Author Topic: ebay Art Auctions  (Read 277748 times)

Offline Plan 9

Re: ebay Art Auctions
« Reply #350 on: February 01, 2011, 04:15:35 PM »
There has been no theft of pieces. Topps buys the art from us. After that they can sell them, hang them up, store them away or even burn them if they wanted to. Some executive recently decided to hang some up at the offices so he took a bunch of pieces from each series. I expect that to continue for a bit until he has enough or they figure out they are better off selling them. I managed to talk my way into keeping Just for Wolfmen and Ghoul Scouts which originally were going to be taken. It's bad for the artists because we may not get back a piece we really wanted and it's bad for the fans in that those pieces won't end up in their hands. However, it's hard to complain when it's their property to do as they please.
They ARE the property of Topps. Not the property of any particular employee of Topps. If there's a guy who's taking advantage of his position over there then maybe word should get around. If not then who cares.

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #351 on: February 01, 2011, 04:21:42 PM »
They ARE the property of Topps. Not the property of any particular employee of Topps. If there's a guy who's taking advantage of his position over there then maybe word should get around. If not then who cares.

Right, but he's not claiming them as his property. He's doing it with approval. Also, he's not hanging them in HIS office he's having them hung all around the Topps office. They feel having some of the paintings for the series (and they do this for GPK and sports) as decoration is good for guests to see when at the offices. He's not walking off with them and they are still at Topps. Just being used for a specific purpose rather than being sold. I think they will hang there for a bit until they need some cash or they swap out pieces as the series continue over the years. Other than a desire to keep certain pieces I do for myself (or in your case would like to own) I don't see it as a big deal and certainly not anything illegal or unethical.

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #352 on: February 01, 2011, 04:32:59 PM »
If those are the facts then all is well with the world. I just wanted to put out what I've been hearing from various sources.

Here's my latest acquisition. Yeah it's the real thing.

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #353 on: February 01, 2011, 04:38:55 PM »
My inside info is specific. Topps is not keeping choice pieces. An exec who recently got involved in the brand is clipping art for himself, having them framed and hanging them in his office. He might just be borrowing it but if not then he's stealing.

Ahhhh... this explanation, along with Dave's, clarifies things.  Thanks for expanding a bit.

This reminds me how important the work of Neal Adams and many others were in the 1970's, when they fought to make it standard that comic book original artwork be returned to the artists who created it.  Heck, I've got pals who worked on the X-Men (and other books) who paid for their homes with the proceeds gained from their art returns.  I know for a lot of guys, the freelance itself is only half of their figured income.  

For those of you guys that create works for publications and other commercial endeavors - what's the norm these days?  I suspect that many companies keep the artworks they commission for publication, but I'm not sure.  
Jason Liebig - A swell TV host (currently on History Channel) who used to oversee Marvel Comics' X-Men - now creator and curator of WishbookWeb.com and CollectingCandy.com, a celebration of candy packaging, marketing and the people behind it all

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #354 on: February 01, 2011, 04:46:38 PM »
If those are the facts then all is well with the world. I just wanted to put out what I've been hearing from various sources.

Looks great! Glad to see you finally got that one. Watch that finger...it's almost touching the black!!

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #355 on: February 01, 2011, 06:35:21 PM »
Ahhhh... this explanation, along with Dave's, clarifies things.  Thanks for expanding a bit.

This reminds me how important the work of Neal Adams and many others were in the 1970's, when they fought to make it standard that comic book original artwork be returned to the artists who created it.  Heck, I've got pals who worked on the X-Men (and other books) who paid for their homes with the proceeds gained from their art returns.  I know for a lot of guys, the freelance itself is only half of their figured income.  

For those of you guys that create works for publications and other commercial endeavors - what's the norm these days?  I suspect that many companies keep the artworks they commission for publication, but I'm not sure.  
I'd like to know what the standard is too. I would think the artists don't get to keep much of their art now that most companies know there's a market for that stuff and know how to tap it. That's why more artists should try launching their own publications.

Offline BustedFinger

• Just a simple collector. No books, no websites, no arguments!
  • I wonder where this text will appear?
« Reply #356 on: February 01, 2011, 06:43:39 PM »

Nice score!  Congratulations!!
Giving "The Hobby" the finger since 1999!

Offline Joe G.

« Reply #357 on: February 01, 2011, 07:26:28 PM »
Hyde's Rox is beyond superb!  Is any of the lettering Letraset or is it all hand painted?

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
« Reply #358 on: February 01, 2011, 08:14:55 PM »

Nice pick up. This piece has made its rounds as I believe it was in the Frank Cali collection then I believe matt or the matt/greg combo collection owned it.  I assume you picked it up from them unless it had changed hands since they had it.  I don't recall who Frank had gotten it from, possibly Phil Carpenter? 
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #359 on: February 01, 2011, 10:54:24 PM »
Nice pick up. This piece has made its rounds as I believe it was in the Frank Cali collection then I believe matt or the matt/greg combo collection owned it.  I assume you picked it up from them unless it had changed hands since they had it.  I don't recall who Frank had gotten it from, possibly Phil Carpenter? 
The lineage of Hyde's Rox goes like this;
Gidwitz->Eric->FrankCali->Doug->Matt->Greg->me.

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #360 on: February 01, 2011, 11:00:55 PM »
Hyde's Rox is beyond superb!  Is any of the lettering Letraset or is it all hand painted?
The small lettering appears to be letraset. Moonshine appears drawn and Hyde's Rox is painted. Most Wacky art has damaged lettering. This is one of the few that doesn't.

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
« Reply #361 on: February 02, 2011, 06:03:52 AM »
The small lettering appears to be letraset. Moonshine appears drawn and Hyde's Rox is painted. Most Wacky art has damaged lettering. This is one of the few that doesn't.
I has never heard this before, maybe I have been lucky as only a few of the pieces I have owned have had damaged lettering.  Do you have some stastitics on this?
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #362 on: February 02, 2011, 03:39:22 PM »
I has never heard this before, maybe I have been lucky as only a few of the pieces I have owned have had damaged lettering.  Do you have some stastitics on this?
I got this info from Greg. I don't know first hand how many originals have damaged text but judging by the condition of the LTL images I would think the 1970's letraset had a tough time surviving the Topps Vault. I'm sure they were stored and handled carelessly. I guess as long as your pieces are framed and not bashed around much they shouldn't deteriorate anymore. As far as I can tell only Tom Bunk is using letraset on today's Wacky art. There are better options for doing text now but he's an old school guy and probably set in his ways.

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #363 on: February 02, 2011, 08:25:12 PM »
Armor Maul - ANS 7 final art
Old Slice - ANS 7 final art
Yubang - ANS 7 final art

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #364 on: February 03, 2011, 07:12:33 AM »
Looks like the M***M person won 2 of these. They have very high feedback. I wonder who that person is?

Offline Hustler08

• I Hustle for Wacky Packs!!!
« Reply #365 on: February 03, 2011, 11:50:06 AM »
Looks like the M***M person won 2 of these. They have very high feedback. I wonder who that person is?

I don't know, but they beat me out... :'(

Offline Feetena

• 10....err, 9 toes in every bowl!
« Reply #366 on: February 06, 2011, 07:25:01 AM »
Still think that some of these artwork scores are bargains compared to where ANS7 sketch cards are trading at on the Bay.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #367 on: February 09, 2011, 06:33:20 PM »
What's the deal with Topps matting and framing art now?

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #368 on: February 09, 2011, 08:56:55 PM »
What's the deal with Topps matting and framing art now?
I was more curious why they stopped. They'd been framing most of the art they were selling since 2003.

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #369 on: February 09, 2011, 09:13:14 PM »
Topps frames are cheap and usually matted in poor taste and the "glass" is plexiglass. I look at it as better protection for the art while in transit. When it arrives I rip the frame apart and put it behind museum glass.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #370 on: February 10, 2011, 02:54:05 AM »
Topps frames are cheap and usually matted in poor taste and the "glass" is plexiglass. I look at it as better protection for the art while in transit. When it arrives I rip the frame apart and put it behind museum glass.

That probably would be better protection.  My one win from Topps arrived folded in what appeared to be copy machine paper, and I believe that affected the painting.

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #371 on: February 14, 2011, 06:35:46 PM »
just noticing Klepto which is up for auction currently.
interesting changes of the lighter colors to the much more saturated colors of the postcard (unless it's just a poor photo), as well as the reveal of the 'possessions' typo
[expando]http://i55.tinypic.com/140lwfd.jpg[/expando]
« Last Edit: February 14, 2011, 06:37:37 PM by Fanatical_and_Sickly »

Offline Sunstroke

• My Website
« Reply #372 on: February 14, 2011, 08:42:16 PM »
The original is far more rich than their scan shows. You can see a better shot of it on my blog or flickr.

The typo IS there though. Yikes!
Looking for Saunders Art cards: Especially Wackies, Frankenstein stickers, Mars Attacks & Battle

Offline Sunstroke

• My Website
« Reply #373 on: February 14, 2011, 10:27:52 PM »
Looking for Saunders Art cards: Especially Wackies, Frankenstein stickers, Mars Attacks & Battle

Offline Sue Mee

• and Sometimes I'm LipOff
« Reply #374 on: February 14, 2011, 11:00:56 PM »
Sue Mee is AKA LipOff
My Home-Made Wackys

Offline Gurgle

• recommends zircon-encrusted tweezers
« Reply #375 on: February 15, 2011, 08:45:02 AM »
The original is far more rich than their scan shows. You can see a better shot of it on my blog or flickr.

The typo IS there though. Yikes!

I'll take responsibility for the typo as it was in the rough. Very careless of me. I don't know what possessed me.

Offline Sunstroke

• My Website
« Reply #376 on: February 15, 2011, 08:48:04 AM »
I didn't catch it either though!

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #377 on: March 10, 2011, 08:45:33 PM »
I just won the Snookered art. I can't believe it sold so cheap. I think it's an awesome wacky. I guess the collectors were sleeping. Booze and smokes have, for the most part, been great Wackys even though it was a 1991 wacky, although never published.

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #378 on: March 10, 2011, 09:00:05 PM »
I just won the Snookered art. I can't believe it sold so cheap. I think it's an awesome wacky. I guess the collectors were sleeping. Booze and smokes have, for the most part, been great Wackys even though it was a 1991 wacky, although never published.

It is a great title!

I'd sure like to see a large scan

(Here is one http://www.hipsteria.com/images/TBWP09.jpg)

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #379 on: March 11, 2011, 03:31:47 AM »
Unfortunately the collectors do not sleep. (See below.)

By the way, Snookered was most definitely published. Read the listing.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #380 on: March 11, 2011, 07:43:43 AM »
Unfortunately the collectors do not sleep. (See below.)

By the way, Snookered was most definitely published. Read the listing.
Right, I meant it wasn't in the 1991 run but later run with the book. Sort of a lost wacky.
I noticed you won that auction and it went pretty high. I like the art but I don't like the title for some reason. I thought Snookered would go pretty high also. I think the gag is great! I put in a snipe of $670 and couldn't believe I got it for $440. I really didn't think I had a shot at $670. I see Granny Hairs went for under $400. I'm not a big fan of that one but it's still really low for Wacky art.

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #381 on: March 11, 2011, 07:23:19 PM »
Right, I meant it wasn't in the 1991 run but later run with the book. Sort of a lost wacky.
I noticed you won that auction and it went pretty high. I like the art but I don't like the title for some reason. I thought Snookered would go pretty high also. I think the gag is great! I put in a snipe of $670 and couldn't believe I got it for $440. I really didn't think I had a shot at $670. I see Granny Hairs went for under $400. I'm not a big fan of that one but it's still really low for Wacky art.

Sea Monkeys are nostalgic for me. I had em. And those ads were all over the comics I read in the 70's. Plus, this is the only racist Wacky ever published. That gives it a certain historical value. I suspect others felt the same way having run the price up so high before I even stepped in. The art isn't all that amazing but neither was the original product label. I seem to be scoring all the Sea gags lately. Sea Honkies. Seagerms. Hi-Sea.

Offline Gurgle

• recommends zircon-encrusted tweezers
« Reply #382 on: March 11, 2011, 10:29:40 PM »
Sea Monkeys are nostalgic for me. I had em. And those ads were all over the comics I read in the 70's. Plus, this is the only racist Wacky ever published.

Rotsa Root can certainly be considered racist.

Offline Hustler08

• I Hustle for Wacky Packs!!!
« Reply #383 on: March 12, 2011, 04:40:14 AM »
Rotsa Root can certainly be considered racist.

Then how about this...

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #384 on: March 12, 2011, 05:06:32 AM »
Then how about this...

Chech isn't racist. It's the actual name for the countryman. Fritz or Ruskie would be considered racial slurs for a Czech.