Author Topic: ANS8 Roughs  (Read 25074 times)

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
Re: ANS8 Roughs
« Reply #70 on: September 02, 2011, 09:54:21 PM »
Geeze, Mark, did you create the gags for all ANS8? I mean no disrespect by this but I had no idea how much influence you had on this series. This is great and crazy at the same time. I think you have a great sense of humor and love what you do but never realized your impact on the hobby. I love all of your sketches and bought another one tonight!

Offline Gurgle

• recommends zircon-encrusted tweezers
« Reply #71 on: September 03, 2011, 08:26:44 AM »
Geeze, Mark, did you create the gags for all ANS8? I mean no disrespect by this but I had no idea how much influence you had on this series. This is great and crazy at the same time. I think you have a great sense of humor and love what you do but never realized your impact on the hobby. I love all of your sketches and bought another one tonight!

Thanks, Brad! I was lucky this time around that Jeff liked my submissions and kept encouraging me to send more. He's gone from the company now so I don't expect this to happen again. I worked really hard on this series and it was fun while it lasted!

Offline Gurgle

« Reply #72 on: September 03, 2011, 09:13:28 AM »
OK, this is a product I had never heard of before. Topps wanted a parody of Squinkies and I had to research what the heck they were. Turns out they are tiny toy figurine collectibles, so I thought Squinties would work because it plays off their size. I asked my teenage daughter and she had never heard of them either. A few years back I probably would have been aware of these because she probably would have been playing with them. Brent painted the final.

Offline Gurgle

« Reply #73 on: September 04, 2011, 08:58:41 AM »
Dave Gross gave me a short list of DVDs to tackle for the subset and among them was Twilight. The movies are too popular not to be included. Dave, of course, painted it.

Offline Brent Engstrom

• http://monkeyboycomic.blogspot.com
« Reply #74 on: September 04, 2011, 10:36:53 AM »
That's funny Mark. I had no idea what Squinkies were either. I went to the store and bought a box of them though. I like to have a physical model to work from. I usually get to eat my model when I'm done, but not this time.

Offline Gurgle

« Reply #75 on: September 04, 2011, 12:45:12 PM »
That's funny Mark. I had no idea what Squinkies were either. I went to the store and bought a box of them though. I like to have a physical model to work from. I usually get to eat my model when I'm done, but not this time.

The Zhu Zhu Pets are tasty, though. I didn't know you went out and bought the products but that makes perfect sense. You are then pretty much guaranteed the latest packaging and I can also see many other reasons why it would be better to work from a 3D image. Online, I've found that Amazon is the best option because they usually have the current product packaging. I assume it's because there's some kind of agreement that the product received by the customer has to match the photo on the site, but that's just a guess. Most times I will compare the images I gather with what is on the supermarket shelf, just to be sure.

Offline Gurgle

« Reply #76 on: September 05, 2011, 09:24:53 AM »
In the original rough, I had the product itself being dumb (goofballs in thick sauce), but Topps wanted the product to be talking directly to customers telling them how dumb they were for buying this product. Usually they want to avoid direct attacks on products but not this time. Brent Engstrom painted this one.

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #77 on: September 05, 2011, 12:38:20 PM »
heh heh, it's Meadwad.
number one in the hood, G

Offline Gurgle

« Reply #78 on: September 06, 2011, 11:15:59 AM »
Another rough. Brent painted this one.

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #79 on: September 06, 2011, 05:07:40 PM »

I wonder if Tom appreciates that one

Offline Brent Engstrom

• http://monkeyboycomic.blogspot.com
« Reply #80 on: September 06, 2011, 05:35:40 PM »
I had painted "Just Classic" on it, but they changed it "Frustrating potato chips" for the final card.

Offline Gurgle

« Reply #81 on: September 07, 2011, 09:16:08 AM »
I wonder if Tom appreciates that one
I thought of him, too!

I had painted "Just Classic" on it, but they changed it "Frustrating potato chips" for the final card.
Ah, interesting. Thanks for letting me know. I like to know all that behind-the-scenes stuff.

Here's another one that was adapted for Pack to the Future. It originally wasn't picked for ANS8, but once Dave explained the idea behind the future Wackys, I realized this one could work with a few alterations. Dave came up with the "stable then unstable" line. And he painted it, naturally.

Offline Gurgle

« Reply #82 on: September 07, 2011, 06:49:48 PM »
I didn't think Topps was going to accept this rough because they seem to be moving away from death and corpses. But I suppose it doesn't count if it's a fish corpse. I'm surprised blood was added. I didn't think it was necessary for bony crackers. I was also under the impression that Topps doesn't want blood in the products anymore. But again, fish blood might be different. I like the ghoul that was painted in the circle. Based on the evidence, I'm going to guess Tom Bunk painted this one.

Offline Gurgle

« Reply #83 on: September 08, 2011, 08:59:57 AM »
Topps requested a parody of Zhu Zhu Pets and this was a direction I couldn't resist. I wish I could have spelled it Phu Phu without changing the pronunciation. I also submitted Shu Shu Pest in which the toy was a fly. Brent painted the final.

• Administrator
« Reply #84 on: September 08, 2011, 03:55:08 PM »
Topps requested a parody of Zhu Zhu Pets and this was a direction I couldn't resist. I wish I could have spelled it Phu Phu without changing the pronunciation. I also submitted Shu Shu Pest in which the toy was a fly. Brent painted the final.

I liked this one, but just don't understand why it was changed to 'mouse', because those still look far more like hamsters both inside and on the box.

Offline Gurgle

« Reply #85 on: September 08, 2011, 04:41:11 PM »
I liked this one, but just don't understand why it was changed to 'mouse', because those still look far more like hamsters both inside and on the box.

I changed it to a mouse because mice are known to leave presents or scatter pellets around the house. The idea is the toy is giving you the real mouse experience. I guess they do still look like hamsters, or just overweight mice.  :^)

Offline lucidjc

« Reply #86 on: September 08, 2011, 04:49:16 PM »
I changed it to a mouse because mice are known to leave presents or scatter pellets around the house. The idea is the toy is giving you the real mouse experience. I guess they do still look like hamsters, or just overweight mice.  :^)

I'm thinking they look a little like cats.

Offline Gurgle

« Reply #87 on: September 09, 2011, 09:40:44 AM »
I originally submitted this gag for ANS7. I submitted it again for ANS8 and Topps decided they liked the title but wanted the gag to be about Twitter. My first thought was that it wouldn't make any sense and was just trendy pandering. Once I worked on it, the gags fell right into place. I like the unattended pot burning on the stove. I have no idea why 140 was changed to 49 because Twitter allows 140 characters per tweet. I'm sure Tom Bunk did the painting.

« Last Edit: September 09, 2011, 09:44:03 AM by Gurgle »

• Administrator
« Reply #88 on: September 09, 2011, 01:51:19 PM »
I have no idea why 140 was changed to 40 because Twitter allows 140 characters per tweet.
maybe the lettering is already starting to fall off....    :-\

Offline Gurgle

« Reply #89 on: September 09, 2011, 01:58:36 PM »
maybe the lettering is already starting to fall off....    :-\

That's a definite possibility! The space is there for it so it looks like the 1 was either accidentally of purposely removed.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #90 on: September 10, 2011, 05:08:20 AM »
That's a definite possibility! The space is there for it so it looks like the 1 was either accidentally of purposely removed.

I wondered about that myself when I got the sticker, the spacing seemed off.  I also note that on the actual art the 'Of' is missing in the title, guess that was added by computer for the printing.  Too bad they didn't add the '1' back that way.

Offline Gurgle

« Reply #91 on: September 10, 2011, 09:51:39 AM »
This is a title that ultimately wasn't used. It was supposed to be in the DVD set but was dropped. David Gross painted it, or course, as he painted all the DVDs. Great job with the eye!

Offline dth1971

« Reply #92 on: September 10, 2011, 11:52:29 AM »
I originally submitted this gag for ANS7. I submitted it again for ANS8 and Topps decided they liked the title but wanted the gag to be about Twitter. My first thought was that it wouldn't make any sense and was just trendy pandering. Once I worked on it, the gags fell right into place. I like the unattended pot burning on the stove. I have no idea why 140 was changed to 49 because Twitter allows 140 characters per tweet. I'm sure Tom Bunk did the painting.

(Image removed from quote.)

Did the final Wacky Package art end up with the Nabisco corner triangle on the package despite the real Cream of Wheat product now owned by B&G Foods instead of Nabisco?

• Administrator
« Reply #93 on: September 10, 2011, 12:53:47 PM »
Did the final Wacky Package art end up with the Nabisco corner triangle on the package despite the real Cream of Wheat product now owned by B&G Foods instead of Nabisco?
well, seeing as how the Nabisco logo is on the sticker posted above and the artwork posted below, i would say the final art ended up with the Nabisco triangle on the package despite no longer being a Nabisco product

Maybe Tom Bunk has a *really* old box of this stuff in his pantry that he used as reference?

« Last Edit: September 10, 2011, 12:56:44 PM by Fanatical_and_Sickly »

Offline Gurgle

« Reply #94 on: September 11, 2011, 09:07:15 AM »
Another title that ultimately wasn't used for the DVD subset. Painted by David Gross. I didn't know these last two were not included until I began opening packs.

Offline HeadAndBoulders

« Reply #95 on: September 11, 2011, 09:10:17 AM »
These would have made great additions to the set.  Did  you do all the roughs for this series, Mark?

Offline Gurgle

« Reply #96 on: September 11, 2011, 09:20:53 AM »
These would have made great additions to the set.  Did  you do all the roughs for this series, Mark?

That's the last one. Believe me, I know how lucky I was to have that many accepted. I know Smokin' Joe, David Gross and Fred Wheaton are in there, too. Maybe more.

Offline HeadAndBoulders

« Reply #97 on: September 11, 2011, 09:23:35 AM »
That's the last one. Believe me, I know how lucky I was to have that many accepted. I know Smokin' Joe, David Gross and Fred Wheaton are in there, too. Maybe more.
You did a magnificent job.  Love your parodies.

Offline dth1971

« Reply #98 on: September 11, 2011, 01:13:18 PM »

Now I hope there are roughs in the works for a possible ANS9 for 2012 release...

Offline Gurgle

« Reply #99 on: September 11, 2011, 06:23:30 PM »
You did a magnificent job.  Love your parodies.

Thanks, Gary! I want to hire you as my PR guy.

Offline HeadAndBoulders

« Reply #100 on: September 12, 2011, 02:31:18 AM »
Thanks, Gary! I want to hire you as my PR guy.
I accept!!!

Offline Crust

« Reply #101 on: September 12, 2011, 01:18:27 PM »
Another title that ultimately wasn't used for the DVD subset. Painted by David Gross. I didn't know these last two were not included until I began opening packs.

(Image removed from quote.)

Does anyone know why these 2 were dropped at the last second? They seem pretty funny to me, and it just seems like a waste to not use to already painted wackys like that

Offline Mashbox

• Drive Yourself Buggy
« Reply #102 on: September 20, 2011, 07:54:01 PM »
Really enjoyed seeing these roughs. It's pretty cool to see more artists getting involved with Wackys... in looking at the new series, there are some really nice titles!

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #103 on: September 23, 2011, 08:37:34 PM »
Does anyone know why these 2 were dropped at the last second? They seem pretty funny to me, and it just seems like a waste to not use to already painted wackys like that

They had dropped Avatart due to some kind of objection at Topps and also dropped Diary of a Wacky Kid because they were worried the author, who is an Abrams client, would be upset. Turns out the author loved the title so they quickly scrambled to get that one back in. Whatever the sheet configuration was necessitated dropping another title in it's place so they dropped Ironed Man.

anything