Author Topic: Selling entire collection,the passion is gone.  (Read 5590 times)

Offline ROID

Selling entire collection,the passion is gone.
« on: December 01, 2011, 06:44:42 AM »
Selling my entire collection of wackys,package parodies & silly supermarkets. After the death of my friend last year I'm just not feeling it anymore. Will post complete list tomorrow after I go through everything.

Offline Playbug

• Visit my website !
    • jeffxmusic.com
Re: Selling entire collection,the passion is gone.
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2011, 09:09:51 AM »
Sorry to hear about your friend. Best wishes for you in this tough time.
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2011, 10:13:45 AM »
Selling my entire collection of wackys,package parodies & silly supermarkets. After the death of my friend last year I'm just not feeling it anymore. Will post complete list tomorrow after I go through everything.

Are you sure you want to dump your collection so fast?  Maybe you should sit on it for a year or so and see if your thoughts change.  If you decided to get back into it a couple years later you would have to start from scratch again.  Was the friend you lost in the hobby?
Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2011, 10:53:53 AM »
Are you sure you want to dump your collection so fast?  Maybe you should sit on it for a year or so and see if your thoughts change.  If you decided to get back into it a couple years later you would have to start from scratch again.  Was the friend you lost in the hobby?

I totally agree. Take some time off. You may be surprised in a year of so unless you need the money now.

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2011, 02:07:27 PM »
I'd agree that you should think it through. 

At the same time, there is something that can be cathartic and healthy about divesting oneself of a collection.  They are just things, after all, and as wonderful and fun as they can be, letting go of them can make room for something new and better in your life.
Jason Liebig - A swell TV host (currently on History Channel) who used to oversee Marvel Comics' X-Men - now creator and curator of WishbookWeb.com and CollectingCandy.com, a celebration of candy packaging, marketing and the people behind it all

Offline FourRoses

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2011, 11:23:35 AM »
One of the worst things to do as an enthusiast is to believe you'll never have a passion for something again thus causing you to sell everything associated with said hobby. When you finally get the passion and interest back, you realize how much work you put into it and how much you'll have to put in again in order to get back to square one.

Online Hustler08

• I Hustle for Wacky Packs!!!
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2011, 11:50:00 AM »
One of the worst things to do as an enthusiast is to believe you'll never have a passion for something again thus causing you to sell everything associated with said hobby. When you finally get the passion and interest back, you realize how much work you put into it and how much you'll have to put in again in order to get back to square one.

Along those lines I think he should just put the collection away in a safe spot where he won't see it daily for a reminder and "out of sight out of mind" - so it will be there if he ever decides to take it back up again...if he needs the money - that is another thing...otherwise sell some things and see how it "feels" ...

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2011, 12:50:17 PM »
That is how I got into this hobby. I didn't have any Wacky's saved from my childhood. Then in early 2004 a friend of mine who kept all my non-sport cards that we traded back in the late 70's gave them to me. I was floored to see the Wacky reruns. I had series 1 and 2 and didn't even know they made 3 & 4. That is when I went a bit crazy...LOL

Online Hustler08

• I Hustle for Wacky Packs!!!
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2011, 01:42:02 PM »
That is how I got into this hobby. I didn't have any Wacky's saved from my childhood. Then in early 2004 a friend of mine who kept all my non-sport cards that we traded back in the late 70's gave them to me. I was floored to see the Wacky reruns. I had series 1 and 2 and didn't even know they made 3 & 4. That is when I went a bit crazy...LOL

See that...there you go... ;D

Offline Porkie

• Looking for *Irish Test* cards!
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2011, 02:22:20 PM »

Ha! Here I thought I was one of the only people who only got back into them recently. Last I saw of them were some of the early 79/80 reruns, not even knowing exactly what they were. Fast forward to 2009 when I decided on a whim to look up Wackys one night on an iPhone. Bought a signed red Wacky book from Greg and a bag of ANS's and then I went crazy!

I would follow some of the advice others have left and just "put them away" for awhile (again, unless money is an issue). You may find down the road your love for them and the good times you shared with your friend is something you'll want to get back into in a new way.

Best of luck whatever path you take.

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2011, 02:26:53 PM »
You certainly don't want to find yourself regretting anything.  But really, if you feel it's time, it's time.

A lesson in collecting, and a lesson in life, is that if you're holding onto what you have so tightly, you're don't leave yourself open to anything new.  I LOVE nostalgia, but like anything, you can drown in it, and at that point, it stops being a positive thing.  

If you got rid of everything, what's the worst that would happen?  You have to hunt for it all over again?  Maybe some pieces you won't be able to replace?  That's not so bad, especially if it's the time to do it.  

Looking at a store room full of collectibles can be a wonderful thing - it can also be an anchor.  

I'm still at the point where letting go of anything from my collection has a twinge of pain attached to it.  It's silly, of course, because I don't need any of it, and I rarely see 95% of what I have.  But I can see a point where I'll want to shake a lot of it off, and only hold onto a few of my favorite things.  

Even if you dump your whole collection, it wouldn't keep you from remembering them or talking with your friends about them.  

Only you can decide what's right for you, and when.  
Jason Liebig - A swell TV host (currently on History Channel) who used to oversee Marvel Comics' X-Men - now creator and curator of WishbookWeb.com and CollectingCandy.com, a celebration of candy packaging, marketing and the people behind it all

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2011, 02:27:00 PM »
Depending on what's in the collection, it may not be worth selling anyway. Unless there are some nice vintage items, I don't think there's too much demand at this point.

Offline hurricanes

« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2011, 04:15:30 PM »
I have thought of doing this with my sports card collection but always pull back because dont need the money at this time.
Always feel(as others have said), may get resurgence in interest again and then will feel bad I let my pieces go.

Offline ROID

« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2011, 12:53:05 PM »
I appreciate all the advice and opinions but still have decided to sell my collection. I have made the decision to get back into my outdoor sports again. Thanks everyone.

O.S- SER. 1-15
1979/1980 Reprints- all 4 sets complete
1982,1985,1986- complete     1991- complete w/ variations,tattoo skins & Barf's  1982 collector's album-unused
ANS1-complete w/ 3 promos.Goodbye Kitty P1 sticker,3 promo sticker strip
ANS2-complete w/ B3,B4,B5,B6,B7,Spitterman promo,mini collector's album
ANS3- complete w/ all chase & bonus cards
ANS4-complete w/ all chase & bonus cards.Superham promo and red mini collector's album
ANS5-complete w/ all foils,magnets & bonus cards  (do not have the back variations)
ANS6- complete w/ all MYO,WITB,foils,bonus and P1 Quiet Pupsi promo card
FB1 & FB2- all base,lents,green,pink & silver parallels and bonus cards,FB2 promo Commie

Offline gumby8691

« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2011, 06:57:22 PM »
Hi,
Are you planning on selling your cards/sets on the forum? I would be interested in some of what you have posted.
Cheers,
g