Author Topic: ebay Art Auctions  (Read 277602 times)

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
Re: ebay Art Auctions
« Reply #35 on: April 16, 2010, 10:26:04 AM »
I look for art on ebay and all I get is auctions by this Probsein guy. This is so irritating. So obviously this guy (or consigned) sells every weird wacky that Topps did? Not enough to get me excited.
I agree, seeing the probstein auctions is annoying.  Speaking of which, is there a way to set your ebay searches to ignore certain sellers?
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #37 on: April 18, 2010, 08:51:48 PM »
Brylscream - final art

Offline paste_anyplace

• is just this guy, you know?
    • Fred Wheaton's home page at hipsteria.com
« Reply #38 on: April 19, 2010, 05:44:40 PM »
Brylscream - final art

Wow, I'm surprised that beauty went for only $700.00.

Offline RonZombie

• (AKA)"Ron of the Dead"
  • Take a "BITE" out of life!
« Reply #39 on: April 19, 2010, 06:34:55 PM »
Wow, I'm surprised that beauty went for only $700.00.
And the color sketches are getting almost twice that! I for the life of me do'nt get it :^)
"Treat others the way you like to be treated"

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #40 on: April 23, 2010, 02:15:43 AM »
Busted Ball - rough
Klepto - rough
Taco Bill - rough
Wander Bread - rough
« Last Edit: April 23, 2010, 03:24:01 PM by Plan 9 »

Offline Gurgle

• recommends zircon-encrusted tweezers
« Reply #41 on: April 23, 2010, 08:50:03 AM »
Busted Ball - rough
Klepto - line art
Taco Bill - line art
Wander Bread - line art

Klepto, Taco Bill and Wander Bread are all roughs.

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #42 on: April 23, 2010, 03:24:13 PM »
Klepto, Taco Bill and Wander Bread are all roughs.

Corrected. Thanks!

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #43 on: April 28, 2010, 08:52:07 PM »
Shovin Spoonfuls - final art

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #44 on: May 12, 2010, 07:47:29 PM »
Stench Berries - postcard art

« Last Edit: May 15, 2010, 09:24:56 PM by Plan 9 »

Offline Dracky

« Reply #45 on: May 13, 2010, 11:48:11 AM »
Actually...I remember all of the 1st series postcard paintings breaking $2,000 with Dracky Packages going the highest selling over $2,700.

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #46 on: May 15, 2010, 09:26:11 PM »
Actually...I remember all of the 1st series postcard paintings breaking $2,000 with Dracky Packages going the highest selling over $2,700.
Thanks for the correction. I missed the first series auctions.

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #47 on: May 16, 2010, 09:50:54 PM »
Spackel - color art

This sells for $400 but a sketch card doodle sells for $1200. Freakin' weird.

Offline Gurgle

• recommends zircon-encrusted tweezers
« Reply #48 on: May 16, 2010, 10:05:56 PM »
Spackel - color art

Yeah, that's kinda messed up.

Online RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #49 on: May 17, 2010, 09:30:26 AM »
Yeah, that's kinda messed up.
I think it's an "Officially issued trading card" thing.

I've really got to get in the habit of checking out the toppsvault auctions, I'm getting tired of seeing these after they're over!

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #50 on: May 21, 2010, 10:31:10 AM »
I didn't have a big enough snipe on the Tombs art that sold yesterday. Sad....

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #51 on: May 21, 2010, 10:42:03 AM »
Spackel - color art

No doubt.  I'm sure it makes sense to some, but it's a bit mind-boggling to me.
Jason Liebig - A swell TV host (currently on History Channel) who used to oversee Marvel Comics' X-Men - now creator and curator of WishbookWeb.com and CollectingCandy.com, a celebration of candy packaging, marketing and the people behind it all

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #52 on: May 21, 2010, 08:17:22 PM »
Tombs - final art

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #53 on: May 26, 2010, 10:57:23 AM »
Taco Bill - final art

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #54 on: May 26, 2010, 11:00:30 AM »
A prime example of the totally irrationality of collecting.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #55 on: May 26, 2010, 02:35:25 PM »
You have to realize that Koduck is more iconic then Taco Bill. The color sketches do look fantastic in person as does original art paintings. These sketch cards are a strange phenomenon. We may never see this kind of craze again.

Offline bandaches

« Reply #56 on: May 26, 2010, 02:41:48 PM »
You have to realize that Koduck is more iconic then Taco Bill. The color sketches do look fantastic in person as does original art paintings. These sketch cards are a strange phenomenon. We may never see this kind of craze again.
There is ZERO chance I would choose Koduck color sketch over Tombs painting.  I just didn't care to spend $1000 at this moment in time but had I decided to, I would have bid on Tomb's.
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #57 on: May 26, 2010, 02:44:31 PM »
No matter how popular the Koduck character is, it doesn't explain why people are paying more for them than fully rendered published paintings. I don't believe anybody pays $1000 for a tiny doodle just because they like the character. Anybody can commission these from Jay directly for a tiny fraction of the cost of these anointed sketch cards. There's some really disturbing behavior taking place here.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #58 on: May 26, 2010, 03:00:32 PM »
No matter how popular the Koduck character is, it doesn't explain why people are paying more for them than fully rendered published paintings. I don't believe anybody pays $1000 for a tiny doodle just because they like the character. Anybody can commission these from Jay directly for a tiny fraction of the cost of these anointed sketch cards. There's some really disturbing behavior taking place here.

It's because it's a chase card from a card series. That is all it is. People love the chase and are frustrated when they spend big money on boxes not getting what they want so they will spend a few extra bucks to buy it instead of another 30 boxes to get burned again. I wanted the Tombs painting and put in a $950 snipe. With the lower prices the art has been selling for I thought that would be adequate. It would have sold lower if I didn't have my bid in. I will have to review how low it would have gone for.

Offline bandaches

« Reply #59 on: May 26, 2010, 03:04:36 PM »
I don't like that Jay can be so readily commissioned to do the exact same characters that are part of Topps sketch sets.  For this reason, I am probably going to refrain from chasing any other Topps chase sketch sets unless Topps puts something in place that prevents the watering down of the market of those images.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #60 on: May 26, 2010, 03:14:51 PM »
I don't like that Jay can be so readily commissioned to do the exact same characters that are part of Topps sketch sets.  For this reason, I am probably going to refrain from chasing any other Topps chase sketch sets unless Topps puts something in place that prevents the watering down of the market of those images.

I don't think people perceive the same value of a commissioned sketch compared to a chase card sketch. If you want one bad enough don't plan to recoup your cost. It should just be for personal enjoyment.

Offline deadpresidentsvisa

« Reply #61 on: May 26, 2010, 03:19:11 PM »
It's because it's a chase card from a card series. That is all it is. People love the chase and are frustrated when they spend big money on boxes not getting what they want so they will spend a few extra bucks to buy it instead of another 30 boxes to get burned again. I wanted the Tombs painting and put in a $950 snipe. With the lower prices the art has been selling for I thought that would be adequate. It would have sold lower if I didn't have my bid in. I will have to review how low it would have gone for.
Shortly before the Tombs painting,the Stenchberries painting went for $2000 to $2050 if memory serves me. Stenchberries was done by Smokin' Joe and Tombs by John Zeleznik what gives,is it the artist or the product being spoofed or what?
"DID YOU TRY MONKEYING WITH IT" FROM *THE HOT ROCK*....ROBERT REDFORD...ZERO MOSTEL

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #62 on: May 26, 2010, 03:21:20 PM »
I just looked it up and Tombs would have sold for aound $700 if I didn't have my snipe. The same is also true for the berries sketch. If m..m didn't have his $2100 bid in, it would have sold for around $1160. M..m didn't win the auction but if he stayed out it would have sold lower. I am not sure where I am going with this but you can see from those 2 auctions if bidder m..m didn't want them bad enough they would have gone lower. These auctions really aren't any gauge for future value of a painting. I believe the market is just soft right now so buy the ones you want and you will probably get a below value buy.

Offline bandaches

« Reply #63 on: May 26, 2010, 08:36:58 PM »
I just looked it up and Tombs would have sold for aound $700 if I didn't have my snipe. The same is also true for the berries sketch. If m..m didn't have his $2100 bid in, it would have sold for around $1160. M..m didn't win the auction but if he stayed out it would have sold lower. I am not sure where I am going with this but you can see from those 2 auctions if bidder m..m didn't want them bad enough they would have gone lower. These auctions really aren't any gauge for future value of a painting. I believe the market is just soft right now so buy the ones you want and you will probably get a below value buy.
You are ASSUMING there were no other snipe bids that were attempted that were preempted by M...M bid.  If let's say I threw a $1500 snipe but m...m $2100 bid was made seconds before me, you will never know I had a $1500 snipe.

Offline bandaches

« Reply #64 on: May 26, 2010, 08:40:23 PM »
I don't think people perceive the same value of a commissioned sketch compared to a chase card sketch. If you want one bad enough don't plan to recoup your cost. It should just be for personal enjoyment.
It is not really a value thing, it is more of the feeling of collecting something that is somewhat unique and special.  Knowing that Jay can do 1000 more Gadzooka hags tomorrow at $5 each to someone who randomly commissions him would make owning a Gadzooka hag sketch from Old School less special even if there are 150 old school gadzooka hags.  This detail should have been worked out by Topps in advance and I hope they start taking control of the images they own otherwise I plan to fully exploit their lack of protection of these images through some artists friends of mine.

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #65 on: May 26, 2010, 09:14:25 PM »
It is not really a value thing, it is more of the feeling of collecting something that is somewhat unique and special.  Knowing that Jay can do 1000 more Gadzooka hags tomorrow at $5 each to someone who randomly commissions him would make owning a Gadzooka hag sketch from Old School less special even if there are 150 old school gadzooka hags.  This detail should have been worked out by Topps in advance and I hope they start taking control of the images they own otherwise I plan to fully exploit their lack of protection of these images through some artists friends of mine.

Wit, so you think people here are going to buy drawings by some random artist buds of yours with no connection to Wacky Packages? Why would they care? Jay has only been able to sell them because he's Jay. Jay usually sells his drawing for around $300 so these $5 simpler doodles are an anomaly. They were done as some kind of favor to Greg to help him pawn off the big stack of Wacky II books he bought. The big difference between the commissioned sketches and the Topps card sketches is that the OLDS sketches are actual trading cards, part of the series and specifically limited and copyrighted. If it's made by Topps it's a WP. If it's done by Jay or anyone else on their own including me it's a bootleg. I agree that there needs to be some limitations of things and I've already heard some talk about it. I'm sure when I bring up the sketches in my meeting tomorrow I'll hear some info. Don't worry they are aware of this conundrum. They don't want to limit their artists side projects which help them make some much needed extra cash but also want to protect the integrity of sketch cards siunce these are now becoming common place in all kinds of Topps series. I will LYK what is brought up.

Offline bandaches

« Reply #66 on: May 27, 2010, 06:58:21 AM »
Wit, so you think people here are going to buy drawings by some random artist buds of yours with no connection to Wacky Packages? Why would they care? Jay has only been able to sell them because he's Jay. Jay usually sells his drawing for around $300 so these $5 simpler doodles are an anomaly. They were done as some kind of favor to Greg to help him pawn off the big stack of Wacky II books he bought. The big difference between the commissioned sketches and the Topps card sketches is that the OLDS sketches are actual trading cards, part of the series and specifically limited and copyrighted. If it's made by Topps it's a WP. If it's done by Jay or anyone else on their own including me it's a bootleg. I agree that there needs to be some limitations of things and I've already heard some talk about it. I'm sure when I bring up the sketches in my meeting tomorrow I'll hear some info. Don't worry they are aware of this conundrum. They don't want to limit their artists side projects which help them make some much needed extra cash but also want to protect the integrity of sketch cards siunce these are now becoming common place in all kinds of Topps series. I will LYK what is brought up.
I never said my friends were going to create drawings.  They will in fact create beautifully colored shirts with wacky pack characters on them.  You needn't worry about whether they will sell don't let that be a distraction for you.  The point is that Topps again doesn't seem too concerned about protecting the copyrights of its products and images.  They blew it off with Lost Wackys.

I didn't suggest Jay should be shut out of opportunities but possibly some stuff reserved for artists freedom and some protected for future Topps products.  May be hard to do as one can't predict the future.  I agree Jay doing Old School cards is part of the appeal and that one off stuff not assoicated with a Topps release doesn't seem to have the same market value so I will refrain from referencing market value as that is not my point.  It is purely about a level of uniqueness that should be preserved for these special sets otherwise, the sets become less special, that is all there is to it.

Let me present this a different way, let's assume for a future Old School set, some neat new combination of existing wacky characters was presented or they were presented in some form of new and novel way that at the moment is unique to the Old School set(really cool new quotes or as part of new gags).  If an artist can then in effect exactly mimic what was produced in the Old school set, it DOES take away from the specialness.  It is hard to argue that it has NO impact which you seem to be saying.

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #67 on: May 27, 2010, 04:52:21 PM »
I never said my friends were going to create drawings.  They will in fact create beautifully colored shirts with wacky pack characters on them.  You needn't worry about whether they will sell don't let that be a distraction for you.  The point is that Topps again doesn't seem too concerned about protecting the copyrights of its products and images.  They blew it off with Lost Wackys.

I didn't suggest Jay should be shut out of opportunities but possibly some stuff reserved for artists freedom and some protected for future Topps products.  May be hard to do as one can't predict the future.  I agree Jay doing Old School cards is part of the appeal and that one off stuff not assoicated with a Topps release doesn't seem to have the same market value so I will refrain from referencing market value as that is not my point.  It is purely about a level of uniqueness that should be preserved for these special sets otherwise, the sets become less special, that is all there is to it.

Let me present this a different way, let's assume for a future Old School set, some neat new combination of existing wacky characters was presented or they were presented in some form of new and novel way that at the moment is unique to the Old School set(really cool new quotes or as part of new gags).  If an artist can then in effect exactly mimic what was produced in the Old school set, it DOES take away from the specialness.  It is hard to argue that it has NO impact which you seem to be saying.

I'm not saying it does not have any impact. I'm sure it may turn off someone out there and Topps is talking about it now. As for Jay and the book drawings I don't think Topps even knows about them. If some random fan emails me and asks me to paint up some characters for a fee unless the guy starts selling them on Ebay Topps is not going to even know I did it. I'm sure they do not want people doing this but it's hard to call Topps out on policing the impossible.

They DID call me out (and Luis Diaz) recently on GPK stuff. I had made some blank cards to do GPK character drawings and had the GPK logo and banner at the Topps. The back said they were my own sketch cards not Topps but the guy I sold the sketches to ended up putting them on Ebay when the new GPK Flashback sketches came out. Topps got a bunch of emails questioning the cards I made and they told me to not do these anymore. So they are policing when they are made aware.

Offline Feetena

• 10....err, 9 toes in every bowl!
« Reply #68 on: May 27, 2010, 08:55:19 PM »

What's going on here seems no different from the tech stock bubble of the late 90s or real estate bubble of 2005-2007.  Or what's going on in China now with real estate.  Eventually the music stops when the last marginal buyer disappears. 

Perhaps because I'm fairly new to the hobby, I can take a slightly less biased view here, but for the life of me I don't understand how these sketch cards can price at 2, 3 or 4 times original art or even original sketches/roughs.  I do get that they're chase cards and, in theory, more difficult to find, but the pricing seems really askew.

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #69 on: May 27, 2010, 10:02:15 PM »

I think it has to do with the fact that these are Limited Editions of sorts and Inserts, which makes them an official part of the series - though most of us can live without them.  Original artwork is something separate, and is part of the production process.

I certainly value original paintings at far more than any sketch, color or B&W.  But I can see a logic involved for those who see otherwise, even if I don't share the point-of-view.

In the same way that some folks justified the quest and cash for gold FB, and spending to build a set, there's an appeal that others don't relate to.  Some of us pondered why anyone would ever spend hundreds of dollars on gold bordered stickers when wonderful vintage series stickers could be had for the same price or less.  

Jason Liebig - A swell TV host (currently on History Channel) who used to oversee Marvel Comics' X-Men - now creator and curator of WishbookWeb.com and CollectingCandy.com, a celebration of candy packaging, marketing and the people behind it all

anything