Author Topic: ANS8 Sketch ***SPOILERS***  (Read 47149 times)

Offline Porkie

• Looking for *Irish Test* cards!
Re: ANS8 Sketch ***SPOILERS***
« Reply #35 on: August 03, 2011, 10:49:11 AM »
Neil: Love 'em!! You made a check out to Topps! And "Un-Lucky" is classic.

Mark: Ha! My faves are the Run-a-Way vitamin one (awesome) and the Martian Hats. :)

Speaking of cool ANS8 sketch cards, did anyone notice this one on eBay by Joe Simko? Really like it:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Wacky-Packages-series-8-sketch-card-Joe-Simko-/220821065098?_trksid=p5197.m7&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D3%26po%3DLVI%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D1804824740469183722

Wish I had the extra $$$ for these...
« Last Edit: August 03, 2011, 04:28:39 PM by Porkie »

Online koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #36 on: August 03, 2011, 12:11:29 PM »

Speaking of cool ANS8 sketch cards, did anyone notice this one on eBay by Smokin' Joe? Really like it:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Wacky-Packages-series-8-sketch-card-Joe-Simko-/220821065098?_trksid=p5197.m7&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D3%26po%3DLVI%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D1804824740469183722

Wish I had the extra $$$ for these...

Thanks a bunch! By the way, that great sketch card on ebay that you mentioned is actually by Joe Simko (not Smokin' Joe)!

Offline Gurgle

• recommends zircon-encrusted tweezers
« Reply #37 on: August 03, 2011, 12:46:53 PM »
Joe Simko (not Smokin' Joe)!

I never realized how close those names were before!

Offline Porkie

• Looking for *Irish Test* cards!
« Reply #38 on: August 03, 2011, 04:28:11 PM »
I never realized how close those names were before!

Doh! My apologies. I thought they were one and the same... Corrected now, thanks!

Offline Plastered Peanut

« Reply #39 on: August 07, 2011, 09:59:31 PM »
So I broke my piggy bank and went and got a couple more packs. No magnets or tags, just a handful of lousy sketch cards!

Seriously, these are a few of my return cards. They're already spoken for, but I thought I'd post them for posterity. Enjoy!

Wow those look more like mini-art pieces than sketch cards!!
Send me your borderless wackys!

Offline Plastered Peanut

« Reply #40 on: August 07, 2011, 10:00:26 PM »
I pulled 3 golds and 1 sketch card out of 40 boxes (24 packs each) which is about right according to the odds.  I was a little disappointed because I pulled all 4 of them in the first 10 boxes!  I thought I was in great shape at that point but then came up dry with the next 30 boxes.  Here is my sketch...........

Thanks for posting Rob!  Glad to see the Peanut is still getting respect!

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #41 on: August 09, 2011, 10:17:46 AM »
I'm a bit shocked by the ANS8 sketch prices. Most are selling in the $200 range and a couple colored have sold in the $300 range. As tough as these are to pull people aren't spending the big bucks. There is no point in buying a case of cards now to try and pull a sketch.
I wonder if this is kind of an aftershock from OLDS2? a lot of collectors spent a ton of cash on OLDS2 sketches. I have only bought a couple sketches also. I guess for me I got a little burned out on sketches..LOL

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #42 on: August 09, 2011, 12:45:31 PM »
I'm a bit shocked by the ANS8 sketch prices. Most are selling in the $200 range and a couple colored have sold in the $300 range. As tough as these are to pull people aren't spending the big bucks. There is no point in buying a case of cards now to try and pull a sketch.
I wonder if this is kind of an aftershock from OLDS2? a lot of collectors spent a ton of cash on OLDS2 sketches. I have only bought a couple sketches also. I guess for me I got a little burned out on sketches..LOL
Why are you shocked? This is what I've been saying for the last two years. With thousands upon thousands of sketch cards flooding the market year after year there just isn't enough demand for prices to stay so absurdly high. The pricing was all based on hype. Anybody can get these artists to do nice detailed Wacky drawings for the price of a lobster dinner. But a core group of fanatics had to have them on official Wacky paper. So they drove prices into the stratosphere over it. Can everyone feel the heat? It's not global warming. It's the radiant glow from a mushroom cloud that was once the sketch card market. This wasn't good for the big spenders. But it's a great thing for the majority of collectors who will now find sketch cards to be more attainable.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #43 on: August 09, 2011, 01:14:29 PM »
Anybody can get these artists to do nice detailed Wacky drawings for the price of a lobster dinner. But a core group of fanatics had to have them on official Wacky paper. So they drove prices into the stratosphere over it. 

That's hilarious, but it's a pretty accurate summary of the situation. Even as someone with a huge collector mentality, I never understood it as applied to sketch cards. Their very nature seems not to lend itself to collecting even though many collectors around here found ways to create a "checklist" for themselves.

Offline Sue Mee

• and Sometimes I'm LipOff
« Reply #44 on: August 09, 2011, 03:04:20 PM »
I can understand how a collector would be willing to spend above market value to get a particular sketch they want, but when I see a collector spend thousands on mass quantities of these sketches, I wonder if they are aware of some of the truly amazing illustration art that is available at Heritage Auctions. 
Sue Mee is AKA LipOff
My Home-Made Wackys

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
« Reply #45 on: August 09, 2011, 03:24:40 PM »
Why are you shocked? This is what I've been saying for the last two years. With thousands upon thousands of sketch cards flooding the market year after year there just isn't enough demand for prices to stay so absurdly high. The pricing was all based on hype. Anybody can get these artists to do nice detailed Wacky drawings for the price of a lobster dinner. But a core group of fanatics had to have them on official Wacky paper. So they drove prices into the stratosphere over it. Can everyone feel the heat? It's not global warming. It's the radiant glow from a mushroom cloud that was once the sketch card market. This wasn't good for the big spenders. But it's a great thing for the majority of collectors who will now find sketch cards to be more attainable.
yup, you nailed it, especially with the later series where there are hundreds of sketches to go around.  At least with some of the post card sketch sets, the quantity was limited so completists had to step up.  For the later sets, the concept of completist has been obliterated and the sheer volume of sketches has blown away the demand.  I changed my tag to "I had wacky sketch fever".
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline Feetena

• 10....err, 9 toes in every bowl!
« Reply #46 on: August 09, 2011, 03:24:53 PM »
I've stated this before on these boards, but those who don't learn from history are doomed to repeat it.  One of the downfalls of the baseball card industry in the early 1990s was the introduction of chase cards.  Sure, there were also way too many companies, sets, subsets, subsubsets and overall cards on the market, but the rise of insert (nee chase) cards was an important stake in the heart.  When kids didn't get the chase cards they were after, they'd simply throw away the rest of the cards.  This led to mass overproduction of the number of common/generic cards and an over saturation of the market.

I'm not saying this is going to happen with Wackys, not at all...I'm just saying that too much of a good thing eventually becomes a bad thing.  Hopefully Topps will keep the greed meter in check and thing long term with the Wacky brand.  Just my 2 shillings!

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #47 on: August 09, 2011, 03:49:21 PM »

I think that the prices on sketches dropping is a good thing because more collectors will be able to get ones they want.  I have thought the prices were crazy anyway.  It's funny how I'll negotiate for a series 1 Ludlow for $200.00 but I'll drop $300.00 on a sketch card I need without thinking twice about it.  For the sellers or collectors who are biased towards reselling it's a bad thing, but for those of us who are mainly collectors it's a good thing. 
Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #48 on: August 09, 2011, 03:50:05 PM »
I've stated this before on these boards, but those who don't learn from history are doomed to repeat it.  One of the downfalls of the baseball card industry in the early 1990s was the introduction of chase cards.  Sure, there were also way too many companies, sets, subsets, subsubsets and overall cards on the market, but the rise of insert (nee chase) cards was an important stake in the heart.  When kids didn't get the chase cards they were after, they'd simply throw away the rest of the cards.  This led to mass overproduction of the number of common/generic cards and an over saturation of the market.

I'm not saying this is going to happen with Wackys, not at all...I'm just saying that too much of a good thing eventually becomes a bad thing.  Hopefully Topps will keep the greed meter in check and thing long term with the Wacky brand.  Just my 2 shillings!

I agree. I got caught in the whole football card collecting thing in the 90's going after chase cards it was very expensive. I love the sketch cards though and wouldn't want them to vanish. I love the artists take on these.
There are only a couple real hard core sketch collectors and they aren't looking at future value. They are looking to keep them.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #49 on: August 09, 2011, 05:15:10 PM »
I agree. I got caught in the whole football card collecting thing in the 90's going after chase cards it was very expensive. I love the sketch cards though and wouldn't want them to vanish. I love the artists take on these.
There are only a couple real hard core sketch collectors and they aren't looking at future value. They are looking to keep them.

I never managed to get an ANS7 sketch card, and so have no intention of spending a bundle for an ANS8 sketch card - my hope of having one ANS7 sketch example in my set is dead, so why spend money now with ANS8, since I'd still have a set without an example?  That's a completist attitude, coming to haunt Topps.

As Feetena said, this is not a new phenomenon.  Since the late 90's, with other non-sports cards, if I'm interested in a set I usually just buy a base set for cheap.  But, ANS Wackys will always be different for me as far as reasonable insert sets, and I'll want subsets like magnets, lenticulars, and whatever other subsets they come up with like the movie sets.  And, I'm going to want multiples, for sticking, putting on the fridge, giving away, and just having fun with.  But, I'm not going to play the major chase game, especially since Wackys have now attracted the professional pack searchers.......
« Last Edit: August 09, 2011, 05:19:34 PM by RawGoo »

Offline jleonard1967

« Reply #50 on: August 09, 2011, 06:02:53 PM »
I never managed to get an ANS7 sketch card, and so have no intention of spending a bundle for an ANS8 sketch card - my hope of having one ANS7 sketch example in my set is dead, so why spend money now with ANS8, since I'd still have a set without an example?  That's a completist attitude, coming to haunt Topps.

As Feetena said, this is not a new phenomenon.  Since the late 90's, with other non-sports cards, if I'm interested in a set I usually just buy a base set for cheap.  But, ANS Wackys will always be different for me as far as reasonable insert sets, and I'll want subsets like magnets, lenticulars, and whatever other subsets they come up with like the movie sets.  And, I'm going to want multiples, for sticking, putting on the fridge, giving away, and just having fun with.  But, I'm not going to play the major chase game, especially since Wackys have now attracted the professional pack searchers.......
Good point bringing up the "pack searchers".  Now that they are out there I will only buy a full case and I will not buy any of the cards @ Target and Walmart.  This I know is bad, because if the Targets and Walmarts don't sell thier cards they will not order any. Without these guys ordering cards the "new blood" will not get into the hobby (the kids that ask thier parents for 1 or 2 packs).  Without the new blood in the hobby, eventually our hobby will die.  So with a fine line of connection I can say that in the end the pack searchers are killing our hobby!

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #51 on: August 09, 2011, 06:09:33 PM »
I can understand how a collector would be willing to spend above market value to get a particular sketch they want, but when I see a collector spend thousands on mass quantities of these sketches, I wonder if they are aware of some of the truly amazing illustration art that is available at Heritage Auctions. 

Similarly, I'll bet someone could point an individual spending thousands on Heritage Auctions, and bring up why they shouldn't be spending that money on something of "true" importance and beauty.  

I laugh when I see what people consider 1952 Topps Mickey Mantle rookie cards are "worth".  High priced cards of which there are typically a couple dozen on Ebay at any one time.   I thank my lucky stars that folks that spend thousands on items that are so easily had, have not entered the cereal box or candy packaging hobby - where things are so much more scarce.  

There's always someone with a "better" thing to collect than you.  Or me.  Or them.  

Spending big money on sketches created in 2010 might seem silly to me... and to several of us on this thread.  But they're just things, intrinsically no more OR less appealing than a die-cut or a Ludlow back.  

Collecting candy and cereal, by the way, is really dumb.  So don't bother.  :-)

Jason Liebig - A swell TV host (currently on History Channel) who used to oversee Marvel Comics' X-Men - now creator and curator of WishbookWeb.com and CollectingCandy.com, a celebration of candy packaging, marketing and the people behind it all

Offline Plastered Peanut

« Reply #52 on: August 09, 2011, 07:56:06 PM »
  I changed my tag to "I had wacky sketch fever".
That was a big hit for Ted Nougat, wasn't it?!   :-\

Offline DrSushi

« Reply #53 on: August 09, 2011, 08:40:19 PM »

And who can forget his follow up, "Wang Dang Sweet Tarts and Tang"?

Offline Playbug

• Visit my website !
    • jeffxmusic.com
« Reply #54 on: August 09, 2011, 08:43:06 PM »

Good One !! I think Band Aches now runs the S.A.A. meetings.

Keep on Rockin' in the Free World

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #55 on: August 09, 2011, 08:43:14 PM »
Its getting so bad that even Cardgarys seems to be shilling. This auction sold today but it's showing up again a few hours later 280722303281

Offline Playbug

• Visit my website !
    • jeffxmusic.com
« Reply #56 on: August 09, 2011, 08:44:19 PM »
And who can forget his follow up, "Wang Dang Sweet Tarts and Tang"?

It's Sweat Hearts and Fang - remember?
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #57 on: August 10, 2011, 03:48:50 AM »
Similarly, I'll bet someone could point an individual spending thousands on Heritage Auctions, and bring up why they shouldn't be spending that money on something of "true" importance and beauty.  

Sue Mee didn't characterize anything as being true or important. He only suggested collectors can find better art for their money, however the collector may interpret "better". Anyone who argues that you can't find better illustrations for 2K than Wacky sketch cards is ill informed. The whole reason sketch cards got hot was because card collectors began to fancy themselves as art collectors. The problem was they didn't know anything about collecting art. So they tried to apply their card collecting expertise, which doesn't jive with art collecting. Dilettantes like Brad say Jay Lynch is one of the most important artists of our time. Jay is a good cartoonist. But to anyone educated in 20th century illustration that is an incredibly naive statement that reveals the tunnel vision some collectors have for Wacky Packs.

Offline DrSushi

« Reply #58 on: August 10, 2011, 05:04:53 AM »
It's Sweat Hearts and Fang - remember?

Nicely done!

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #59 on: August 10, 2011, 05:19:54 AM »
Sue Mee didn't characterize anything as being true or important. He only suggested collectors can find better art for their money, however the collector may interpret "better". Anyone who argues that you can't find better illustrations for 2K than Wacky sketch cards is ill informed. The whole reason sketch cards got hot was because card collectors began to fancy themselves as art collectors. The problem was they didn't know anything about collecting art. So they tried to apply their card collecting expertise, which doesn't jive with art collecting. Dilettantes like Brad say Jay Lynch is one of the most important artists of our time. Jay is a good cartoonist. But to anyone educated in 20th century illustration that is an incredibly naive statement that reveals the tunnel vision some collectors have for Wacky Packs.

"The whole reason sketch cards got hot was because card collectors began to fancy themselves as art collectors.  The problem was..."

Is that really why sketch cards "got hot"?  And, even if you're right - what's the problem?

I thought sketch cards got hot because a few people were willing to pay a LOT of money for them.  I think that's the same reason why Saunders originals "got hot".  I think that's much of the reason any collectible tends to get hot.   Before those few people were willing to pay big bucks, Saunders originals sold for a couple hundred bucks apiece.  

In general I just think, well... if someone starts telling you why you're naive to like what you like, it's time to thank them for their wisdom and walk away from them.  That's the rule for me, anyway.   I'll happily listen to a someone share their passion and why they love something, but when they want to dismiss my own, and what I love - no thanks.  I suspect you don't have a lot of patience for someone telling you you're naive, and in fact get angry when someone pats you on your head because you don't have the proper and relevant knowledge to have a valid opinion about something.  

"Dilettantes like Brad say Jay Lynch is one of the most important artists of our time."  

Does he say that?   I'd be surprised if he did, but he could well-be the most important artist of our time TO BRAD, and be correct.  

More accurately, I'd suspect that Brad loves Wacky Packages and thinks that Jay is one of the most important WACKY artists of our time, and he enjoys the opportunity and access to Jay, and that makes collecting the sketch cards an enjoyable extension of his HOBBY.  And worthy of his time and money.  Whether or not he receives endorsement from the educated and savvy art world thinkers.  Maybe Brad doesn't need to have those folks telling him he's correct to like what he likes.  Maybe you do need that affirmation to feel good about your tastes and opinions.   Either way, I figure you guys are both swell, as long as you're having fun.  

Maybe the sketch collectors are naive... or maybe you just didn't consider their approach is different than yours.   That, too, could be described as a problem of tunnel vision.  It's easy to dismiss Brad as a dilettante, when he has differing opinions.  Much harder to consider that his opinions have real value, even if they're not shared by you, and the vast knowledge that informs your opinions.  

But what do I know?   Like you, I consider myself well-informed on some things and I suppose I'm a dilettante about many many others.  In the context of collecting, I'm just a dude who is passionate about old trash.  Which is, most people feel, pretty weird.  I actually think it's pretty weird, but I still enjoy it.  Even if there are "better ways" to spend my time and money.   ;)

« Last Edit: August 10, 2011, 05:59:10 AM by JasonLiebig »
Jason Liebig - A swell TV host (currently on History Channel) who used to oversee Marvel Comics' X-Men - now creator and curator of WishbookWeb.com and CollectingCandy.com, a celebration of candy packaging, marketing and the people behind it all

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #60 on: August 10, 2011, 06:37:57 AM »

Maybe the sketch collectors are naive... or maybe you just didn't consider their approach is different than yours.   That, too, could be described as a problem of tunnel vision.  It's easy to dismiss Brad as a dilettante, when he has differing opinions.  Much harder to consider that his opinions have real value, even if they're not shared by you, and the vast knowledge that informs your opinions.  

I used to question other people's collecting habits but I don't anymore.  The truth most of us have different interests and collecting styles, and they shouldn't be judged for it just because someone else doesn't "get it".  After all, we're all spending  money on silly kids trading cards, right?  People who don't collect probably think we're all nuts for spending money on these things, and they're probably right!  The bottomline is that were just doing this for the fun of it and that's what's important.
Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #61 on: August 10, 2011, 06:38:21 AM »
I think Mark did a pretty good job of explaining why he thinks collecting and paying big bucks for sketch cards is less reasonable than collecting ludlows or marathon bar wrappers:

Unlike ludlows or Marathon wrappers, the sketch cards are being produced TODAY to cater to a specific market of buyers. As such, they serve an identical purpose to sketches/art commissioned by collectors from those self-same artists, which enjoyed very limited popularity over the many years Jay and others have been willing to produce them. Really, if Brad is such a fan of sketches based on their intrinsics, why hasn't he been collecting them for years on a commission basis?

In fact, while I'm sure sketch collectors like the sketches, what really drives them is a collector mentality. I want one sketch from each artist, I want an Engstrom of every different character, etc. As Jason would correctly say, there's nothing WRONG with that since they enjoy it. To me, there's also nothing wrong with discussing honestly the mindset behind it and its potential consequences to the hobby and to the sketch collectors.

Jason sees these discussions as trying to rain on people's parade, when it's really just more hobby discussion. 

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #62 on: August 10, 2011, 06:57:43 AM »
To me, there's also nothing wrong with discussing honestly the mindset behind it and its potential consequences to the hobby and to the sketch collectors.

Jason sees these discussions as trying to rain on people's parade, when it's really just more hobby discussion.  

Maybe you're right.  But honestly, the mindset that I saw in Mark's post was one of arrogance and patronization.  Honestly.  Words like naive and dilettante are what keyed me into that.   If I'm wrong, I'm wrong, but it seemed more to be a holier-than-thou dismissal, rather than an honest discussion.  And I'm sure my use of words like arrogance and patronization will now be called into question.  But there you go.  

Want to have an honest and RESPECTFUL discussion on mindsets, and the consequences?  Sure, let's do that.  And let's do it without using dismissive and possibly insulting descriptions of our fellow collectors.  Not because we need to be politically correct, or that we're too sensitive, but because that type of stuff colors and gets in the way of real discussion.  Because then, we start doing what we're doing, just gossiping about one another. 

At a point, I have little patience for someone coming down from the mount, after their te 'ta te' with the artistic gods, defining what is, and what is not, of value.  
« Last Edit: August 10, 2011, 07:05:35 AM by JasonLiebig »

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #63 on: August 10, 2011, 07:04:52 AM »

When we're all lying on our deathbeds, I'll bet we won't regret the amount of rare Wacky Packages, candy wrappers, or pieces of original artwork we never got around to owning, or forum discussions that we never finished, or fold-counts that we figured out.    Chances are we'll wish we spent more time with people who loved us, and that we loved.   And after our generation and the generation after ours is gone, very few people will likely care about this thing called Wacky Packages. 

How's that for honest hobby discussion?  :-)

I'm sure that's what's most important to nearly all of us right now. But evidently, the fold counts and empty Gold Rush sacks must serve some fairly important psychological need or we wouldn't be devoting so much time, money and energy to them while alive. That, in itself, IS worthy of discussion. I get very annoyed when I can't find an hour to do something hobby-related that's on my mind, and I can't for the life of me figure out why I care so much when I have two beautiful children, a fantastic wife, etc.

Discuss!

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #64 on: August 10, 2011, 07:10:54 AM »
I'm sure that's what's most important to nearly all of us right now. But evidently, the fold counts and empty Gold Rush sacks must serve some fairly important psychological need or we wouldn't be devoting so much time, money and energy to them while alive. That, in itself, IS worthy of discussion. I get very annoyed when I can't find an hour to do something hobby-related that's on my mind, and I can't for the life of me figure out why I care so much when I have two beautiful children, a fantastic wife, etc.

Discuss!

We're sick - case-closed.  

Well, the obsessive part of our hobby is the negative aspect of it.  I should note that after I wrote that bit about the deathbed, I went back and deleted it... but it was too late, I'd already put it out there.  

Really, I think that part of what drives any hobby is something in human nature, but like anything (and I know I'm just writing what we all already understand) it's important to do so in moderation.  

I spend a serious amount of time on my hobbies.  Does that mean my life is less full than it should be?  I hope not...  But I do like to stop and ask myself just what the hell I'm doing with myself, from time-to-time.   The doing of it is a bit obsessive, but when I get to share my hobbies, and the results of my archiving work, etc... that's when I get the real joy from it.   I get a thrill from finding a piece that I know people will enjoy seeing, when I add it to my archive.  The social and sharing aspect has become as important as the building of the collection.  I also enjoy the idea of preserving something that is still largely ignored, but that's just some idea I've grafted onto my hobby, I suppose.

But I do like to step back and try to remind myself what's really important.  And then I'll stop writing on the forum, and call an old friend, or my mother or brother (yes, I'm that corny), or take a walk outside.   Been planning a trip with my girlfriend to the UK - looking forward to that.

I don't want the sum of my life to be candy wrappers.  But I still enjoy 'em.  
« Last Edit: August 10, 2011, 07:15:39 AM by JasonLiebig »

Offline Hustler08

• I Hustle for Wacky Packs!!!
« Reply #65 on: August 10, 2011, 09:31:53 AM »
Its getting so bad that even Cardgarys seems to be shilling. This auction sold today but it's showing up again a few hours later 280722303281

Yes..here is the shiller ID : 5***n( 70) - he sold it for $305 and now its back @ $199 - unless he pulled 2 of the same one - what are the odds... ;D

Offline Hustler08

• I Hustle for Wacky Packs!!!
« Reply #66 on: August 10, 2011, 09:34:28 AM »
I used to question other people's collecting habits but I don't anymore.  The truth most of us have different interests and collecting styles, and they shouldn't be judged for it just because someone else doesn't "get it".  After all, we're all spending  money on silly kids trading cards, right?  People who don't collect probably think we're all nuts for spending money on these things, and they're probably right!  The bottomline is that were just doing this for the fun of it and that's what's important.

...yea and their spending great money on CRACK!! :P :P :P

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #67 on: August 10, 2011, 11:02:43 AM »
Maybe you're right.  But honestly, the mindset that I saw in Mark's post was one of arrogance and patronization.  Honestly.  Words like naive and dilettante are what keyed me into that.   If I'm wrong, I'm wrong, but it seemed more to be a holier-than-thou dismissal, rather than an honest discussion.  
I don't get why you read arrogance and patronization into my assessment. Are your posts holier than thou when they come from an informed opinion? "Naive" and "dilettante" are fitting descriptive terms in respect to Brad's art/card collecting. They basically mean "uninformed". They're not fighting words but you might let Brad decide that for himself rather than getting insulted on his behalf.

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #68 on: August 10, 2011, 03:04:01 PM »
I don't get why you read arrogance and patronization into my assessment. Are your posts holier than thou when they come from an informed opinion? "Naive" and "dilettante" are fitting descriptive terms in respect to Brad's art/card collecting. They basically mean "uninformed". They're not fighting words but you might let Brad decide that for himself rather than getting insulted on his behalf.

You really don't get why I would read arrogance and patronization into your assessment?  Well, I suppose I might expect that, as you are someone who spends so much time isolated working on his craft.  It's a lack of social awareness that comes from being your own boss.   

So, while you may not see calling someone naive and in the same paragraph describing them as a dilettante, folks who deal with people every day, have the awareness to see that it might not be the best way to go, when your goal is a productive discussion. 

For the record, I wasn't insulted...  I was explaining my response to your post to PaulMaul, who felt that you were bringing up a thoughtful discussion point about our hobby.  I felt you were dishing on a member, which gets in the way of real discussion.    

That said, I'll feel free to respond to any post even if you feel I'm responding for Brad (which I wasn't), as long as you start YOUR initial post off by retorting for Sue Mee...

"Sue Mee didn't characterize anything as being true or important. He only suggested collectors can find better art for their money..."

« Last Edit: August 10, 2011, 03:11:50 PM by JasonLiebig »

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #69 on: August 10, 2011, 04:00:56 PM »
I've spoken to several sketch collectors and none of them collect art. The rational is the art is not an actual card that you collect. Art to them has no real collecting value. It's a strange mindset to wrap your head around. I collect both.
I've asked guys why not just get Jay to do a color art of your favorite character and the response is 'there is no known value to that piece so if you ever wanted to resell it you may not get your money back'. The truth is it wouldn't be part of an actual card series and therefor looked at as a one of a kind misc. item with no market value.
I think the sketches are really cool and unique. Sure there really isn't any set value to those either but it's something unique that is part of an actual series. People trying to get certain sketches put a value on the ones they like. Not everyone has the same opinion.

anything