Author Topic: Sketch Card "Blow outs"  (Read 16105 times)

Offline wackyman

• ^ GOD is spelled wrong, should say DEVIL ^
    • World Of Wackies
Sketch Card "Blow outs"
« on: March 21, 2010, 01:28:57 PM »
So which of you is selling / sold  the mega packs on Ebay?

Current listing 13 sketch cards: http://cgi.ebay.com/WACKY-PACKAGES-OLD-SCHOOL-SKETCH-CARD-BLOWOUT-13CARDS_W0QQitemZ140393081092QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item20b0146904

Closed Listing 10 sketch cards: http://cgi.ebay.com/WACKY-PACKAGES-OLD-SCHOOL-SKETCH-CARD-BLOWOUT-10_W0QQitemZ140392225243QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item20b00759db

I'm curious with what these individual cards are selling for (Teacher, Pupsi, Gadzooka Boy, etc) why this person is selling them in lots instead of singles. Wish I had an extra $300 I'd snag the 13 card lot in a sec lol.

Speaking of which, I've sold my Teacher, Gadzooka Boy and Demented sketches, I have my nitwit up now (cross yer fingers for me)

-Jay-

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
Re: Sketch Card "Blow outs"
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2010, 02:08:26 PM »
So which of you is selling / sold  the mega packs on Ebay?

Current listing 13 sketch cards: http://cgi.ebay.com/WACKY-PACKAGES-OLD-SCHOOL-SKETCH-CARD-BLOWOUT-13CARDS_W0QQitemZ140393081092QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item20b0146904

Closed Listing 10 sketch cards: http://cgi.ebay.com/WACKY-PACKAGES-OLD-SCHOOL-SKETCH-CARD-BLOWOUT-10_W0QQitemZ140392225243QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item20b00759db

I'm curious with what these individual cards are selling for (Teacher, Pupsi, Gadzooka Boy, etc) why this person is selling them in lots instead of singles. Wish I had an extra $300 I'd snag the 13 card lot in a sec lol.

Speaking of which, I've sold my Teacher, Gadzooka Boy and Demented sketches, I have my nitwit up now (cross yer fingers for me)

-Jay-
The 13 card lot is mine. Those are all doubles and I have probably close to 20 more doubles  :o

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2010, 02:12:06 PM »
The 13 card lot is mine. Those are all doubles and I have probably close to 20 more doubles  :o

Have you considered trying to build a full character set to sell? 
Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2010, 02:15:08 PM »
Have you considered trying to build a full character set to sell? 

I think it might be too tough with a couple of the B & W sketches tough to get. I am building my own keep set of individual sketches though with no thoughts on selling (this moment anyway)

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2010, 02:20:06 PM »
I think it might be too tough with a couple of the B & W sketches tough to get. I am building my own keep set of individual sketches though with no thoughts on selling (this moment anyway)

According to the estimated quantities there should be more of the tough ones surfacing.  If they don't we have to assume there are a substantial amount of collectors not on the forums who bought Old School that we will never see.  If that's not the case where are they all?  I believe John's count puts us around 10-15% of the total count but according to Dave they are around 75% sold, so where are the other 60% of them?

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2010, 02:30:51 PM »
According to the estimated quantities there should be more of the tough ones surfacing.  If they don't we have to assume there are a substantial amount of collectors not on the forums who bought Old School that we will never see.  If that's not the case where are they all?  I believe John's count puts us around 10-15% of the total count but according to Dave they are around 75% sold, so where are the other 60% of them?
Like the Flashbacks, I think they are in the hands of a vast audience of collectors that have no interest in participating in a web forum. Wacky Packs is the only hobby of which I joined a forum. As much as I am into other things, I have no desire to join forums for them. Or forthems forum.

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2010, 03:07:17 PM »
Like the Flashbacks, I think they are in the hands of a vast audience of collectors that have no interest in participating in a web forum. Wacky Packs is the only hobby of which I joined a forum. As much as I am into other things, I have no desire to join forums for them. Or forthems forum.
Interestingly, few of those non-forum collectors are putting their sketches on ebay, I find that to be odd as often there is at least 10% who merely wanted to get the set and have no interest in the promos and chase cards. 
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline bandaches

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2010, 03:08:30 PM »
I need a bunch of the common ones and have been waiting for the prices to drop so I can pick them up in one shot for a good deal.  Also, if I get tempted to buy more boxes in hopes of getting some rare sketches, if I get commons, in some cases, they will fill holes in my collection.
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2010, 06:23:01 PM »
I need a bunch of the common ones and have been waiting for the prices to drop so I can pick them up in one shot for a good deal.  Also, if I get tempted to buy more boxes in hopes of getting some rare sketches, if I get commons, in some cases, they will fill holes in my collection.

I think you asked about he other collector and that is Sportsfreak on ebay. The one she pulled is the Gadzooka teacher and has a blurb that says 'no gum'. So it's an variant of the other B & W's.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2010, 06:28:08 PM »

That is true but you also have to realize these are not sold in stores so a lot of collectors that don't follow this forum may not know where to buy them. Why would someone pay $90 for a box when they can get it for $48 from Topps? I think quite a few of the forum member made up a lot of those sales. I would probably put it as high as 70%. The word is really just getting out over the last couple weeks. I would imagine the boxes will be gone soon so make sure you keep some sealed!  ;)

Offline BaudLight

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2010, 08:46:50 PM »
I would guess that there are also several non-forum members who are also non-collectors that are buying boxes of them, to remain unopened, and offered for sale further down the road, after Topps has finally sold out of them.  A few years from now, I wonder what an unopened box would sell for.  A bit of a gamble maybe.

BaudLight

Offline bandaches

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2010, 09:24:57 PM »
I think you asked about he other collector and that is Sportsfreak on ebay. The one she pulled is the Gadzooka teacher and has a blurb that says 'no gum'. So it's an variant of the other B & W's.
Sportsfreak doesn't seem all that schooled on wackys.  She was hard pressed to identify characters and sketches.  Is this just someone investing in these and blowing them out to wacky collectors like Cardgarys?

Offline wackyman

• World Of Wackies
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2010, 11:06:59 PM »
Sportsfreak doesn't seem all that schooled on wackys.  She was hard pressed to identify characters and sketches.  Is this just someone investing in these and blowing them out to wacky collectors like Cardgarys?

I'm hella confused here now lol....

If Sportsfreak is a "she"  then why did Brad say the 13 sketch thing was his,  when that 13 card thing is sportsfreak's auction

someone fill the new guy in please lol

-Jay-

Offline wackyman

• World Of Wackies
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2010, 11:11:16 PM »
PS

whoever Sportsfreak is they  bought my nitwit card a few hours ago

which is one of the reason's I'm really confused lol

-Jay-

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2010, 11:17:42 PM »
That is true but you also have to realize these are not sold in stores so a lot of collectors that don't follow this forum may not know where to buy them. Why would someone pay $90 for a box when they can get it for $48 from Topps? I think quite a few of the forum member made up a lot of those sales. I would probably put it as high as 70%. The word is really just getting out over the last couple weeks. I would imagine the boxes will be gone soon so make sure you keep some sealed!  ;)
You're right about hiding away some sealed boxes. They will be very scarce in a short time and in greater demand when series 2 hits. But there's no way forum members bought 2500+ boxes. We would be considered the life support of the product line. There's only about 100 active members on the forum. If forum members alone could sustain a series existence then they'd all have to buy about 30 boxes each to justify production. Dave tells me Topps is mostly selling single boxes to unrecognized names. That means mostly non-forum members. Maybe 5-7 sketch hunters bought around 25-75 boxes each but that's only about 350 boxes. Just a dent.

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2010, 11:22:20 PM »
Interestingly, few of those non-forum collectors are putting their sketches on ebay, I find that to be odd as often there is at least 10% who merely wanted to get the set and have no interest in the promos and chase cards. 

Another question (one I ask myself) is, "why are the most hardcore bunch of Wacky collectors selling their color sketch cards and various other hot items?" I suppose this forum does NOT represent the hardcore collectors. It represents SOCIAL collectors.

Offline DrSushi

« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2010, 05:32:36 AM »
PS

whoever Sportsfreak is they  bought my nitwit card a few hours ago

which is one of the reason's I'm really confused lol

-Jay-

Nice! I have a nitwit myself and was thinking of putting it up on eBay. I was also thinking I might use your listing, but maybe I should ask for permission to use your content.

Offline wackyman

• World Of Wackies
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2010, 05:51:45 AM »
Nice! I have a nitwit myself and was thinking of putting it up on eBay. I was also thinking I might use your listing, but maybe I should ask for permission to use your content.

Go ahead, feel free,  my listing was made up of bits and pieces of the 3 other nitwits that closed before mine went up,

I took a bit from here and a bit from there.

Even if you want to copy the entire thing just make sure you leave out the red text lol

-Jay-

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2010, 08:08:43 AM »
Another question (one I ask myself) is, "why are the most hardcore bunch of Wacky collectors selling their color sketch cards and various other hot items?" I suppose this forum does NOT represent the hardcore collectors. It represents SOCIAL collectors.

For me it's about obtaining the most without spending too much. The colors are very nice and I would love to have one in my collection but I can turn that card and any other one-offs for break even point. Basically I have close the the full set of B & W sketches and about 30 double sketches. A pile of 5X7's and colored logo's and I have broken even on the whole thing. That is really what drives me. I did that with flashbacks and have a bunch of golds that I wanted for my collection plus about 5 silver sets of each series and I broke even on the whole thing. That's the game for me anyway. It's just fun cracking packs to pull a rare card. I love the excitement.

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2010, 08:58:01 AM »
You're right about hiding away some sealed boxes. They will be very scarce in a short time and in greater demand when series 2 hits. But there's no way forum members bought 2500+ boxes. We would be considered the life support of the product line. There's only about 100 active members on the forum. If forum members alone could sustain a series existence then they'd all have to buy about 30 boxes each to justify production. Dave tells me Topps is mostly selling single boxes to unrecognized names. That means mostly non-forum members. Maybe 5-7 sketch hunters bought around 25-75 boxes each but that's only about 350 boxes. Just a dent.

I would agree with your estimate……….it doesn't make sense that 70% of them came from forum members. 

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2010, 09:03:43 AM »
For me it's about obtaining the most without spending too much. The colors are very nice and I would love to have one in my collection but I can turn that card and any other one-offs for break even point. Basically I have close the the full set of B & W sketches and about 30 double sketches. A pile of 5X7's and colored logo's and I have broken even on the whole thing. That is really what drives me. I did that with flashbacks and have a bunch of golds that I wanted for my collection plus about 5 silver sets of each series and I broke even on the whole thing. That's the game for me anyway. It's just fun cracking packs to pull a rare card. I love the excitement.

It is fun and exciting having the chance of getting a special card.  That's the way it is in today's hobby.  The rare vintage Wacky's were unintentional unlike the way it is now, but that doesn't mean collecting today can't be fun.  I've had a blast with everything after 2004 but I still enjoy collecting the vintage Wacky's.   

Offline Sunstroke

• My Website
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2010, 09:29:59 AM »
If I got a color sketch, I would sell it. I can not justify having a card worth $500-$1000 in my current financial position. It would suck to sell it, but I would fold $200 back into other cards & bank the rest. Maybe someday I can afford to go after them down the road.
Looking for Saunders Art cards: Especially Wackies, Frankenstein stickers, Mars Attacks & Battle

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2010, 10:39:28 AM »
I would agree with your estimate……….it doesn't make sense that 70% of them came from forum members. 

I wouldn't say forum members exactly even though they could be but just not participating. There are a couple big buyers such as Card Gary & Sportsfreak that are not on the forum. I didn't go back and read what I posted but if I said forum members I mis-stated. I just meant a majority of big time collectors and not a bunch of random individuals because these are not available retail so they would have to know to go to topps online store.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2010, 10:43:03 AM »
It is fun and exciting having the chance of getting a special card.  That's the way it is in today's hobby.  The rare vintage Wacky's were unintentional unlike the way it is now, but that doesn't mean collecting today can't be fun.  I've had a blast with everything after 2004 but I still enjoy collecting the vintage Wacky's.   

I remember posting in the other forum back in around 2005 that it would be cool for Topps to do the chase cards with Wacky's and I got a round of groans from that idea ^-^
With the ANS stuff I would just buy a few boxes and complete some sets. Now with the golds and sketches I am buying cases. It really is fun pulling the tough cards. A person get's so damn excited  ;D

Offline bandaches

« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2010, 02:59:32 PM »
Why are you equating the selling of hot items with the lack of hard coreness?  Hard Core = must keep items that people are paying $1000 to get??  I guess I disagree with your definition of hard core.  If a person wouldn't spend $1000 to get a color sketch then why wouldn't they sell it to get $1000 and then pour some of it back in for items they DO want?

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2010, 03:28:56 PM »

I think Ernie makes a good point, but so do you. 

I'm sure a lot of people who collect Wacky Packages have little desire to socialize with other collectors, and the forum clearly represnents the more social members of our hobby, hardcore and otherwise.  It's a bit different, but I can tell you that a few of the bigger cereal/packaging collectors are quite hermit-like - leading to rumors of what their collections might house...

To Ernie's point, a further question might be, what constitues important to the "hardcore" collector? 

Sketch cards, even color ones, may not seem nearly as important to someone who considers themselves hardcore, as original paintings, and as we've already discussed, color sketches have been selling for more than a few of the paintings.  I am not a hardcore Wacky Packages colector, but I'd imagine if I was, I'd happily sell a couple color sketches for a shot at an original sticker painting. 
Jason Liebig - A swell TV host (currently on History Channel) who used to oversee Marvel Comics' X-Men - now creator and curator of WishbookWeb.com and CollectingCandy.com, a celebration of candy packaging, marketing and the people behind it all

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2010, 03:45:14 PM »
Not to get this thread too far off point, but the discussion of "hardcore" Wacky Packages collectors got me thinking:

Those of you who have been around for 10-years or more in this hobby have seen a lot of discoveries, and "who has what" has been well-documented on Greg's forum, and the forums that preceeded it.  We all know that Eric Roberts has a lot of original artwork, and is clearly not an active member of any forum.  With things like the Whale-O's piece (and the Lipoff) popping up, seemingly out of nowhere, you have to wonder if there are collectors/collections out there that even the old-school, longtime collectors haven't encountered. 

I may not have a real point here, but it's fun to think about what could be sitting in some hermit-collector's Wacky troves...
Jason Liebig - A swell TV host (currently on History Channel) who used to oversee Marvel Comics' X-Men - now creator and curator of WishbookWeb.com and CollectingCandy.com, a celebration of candy packaging, marketing and the people behind it all

Offline DrSushi

« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2010, 04:26:23 PM »
Go ahead, feel free,  my listing was made up of bits and pieces of the 3 other nitwits that closed before mine went up,

I took a bit from here and a bit from there.

Even if you want to copy the entire thing just make sure you leave out the red text lol

-Jay-

Thanks, the listing certainly worked well for you. I didn't think the nitwits would go so high.

Offline Bigmuc13

« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2010, 12:12:15 PM »
Why are you equating the selling of hot items with the lack of hard coreness?  Hard Core = must keep items that people are paying $1000 to get??  I guess I disagree with your definition of hard core.  If a person wouldn't spend $1000 to get a color sketch then why wouldn't they sell it to get $1000 and then pour some of it back in for items they DO want?

Exactly.  I'd like to think of myself as a 'hardcore' collector. I've been at it since '03 and have bought and sold just about everything except OS art.  That said, I would flip a color sketch for the right price in a heartbeat!
Still looking for Series 17

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2010, 03:42:43 PM »
Exactly.  I'd like to think of myself as a 'hardcore' collector. I've been at it since '03 and have bought and sold just about everything except OS art.  That said, I would flip a color sketch for the right price in a heartbeat!

I see that a Pupsi sketch just sold for $27. There is no way I would sell it that cheap. I would rather keep it then get such a low price.
I wonder where all the other sketch cards are hiding? Dr. Popper is the latest one to show up on ebay. We haven't seen the umbrella girl for awhile and the only colored to show up in a week is Pupsi. Either we don't know about them or they are sitting in those 1000 boxes still at Topps.

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #30 on: March 23, 2010, 05:35:16 PM »
I see that a Pupsi sketch just sold for $27. There is no way I would sell it that cheap. I would rather keep it then get such a low price.
I wonder where all the other sketch cards are hiding? Dr. Popper is the latest one to show up on ebay. We haven't seen the umbrella girl for awhile and the only colored to show up in a week is Pupsi. Either we don't know about them or they are sitting in those 1000 boxes still at Topps.

I agree, even the ones that were done 200 times should be worth 25 bucks, and Pupsi appears to be maybe a 100 quantity title.  I will be fun applying estimated values to them if we ever get an actual count from Topps.   

wackyone

« Reply #31 on: March 24, 2010, 02:10:53 AM »

i saw that Pupsi go for $27 as well and it drives me nuts to think i paid $70 for one not 3 weeks ago,now they pop up all the time and i thought they were not so common at 1st

1000 boxes at Topps??...a few days ago it was under 200

Offline wackyman

• World Of Wackies
« Reply #32 on: March 24, 2010, 04:31:43 AM »
Thanks, the listing certainly worked well for you. I didn't think the nitwits would go so high.

That actually was all thanks to Brad, I've been using Ebay for MANY years, BUT I've never paid any attention to the left side of the page when looking at auctions, Brad pointed out to me "Completed Auctions" so when i was looking over the sketch cards I used that option and I watched that over the next 7 days.

in that timeframe I saw TWO nitwits go for OVER $200 (one was over $220, the other was $249 I think) I decided to list mine at a flat $200 with free shipping (like $7.00 lol) and it sold in less then 3 hours (The wife says I should of went higher but I was more then happy!)

All in all with the 4 cards I sold, I paid for ALL of my Olds boxes AND I still have 2 sketches left over (Chicken Fat & Hungry Jerk) so all in as I said I'm very happy with how things worked out,  I'm actually sort of glad I did not pull a color card, I would have wanted to keep it sooooo bad,  BUT with them selling for as much as they have been I would have HAD to sell it so I could pour more money into my collection.

-Jay-

Offline bandaches

« Reply #33 on: March 25, 2010, 08:08:50 AM »
I am curious about your comment here.  I thought you detested people who criticized the collectors of Gold Flashbacks and that the criticism should be directed only towards the gold flashback cards themselves.  Now here you are crticizing collectors based on an action they are taking as clearly some will take offense to being referred to as "non hardcore". Have you changed your stance and that it is now ok to criticize collectors based on their actions and hence criticizing the collectors of Gold flashbacks is fair game?

Offline FourRoses

« Reply #34 on: March 26, 2010, 08:28:51 AM »
I remember posting in the other forum back in around 2005 that it would be cool for Topps to do the chase cards with Wacky's and I got a round of groans from that idea ^-^

One may have a better opinion of chase cards if they kept a realistic view on collecting. We always hear the "I can't make a complete set" nonsense from a few people when it comes to golds, plates, sketch cards, etc.., and I find that to be complete poppycock.

anything