Author Topic: 2011 Halloween Postcards Anticipation Thread  (Read 44921 times)

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
Re: 2011 Halloween Postcards Anticipation Thread
« Reply #70 on: October 03, 2011, 12:08:55 PM »
Shouldn't it be closer to Halloween?  Like at least two - three weeks from now?

I think the last Halloween series was released 2 weeks prior, so I think we still have close to 2 more weeks to go.
Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #71 on: October 03, 2011, 12:52:47 PM »
I think the last Halloween series was released 2 weeks prior, so I think we still have close to 2 more weeks to go.
Last year it was Oct. 20th

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #72 on: October 07, 2011, 11:15:32 AM »
Update please . It's Friday :)

DrDeal

Offline ratchet007

« Reply #73 on: October 07, 2011, 11:33:51 AM »

DrDeal

An update is just what the "doctor" ordered

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #74 on: October 07, 2011, 11:57:33 AM »

DrDeal
it's already sold out.   didn't you get the private email?

:sign0103:

Offline Hustler08

• I Hustle for Wacky Packs!!!
« Reply #75 on: October 07, 2011, 12:02:47 PM »

DrDeal

It's been cancelled...look back @ message [1331.msg3577899]A SAD Tricky Treat!!

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #76 on: October 07, 2011, 12:09:08 PM »
it's already sold out.   didn't you get the private email?

:sign0103:

You are a cruel and sadistic wreck of a human being  ;)  ... made my heart miss 2 or 3 beat
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #77 on: October 07, 2011, 01:54:14 PM »
I am hoping for a Midnight Sale.  That would be fun and would challenge the resellers a bit.

DrDeal

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #78 on: October 07, 2011, 02:38:20 PM »
I am hoping for a Midnight Sale.  That would be fun and would challenge the resellers a bit.

DrDeal

I'm hoping for a midnight sale too - otherwise, the only day that week that I know I can be online is Friday the 21st.

I don't know that the timing challenges the resellers so much, since a lot of people seem to end up with dozens of sets.

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #79 on: October 07, 2011, 07:02:11 PM »
I'm hoping for a midnight sale too - otherwise, the only day that week that I know I can be online is Friday the 21st.

I don't know that the timing challenges the resellers so much, since a lot of people seem to end up with dozens of sets.

I can't say yet if a midnight sale will happen, but I'll update everyone next week with the anticipated release date!

Online quas

« Reply #80 on: October 08, 2011, 08:17:08 AM »
Looking forward to it!
Marc

Offline Hustler08

• I Hustle for Wacky Packs!!!
« Reply #81 on: October 08, 2011, 08:19:17 AM »
I can't say yet if a midnight sale will happen, but I'll update everyone next week with the anticipated release date!

Will we be able to buy as many as we want or is there going to be a communist limit??

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #82 on: October 08, 2011, 10:44:28 AM »
I think three per person worked pretty well last time with most that wanted them getting some.  5 per person sells out too quick IMO.

DrDeal

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #83 on: October 08, 2011, 07:20:57 PM »
Will we be able to buy as many as we want or is there going to be a communist limit??

With no buying limit a handful of collectors would swipe them all up and flip them on eBay for a huge profit.  I think a 3-5 set limit is best.

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #84 on: October 08, 2011, 07:36:28 PM »
They create a set that requires you to buy at least 6 sets to complete it and then they tell you the buying limit is 3.

Offline Campy

• work in progress
« Reply #85 on: October 08, 2011, 07:40:41 PM »
I also prefer free trade over communist limits. As a collector I would like to be able to buy direct and assemble a set but due to limits I am forced to buy at ridiculous  prices if I want a complete set. I think if there are going to be limits then there also needs to be a Master set that has a sketch from each artist with a complete postcard/Bio set made available for those of us that like to put together more complete sets.

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #86 on: October 08, 2011, 09:18:36 PM »
I also prefer free trade over communist limits. As a collector I would like to be able to buy direct and assemble a set but due to limits I am forced to buy at ridiculous  prices if I want a complete set. I think if there are going to be limits then there also needs to be a Master set that has a sketch from each artist with a complete postcard/Bio set made available for those of us that like to put together more complete sets.

I don't think a company self-determining how to market to its' customers would be considered communist.   Perhaps I'm wrong.  To me, it sounds like capitalism. 

And yes, they do insert the artist cards, and don't allow you to get them easily.  But isn't this what most of you want?   If they were easy, and automatically included with every order, I'd imagine that most folks would consider them novel, perhaps not swill, but nothing all that special.  As it is, they're now collectible.  We want fun collectibles that aren't too easy, and also aren't too hard, right?  This seems to fit the bill. 

They're just little extra items, and thanks to how they are sold, they've become a fun collectible - and give us something to do.  They aren't even unique pieces of art, like the tough Philly show promos have been. 
Jason Liebig - A swell TV host (currently on History Channel) who used to oversee Marvel Comics' X-Men - now creator and curator of WishbookWeb.com and CollectingCandy.com, a celebration of candy packaging, marketing and the people behind it all

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #87 on: October 08, 2011, 09:27:07 PM »
They create a set that requires you to buy at least 6 sets to complete it and then they tell you the buying limit is 3.

And yet people manage to collect them all.

Managing a collectible series is not all "on-the-nose" and I think you know that.  There's always a line that has to be walked up to, as far as making things tough, but stepping over it damages enthusiasm, and pushes customers away.  Does anyone feel this is hurting the hobby? 

Topps seems to have taken the real market into mind, understanding that folks will buy on the secondary market, and will try to trade, to get complete sets of the subsets.  They appear to have decided that this will create a kind of buzz for the product, and that buzz is beneficial to perception of the postcard series in the hobby. 

Maybe they're wrong, and that collectors would be happier and more enthusiastic if they could just direct order a set of six and be done with it.  Maybe that would cause fewer problems and make people happier.

I do think the postcard series, as they've been going along, have stepped over the line at times, and perhaps pushed people away.  I'm not of the mind that this is one of those cases, but I'm up for the discussion. 
Jason Liebig - A swell TV host (currently on History Channel) who used to oversee Marvel Comics' X-Men - now creator and curator of WishbookWeb.com and CollectingCandy.com, a celebration of candy packaging, marketing and the people behind it all

Offline deadpresidentsvisa

« Reply #88 on: October 09, 2011, 01:52:00 AM »
I don't think a company self-determining how to market to its' customers would be considered communist.   Perhaps I'm wrong.  To me, it sounds like capitalism. 

And yes, they do insert the artist cards, and don't allow you to get them easily.  But isn't this what most of you want?   If they were easy, and automatically included with every order, I'd imagine that most folks would consider them novel, perhaps not swill, but nothing all that special.  As it is, they're now collectible.  We want fun collectibles that aren't too easy, and also aren't too hard, right?  This seems to fit the bill. 

They're just little extra items, and thanks to how they are sold, they've become a fun collectible - and give us something to do.  They aren't even unique pieces of art, like the tough Philly show promos have been. 

Upstart hipster,where you been Amsterdam?
"DID YOU TRY MONKEYING WITH IT" FROM *THE HOT ROCK*....ROBERT REDFORD...ZERO MOSTEL

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
« Reply #89 on: October 09, 2011, 06:46:11 AM »
Given it is only the chase sets that you can't complete with the core buying limit, it seems to be a good policy.  The hoarders would only succeed if people continue their willingness to overspend on ebay.  If that stopped, the hoarding would stop.  Of course discilpine within collectors is an impossibility hence here we are....
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline bandaches

« Reply #90 on: October 09, 2011, 06:48:18 AM »
You actually aren't "forced" to pay ridiculous prices.  At the end of the day, it seems all completists somehow find enough supply to meet their needs which means the completists are not patient enough to force the hoarders to drop their prices.
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline bandaches

« Reply #91 on: October 09, 2011, 06:50:56 AM »

Managing a collectible series is not all "on-the-nose" and I think you know that.  There's always a line that has to be walked up to, as far as making things tough, but stepping over it damages enthusiasm, and pushes customers away.  Does anyone feel this is hurting the hobby? 

Topps seems to have taken the real market into mind, understanding that folks will buy on the secondary market, and will try to trade, to get complete sets of the subsets.  They appear to have decided that this will create a kind of buzz for the product, and that buzz is beneficial to perception of the postcard series in the hobby. 

Maybe they're wrong, and that collectors would be happier and more enthusiastic if they could just direct order a set of six and be done with it.  Maybe that would cause fewer problems and make people happier.

I do think the postcard series, as they've been going along, have stepped over the line at times, and perhaps pushed people away.  I'm not of the mind that this is one of those cases, but I'm up for the discussion. 
Topps can't be wrong because the complainers will take the dexact steps they have taken in the past, they will buy in the secondary market and ultimitly will be pleased with their collection.

Offline Campy

• work in progress
« Reply #92 on: October 09, 2011, 08:12:07 AM »

Very valid points, In light of this maybe they should not do a master set and just allow you to buy the number of postcard sets that their are artist so that you would have lets say 6 artist and so you could purchase 6 sets. The odds of getting all 6 artist I would think would be slim so you would still have to get the ones you didn't get but you would have sets to trade. Just a thought.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #93 on: October 09, 2011, 08:30:16 AM »
Very valid points, In light of this maybe they should not do a master set and just allow you to buy the number of postcard sets that their are artist so that you would have lets say 6 artist and so you could purchase 6 sets. The odds of getting all 6 artist I would think would be slim so you would still have to get the ones you didn't get but you would have sets to trade. Just a thought.
I'm all for this! I doubt it will happen though. I think the over hyper spending has tamed a bit. Just look at the prices for ANS8 sketches.

Offline bandaches

« Reply #94 on: October 09, 2011, 09:27:02 AM »
This is a great point, Topps HAS forced people to buy artist cards in the secondary market as they have prevented the average collector from accumulating enough to merely trade them.  Probably somewhat on purpose because high priced secondary market creates a buzz.....

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #95 on: October 09, 2011, 11:24:46 AM »
This is a great point, Topps HAS forced people to buy artist cards in the secondary market as they have prevented the average collector from accumulating enough to merely trade them.  Probably somewhat on purpose because high priced secondary market creates a buzz.....

I think the original intention from Neil/Topps was that the collectors would be happy with just one sketch card.  It was collectors like myself that started collecting all titles and artists that changed things.  The only exception to this is the bio-cards with the past couple series, which were made more difficult.

Offline wackygarbage

« Reply #96 on: October 09, 2011, 03:13:50 PM »
I think the original intention from Neil/Topps was that the collectors would be happy with just one sketch card.  It was collectors like myself that started collecting all titles and artists that changed things.  The only exception to this is the bio-cards with the past couple series, which were made more difficult.

Thanks a lot Rob!  I kind of agree with allowing TRUE collectors to be able to purchase the same amount of sets as the number of artists that drew sketch cards.  This seems like a very fair way to do things and allows the TRUE collectors to be able to trade amongst one another without needing to pay 4 or 5 times what the complete set cost for just one artist sketch card.  I do the same as Rob and try to collect one sketch card for each artist.

If only there were a way to keep the hoarders away...

Online quas

« Reply #97 on: October 09, 2011, 03:26:06 PM »
Seems like we should have categories for all Wacky Pack "collectors":  hoarders who resell for profit (I don't know if you can even call them true collectors), insanes who bid much higher than a card or sketch is worth, one-of each collectors, wait-till-the-prices-get-lower-before-I-buy collectors, completists.  Of course many Wacky collectors probably fit into more than one of these, and it may be dependent on the type of Wacky, series, etc.

What collector categories did I leave out? This should probably be a separate thread!  Or maybe it was a thread a long time ago and I'm just reinventing the wheel............
Marc

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #98 on: October 09, 2011, 03:42:55 PM »
Seems like we should have categories for all Wacky Pack "collectors":  hoarders who resell for profit (I don't know if you can even call them true collectors)
I wouldn't call these guys hoarders. hoarders keep all their stuff. These guys are flippers, just out to make some $$$

Offline bandaches

« Reply #99 on: October 09, 2011, 04:33:26 PM »
This desire of collectors for more than one sketch card is no longer a new aspect of the hobby. 

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #100 on: October 09, 2011, 04:58:03 PM »

Yeah, this is an example of walking up to the line, but being careful not to walk over it.

I know I'm stating the obvious and you guys already know this well, but a certain amount of difficulty is healthy for the hobby, as it creates buzz and offers up interesting challenges for collectors willing to take them on.  But too much difficulty and people walk away.  Similarly, if it's too easy... People lose interest.   

It's quite an interesting set of givens, and it presents fascinating qumestions, on how sets are, or should be, designed.

Offline ScaryLee

« Reply #101 on: October 09, 2011, 05:53:23 PM »
How about this idea? Make there be a limit of 6 per customer but reveal the secret release date and time several days ahead of time only to people on a mailing list. The mailing list could be created here by members sending their email address to Neil. The one caveat would be that Neil would add no known offenders (people that bought tons of sets since the limits were put in place) nor anyone that doesn't normally post here (so people with less than 3 posts would be excluded). Also anyone here that spills the beans also becomes blacklisted from future sets. Just a suggestion. This would kill the guys networking and buying 50 sets (I heard through the grapevine that one guy got 75 sets of the last pc set).

What might complicate this but would make it iron clad would be if Neil also gave each person a unique passcode and that code would have to be on the order for it to be finalized and mailed out.

Regular orders with a limit of 3 per person would start the next day if there are any sets left (no pass code needed).

Offline ScaryLee

« Reply #102 on: October 09, 2011, 05:57:00 PM »

If only there were a way to keep the hoarders away...

There is, and I just gave it. It might complicate the lives of Neil and a couple of people at Topps but it would cripple the asshole that has come to rely on making $10,000 off of each postcard release.

Offline wackygarbage

« Reply #103 on: October 10, 2011, 06:41:59 AM »
There is, and I just gave it. It might complicate the lives of Neil and a couple of people at Topps but it would cripple the asshole that has come to rely on making $10,000 off of each postcard release.

Which asshole?  I think there are 2 or 3 people that strictly buy just to triple or quadruple their money.  I think they should hung up by their "Grave Nuts" as punishment.

How about this idea? Make there be a limit of 6 per customer but reveal the secret release date and time several days ahead of time only to people on a mailing list. The mailing list could be created here by members sending their email address to Neil. The one caveat would be that Neil would add no known offenders (people that bought tons of sets since the limits were put in place) nor anyone that doesn't normally post here (so people with less than 3 posts would be excluded). Also anyone here that spills the beans also becomes blacklisted from future sets. Just a suggestion. This would kill the guys networking and buying 50 sets (I heard through the grapevine that one guy got 75 sets of the last pc set).

What might complicate this but would make it iron clad would be if Neil also gave each person a unique passcode and that code would have to be on the order for it to be finalized and mailed out.

Regular orders with a limit of 3 per person would start the next day if there are any sets left (no pass code needed).

I too like this idea as it would maybe put an end to the hoarders/flippers.  I was going to suggest the same thing with giving each person that is an active member a unique passcode that will only work for them so they can but their 5 or 6 sets (hopefully) to be able to put a complete set of sketch cards from each artist in the series.  Once the Forum members have bought their limit then open it up for the general public after a 1 day purchase opportunity.  Then whatever is left is fair game for everyone, with a limit of 3 sets per person.

This gives the Forum members that are completists the opportunity to maybe score one sketch from each artist and trade for sketch cards they still need.  And the members that are happy with 1, 2, or 3 sets can buy less than the limit if they would like to.

This sounds the most fair for all collectors involved, but would put an extra burden on Neil and Topps but would severely crush the profit margins of the "flippers".

Just a thought, or two, or three....

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #104 on: October 10, 2011, 08:36:53 AM »
Interesting discussion. And one that's not likely to dissipate anytime soon.

Here are two basic points to consider:

1) Everyone who paints will be represented in the Postcard set's Artist Bio Cards, whether it's 5 or 50.

2) Limiting the number of postcard sets is a decision Topps made based on customer feedback. It the only way to ensure that most people that want sets, get sets.

Given these two things, there's no way to make any guarantees for completing a set of artist cards. But at least, it encourages trading and hopefully, the people with extras will offer these at a reasonable price to forum members. We have to rely on goodwill here.

On a related topic, I've given lots of thought to the best way to offer postcard sets, one of them being an advance notice to mailing list members. The problem with this idea is that anyone who wants to join the mailing list is welcome, whether they're collectors, dealers or something in between. So, unfortunately, we'll probably always have those people who try to flip a bunch of sets. In my opinion, the only way to control it is to block those individuals caught buying more than the allotted number of sets (no easy feat, since most buyers have family and friends they can ask). Someday,we may find the perfect balance but for now, we have to rely on collectors to report anyone (that they can prove!) is abusing the system.

As always, I welcome your suggestions and I'll be reporting on the upcoming set soon -- hopefully, before Halloween! ;)
« Last Edit: October 10, 2011, 08:53:44 AM by koduck »

anything