists. But in any case, if you think artists aren't trying to impress anybody then you're clueless.

Offline 70s_Kid

« Reply #119 on: February 22, 2012, 11:30:46 PM »

Nice.  Very alluring !

Offline 70s_Kid

« Reply #120 on: February 22, 2012, 11:39:26 PM »
You expect John Z. to tell his employer he won't help to fill their much needed quota of sketch cards because some collector somewhere thinks he doesn't do it well? Is that how you talk to your employer? Instead of spending so much extra time drawing highly detailed sketches for low pay he could be doing a full blown painting commission for full pay.

My point is not about determining artists motivations. My point is to appreciate the extra work that some artists give rather than knocking the ones that don't. You shouldn't expect artists to work for free or expect that you have some right to take advantage of what they're willing to give. Artist are easily taken advantage of because of their passion. That's no so easy to do to people who are not passionate about their job.

"You shouldn't expect artists to work for free or expect that you have some right to take advantage of what they're willing to give. Artist are easily taken advantage of because of their passion"   This makes absolutely no sense.  How is expecting someone to put a little effort into it taking advantage of that person?  He signed on to this project voluntarily I assume.  So, either you give it your all or you don't.  He didn't.  And his work shows that.  End of story.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 11:49:20 PM by 70s_Kid »

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #121 on: February 22, 2012, 11:48:27 PM »
Well I'm an artist and I know artists so I know what motivated artists.

Yeah!  If you've met one artist, you've met them all.  They pretty much all share the same motivations.

So, if you're an artist yourself, you only need look in the mirror to best determine what the motivations and thinking of all the others are.

Perfectly....sound....reasoning...

I'm sure there are many factors that play into what's going on, with what each individual is putting on the card.  

Stick to your original point:   We've been fortunate in that we've been getting more than what we (or Topps) have paid for.  it's a very good point.

I'm inclined to not spend much effort criticizing their work, because I do think we have been fortunate to get the quality that's been coming through.  I appreciate the sketches, but I'm more into the stickers.

So, im all for being thankful for what we have -- but are you suggesting that artists want people censoring their responses to their work?  Is that what you're suggesting members do?  

Jason Liebig - A swell TV host (currently on History Channel) who used to oversee Marvel Comics' X-Men - now creator and curator of WishbookWeb.com and CollectingCandy.com, a celebration of candy packaging, marketing and the people behind it all

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #122 on: February 23, 2012, 12:09:17 AM »
"You shouldn't expect artists to work for free or expect that you have some right to take advantage of what they're willing to give. Artist are easily taken advantage of because of their passion"   This makes absolutely no sense.  How is expecting someone to put a little effort into it taking advantage of that person?  He signed on to this project voluntarily I assume.  So, either you give it your all or you don't.  He didn't.  And his work shows that.  End of story.

Clearly the line between sketch, illustration and drawing has been blurred.  In my own experience, Ive seen a lot of sketchbooks of a lot of talented comic book artists.  There is a wide range of content.  Some does border on illustration.  Others do not.

If you don't like someme's sketch, that's fine.  I see no reason not to talk about that here. It's art and it's an honest opinion.

But to say that someone didn't "do their job" or didn't "give their all" is imaginative speculation at best.  At worst, you're attacking the character of someone based upon your own misunderstanding, and subsequent expectations, of a product. 

These are sketch cards.   Even if some folks have been delivering drawings and illustrations... They are still sketch cards.  We've been spoiled, but let's not act it.
Jason Liebig - A swell TV host (currently on History Channel) who used to oversee Marvel Comics' X-Men - now creator and curator of WishbookWeb.com and CollectingCandy.com, a celebration of candy packaging, marketing and the people behind it all

Offline 70s_Kid

« Reply #123 on: February 23, 2012, 12:09:45 AM »
Yeah!  If you've met one artist, you've met them all.  They pretty much all share the same motivations.

So, if you're an artist yourself, you only need look in the mirror to best determine what the motivations and thinking of all the others are.

Perfectly....sound....reasoning...

I'm sure there are many factors that play into what's going on, with what each individual is putting on the card.  

Stick to your original point:   We've been fortunate in that we've been getting more than what we (or Topps) have paid for.  it's a very good point.

I'm inclined to not spend much effort criticizing their work, because I do think we have been fortunate to get the quality that's been coming through.  I appreciate the sketches, but I'm more into the stickers.

So, im all for being thankful for what we have -- but are you suggesting that artists want people censoring their responses to their work?  Is that what you're suggesting members do?  

I'm inclined to not spend much effort criticizing their work, because I do think we have been fortunate to get the quality that's been coming through.  I appreciate the sketches, but I'm more into the stickers.  You are definately right in saying there has been alot of quality work here.  And I have been just as quick to point that out.  Anyone can look at my posts here.  The only negative feedback I've had is for Zeleznik.  His black/whites are so sub par compared to the rest of the artists he should be ashamed.  I too am more into the stickers, but when I saw his work popping up, or should I say "pooping up" (LOL) I just had to chime in on it.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 12:19:27 AM by 70s_Kid »

Offline 70s_Kid

« Reply #124 on: February 23, 2012, 12:18:57 AM »
Clearly the line between sketch, illustration and drawing has been blurred.  In my own experience, Ive seen a lot of sketchbooks of a lot of talented comic book artists.  There is a wide range of content.  Some does border on illustration.  Others do not.

If you don't like someme's sketch, that's fine.  I see no reason not to talk about that here. It's art and it's an honest opinion.

But to say that someone didn't "do their job" or didn't "give their all" is imaginative speculation at best.  At worst, you're attacking the character of someone based upon your own misunderstanding, and subsequent expectations, of a product. 

These are sketch cards.   Even if some folks have been delivering drawings and illustrations... They are still sketch cards.  We've been spoiled, but let's not act it.

In another quote you say, " So, im all for being thankful for what we have -- but are you suggesting that artists want people censoring their responses to their work?  Is that what you're suggesting members do."  Then above you say, "If you don't like someme's sketch, that's fine.  I see no reason not to talk about that here"
Which is it?    As for the difference between sketch, illustration and drawing, I don't know the difference really.  All I know is that his submitted work is sub-par to virtually everything else I've seen.  And I stand by that opinion.  If others want to try to justify it, that's their right too.

Online lucidjc

« Reply #125 on: February 23, 2012, 12:36:45 AM »
Back to our regularly scheduled program...

I only had time to open 1 box so far   ;D

Offline 70s_Kid

« Reply #126 on: February 23, 2012, 03:39:41 AM »
Back to our regularly scheduled program...

I only had time to open 1 box so far   ;D

Coolest Color sketch so far !  You lucky dog !!   :o

Offline weirdo1

« Reply #127 on: February 23, 2012, 03:55:00 AM »

It came in an envelope like the other sketch cards.  Redemption card for rough art "Behead"

Offline 70s_Kid

« Reply #128 on: February 23, 2012, 04:05:44 AM »
It came in an envelope like the other sketch cards.  Redemption card for rough art "Behead"

Wow!  Is a pic possible?

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #129 on: February 23, 2012, 04:55:38 AM »

Was  the 'golden ticket' instead of a sketch card, or in addition to a sketch card?  I saw you also got a Lynch sketch, so you really beat the odds!!  Did you order a lot of boxes?

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #130 on: February 23, 2012, 09:10:27 AM »
Coolest Color sketch so far !  You lucky dog !!   :o

That is a sweet one but so far my favorite colored one is this one that's on ebay........

Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #131 on: February 23, 2012, 09:20:09 AM »
Ordered another box. Here's the sketch I got. I kinda like the psychedelic feel to this one...

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #132 on: February 23, 2012, 09:24:33 AM »
That is a sweet one but so far my favorite colored one is this one that's on ebay........

Wow!  That's a neat one!

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #133 on: February 23, 2012, 09:38:01 AM »
In another quote you say, " So, im all for being thankful for what we have -- but are you suggesting that artists want people censoring their responses to their work?  Is that what you're suggesting members do."  Then above you say, "If you don't like someme's sketch, that's fine.  I see no reason not to talk about that here"
Which is it?    As for the difference between sketch, illustration and drawing, I don't know the difference really.  All I know is that his submitted work is sub-par to virtually everything else I've seen.  And I stand by that opinion.  If others want to try to justify it, that's their right too.

Which is what? 

I think you can stand by disliking it, and by his being the only sketches you don't like.  I just think when you extrapolate your emotional response to his art, and turn that into a definition of the artist's work ethic is unfair and unreasonable.  All you know is, is that you dislike his work.  Disliking art reveals nothing about the artist or what they put into the art you dislike.

Also, you admit to not seeing or knowing the difference between sketch, illustration, and drawing.  You are essentially criticizing the artist not for doing the job he was hired to, but for not doing another job you wished he would do of his own accord. 

Again though, dislike it, but please don't equate that dislike to an indictment of the artistic effort.

Online lucidjc

« Reply #134 on: February 23, 2012, 12:22:22 PM »

Simko did an outstanding job on these and all of his i have seen so far. Great job Joe!

Offline kidwacky

« Reply #135 on: February 23, 2012, 12:48:21 PM »
The is the two I pulled.

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #136 on: February 23, 2012, 03:28:49 PM »
Here are the four sketches I pulled.

aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Online lucidjc

« Reply #137 on: February 23, 2012, 03:34:45 PM »
Here are the four sketches I pulled.

2 Camera Gulps, no way!  Way to many doubles for 6 box orders. But if thats the case, i sure hope i get another Simko color!

Offline weirdo1

« Reply #138 on: February 23, 2012, 04:19:21 PM »

A few more sketches and a "Golden Ticket" for rough art.  Could someone explain exactly what rough art is and how it is used in the concept/production of a set.  Thanks.

Offline weirdo1

« Reply #139 on: February 23, 2012, 04:23:11 PM »
Was  the 'golden ticket' instead of a sketch card, or in addition to a sketch card?  I saw you also got a Lynch sketch, so you really beat the odds!!  Did you order a lot of boxes?

The redemption card was in place of a sketch card.  There's a hologram on the back of the card.  I've opened 30 boxes.

anything