Author Topic: George Evans Wacky Packages art  (Read 3578 times)

Offline exceedrin

George Evans Wacky Packages art
« on: March 17, 2010, 04:47:45 PM »
Over at the W.O.W. site, in the History of Wacky Packages section, it states that "Relying on the talents of such comics artists as Kim Deitch, George Evans, Drew Friedman, Bill Griffith, Jay Lynch, Norman Saunders, Art Spiegelman, Bhob Stewart and Tom Sutton, the cards spoofed well-known brands and packaging...". The fact that George Evans did work on Wacky Packages is news to me; I am a great fan of George's art and am privileged to have signed original artwork that he gave me along with some comic books from my collection that he signed for me.
George was a wonderfully friendly man, with some amazing stories about his days working in the comic industry with the likes of Frank Frazetta. George and his wife lived in a small town very near to where I live and his daughter Carol and son-in-law Paul are friends of my wife and I. I had a chance to talk to him at length about "the good old days" at a Fourth of July picnic about a year before George passed away. It made my day to finally meet Mr. Evans after all those years of admiring his art.
Anyway, back on topic...can anyone provide me further information about what contributions George made to Wacky Packages? I'll have to take a closer look at the earlier Wacky stuff like posters or die-cuts (none of which I own) to see if I can spot some of his stuff.
Thanks!

Offline Sunstroke

• My Website
Re: George Evans Wacky Packages art
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2010, 05:09:23 PM »
I may be wrong, but I think George drew line art versions for various things of the painted pieces. I am not sure why I remember hearing that.
Looking for Saunders Art cards: Especially Wackies, Frankenstein stickers, Mars Attacks & Battle

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2010, 06:34:05 AM »
Correct, I believe all that Evans did was some of the line art drawings on the original series checklists. I believe Woody Gelman was trying to throw some work his way because he was such a big fan of EC.

Offline jaylynch

• World Record Sketch Artist
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2010, 08:42:38 AM »
George Evans converted some of the Wacky Packages into line art. These are printed on the check lists. They are printed very tiny, so you really couldn't tell that it was him.  Later, Evans did line art of all the Garbage Pail Kids for Topps.  These were used on Garbage Pail Kid products...Pencil sets, toys, etc.  I still have copies of Evans' GPK drawings in my files.  Recently the Topps Vault has been auctioning off the original art on these.  PM me, and I will send you a scan.  I don't know how to post pix on this forum yet.

Offline Duznt

• - John K -
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2010, 08:48:41 AM »
I don't know how to post pix on this forum yet.

When you are replying, look below the box you type text into and click the link that says "+Additional Options". Then you can click "browse" to find and attach your pic.

Offline Bhob

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2010, 09:10:37 AM »
Woody Gelman was not a "big fan of EC". When I edited the 1972 hardback reprint of EC Comics which he published, his focus was on doing a book of horror comics. I thought it would be better to do a book of the "best" EC Comics stories of all genres, but I eventually became aware that he didn't know what I was referring to because he had never read those stories.

Bhob @ http://potrzebie.blogspot.com

anything