Author Topic: OLDS2 non-sketch items officially virtually worthless  (Read 73793 times)

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
Re: OLDS2 non-sketch items officially virtually worthless
« Reply #140 on: June 03, 2011, 10:16:09 AM »

Which takes us full circle back to what i said and what this thread is really about.  I like how 1 person is single handedly ruining this hobby!
Your issue is that you define the hobby based on value. that is a shame.  Her buying and selling habits have very little influcence on "the hobby".  Do find the art and gags and less desirable because of Leslie's erratic buying and selling habits?  if so, that is a shame.
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline bandaches

« Reply #141 on: June 03, 2011, 10:20:09 AM »
I don't think anyone is disputing that she has the "right" to buy and sell whatever she wants at whatever price. However, that doesn't necessarily make it good for the hobby. As an example, if sportzfreak decided she would buy every box of OLDS2, keep every copy of Stinkin' Legs, and then dump all the other product for pennies, I can't imagine anyone being pleased about it, though she is within her rights.

So allow for the possibility that her collecting behaviors, while within her rights, may be detrimental to others. That's not necessarily the case, but it's certainly possible.

I would suggest that the ideal mindset for a collector is respectful selfishness. By that I mean a collector has the right to pursue his or her own interests, but it would be nice to do so while helping/not hurting others as much as possible.
I think we are discussing her actual habits, not the hypothetical.  I agree with you that hypothetically, anyone can take steps that are actually detrimental but the steps she has actually taken have not ruined the hobby.  They have impacted prices if in fact she has decided to dump product below established market prices.
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline bandaches

« Reply #142 on: June 03, 2011, 10:26:10 AM »
When those cello funpacks were still not common, someone auctioned about 12 of them at the same time. Kirk won eleven of them, and ran me up to near my max bid on the 12th.
Are you sure he wasn't using ebay as a price fixer and selling larger quantities than he was buying at these high prices?  For example, he is selling 100 diecuts and wants to charge $30 each.  If he wins 10 on ebay at $30 each for the purpose of establishing a higher market price so he can sell his 100, he makes out quite well on this private deals.  Running you up to near your max bid and not winning it after winning the others suggests there was a motive.  Maybe he was just purely spiteful if he felt you had run him up on an auction.  I know him to be a spiteful person as he tried to give me negative feedback on ebay when he took over 2 weeks to pay for a $25 item.  I told him I was filing a non payer claim and offering the card to someone else so he negged me.  Of course I knew who I was dealing with and had forewarned ebay that Kirk was going to do this and literally within 1 minute of his negging me, ebay removed the negative.

Offline Hustler08

• I Hustle for Wacky Packs!!!
« Reply #143 on: June 03, 2011, 01:34:51 PM »
Are you sure he wasn't using ebay as a price fixer and selling larger quantities than he was buying at these high prices?  For example, he is selling 100 diecuts and wants to charge $30 each.  If he wins 10 on ebay at $30 each for the purpose of establishing a higher market price so he can sell his 100, he makes out quite well on this private deals.  Running you up to near your max bid and not winning it after winning the others suggests there was a motive.  Maybe he was just purely spiteful if he felt you had run him up on an auction.  I know him to be a spiteful person as he tried to give me negative feedback on ebay when he took over 2 weeks to pay for a $25 item.  I told him I was filing a non payer claim and offering the card to someone else so he negged me.  Of course I knew who I was dealing with and had forewarned ebay that Kirk was going to do this and literally within 1 minute of his negging me, ebay removed the negative.

kirk is GADAWG right?? he's a pretty aggressive bidder...lost out a couple to him as well...why so spiteful?? Is he the guy on the SPITE Can??? :P :P :P

Offline lucidjc

« Reply #144 on: June 03, 2011, 04:16:26 PM »
Your issue is that you define the hobby based on value. that is a shame.  Her buying and selling habits have very little influcence on "the hobby".  Do find the art and gags and less desirable because of Leslie's erratic buying and selling habits?  if so, that is a shame.

I do not base the hobby on value. But what i do value is my collection. And i dont like it when 1 person is responsible for the fluctuation in the value of my collection. I am a collector first and formost, i have never sold anything, i try to make sure i buy the best i can afford. Which isnt the best most of the time.

If anyone is looking for a few examples from me about my rant...

first off, yes she is well within her rights to do what she is doing. That doesnt mean shes not going to piss people off.

She buys 2-3-400 boxes...Great for her! Most people cant buy 2-3 or 4 boxes.
And she still finds she has to bid on every odd sketch that comes down the pike. Making it next to impossible to outbid her for something you like.

Inflating prices...When something is worth $25 and someone pays 40 for it, thats an inflated price. ex. if i want a sketch thats worth 25 but if only 1 person is willing to bid 39 i have to go 40 to get it. An inflated price. But you say if 2 people bid on it its worth is 40. Wrong! Because to resell the sketch it would only bring 25....ITS WORTH. 1 person CAN inflate prices! And she doesnt care about money at all, so much in fact she doesnt care if she makes her own collection worth less. Very selfish in my opinion.

What about Brad you say? Well lets see, i dont have a problem with what brad does. He goes about his business collecting, and not steamrolling a hobby. (and by hobby i mean sketch card collecting, there are hobbys within hobbys) Brad shares his hobby with the rest of us. I love it when he posts new pictures of the cases he bought. We who cant buy cases get to see a peak at the good life.  With Sportzfreak i think she feels like a queen eating steak and throwing the bones and grizzle to the subjects. Gluttony is a sin.

And because of her erratic buying and selling habits my Halloween sketches i bought for 100-150 can now be had for 40-60...THANKS FREAK!

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #145 on: June 03, 2011, 06:14:00 PM »

I do not base the hobby on value. But what i do value is my collection. And i dont like it when 1 person is responsible for the fluctuation in the value of my collection. I am a collector first and formost, i have never sold anything, i try to make sure i buy the best i can afford. Which isnt the best most of the time.
Inflating prices...When something is worth $25 and someone pays 40 for it, thats an inflated price. ex. if i want a sketch thats worth 25 but if only 1 person is willing to bid 39 i have to go 40 to get it. An inflated price. But you say if 2 people bid on it its worth is 40. Wrong! Because to resell the sketch it would only bring 25....ITS WORTH. 1 person CAN inflate prices! And she doesnt care about money at all, so much in fact she doesnt care if she makes her own collection worth less. Very selfish in my opinion.
And because of her erratic buying and selling habits my Halloween sketches i bought for 100-150 can now be had for 40-60...

Very few collectors don't enjoy seeing their collectibles selling for more than what they paid.  Even so, its important to keep in mind these ARE NOT commodities, they have little intrinsic value.  If someone, somewhere, doesn't just want to own it, then any value ascribed to it is a fantasy. If people only want to own collectible pieces because they think other people will eventually want to buy them.... Well, that's a pyramid scheme.

Every collectible is future potential "swill".  This applies to everything. 

We can assume that Saunders originals will always be "worth" lots of money... And maybe that's true, but people and cultures change.  In 100 years, it could be that very few people will care about Wacky Packages, and the originals will sell for less than they do now. 

They were trash into treasures, but they could all be trash again.
Jason Liebig - A swell TV host (currently on History Channel) who used to oversee Marvel Comics' X-Men - now creator and curator of WishbookWeb.com and CollectingCandy.com, a celebration of candy packaging, marketing and the people behind it all

Offline Playbug

• Visit my website !
    • jeffxmusic.com
« Reply #146 on: June 03, 2011, 07:39:08 PM »
And because of her erratic buying and selling habits my Halloween sketches i bought for 100-150 can now be had for 40-60...THANKS FREAK!

Is it just your Halloween Sketches that are now selling for just 40 to 60, or everyones Halloweens of the same titles? And if that is true, it's all because of one seller and not just because of the initial "newness" has worn off with collectors and that they are no longer seeking those cards because they've already obtained them?

I know what's next - it's all because she sold her's for so cheap right? Not so, like I said before, anyone could bid on these items and ultimately they'll usually sell for around what the going price is for that item. Occasionally someone will get lucky and get it for lower, but the opposite is also true - the seller gets lucky and it goes for higher than it's average price. Because she starts her bidding low, doesn't mean that they actually are sold at that price.
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World

Offline Playbug

• Visit my website !
    • jeffxmusic.com
« Reply #147 on: June 03, 2011, 07:44:55 PM »
  In 100 years, it could be that very few people will care about Wacky Packages, and the originals will sell for less than they do now. 

They were trash into treasures, but they could all be trash again.

Or it could be the opposite too. You never know. But I do positively agree that collecting should be just for the purpose that you like to do it, not for future resale (although that is always a nice thing if it pans out that way providing that you'd want to sell)

The market (like all markets pretty much) fluctuate with Wacky's. You see that every time a new series comes out, and what is deemed as the "hot" items go for more than they would a year or 2 later. That's just how it goes and at least THAT is somewhat predictable if that is what some folks concerns are.
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #148 on: June 03, 2011, 09:15:06 PM »
I think ya just gotta enjoy your hobby, but if too much of your enjoyment is dependent on other folks, tough situations are definitely going to arise.

In discussions like this, I like to bring up two things I've always returned to, that for me, put my collecting into perspective.  First is a quote from Mark Twain, and it always makes me laugh at myself:

"No one puts bric-a-brac to any very practical purpose. There’s some human instinct which makes a man treasure what he is not to make any use of, because everybody does not possess it. From an interview, “Mark Twain in London,” London Chronicle, 3 June 1899, p.3. (Found this over at twainquoats.com.)

I LOVE pieces I have that no one else does... It's pretty funny.

The other is this article on dying collecting categories.  It's interesting how they start by noting several
 categories which used to have thriving groups of collectors, but over the decades, things changed.  They mention " Avon bottles, collector edition bells, figurines, plates, scale model vehicles and lusterware"... That was the kind of stuff people spent money to collect... But not anymore.   It could happen to our hobbies, too.  Eventually.  But for now it's still fun!

http://www.worthpoint.com/blog-entry/ten-signposts-identify-endangered-collecting-categories

Jason Liebig - A swell TV host (currently on History Channel) who used to oversee Marvel Comics' X-Men - now creator and curator of WishbookWeb.com and CollectingCandy.com, a celebration of candy packaging, marketing and the people behind it all

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #149 on: June 03, 2011, 10:09:53 PM »

If anyone is looking for a few examples from me about my rant...

first off, yes she is well within her rights to do what she is doing. That doesnt mean shes not going to piss people off.

She buys 2-3-400 boxes...Great for her! Most people cant buy 2-3 or 4 boxes.
And she still finds she has to bid on every odd sketch that comes down the pike. Making it next to impossible to outbid her for something you like.

What about Brad you say? Well lets see, i dont have a problem with what brad does. He goes about his business collecting, and not steamrolling a hobby. (and by hobby i mean sketch card collecting, there are hobbys within hobbys) Brad shares his hobby with the rest of us. I love it when he posts new pictures of the cases he bought. We who cant buy cases get to see a peak at the good life.  With Sportzfreak i think she feels like a queen eating steak and throwing the bones and grizzle to the subjects. Gluttony is a sin.

Wow! There is a lot here. I'm only going to touch on a few thing.
1. The value of a card is what people are willing to pay for it. If you think a card is only worth $25 but everyone keeps bidding it up to $40 then it must be worth $40 and not $25.
2. I'm not sure about what Halloween sketches you are referring to. You have to keep in mind the sketch. The Z skeches are selling cheap and those are the only ones showing up so if you paid $150 then I'm sorry for you. If a tough one showed up. It would go much higher but no one is parting with them other than the easier ones. No others have shown up. People talk about newness but if you don't get what you want initially you may never get it. That is the same for OLDS2, if you don't get the sketch you want now you may never get it. The easy ones show up all the time but not the tough ones. So you decide, you can stand back waiting for the sketches you would like but if you can't pull the trigger on price then you will get the obvious scraps. The ones you want may not show up again. You also have to understand the risk involved with buying boxes, you may not get crap. It's so easy to say that prices are over inflated when you have no risk. I may buy a case and have one sweet pull but I risked buying a case and got a nice one but you maybe only offer $100 for it. To me that's an insult.
I want people to understand there's risk in buying a case at a time. It's easy for someone not taking that risk asking for a sweet deal on you best sketch pull from a case. if you want to take the risk then do it and hope for high buyer prices to help you pay for that case. Not too many will take that challenge but when they see a sketch they have to have but can't realize they can't get it for $50 it's all of a sudden overinflated. it just bugs me when you say a sale is overinflated when you don't understand how tough some of these sketches are to find. I just got in 2 cases today and only pulled one Kirscht as an example. To me that was a tough pull, to the outsider looking in it was a pull from a box. Little do they know I just paid $2700 for those 2 cases and have to deal with over half of them being the easy to get Lynches. No disrespect to Jay but all of his are the same and because of this the prices are really down to around $10 each.
I think that is enough rational on this subject. I have given you plenty of examples. It's easy on the other side not buying boxes and only going after choice sketches. You can be selective but us buying cases have no choice, we only hope to get great sketches otherwise we lost a lot of money. Buying sketches is the east part because there is no risk.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2011, 10:29:09 PM by BumChex »

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #150 on: June 03, 2011, 10:35:35 PM »
One last thing. If you think Leslie is over inflating the market go and buy your own boxes and keep everything. It's only $50 a box so go get them. Put your own destiny in your own hands don't worry about other collectors. It's as easy as that. Buy boxes and quit bitching. So you buy 6 boxes and get 5 common and one Kaboo engstom as an example, well you just spent $300 + shipping and didn't get what you want. So all of a sudden paying $150 for a sketch you really wanted over inflates the price?

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #151 on: June 04, 2011, 03:21:07 AM »
It's so easy to say that prices are over inflated when you have no risk. I may buy a case and have one sweet pull but I risked buying a case and got a nice one but you maybe only offer $100 for it. To me that's an insult.
I want people to understand there's risk in buying a case at a time. It's easy for someone not taking that risk asking for a sweet deal on you best sketch pull from a case.

This is why I don't like to make "offers".  How am I supposed to know what a seller needs to get to balance their books?  All I can do is say what I'd be willing to pay, and chances are, I'll insult someone, entirely unintentionally.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #152 on: June 04, 2011, 09:23:23 AM »
This is why I don't like to make "offers".  How am I supposed to know what a seller needs to get to balance their books?  All I can do is say what I'd be willing to pay, and chances are, I'll insult someone, entirely unintentionally.
I meant something overly obvious like a tough artist Ghoul or monster. I post all of my sketches when I get the boxes in. Not all are available as I'm also building my own collection but I get offers like would you sell the Gross Ghoul for $100. I'm like 'are you serious?'. Or all I get in a case is 2 nice camera's and I'll get an offer for $150 for both when I just sold them both for $200 each. Anyone can make offers but most know the market and what artists and what characters are the most sought after. If you offered me $50 for an Engstrom that is not an insulting offer because he did so many. Same with offering $10 for a Lynch except the Ghoul because that is what the market is at.

Offline Duznt

• - John K -
« Reply #153 on: June 04, 2011, 09:24:28 AM »

My feelings exactly. I hesitate making offers on sketches because I have no idea what they're worth. I understand sellers needing to get top dollar by "taking offers", but it would make things a lot easier if they would just post some asking prices.

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #154 on: June 04, 2011, 10:10:25 AM »
I think that is enough rational on this subject. I have given you plenty of examples. It's easy on the other side not buying boxes and only going after choice sketches. You can be selective but us buying cases have no choice, we only hope to get great sketches otherwise we lost a lot of money. Buying sketches is the east part because there is no risk.

I almost take it that you look at Old School boxes as something akin to scratch tickets, which seems weird to me. 

I'm reminded of a visit to a baseball card shop in the early 90's, two young kids, maybe 12-years-old, buying packs of cards, and opening them right there in the store.  They would immediately sell "valuable" pulls back to the owner right there.  It was weird to me then and seemed the furthest thing from the hobby I had enjoyed for so long.  They were gamblers and little business men more than they were collectors, at least what I had always considered collectors.

You buy a case and you've SPENT a great deal of money, sure.  But to frame that as "losing money" if you don't pull "great sketches"...  If that's really your assesment, then you've started to transform the experience to something akin to scratch-off tickets, or sort of what those kids were doing in that card store back in 1991, haven't you?

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #155 on: June 04, 2011, 10:17:16 AM »
I almost take it that you look at Old School boxes as something akin to scratch tickets, which seems weird to me.  

I'm reminded of a visit to a baseball card shop in the early 90's, two young kids, maybe 12-years-old, buying packs of cards, and opening them right there in the store.  They would immediately sell "valuable" pulls back to the owner right there.  It was weird to me then and seemed the furthest thing from the hobby I had enjoyed for so long.  They were gamblers and little business men more than they were collectors, at least what I had always considered collectors.

You buy a case and you've SPENT a great deal of money, sure.  But to frame that as "losing money" if you don't pull "great sketches"...  If that's really your assesment, then you've started to transform the experience to something akin to scratch-off tickets, or sort of what those kids were doing in that card store back in 1991, haven't you?

No, he hasn't really, because he's doing it to build his sketch collection, not trying to sell everything nice on ebay to make money. Honestly, the limiting case of what Brad and Leslie are doing would be that they just buy all the boxes, split up the sketches they want (or can afford to keep), and dump everything else to recoup costs.

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #156 on: June 04, 2011, 12:57:12 PM »
No, he hasn't really, because he's doing it to build his sketch collection, not trying to sell everything nice on ebay to make money. Honestly, the limiting case of what Brad and Leslie are doing would be that they just buy all the boxes, split up the sketches they want (or can afford to keep), and dump everything else to recoup costs.

If Brad had a fortune to burn I'd agree with your assessment. But spending so much money on sketch cards, of all things, for a working Joe with a wife and kids, looks more to me like an addiction requiring therapy. I can't help but wonder if his kids will get to go to college.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #157 on: June 04, 2011, 01:35:16 PM »
If Brad had a fortune to burn I'd agree with your assessment. But spending so much money on sketch cards, of all things, for a working Joe with a wife and kids, looks more to me like an addiction requiring therapy. I can't help but wonder if his kids will get to go to college.

I guess everyone has something that really motivates them. I certainly don't get the whole sketch card thing. The fun of collecting vintage items is never knowing where to look or when something you really want will turn up. It's also fun finding
old stuff in really nice shape. Whatever it is that fuels my fire as a collector, sketch cards don't stoke it.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #158 on: June 04, 2011, 03:11:08 PM »

You guys really have no clue as to what I'm doing. I'm having a blast with the sketches and building up a very nice collection. Marc and Leslie's will probably be a much nicer collection but it's not a competition. All everyone can do is assume. I've also given away a bunch of stuff at no cost. I've helped out many collectors getting great deals on sketches. I enjoy the whole hobby. All everyone thinks is that I'm spending a lot of money. Your right, Topps is probably making a nice profit. No one knows how much I've sold and traded either. I have a spreadsheet of what I buy and sell.
Since everyone is speculating I will tell you that I have spent $26K and I have sold $26K worth of sketches. I am down $55 at this point. I now have over 130 keeper sketches and it cost me $55. There you have it, no more speculation. I'm just about done buying boxes as I only vision needing a couple more to have a perfect sketch collection (in my eyes). I have nothing to hide and I have no problem telling anyone any of this.
I did lose about $2000 on ANS7 though and that won't happen again with ANS8.
Now while were at it why doesn't everyone share their financial statements.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #159 on: June 04, 2011, 03:44:24 PM »

I think you're very canny to have pulled that off. Especially cool if you have a blast doing it. If I could do something similar with vintage items I enjoy I'd be all over it.

As for financial statements, what exactly would you like to know?

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #160 on: June 04, 2011, 03:49:21 PM »

As for financial statements, what exactly would you like to know?

It was a joke regarding my spending and selling. What people don't know is I have given away a bunch of OLDS2 unopened packs, boxes, concept cards, & 5X7's for free. I am having a blast and I know it will end soon.

Offline deadpresidentsvisa

« Reply #161 on: June 04, 2011, 03:50:14 PM »
                                              You and Greg Grant need to do lunch
"DID YOU TRY MONKEYING WITH IT" FROM *THE HOT ROCK*....ROBERT REDFORD...ZERO MOSTEL

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #162 on: June 04, 2011, 03:51:17 PM »

You analogy of scratch tickets holds no water. This is no different than you buying a box of ANS7 hoping for a gold or sketch. Sometimes you get lucky and sometimes you don't. That's all there is to it.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #163 on: June 04, 2011, 03:55:57 PM »

You and Greg Grant need to do lunch

Just speaking for myself - I think that Greg and I are totally different. He is a business man selling stuff on his site. I'm a collector that doesn't have pages of for sale items. Me selling is no different than trading. I sell what I don't want to accumulate the stuff I do. Nothing different.
Why did you sell me some postcard sets unopened. You are no different than Greg. You bought to make a profit off them. You didn't sell them to me for what you paid so how are you any different?
« Last Edit: June 04, 2011, 03:57:36 PM by BumChex »

« Reply #164 on: June 04, 2011, 03:56:20 PM »
You analogy of scratch tickets holds no water. This is no different than you buying a box of ANS7 hoping for a gold or sketch. Sometimes you get lucky and sometimes you don't. That's all there is to it.
So what would you say the odds are for pulling old school sketch card keepers,good  bad or somewhere in between?
"DID YOU TRY MONKEYING WITH IT" FROM *THE HOT ROCK*....ROBERT REDFORD...ZERO MOSTEL

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #165 on: June 04, 2011, 03:58:28 PM »
So what would you say the odds are for pulling old school sketch card keepers,good  bad or somewhere in between?

You generally get about 2 keeper sketches per case. I was lucky with my last case and got about 15.

« Reply #166 on: June 04, 2011, 04:00:26 PM »
                     quote author=BumChex link=topic=1263.msg30603#msg30603 date=1307228157
I posted the postcard listing for $145.00 for 1 reason and 1 reason only,I was 110% positive their was 1 person that would pay it!!

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #167 on: June 04, 2011, 04:02:33 PM »
                    quote author=BumChex link=topic=1263.msg30603#msg30603 date=1307228157
I posted the postcard listing for $145.00 for 1 reason and 1 reason only,I was 110% positive their was 1 person that would pay it!!

So it's OK for you to sell something for a profit but no one else? :argue:

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #168 on: June 04, 2011, 04:15:16 PM »
You guys really have no clue as to what I'm doing. I'm having a blast with the sketches and building up a very nice collection. Marc and Leslie's will probably be a much nicer collection but it's not a competition. All everyone can do is assume. I've also given away a bunch of stuff at no cost. I've helped out many collectors getting great deals on sketches. I enjoy the whole hobby. All everyone thinks is that I'm spending a lot of money. Your right, Topps is probably making a nice profit. No one knows how much I've sold and traded either. I have a spreadsheet of what I buy and sell.
Since everyone is speculating I will tell you that I have spent $26K and I have sold $26K worth of sketches. I am down $55 at this point. I now have over 130 keeper sketches and it cost me $55. There you have it, no more speculation. I'm just about done buying boxes as I only vision needing a couple more to have a perfect sketch collection (in my eyes). I have nothing to hide and I have no problem telling anyone any of this.

Most of us know you're a family man and not a bachelor without any duty to wife or kids. You're posting all the time about how much you spend on boxes, sketches and paintings so you're making this stuff public. That leaves you open to criticism or at least some concern about your family and obsession. Marc doesn't post details of his spending habits and we know Leslie has money to burn. So anyway, it sounds like everything is fine in Bradland. Congrats on making back the bulk of your investment. That was quite a feat!

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #169 on: June 04, 2011, 04:36:53 PM »
Most of us know you're a family man and not a bachelor without any duty to wife or kids. You're posting all the time about how much you spend on boxes, sketches and paintings so you're making this stuff public. That leaves you open to criticism or at least some concern about your family and obsession. Marc doesn't post details of his spending habits and we know Leslie has money to burn. So anyway, it sounds like everything is fine in Bradland. Congrats on making back the bulk of your investment. That was quite a feat!
Yup, everything is just fine. Thanks for the concern!

« Reply #170 on: June 04, 2011, 05:10:16 PM »
                      quote author=BumChex link=topic=1263.msg30607#msg30607 date=1307228553
I have no problem with anyone making a profit,large profit,a modest profit or a reasonable profit.I am not saying your a dumbass for paying $145.00 for the postcard set,for all I know you got a colored sketch card.You and Leslie are adults and can spend your money anyway you please and I could care less how you spend your money.
PS.......your posts seem to take on a defensive tone,or maybe it is just me.

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #171 on: June 04, 2011, 05:29:30 PM »

You shouldn't have to explain or answer to anyone on this forum about your collecting habits or how much money you are spending on them.  How you spend your money is 100% your business and no one else's.  The biggest mistake people make is assuming your interests and collecting habits will be just like theirs, and if they don't match they don't understand it.  

As examples Dave collects unopened packs which I think are cool but from a collecting standpoint I have no interest in them.  Mark collects art which I also think is kind of cool and unique, but I have zero interest in collecting it.  Do I sit here and wonder why they collect things I don't have much interest in?  Hell no.  I respect what they collect and I don't expect them to have the same interests as me.  That would be silly.  
« Last Edit: June 04, 2011, 06:01:53 PM by Dr Popper »
Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)

Offline Duznt

• - John K -
« Reply #172 on: June 04, 2011, 05:41:04 PM »
You shouldn't have to explain or answer to anyone on this forum about your collecting habits or how much money you are spending on them.  How you spend your money is 100% your business and no one else's.  The biggest mistake people make is assuming your interests and collecting habits will be just like theirs, and if they don't match they don't understand it. 

As examples Dave collects unopened packs which I think are cool but from a collecting standpoint I have no interest in them.  Mark collects art which I also think is kind of cool and unique, but I have zero interest in collecting it.  Do I sit here and wonder why they collect things I don't have much interest in?  Hell no.  I respect what they collect and I don't expect them to have the same interests as me.  That would be silly. 

I agree, Brad doesn't owe anyone an explanation. However, seeing the numbers is astounding. Having 130 keeper sketches for only $55 is mind blowing. I hope at least one of those is a color sketch! :)  I wish I had the $ to attempt something like that on a smaller scale, but for me it would be a gamble and Murphy's Law would dictate I pull nothing but commons and not be able to break even. Heck I'm glad if I'm able to pull an uncommon out of my 5 boxes. I didn't bother buying more than that this series because of my bad luck with OldS1 boxes. I'd rather focus on the stickers anyhow...

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #173 on: June 04, 2011, 06:06:12 PM »
You shouldn't have to explain or answer to anyone on this forum about your collecting habits or how much money you are spending on them.  How you spend your money is 100% your business and no one else's.  The biggest mistake people make is assuming your interests and collecting habits will be just like theirs, and if they don't match they don't understand it. 

As examples Dave collects unopened packs which I think are cool but from a collecting standpoint I have no interest in them.  Mark collects art which I also think is kind of cool and unique, but I have zero interest in collecting it.  Do I sit here and wonder why they collect things I don't have much interest in?  Hell no.  I respect what they collect and I don't expect them to have the same interests as me.  That would be silly. 

I don't care how anyone spends their money but when they're so open about it and they have a wife and kids I take notice. Suppose someone here started spending all their money (and their spare time) on Wacky Packs, or booze, or whatever, to the detriment of their family. Would you sit back and "respect" that?

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #174 on: June 04, 2011, 07:31:42 PM »
I don't care how anyone spends their money but when they're so open about it and they have a wife and kids I take notice. Suppose someone here started spending all their money (and their spare time) on Wacky Packs, or booze, or whatever, to the detriment of their family. Would you sit back and "respect" that?

But how would you possibly know what's going on with his family life or his finances?  We don't even have close to all of the facts to judge his situation.  My gut would tell me that what he is doing is not at the expense of his family, but the way I look at it it's really not my business.  If I had a friend who was gambling and drinking too much, and spiraling out of control, yes, I would be concerned for my friend's situation.  What were talking about here is collecting Wackys as a hobby, and I trust that Brad knows what he is doing when it comes to spending his money. 

Just in case.........Brad, if you are uncontrollably addicted to sketch cards we are all here to help.  We could have a Wacky intervention! 

Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)