Author Topic: ebay Art Auctions  (Read 277899 times)

Offline Plan 9

Re: ebay Art Auctions
« Reply #315 on: January 14, 2011, 08:49:10 PM »
Ginger Algae - ANS 7 final art
Snoresages - ANS 7 final art

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #316 on: January 14, 2011, 08:56:19 PM »
I think what's distracting is that he's so toothy. I'd curl his lower lip over his teeth. Other than that I think this guy sells it.

Yeah, I like it. It's only the teeth being more of a focus than the eye right now and the eye has to be the focus. Once that is adjusted it works good.

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #317 on: January 16, 2011, 09:02:04 PM »
HiSea - Old School final art

This one is great. The fish may be dead but it's a great character.

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
« Reply #318 on: January 16, 2011, 10:06:02 PM »
HiSea - Old School final art

This one is great. The fish may be dead but it's a great character.
Agreed, this is an awesome title, not surprised it sold so high.  Is this the record for Old School art?
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline bandaches

« Reply #319 on: January 16, 2011, 10:07:16 PM »
Ginger Algae - ANS 7 final art
Snoresages - ANS 7 final art
Do you happen to have all of these in a file that you could send me?  I want to list them all on my website so we can see history of prices organized by series.
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #320 on: January 17, 2011, 12:15:37 AM »
Do you happen to have all of these in a file that you could send me?  I want to list them all on my website so we can see history of prices organized by series.
Yeah, I'll email it to you.

Online RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #321 on: January 17, 2011, 05:30:23 AM »
Agreed, this is an awesome title, not surprised it sold so high.  Is this the record for Old School art?

Anyone here the winner?  I hope they're not in New York - sales tax will add $236.37 to the total!!

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #322 on: January 17, 2011, 11:57:23 AM »
Anyone here the winner?  I hope they're not in New York - sales tax will add $236.37 to the total!!
I was the winner. No sales tax.

Offline bandaches

« Reply #323 on: January 17, 2011, 01:48:15 PM »
Congrads bud, that is a great pick up!  In case you haven't seen email yet, I was able to receive your email with the large attachment in good order, thanks!

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #324 on: January 17, 2011, 06:09:58 PM »

Looks like you have been on a bit of art buying spree. I really like Chickless. Not sure how high I want to go though.

Online RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #325 on: January 18, 2011, 03:38:18 AM »

Congratulations!

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #326 on: January 18, 2011, 11:00:17 PM »
Baaabasol - ANS 7 final art
V6 - ANS 7 final art

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #327 on: January 19, 2011, 07:14:26 PM »
Chickless - ANS 7 final art

The gag is pretty funny and the use of space is perfect. No clutter like most of the early ANS gags. ANS has gotten better over the years at being less cluttery. I know a lot of today's real product designs get a bit cluttery but that doesn't mean Wacky's have to copy their mistakes. Wacky Packs have artistic license.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #328 on: January 19, 2011, 09:25:23 PM »
Chickless - ANS 7 final art

The gag is pretty funny and the use of space is perfect. No clutter like most of the early ANS gags. ANS has gotten better over the years at being less cluttery. I know a lot of today's real product designs get a bit cluttery but that doesn't mean Wacky's have to copy their mistakes. Wacky Packs have artistic license.

I put in a snipe but it obviously didn't make a dent at the closing price. Good job! Too bad I was at a work awards banquet to jack my bid up more. I just got to my room to see the results. I really liked that piece. I thought to be one of the best in the series. Oh well. There's always tomorrow.

Offline Hustler08

• I Hustle for Wacky Packs!!!
« Reply #329 on: January 20, 2011, 12:35:53 PM »
I put in a snipe but it obviously didn't make a dent at the closing price. Good job! Too bad I was at a work awards banquet to jack my bid up more. I just got to my room to see the results. I really liked that piece. I thought to be one of the best in the series. Oh well. There's always tomorrow.

I also like that one..clear gag..funny not a lot of clutter...although it would have been nice to have stuff on the left side of the box...

put in a late bid but it went higher..missed it by a small margin...nice Wacky...

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #330 on: January 20, 2011, 07:21:17 PM »
Boredom - ANS 7 final art   
Play-Doze - ANS 7 final art

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #333 on: January 21, 2011, 05:21:42 PM »
What the hey?!?
same seller. but this time no gold card. what up wit dat?

Offline Campy

• work in progress
« Reply #334 on: January 21, 2011, 05:24:55 PM »
Look at the winner

Bidder Information
Bidder:   r***-( 1 )
Item description:   2010 Topps Wacky Packages Series 7 Original Art RedBull
Bids on this item:   2

30-Day Summary
Total bids:   15
Items bid on:   11
Bid activity (%) with this seller:   20%   
Bid retractions:   0
Bid retractions (6 months):   0
Looks to me like he is just running up the price?

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #335 on: January 21, 2011, 09:49:38 PM »
Look at the winner

Bidder Information
Bidder:   r***-( 1 )
Item description:   2010 Topps Wacky Packages Series 7 Original Art RedBull
Bids on this item:   2

30-Day Summary
Total bids:   15
Items bid on:   11
Bid activity (%) with this seller:   20%   
Bid retractions:   0
Bid retractions (6 months):   0

Looks to me like he is just running up the price?

The auction is only at a dollar so far so I don't see that he's running up the price. He is very hot for Wacky art though. He ran me up to 3K on Hi-Sea.

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #336 on: January 24, 2011, 10:48:50 PM »
Fraid - ANS 7 final art

I don't care for the art but the gag is very good.

By the way, notice the fucking lettering is falling off already. Is there any quality control at Topps? Do they allow their artists to throw these things together any old way they want and still think they can sell them for thousands of dollars? This isn't a relic from 1973. It's brand fucking new. I'm getting tired of these things falling apart shortly after buying them. Or in some cases before you even bid. 
« Last Edit: January 25, 2011, 02:55:29 PM by Plan 9 »

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #337 on: January 25, 2011, 03:28:12 PM »
By the way, notice the fucking lettering is falling off already.  
it makes it look vintage...

yeah, kind of sad. Both of them were Bunk pieces, right? Raven Bran and 'Fraid. Or were there more?

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #338 on: January 25, 2011, 06:41:56 PM »
it makes it look vintage...

yeah, kind of sad. Both of them were Bunk pieces, right? Raven Bran and 'Fraid. Or were there more?
This and another recent Bunk piece had faulty lettering but there have been issues with a few other Wacky paintings of recent years. I wouldn't want Topps to force everyone into a small box of creative limitations but they need to find out how the artist plans to assemble his work before committing to it. That is, if they plan to sell it. They know there is a market for the paintings so they need to give consideration to quality control for that market at least as much as they give to their cards and stickers.

Offline Campy

• work in progress
« Reply #339 on: January 25, 2011, 07:27:07 PM »
The auction is only at a dollar so far so I don't see that he's running up the price. He is very hot for Wacky art though. He ran me up to 3K on Hi-Sea.
I agree, I don't see him biding on things now. I was referring to him running up the price on original art, I saw that 3K you paid. It looked to me he ran it up about 2K >(

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #340 on: January 26, 2011, 07:19:23 PM »
Bunyuns - ANS 7 final art

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #341 on: January 30, 2011, 07:20:55 PM »
Death Savers - ANS 7 final art
Tiny Cats - ANS 7 final art

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #342 on: January 30, 2011, 08:49:13 PM »
Looks like the series 7 art is winding down. There are still several great titles that haven't been released but they probably won't be as some Topps executive is swiping them. Something like half a dozen choicest titles were nabbed. I would think they include Grape Newts, Clunky and Kiss Kat among others.

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #343 on: January 31, 2011, 05:35:51 PM »
Oh yeah, he's also cherry picking the postcard series and Old School. I guess Topps doesn't care about the fact that these paintings need to sell to keep the product going. Maybe he's just displaying them in the office for a little while or maybe he's stealing them. Someone should look into it.

Offline BustedFinger

• Just a simple collector. No books, no websites, no arguments!
  • I wonder where this text will appear?
« Reply #344 on: February 01, 2011, 08:14:03 AM »
Don't a certain number of the paintings get returned to the artists?
Giving "The Hobby" the finger since 1999!

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #345 on: February 01, 2011, 12:26:35 PM »
Don't a certain number of the paintings get returned to the artists?
Yes but that's beside the point.

Offline Gurgle

• recommends zircon-encrusted tweezers
« Reply #346 on: February 01, 2011, 01:32:52 PM »
So, artists keep some, Topps keeps some, and some are sold.

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #347 on: February 01, 2011, 01:40:15 PM »
Oh yeah, he's also cherry picking the postcard series and Old School. I guess Topps doesn't care about the fact that these paintings need to sell to keep the product going. Maybe he's just displaying them in the office for a little while or maybe he's stealing them. Someone should look into it.

Plan - are you just speculating that someone is lifting artwork, or do you have some specific information that leads you to believe this, as opposed to some other explanation.  

I understand that, if you do have some inside information, you many not want to reveal specifics - but if you're speculating, based only upon the fact that select pieces are not being sold (or returned), I hope you'd indicate that.  Based on that fact alone, I think there are other plausible explanations.  

I spent five years handling artwork daily as an editor on the X-Men, and personally, if I had thought that someone at the office was stealing that work - they'd be scum.   Beyond stealing, my boss cemented the idea that as an editor, even asking an artist for a page (a fairly common practice among editors, I believe) was unethical, because as freelancers, they'd feel pressure to give it up, and giving that artwork to an editor was possibly taking food off their table.  Due to that ethical line, I didn't end up with much of any artwork from the books I oversaw - I did get a few unsolicited birthday gifts over the years, I'm happy to say.  

There was only one instance of original artwork theft during my years at Marvel, and sadly, the culprit was a thirty-something freelancer who would often visit the offices, looking for work.  Little did we know he was availing the hospitality to steal.  It was pretty messed-up.

Not a pleasant memory.
Jason Liebig - A swell TV host (currently on History Channel) who used to oversee Marvel Comics' X-Men - now creator and curator of WishbookWeb.com and CollectingCandy.com, a celebration of candy packaging, marketing and the people behind it all

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #348 on: February 01, 2011, 04:10:52 PM »
There has been no theft of pieces. Topps buys the art from us. After that they can sell them, hang them up, store them away or even burn them if they wanted to. Some executive recently decided to hang some up at the offices so he took a bunch of pieces from each series. I expect that to continue for a bit until he has enough or they figure out they are better off selling them. I managed to talk my way into keeping Just for Wolfmen and Ghoul Scouts which originally were going to be taken. It's bad for the artists because we may not get back a piece we really wanted and it's bad for the fans in that those pieces won't end up in their hands. However, it's hard to complain when it's their property to do as they please.

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #349 on: February 01, 2011, 04:11:33 PM »
Plan - are you just speculating that someone is lifting artwork, or do you have some specific information that leads you to believe this, as opposed to some other explanation.  

I understand that, if you do have some inside information, you many not want to reveal specifics - but if you're speculating, based only upon the fact that select pieces are not being sold (or returned), I hope you'd indicate that.  Based on that fact alone, I think there are other plausible explanations.  

I spent five years handling artwork daily as an editor on the X-Men, and personally, if I had thought that someone at the office was stealing that work - they'd be scum.   Beyond stealing, my boss cemented the idea that as an editor, even asking an artist for a page (a fairly common practice among editors, I believe) was unethical, because as freelancers, they'd feel pressure to give it up, and giving that artwork to an editor was possibly taking food off their table.  Due to that ethical line, I didn't end up with much of any artwork from the books I oversaw - I did get a few unsolicited birthday gifts over the years, I'm happy to say.  

There was only one instance of original artwork theft during my years at Marvel, and sadly, the culprit was a thirty-something freelancer who would often visit the offices, looking for work.  Little did we know he was availing the hospitality to steal.  It was pretty messed-up.

Not a pleasant memory.

My inside info is specific. Topps is not keeping choice pieces. An exec who recently got involved in the brand is clipping art for himself, having them framed and hanging them in his office. He might just be borrowing it but if not then he's stealing.