Author Topic: ebay Art Auctions  (Read 277734 times)

Offline Brent Engstrom

• http://monkeyboycomic.blogspot.com
Re: ebay Art Auctions
« Reply #245 on: December 16, 2010, 02:00:00 PM »
Man, I love Bunk's paintings!

Offline ratchet007

« Reply #246 on: December 16, 2010, 03:30:04 PM »
Man, I love Bunk's paintings!
I second that Brent. Would have loved to own this but it's way out of my price range for now. Nice aqusition to whoever the winning bidder was.

Offline Campy

• work in progress
« Reply #247 on: December 16, 2010, 03:56:40 PM »
I completely disagree, I think these pieces are excellent, especially the Raven Bran! Matter of fact I would prefer one of these over some I own. How can you tell until you see it in person?
« Last Edit: December 16, 2010, 03:59:59 PM by Campy »

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #248 on: December 16, 2010, 04:12:53 PM »
Guess I just don't have an eye for art.

Offline Campy

• work in progress
« Reply #249 on: December 16, 2010, 04:28:06 PM »
we got that,LOL. I was just wondering why you see it that way? Are you referring to the technique?, painted outside the lines? what? :D

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #250 on: December 16, 2010, 04:37:07 PM »
That Bite a Man water art has quite a bit of paper lettering. I was thinking about trying for it but after looking up close you can really tell. Kinda stinks.
what's wrong with the lettering? Don't be a hater.

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #251 on: December 16, 2010, 06:39:15 PM »
we got that,LOL. I was just wondering why you see it that way? Are you referring to the technique?, painted outside the lines? what? :D
Vitamin water is a boring product label to start with so I don't blame the artist entirely. But the tail burst looks flat and boring. The shark's eyes and teeth are flat and boring. I'd have him crammed in the bottle, chewing his way out rather than being a midget shark with the tail busting out. The problems with Raven Bran are the essentials. The bird and the guts. Nothing appears to have any roundness or depth. Also the flies are all exactly the same. Every fly is in the same stride with the same wing flap. And what happened to the "a" in "taste"? It's falling apart already? I do like the bright colors used and the composition is nice. I'm not hating it. I just see too much potential to want it the way it is.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #252 on: December 16, 2010, 06:41:56 PM »
what's wrong with the lettering? Don't be a hater.
All the paper lettering.

Offline Campy

• work in progress
« Reply #253 on: December 16, 2010, 08:25:04 PM »
Vitamin water is a boring product label to start with so I don't blame the artist entirely. But the tail burst looks flat and boring. The shark's eyes and teeth are flat and boring. I'd have him crammed in the bottle, chewing his way out rather than being a midget shark with the tail busting out. The problems with Raven Bran are the essentials. The bird and the guts. Nothing appears to have any roundness or depth. Also the flies are all exactly the same. Every fly is in the same stride with the same wing flap. And what happened to the "a" in "taste"? It's falling apart already? I do like the bright colors used and the composition is nice. I'm not hating it. I just see too much potential to want it the way it is.

so your not a hater, It is apparent that you are an artist that critiques art from your set of standards, like most artist do. I can see your points( truly valid) From a none artist view I tend to look at the pieces as a whole and would not have noticed these points until a much later time if ever as I have no idea as to how I would have changed a painting. In contrast to critiquing it, my first process is interpretative, as it is painted. I too am not a fan of Bite-a-man but do like the composition and color of Raven. It probably helps that I am a Poe fan. I will say that I find it difficult to distinguish quality from the photo's. I have an original that looked good in the picture but once I received it I was slightly disappointed based entirely on painting quality. On the other hand the Ditz I received was fabulous in comparison to the picture. When you posted these were poor paintings I was curious as to what exactly you were referring but now I see your point of view.Thanks for sharing your perspective on these!

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #254 on: December 18, 2010, 10:41:29 PM »
My advice to all collectors is not to buy for future value. Buy what you like. No one knows if you got a great price but if you are happy with your purchase it was a great price for you.
Your probably where I'm going with this....
I see way too many auctions that just won't go away because someone bought some art they may have thought they could flip for a profit.
Collecting anything is always a challenge. I've heard from guys that won't commission jay for a specific price they would love to have because they can't resell it for a profit. Anything you collect may never prove to be profitable. Look at beanie baby's. My mother collected a shit load of those and now you cant give them away. You cant collect for profit ( any sport card collectors out there?) I, personally collect for stuff that I like. If you collect for future value you will be sorrely pissed. At any time wackys may just die. There was a huge surge in the 2000's because people couldn't find them previously. Now we really don't know the value or future demand. The key to eBay initially was for people to find stuff in pristine condition that they had as a kid or something they lost. Now it maybe losing some of it's steam. I know this because they keep raising their prices to please their shareholders but they are scrambling now.
The point..collect what you love and dont worry about future value or you will be really disappointed.

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #255 on: December 18, 2010, 10:48:46 PM »
MAY be disappointed. Not WILL be.

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #256 on: December 22, 2010, 09:31:10 AM »
Air Sick Stink Ups - ANS 7 final art

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #257 on: December 22, 2010, 01:22:41 PM »
Air Sick Stink Ups - ANS 7 final art
Poluted? Is there a thread for misspellings?   ;D  ... unless it's a part of the gag that I don't "get"

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #258 on: December 22, 2010, 04:50:40 PM »
Poluted? Is there a thread for misspellings?   ;D  ... unless it's a part of the gag that I don't "get"
Artists don't care about technical junk like speliling.

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #259 on: December 23, 2010, 08:04:33 PM »
Wife Out - ANS 7 final art

If Wackys are for kids then what is a kid to think of this? Could he even understand it? Between this one, the BP gag and the Twitley gag I'm blown away by the crazy minded management of Topps. On one hand they want to shy away from all kinds of benign images and references they deem questionable for kids. Yet they think a gag about the kids mother getting screwed over by his father in an ugly divorce is appropriate with all the real divorces troubling kids today. This gag belongs in Maxim, not Wacky Packs. Great painting though!

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #260 on: December 23, 2010, 08:07:57 PM »
Wiiz - ANS 7 final art

This is from Wacky Packs, right? It's not a Garbage Pail Kid? Again, Topps knows not what their brand is about. This is disgusting. I think the sale price reflects how much it turned off the Wacky collecting crowd because this is otherwise an excellent painting. It looks less wacky without a black border though.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #261 on: December 24, 2010, 04:08:19 AM »
Wiiz - ANS 7 final art

This is from Wacky Packs, right? It's not a Garbage Pail Kid? Again, Topps knows not what their brand is about. This is disgusting. I think the sale price reflects how much it turned off the Wacky collecting crowd because this is otherwise an excellent painting. It looks less wacky without a black border though.

When I saw this one on ebay, I immediately wondered "where's the black border?"

Offline Hustler08

• I Hustle for Wacky Packs!!!
« Reply #262 on: December 24, 2010, 04:39:30 AM »
Wife Out - ANS 7 final art

If Wackys are for kids then what is a kid to think of this? Could he even understand it? Between this one, the BP gag and the Twitley gag I'm blown away by the crazy minded management of Topps. On one hand they want to shy away from all kinds of benign images and references they deem questionable for kids. Yet they think a gag about the kids mother getting screwed over by his father in an ugly divorce is appropriate with all the real divorces troubling kids today. This gag belongs in Maxim, not Wacky Packs. Great painting though!

couldn't have said it better myself...no cig or booze but divorce is A ok!! my 11yr old didn't get it until i explained it and i still didn't think she really understood...more of a OLDS wacky than for kids..not that funny..

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #263 on: January 04, 2011, 08:22:18 PM »
Meowsporin - ANS 7 final art

This is a cute gag by Smokin Joe. It was painted by Brent Engstrom due to time limitations for Joe's work load. Brent did a real nice job with this one.

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #264 on: January 05, 2011, 11:30:36 PM »
Wetflix - ANS 7 final art

Black borders, Simko!

Offline paste_anyplace

• is just this guy, you know?
    • Fred Wheaton's home page at hipsteria.com
« Reply #265 on: January 06, 2011, 09:54:22 AM »

Black borders, Simko!

Without the border it resembles a Crazy Label.

Offline Simko

• Sweet Rot
« Reply #266 on: January 06, 2011, 10:19:11 AM »

Black borders, Simko!

Got it. Did the black border around my Stake 5 painting, but will be sure to have 'em on any and all future wackys I do.

• Administrator
« Reply #267 on: January 06, 2011, 10:20:53 AM »

Black borders, Simko!
ah, but this way you can easily add a nice, shiny gold border....

Offline Campy

• work in progress
« Reply #268 on: January 06, 2011, 04:22:33 PM »
Great idea, you think I can get one of the artist to paint a gold border around Wiiz for me before I frame it? at least this way I would have a complete set.  :]

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #269 on: January 06, 2011, 04:39:40 PM »
Great idea, you think I can get one of the artist to paint a gold border around Wiiz for me before I frame it? at least this way I would have a complete set.  :]
Paint on Wacky art.....after it's been published? SACRILEGE!!!!!
So you're the one who scored Wiiz. I'm always curious who wins in the art auctions. The gag is not my taste but the art is very nice. I'm digging Simko's work.

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #270 on: January 08, 2011, 03:35:16 AM »
Iris Stings - ANS 7 final art

• Administrator
« Reply #271 on: January 08, 2011, 08:02:18 AM »
Iris Stings - ANS 7 final art
another one that doesn't work for me.
although Zeleznik does nice interior portions of the wacky - mimicking the product logo, interesting characters, etc., the lack of precision, or to put it bluntly, the sloppiness, of the box sides and especially the box top drive me crazy (specifically the unequal depth of the flap on either side of the tab). I'm guessing a freehand painting technique without using masking tape?
both Iris Stings and Crispux had to be cleaned up by topps for the cards, by both trimming the sides to make them straight as well as the corners to make them sharp. the cards look better than the art.

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #272 on: January 08, 2011, 09:20:29 AM »
another one that doesn't work for me.
although Zeleznik does nice interior portions of the wacky - mimicking the product logo, interesting characters, etc., the lack of precision, or to put it bluntly, the sloppiness, of the box sides and especially the box top drive me crazy (specifically the unequal depth of the flap on either side of the tab). I'm guessing a freehand painting technique without using masking tape?
both Iris Stings and Crispux had to be cleaned up by topps for the cards, by both trimming the sides to make them straight as well as the corners to make them sharp. the cards look better than the art.

I didn't notice that until you pointed it out but those border edges are not straight at all.   
Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #273 on: January 08, 2011, 01:17:46 PM »
I didn't notice that until you pointed it out but those border edges are not straight at all.   
I would have gone for this one if the character looked funny. You can design a guy to look pretty silly in this situation but this guy looks like a monster.

Offline Swiski

« Reply #274 on: January 08, 2011, 01:38:04 PM »
I would have gone for this one if the character looked funny. You can design a guy to look pretty silly in this situation but this guy looks like a monster.

Yeah...he reminds me of the Hulk...if he didn't turn green.

Offline DrSushi

« Reply #275 on: January 08, 2011, 02:03:32 PM »

I remember liking Mark's rough much better on this one. You need to see the character's iris in a gag for IRIS stings.

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #276 on: January 08, 2011, 04:52:02 PM »
I remember liking Mark's rough much better on this one. You need to see the character's iris in a gag for IRIS stings.
It's about burning eyes but I wouldn't show burnt eyes. You don't open your eyes when they're burning. You jam your palms against them and scream. Suds would fly everywhere. And I'd show more of the upper body. The character needs to look like a skinny dope. Not a character you would fear when losing his temper.

Offline DrSushi

« Reply #277 on: January 09, 2011, 08:41:22 AM »
It's about burning eyes but I wouldn't show burnt eyes. You don't open your eyes when they're burning. You jam your palms against them and scream. Suds would fly everywhere. And I'd show more of the upper body. The character needs to look like a skinny dope. Not a character you would fear when losing his temper.
But at some point after getting the soap in your eye you open it and see the throbbing blood vessels. That's the point in time I want to see captured for Wacky posterity. After all, what's the key to comedy?

I like your character ideas and your take on the moment the eyes start burning, though. Sounds like good Wacky stuff!

• Administrator
« Reply #278 on: January 09, 2011, 08:51:51 AM »
I had to go look that up in an old thread, just to refresh my memory, and figured I repost it here

[expando]http://i53.tinypic.com/20i6m3s.jpg[/expando]
« Last Edit: January 09, 2011, 10:53:36 AM by Fanatical_and_Sickly »

Offline DrSushi

« Reply #279 on: January 09, 2011, 10:30:46 AM »
I had to go look that up in an old thread, just to refresh my memory, and figured I repost it here
[expando]http://s2.postimage.org/8ib79lgqr/Iris_Stings_Compare.jpg[/expando]

Good idea, but it doesn't look like it worked for some reason. Here's the link you provided for others to click on:

http://s2.postimage.org/8ib79lgqr/Iris_Stings_Compare.jpg

anything