Author Topic: ebay Art Auctions  (Read 277758 times)

Offline Plan 9

Re: ebay Art Auctions
« Reply #210 on: November 11, 2010, 05:37:02 PM »
The thing I noticed right away was how dark the postcard looks compared to the actual painting especially the letters on the top. Very very cool! I think I do have the art bug now! ;D
Yeah I noticed that too. It looks like the entire Halloween set printed too dark. Surprised that wasn't corrected. Make having the painting all the better.

Online Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #211 on: November 11, 2010, 05:45:28 PM »
The thing I noticed right away was how dark the postcard looks compared to the actual painting especially the letters on the top. Very very cool! I think I do have the art bug now! ;D
I see what you mean. And now I notice the totally different shading on the side of Drac's face.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #212 on: November 11, 2010, 06:49:16 PM »
Damn, I had a $955 snipe on the ghoul art and a guy beat me. I thought I might be able to get it for around $600 as it was sitting low for a few days. I still would have loved to have the Starbeast art.

Now I need to get my Stake a custom matte. I'm thinking the art along with the postcard and possibly the wrapper. I also have about 5 stake sketches that would be cool to have them in there also. Thoughts on a very cool frame layout?
« Last Edit: November 11, 2010, 06:51:52 PM by BumChex »

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #213 on: November 11, 2010, 07:50:55 PM »
Damn, I had a $955 snipe on the ghoul art and a guy beat me. I thought I might be able to get it for around $600 as it was sitting low for a few days. I still would have loved to have the Starbeast art.

Now I need to get my Stake a custom matte. I'm thinking the art along with the postcard and possibly the wrapper. I also have about 5 stake sketches that would be cool to have them in there also. Thoughts on a very cool frame layout?
My preference is to frame each art piece as a stand alone. It starts looking tacky when you stick a bunch of other stuff in with it. I keep the stickers and postcards on display on a shelf near the art collection. I highly recommend spending an extra few bucks for museum glass. You can buy a cheap frame and ask them to cut a piece of museum glass for you. Then frame the art yourself. Don't let the glass touch the paint.

Mr. Ghoulbar - Halloween postcard series art (bonus card)

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #214 on: November 11, 2010, 08:24:54 PM »
My preference is to frame each art piece as a stand alone. It starts looking tacky when you stick a bunch of other stuff in with it. I keep the stickers and postcards on display on a shelf near the art collection. I highly recommend spending an extra few bucks for museum glass. You can buy a cheap frame and ask them to cut a piece of museum glass for you. Then frame the art yourself. Don't let the glass touch the paint.

Mr. Ghoulbar - Halloween postcard series art (bonus card)
Thanks for the advice!

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #215 on: November 16, 2010, 08:28:31 PM »
Bubble Yuk - Old School final art
Flabreze - ANS7 final art

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #216 on: November 18, 2010, 10:41:55 PM »
Hide - ANS 7 final art
Stuffers - ANS 7 final art

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #217 on: November 22, 2010, 03:47:11 AM »
Mouse Mix - ANS7 final art

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #218 on: November 22, 2010, 06:25:22 AM »

Wow Brad, great art for an awesome title!

Here's an idea from the nutty bin... How about you mount everything to a large wooden stake?! That might make for a crazy display.

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #219 on: November 22, 2010, 10:08:21 PM »
Here's an auction that snuck by. An alternate version of Grave Nuts.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #220 on: November 23, 2010, 08:01:51 AM »
That Grave Nuts sold rather quickly. I really like it but I don't think too many people had a chance to get it.

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #221 on: December 09, 2010, 08:38:45 PM »
Head & Smolders - ANS 7 final art

This gag only got two votes in the poll so far. I think it's under rated. I like this one but I wish the face wasn't so rubbery. A skull can appear surprised without stretching the brow and jaw like silly putty. Bones don't do that in Wacky Pack world. Still a pretty good character and an overall clean simple design which is always the very best approach for little Wacky Pack stickers.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #222 on: December 10, 2010, 10:09:24 AM »
Head & Smolders - ANS 7 final art

This gag only got two votes in the poll so far. I think it's under rated. I like this one but I wish the face wasn't so rubbery. A skull can appear surprised without stretching the brow and jaw like silly putty. Bones don't do that in Wacky Pack world. Still a pretty good character and an overall clean simple design which is always the very best approach for little Wacky Pack stickers.

I like the art and did put a bid on it at around $600. With some of them selling for around $500 I was hoping to get a bargain.

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #223 on: December 10, 2010, 10:32:30 AM »
I like the art and did put a bid on it at around $600. With some of them selling for around $500 I was hoping to get a bargain.
When the auction ended I looked at the screen and thought I lost. They used to make it real obvious with a big red "YOU'VE WON!". Now there's so much clutter and small print I figured I must not have won it. No fanfare at all. Then I got the invoice and soo-prise soo-prise soo-prise!

When you win an ebay auction it should set off a whole fireworks display and sailing banner telling you you've won.

Offline Ducko

• (Now on as Porkie)
  • (Now on as Porkie)
« Reply #224 on: December 10, 2010, 11:48:23 AM »
When the auction ended I looked at the screen and thought I lost. They used to make it real obvious with a big red "YOU'VE WON!". Now there's so much clutter and small print I figured I must not have won it. No fanfare at all. Then I got the invoice and soo-prise soo-prise soo-prise!

When you win an ebay auction it should set off a whole fireworks display and sailing banner telling you you've won.

I agree. With their latest update everything looks the same. See that a lot as a software designer.

Offline Kook

« Reply #225 on: December 10, 2010, 11:52:50 AM »
I like that idea!

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #226 on: December 10, 2010, 12:19:13 PM »
I agree. With their latest update everything looks the same. See that a lot as a software designer.
Isn't it nuts? Nothing more than a cold heartless "Auction Ended". How is it that ebay can build an entire campaign on bidding as competition, yet have no celebration at the finish line? WHAT AN OVER SITE! If we had some kind of visual reward for winning an auction we'd start craving that in itself. Get on the ball, ebay!

Offline Campy

• work in progress
« Reply #227 on: December 10, 2010, 12:27:23 PM »
Now I know who beat me out on this one, I bid 900 and thought I won until I went back in and saw someone had outbid me at 910, you really don't want that painting you want to sell it to me( not effected by the Jedi mind trick) Darn

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #228 on: December 10, 2010, 01:33:20 PM »
Now I know who beat me out on this one, I bid 900 and thought I won until I went back in and saw someone had outbid me at 910, you really don't want that painting you want to sell it to me( not effected by the Jedi mind trick) Darn
I really don't want the painting....... I want to sell it to you......

Offline Ducko

• (Now on as Porkie)
  • (Now on as Porkie)
« Reply #229 on: December 10, 2010, 03:04:50 PM »
WHAT AN OVER SITE!

Great double pun! Intentional? :]

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #230 on: December 10, 2010, 03:37:51 PM »

Agreed.  They really are missing the boat.  I want my damned fireworks.
Jason Liebig - A swell TV host (currently on History Channel) who used to oversee Marvel Comics' X-Men - now creator and curator of WishbookWeb.com and CollectingCandy.com, a celebration of candy packaging, marketing and the people behind it all

Offline Campy

• work in progress
« Reply #231 on: December 10, 2010, 05:25:02 PM »
YES! I knew training under that short green guy in the swamp would pay off some day! LOL

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #232 on: December 10, 2010, 06:40:35 PM »
Wobblers - ANS 7 final art

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #233 on: December 11, 2010, 09:31:58 AM »
I wasn't even paying attention to the Wobblers art auction and it sells for $400. I have my eye on another piece of art. By the way, where is the Kiss Kat? I know some don't like it but I'm sure it will sell high if they sell it at all.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #234 on: December 12, 2010, 07:36:11 PM »
I just won the Crispux art. I love that one! I can't believe I got it so cheap. Almost as cheap as a gold Crispux ;)
Actually I love this cereal and eat it daily. I really love the hockey aspect and like the character. Great win!

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #235 on: December 13, 2010, 06:19:44 AM »
Crispux - ANS 7 final art

This one has a murky gloom to it. Good character though and fair price.

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #236 on: December 13, 2010, 08:14:27 AM »
I just won the Crispux art. I love that one! I can't believe I got it so cheap. Almost as cheap as a gold Crispux ;)
Actually I love this cereal and eat it daily. I really love the hockey aspect and like the character. Great win!

Now that I see the image blown-up a little bit I do like that title a lot.  Do you have the Gold Flash to go with it?
Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #237 on: December 13, 2010, 09:37:32 AM »
Now that I see the image blown-up a little bit I do like that title a lot.  Do you have the Gold Flash to go with it?

I don't have the gold. Not that big of deal though. I only ended up with one gold.

Offline DrSushi

« Reply #238 on: December 13, 2010, 09:49:58 AM »
I don't have the gold. Not that big of deal though. I only ended up with one gold.

Congrats on your win! I like the look of that one better now that I see it enlarged as well.

Online Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #239 on: December 13, 2010, 04:37:28 PM »
I like the look of that one better now that I see it enlarged as well.
interesting. I like it even less now that I see it larger. Especially the box top.

Offline DrSushi

« Reply #240 on: December 13, 2010, 04:54:02 PM »
interesting. I like it even less now that I see it larger. Especially the box top.

Now that you mention it, the box does suffer a bit at the larger size. But I like the character more - maybe I just never really looked at him on the sticker.

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #241 on: December 13, 2010, 05:12:07 PM »
If we had some kind of visual reward for winning an auction we'd start craving that in itself. Get on the ball, ebay!
That's a great point. How is it that ebay hasn't tapped into that aspect of bidding, and the psychology that goes with it? Are they too busy counting their millions?

If all bidders viewed a virtual firework display with the winner's name in the clouds, some folks might plunk down $300 for a nice Bustedfinger sticker.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #242 on: December 13, 2010, 05:54:39 PM »

Wants wrong with the box top? Don't be a hater. I think the character is great.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #243 on: December 16, 2010, 12:48:26 PM »
That Bite a Man water art has quite a bit of paper lettering. I was thinking about trying for it but after looking up close you can really tell. Kinda stinks.

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #244 on: December 16, 2010, 01:09:34 PM »
Bite A Man Water - ANS 7 final art
Raven Bran - ANS 7 final art

These paintings are both pretty poor. The gags are very good but the art ruins them.