Author Topic: Gary / Head & Boulders  (Read 72727 times)

Offline Sue Mee

• and Sometimes I'm LipOff
Re: Gary / Head & Boulders
« Reply #70 on: January 31, 2012, 02:58:35 PM »
any updates as to how Gary is doing??

No, unfortunately this is going to be a long, slow process. The last I heard, Gary is still on a respirator and his jaw wires still in.   I look forward to the day that I log on here and see that he has posted something new here.

Sue Mee is AKA LipOff
My Home-Made Wackys

Offline eman

• Erik Bowen (aka eman)
« Reply #71 on: February 01, 2012, 02:05:42 PM »
Sorry to hear about Gary.  He is a pretty cool guy.  I've done some trades with him before and I really enjoy his homemades.  Don't know if Kindred hospital there is the same as it is here but it is what is called an LTAC (long-term acute care) hospital.  It would be kind of like a big Intensive Care Unit where you may stay for an extended period of time.  I'm hoping he gets to get out of that and into some sort of physical rehab center soon. 

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #72 on: February 01, 2012, 02:15:48 PM »
No, unfortunately this is going to be a long, slow process. The last I heard, Gary is still on a respirator and his jaw wires still in.   I look forward to the day that I log on here and see that he has posted something new here.

Thanks much, for keeping us up to date during all this.
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline Playbug

• Visit my website !
    • jeffxmusic.com
« Reply #73 on: February 01, 2012, 05:32:22 PM »

Thanks for keeping us informed. Also looking forward to a new Gary post. Hope he gets to that point soon as well.
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World

Offline Sue Mee

« Reply #74 on: February 04, 2012, 04:05:40 PM »
Thanks for keeping us informed. Also looking forward to a new Gary post. Hope he gets to that point soon as well.

I just learned today that all of the things we've sent him have been seen and appreciated by Gary.   The big greeting card and the Giant Wackies were "well received".  The Dayton address is the place to send stuff for the time being.
Sue Mee is AKA LipOff
My Home-Made Wackys

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #75 on: February 04, 2012, 06:08:34 PM »
That's awesome. Thanks for keeping us updated! I hope we helped cheer up Gary. Now if I could only get Gene Simmons to show up.........

Offline Sue Mee

« Reply #76 on: February 04, 2012, 06:31:42 PM »
That's awesome. Thanks for keeping us updated! I hope we helped cheer up Gary. Now if I could only get Gene Simmons to show up.........

That would be cool if we could somehow get one or more of Kiss to make a surprise visit.
Sue Mee is AKA LipOff
My Home-Made Wackys

Offline Playbug

• Visit my website !
    • jeffxmusic.com
« Reply #77 on: February 05, 2012, 08:46:38 AM »
That's great to hear about Gary that he seen and appreciated. Even if he progressing slowly, at least he's stable and progressing.

Taz

« Reply #78 on: February 05, 2012, 08:50:49 AM »
That would be cool if we could somehow get one or more of Kiss to make a surprise visit.

Gary as much as he likes KISS does favor former member Ace Frehley as it was also his favorite member of the band. Try this website to create a customiozed card:

http://www.zazzle.com/kissmerch/cards

wackadoodle

« Reply #79 on: February 05, 2012, 09:53:39 AM »
hey:

i just went on Ace Frehley's website and asked him if he would send Gary a signed pic!! cross your fingers....

Offline DrSushi

« Reply #80 on: February 05, 2012, 12:57:25 PM »
What if we try to get one of his homemades turned into a real-life Wacky? I bet that would raise his spirits.

wackadoodle

« Reply #81 on: February 05, 2012, 02:01:11 PM »
thats  a GREAT idea..Slamjim?? you out there???? thats a VERY COOL idea..Gary can draw pretty well from what i have seen..and has always been in the Wacky spirit with his artistic enthusiasm..he ought to be a Wacky artist/writer..:)

wackadoodle

« Reply #82 on: February 12, 2012, 09:41:55 AM »
have you heard ant new updates on gary???

Offline Sue Mee

« Reply #83 on: February 13, 2012, 07:45:02 PM »
have you heard ant new updates on gary???

Only that he got the rest of his jaw wires removed and that his fever is fairly stabilized.  Wish I had more news than that, but it's a slow process. 

I hope to learn more later this week. 
Sue Mee is AKA LipOff
My Home-Made Wackys

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #84 on: February 13, 2012, 07:52:50 PM »
Only that he got the rest of his jaw wires removed and that his fever is fairly stabilized.  Wish I had more news than that, but it's a slow process. 

Seems like he's moving in the right direction, anyway. Thanks for anything you can pass on to us.

Offline Playbug

• Visit my website !
    • jeffxmusic.com
« Reply #85 on: February 13, 2012, 08:24:08 PM »

Yes, any information - especially in the right direction of recovery - is great to hear !

Offline Sue Mee

« Reply #86 on: February 13, 2012, 08:26:04 PM »
Yes, any information - especially in the right direction of recovery - is great to hear !

Also saw that he is done with chemo treatment for a couple of weeks.
Sue Mee is AKA LipOff
My Home-Made Wackys

Offline Playbug

• Visit my website !
    • jeffxmusic.com
« Reply #87 on: February 13, 2012, 08:31:26 PM »
Also saw that he is done with chemo treatment for a couple of weeks.

Chemo treatment for a car accident?

Offline Sue Mee

« Reply #88 on: February 13, 2012, 08:43:01 PM »
Chemo treatment for a car accident?

I guess they use chemo on spinal injuries.... I didn't know that either.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2012, 08:50:06 PM by Sue Mee »
Sue Mee is AKA LipOff
My Home-Made Wackys

Offline Sue Mee

« Reply #89 on: February 17, 2012, 01:35:25 AM »
update.... Gary is being moved for a day or few to a new facility so that a  gastro-enterologist can fix his feeding tube.  should only be there a bit and then back to where he's been the last week or two.

more info as I learn it.
Sue Mee is AKA LipOff
My Home-Made Wackys

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #90 on: February 17, 2012, 07:05:07 AM »
This is really serious. I wonder how his life will be after the accident. Will he walk again? Will he be a paraplegic?

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #91 on: February 17, 2012, 09:57:12 AM »
This is really serious. I wonder how his life will be after the accident. Will he walk again? Will he be a paraplegic?

Sounds like no matter how you slice it his life will never be the same.  He probably has a long road of recovery ahead of him.
Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #92 on: February 17, 2012, 10:53:55 AM »
Sounds like no matter how you slice it his life will never be the same.  He probably has a long road of recovery ahead of him.
Keyword here is "life". It sounds like things will be tough for him, but he's still here. After seeing the photos of the accident, I think he's lucky to be here.

Offline deadpresidentsvisa

« Reply #93 on: February 17, 2012, 02:12:15 PM »
So what in the original post about Gary made you think this was something less than serious?
"DID YOU TRY MONKEYING WITH IT" FROM *THE HOT ROCK*....ROBERT REDFORD...ZERO MOSTEL

Offline Sue Mee

« Reply #94 on: February 24, 2012, 06:08:08 PM »

Update 2-24-2012

Gary is back at Kindred Hospital after having some surgical procedures regarding his feeding tube done in Kettering, OH.
He's more alert and seems to be enjoying his new bed.

The address for cards and gifts is:
Gary Browning / Patient
Kindred Hospital-Dayton
1 Elizabeth Place
Room 510
Dayton, OH 45417
Sue Mee is AKA LipOff
My Home-Made Wackys

Taz

« Reply #95 on: February 24, 2012, 06:15:31 PM »
Thanks for the update Kris.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #96 on: February 24, 2012, 09:14:20 PM »
Hey everyone,
I have spoken with Kris today and a few have messaged me about what to do with all the donations. People wonder since we have collected quite a bit is it wise to spend them all on Wackys or should we get him some Wackys and send the rest of the cash as a check.
I'm on the fence about this and will discuss more with Kris, since he is so close to the situation.
Here are my thoughts. Gary is a brother forum member and collector. Since this hobby can't really be understood by others outside this forum would anything we do make any practicle sense? We are not practicle. I think we spend all of the money on Wackys regardless of how many boxes Gary will get. If he gets 20 boxes, who cares? Do I think it's a waste of money? Hell no! Do any of you? . To pull a Head and boulders sketch would be huge for him. Gary has been close to death and I don't know if he is out of the woods yet. When he sees a huge box of Wackys he has never seen his spirits will be raised to a high he hasn't seen in awhile. I believe it's up to us to use the hobby to lift his spirits and let his community to raise money for the family. this is what we do and a lot of people have been very generous with their donations. I, personally, am very moved. I didn't know Gary very well but I would do this for any forum member. It's what we do. We help out other collectors. Gary's life and his family will never be the same so if we can do something totally outrageous by sending him a shit load of boxes I'm all for it.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 12:38:15 AM by BumChex »

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #97 on: February 25, 2012, 04:08:03 AM »
Hey everyone,
I have spoken with Kris today and a few have messaged me about what to do with all the donations. People wonder since we have collected quite a bit is it wise to spend them all on Wackys or should we get him some Wackys and send the rest of the cash as a check.
I'm on the fence about this and will discuss more with Kris, since he is so close to the situation.
Here are my thoughts. Gary is a brother forum member and collector. Since this hobby can't really be understood by others outside this forum would anything we do make any practicle sense? We are not practicle. I think we spend all of the money on Wackys regardless of how many boxes Gary will get. If he gets 20 boxes, who cares? Do I think it's a waste of money? Hell no! Do any of you? . To pull a Head and boulders sketch would be huge for him. Gary has been close to death and I don't know if he is out of the woods yet. When he sees a huge box of Wackys he has never seen his spirits will be raised to a high he hasn't seen in awhile. I believe it's up to us to use the hobby to lift his spirits and let his community to raise money for the family. this is what we do and a lot of people have been very generous with their donations. I, personally, am very moved. I didn't know Gary very well but I would do this for any forum member. It's what we do. We help out other collectors. Gary's life and his family will never be the same so if we can do something totally outrageous by sending him a shit load of boxes I'm all for it.

I was actually going to PM you about this issue today.  I think a master set in a binder, maybe with a Head and Boulders sketch, would be enough Wackys, and the rest would be better as cash.  His family must be having financial difficulties by this point, and from what I've read here about his injuries, he could very well need some modifications done to his house for a return home.  And, for someone with serious injuries, confined to a hospital bed, with feeding tubes, etc., opening all those boxes and packs could actually be a problem.  The hospital staff may not appreciate it, either.  Perhaps I'm too practical, but that's how I see this.

Offline Monsterettes

« Reply #98 on: February 25, 2012, 08:06:54 AM »
I was actually going to PM you about this issue today.  I think a master set in a binder, maybe with a Head and Boulders sketch, would be enough Wackys, and the rest would be better as cash.  His family must be having financial difficulties by this point, and from what I've read here about his injuries, he could very well need some modifications done to his house for a return home.  And, for someone with serious injuries, confined to a hospital bed, with feeding tubes, etc., opening all those boxes and packs could actually be a problem.  The hospital staff may not appreciate it, either.  Perhaps I'm too practical, but that's how I see this.
I've been thinking about this too, and agree with Pat.  I've been reading his Facebook page and there do seem to be money issues -- there was mention of all the discontinuation notices he's been getting for unpaid bills.  Money is practical rather than joy-inducing, but if there were wackys plus funds, it could be the best of both worlds.

Taz

« Reply #99 on: February 25, 2012, 08:24:56 AM »
I agree to a point on the monetary donation but the little we give just won't do much to be effective.  We never found out if Topps had sent Gary anything at all.  Keep in mind that Gary's family does not personally know any of us here so getting a small donation may not seem to be as uplifting as if Gary got a huge gift of wacky boxes from the forum he knows so well.  At this point it's about lifting Gary's spirits so for a family to see him smile I bet would be the most important thing right now.

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #100 on: February 25, 2012, 08:34:50 AM »
I agree with Pat and Elizabeth on this, but I see Taz's point, too. Here's my thought: Why not help Gary and his family the way they'd prefer vs. making that our choice? Maybe Kris could pose these options and see what they think is the most beneficial for all?

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #101 on: February 25, 2012, 09:02:44 AM »
I agree with Pat and Elizabeth on this, but I see Taz's point, too. Here's my thought: Why not help Gary and his family the way they'd prefer vs. making that our choice? Maybe Kris could pose these options and see what they think is the most beneficial for all?

I was figuring that sending an assembled set in a binder would lift his spirits, without putting a burden on people to open boxes and packs, and then collate sets under very difficult circumstances. 

I agree that aasking his family is the best way to go, if Kris can do that for us.

As for Topps, I thought it was oddly coincedental that the Kiss Kat art auction was stopped right around when we were talking about sending Gary Wackys to cheer him up, and was hoping that was because Topps sent him the painting.

Offline Sue Mee

« Reply #102 on: February 25, 2012, 09:06:37 AM »
I was figuring that sending an assembled set in a binder would lift his spirits, without putting a burden on people to open boxes and packs, and then collate sets under very difficult circumstances.  

I agree that aasking his family is the best way to go, if Kris can do that for us.

As for Topps, I thought it was oddly coincedental that the Kiss Kat art auction was stopped right around when we were talking about sending Gary Wackys to cheer him up, and was hoping that was because Topps sent him the painting.

I hope to have some feedback from Gary's family later on today.  

That would be great if Topps sent the Kiss Kat art to Gary. I'll try to find that out too.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 09:56:49 AM by Sue Mee »
Sue Mee is AKA LipOff
My Home-Made Wackys

Taz

« Reply #103 on: February 25, 2012, 09:41:52 AM »

If we go this route and you are looking for a Head & Boulders sketch card I would be happy to donate the one I received in my Old School 3 boxes:
[expando]http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc13/lps4knk/HB001.jpg[/expando]

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #104 on: February 25, 2012, 09:58:50 AM »
If we go this route and you are looking for a Head & Boulders sketch card I would be happy to donate the one I received in my Old School 3 boxes
Wow, man, that's really generous of you!

anything