Author Topic: ebay Art Auctions  (Read 272805 times)

Offline Plan 9

Re: ebay Art Auctions
« Reply #175 on: October 15, 2010, 04:58:28 PM »
Not at all…just trying to shave off some time.  ;)
That's cool. I know you're really into the Wacky art. Do you keep tabs on the auctions? Have you been bidding?

VX HYPERSPACE

« Reply #176 on: October 15, 2010, 06:48:50 PM »
That's cool. I know you're really into the Wacky art. Do you keep tabs on the auctions? Have you been bidding?

Yes! I love the art. I usually keep the art auctions on my watch list. I have not bid lately, but I think I need another painting soon!!!!!

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #177 on: October 17, 2010, 12:59:41 PM »
I have a basic question about Wacky paintings.  I read that 'press-type' (?) was used for lettering on original paintings, and that over time those letters have deteriorated and/or fallen off, resulting in some of the incomplete original Wacky images we see sometimes.

I have some ANS Wacky images blown up as LTL prints, where it appears that the letters might not have been painted, or perhaps were painted separately on a clear material and then placed onto the main art.  I have been hesitant to bid on some of the art for fear that the letters will fall off.  Can any of the artists shed some light on this issue?  My only original art is Neil's work, and everything is painted, so I have no worries about lettering there, but I am thinking about bidding on an ANS7 piece if it comes up, and am wondering whether there's a way to tell.

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #178 on: October 17, 2010, 02:49:48 PM »
Usually the pasted stuff isn't evident in the Wacky stickers, but you can sometimes spot small marks around the lettering when you look at the auction scans.

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #179 on: October 18, 2010, 02:15:34 AM »
I have a basic question about Wacky paintings.  I read that 'press-type' (?) was used for lettering on original paintings, and that over time those letters have deteriorated and/or fallen off, resulting in some of the incomplete original Wacky images we see sometimes.

I have some ANS Wacky images blown up as LTL prints, where it appears that the letters might not have been painted, or perhaps were painted separately on a clear material and then placed onto the main art.  I have been hesitant to bid on some of the art for fear that the letters will fall off.  Can any of the artists shed some light on this issue?  My only original art is Neil's work, and everything is painted, so I have no worries about lettering there, but I am thinking about bidding on an ANS7 piece if it comes up, and am wondering whether there's a way to tell.
Different artists have different ways of putting their Wacky paintings together. I collect a lot of Wacky art and I'm still trying to figure out everybody's methods so that I can judge what to buy and what not to. Some techniques may deteriorate over time. I've had Wacky paintings from three separate artists start coming apart only a few months after they were made. Topps is cool about taking them back but what happens if the art starts falling apart two years later? You really need to know something of the methods of the artist who's art you're buying.

Offline Sunstroke

• My Website
« Reply #180 on: October 18, 2010, 08:23:24 AM »
On my paintings (Not that any have come up for sale yet!) all the major lettering is painted, and the paintings are on heavy illustration board. If there is really small type though, I add that in the computer at the end, so it would not be on the original. I do try to have the major gags & the logo painted in. I believe Klepto was 100% painted in.
Looking for Saunders Art cards: Especially Wackies, Frankenstein stickers, Mars Attacks & Battle

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #181 on: October 20, 2010, 08:35:11 PM »
Dorkitos - ANS7 final art
Fist Break - ANS7 final art

VX HYPERSPACE

« Reply #182 on: October 22, 2010, 10:18:24 AM »
I'd be sellin' anything I won for $666 real fast.

:]

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #183 on: October 27, 2010, 08:26:25 PM »
Kreepy Kreme - ANS7 final art

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #184 on: October 28, 2010, 09:20:58 PM »
Someday the sketch card buyers are going to regret not putting their money toward these paintings instead.

Crimetapp - ANS7 final art

VX HYPERSPACE

« Reply #185 on: October 28, 2010, 10:28:00 PM »
Someday the sketch card buyers are going to regret not putting their money toward these paintings instead.

I think they will too.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #186 on: October 29, 2010, 05:08:41 AM »

I'm glad the sketch buyers are spending elsewhere - as it is, seems my favorite Wacky titles are often everyone else's, and when I do bid, it always seems to be on pieces that go extremely high.  Even my snipes are outbid, and frequently don't go through.  I am grateful that I managed to win one auction, and hopeful that luck will strike again soon!

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #187 on: October 30, 2010, 07:28:39 PM »
Where the hell is the kiss kat?

VX HYPERSPACE

« Reply #188 on: October 30, 2010, 08:38:18 PM »
 This one is going to sell high...

[expando]http://i.ebayimg.com/14/!B64m8F!CGk~$(KGrHqF,!lEEy+jC1)KIBMyj8STH7Q~~-1_3.JPG[/expando]
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200537014697

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #189 on: October 31, 2010, 04:36:43 AM »
Where the hell is the kiss kat?
Smokin Joe told me he left it out in the rain and the paint was washed away. But the line art or "sketch" is still on the paper and he'll sell it for $2000.

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #190 on: November 04, 2010, 08:33:52 PM »
Stake 5 - postcard art

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #191 on: November 04, 2010, 08:42:08 PM »
This one is going to sell high...

[expando]http://i.ebayimg.com/14/!B64m8F!CGk~$(KGrHqF,!lEEy+jC1)KIBMyj8STH7Q~~-1_3.JPG[/expando]
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200537014697

Did you manage to grab this one?

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #192 on: November 05, 2010, 07:05:49 AM »
Stake 5 - postcard art

I did! My first art piece. Pretty excited to see it up close.

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #193 on: November 05, 2010, 02:50:44 PM »
I did! My first art piece. Pretty excited to see it up close.
Congratulations!! That's a nice piece to start with.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #194 on: November 07, 2010, 07:12:38 PM »
I tried to get the starbeast art but my lowly $1000 bid didn't have a chance. :'(

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #195 on: November 07, 2010, 07:53:26 PM »
Starbeast - Halloween postcard art
Tootsie Troll - Halloween postcard art

Boy that Starbeast scored a nice price.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #196 on: November 08, 2010, 03:39:58 AM »
I tried to get the starbeast art but my lowly $1000 bid didn't have a chance. :'(

I knew that one was going to go way out of my price range.  Sorry now that I didn't take a shot at the Tootsie Troll.

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #197 on: November 10, 2010, 02:10:02 AM »
Mellow Cup - Halloween postcard art

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #198 on: November 10, 2010, 07:19:57 AM »
I wonder why 'Z' man puts so much effort into his art and not much into his sketch cards? He is very talented but seems to slap together his sketches while other artists put more effort in their sketches. I know the artists aren't paid much to do sketches so that could be the reason.

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #199 on: November 10, 2010, 03:20:30 PM »
I wonder why 'Z' man puts so much effort into his art and not much into his sketch cards? He is very talented but seems to slap together his sketches while other artists put more effort in their sketches. I know the artists aren't paid much to do sketches so that could be the reason.

Could be as simple as the fact that not all artists excel in all mediums. 
« Last Edit: November 10, 2010, 03:22:10 PM by sco(o)t »
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #200 on: November 10, 2010, 04:08:21 PM »
John really is an amazing artist and "Mellow Cups" is a great painting!The auction should have gone a lot higher - man, dig those groovey characters!
« Last Edit: November 10, 2010, 04:10:00 PM by koduck »

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #201 on: November 10, 2010, 04:33:09 PM »
John really is an amazing artist and "Mellow Cups" is a great painting!The auction should have gone a lot higher - man, dig those groovey characters!
I totally agree. Mellow Cup has the quality of the OS Wackys. The hippies are great. I think it was neglected because of collectors perception that it's part of a series that it didn't quite fit in. If it came with a regular postcard set it would have received a lot more appreciation. I figured it would sell low because of that reason alone.

Offline Sue Mee

• and Sometimes I'm LipOff
« Reply #202 on: November 10, 2010, 05:19:47 PM »
I just now for the first time opened my Halloween Postcard set to look at them (Thanks John) and I really like them all but Mellow Cup is definitely my favorite so far (painting wise).  I Love seeing the artwork for Mellow Cup here and hope whoever bought it will post a nice scan.  Although it may not fit into the scary theme, I think it still fits nicely in the series since they all are candy. In fact it fits better for me in the Halloween set than Stake 5 (which I love the artwork for as well) since I actually remember getting Mallo Cups as a kid.

Sue Mee is AKA LipOff
My Home-Made Wackys

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #203 on: November 11, 2010, 11:21:04 AM »
My first piece of art arrived minutes ago. WOW! This is really nice in person. Here is a high res scan.

Offline Sue Mee

• and Sometimes I'm LipOff
« Reply #204 on: November 11, 2010, 11:30:22 AM »
My first piece of art arrived minutes ago. WOW! This is really nice in person. Here is a high res scan.

That's excellent!  Congratulations!
Sue Mee is AKA LipOff
My Home-Made Wackys

Offline DrSushi

« Reply #205 on: November 11, 2010, 12:48:06 PM »

That looks sweet! Congrats!

VX HYPERSPACE

« Reply #206 on: November 11, 2010, 01:49:36 PM »

That's ultra-SWEET! Nothing beats a nice piece of Wacky art in my book.

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #207 on: November 11, 2010, 04:30:11 PM »
when I first clicked, the image that came up was just  a modest size, and I wondered why you called it a high res scan.
but then I finally noticed the "full size" option underneath the image and clicked.
WOW, now that's high res!! sweet!!

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #208 on: November 11, 2010, 05:12:46 PM »

Careful. You may get bitten by the Wacky art bug. Or the Wacky art vampire.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #209 on: November 11, 2010, 05:29:46 PM »
when I first clicked, the image that came up was just  a modest size, and I wondered why you called it a high res scan.
but then I finally noticed the "full size" option underneath the image and clicked.
WOW, now that's high res!! sweet!!
The thing I noticed right away was how dark the postcard looks compared to the actual painting especially the letters on the top. Very very cool! I think I do have the art bug now! ;D

anything