Author Topic: Old School Sketch Want List w/Prices Paid  (Read 19824 times)

Offline Tic_Toc

• Tic...Tic...Tic...Toc!
Old School Sketch Want List w/Prices Paid
« on: March 17, 2010, 10:50:14 AM »
Listed below are the sketch cards I am still looking for and the price I will pay for each.  Please contact me if you have any of these that you would like to sell.

Batz Vampire  $160
Bubble Yuk  $100
Chef Girl-ar-dee  $100
Doctor Ono   $160
Doctor Popper  $160

Offline quas

Re: Old School Sketch Want List w/Prices Paid
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2010, 07:51:19 AM »
Not to get into a bidding war for a sketch card that hasn't (?) even shown up yet, but I'd pay $200 for a Dr. Ono........
Marc

Offline Tic_Toc

• Tic...Tic...Tic...Toc!
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2010, 08:39:34 AM »
Not to get into a bidding war for a sketch card that hasn't (?) even shown up yet, but I'd pay $200 for a Dr. Ono........

Good point - I  didn't realize they weren't even known to be in the hands of the forum collectors so far.  So yes, I'll see you and raise you $20 - $220 for a Dr. Ono!

Offline quas

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2010, 11:09:10 AM »
This is kinda fun.......bidding on an item that no one has yet turned up..........no firm commitment..............I'll go to $250!
Marc

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2010, 01:40:43 PM »
This is kinda fun.......bidding on an item that no one has yet turned up..........no firm commitment..............I'll go to $250!

If I get one I will let you both battle it out. The one that has less blood on their clothes and $2000 will get it :o

kezzy

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2010, 08:10:16 AM »
hi
ive got dr popper listed on ebay right now check it out

Offline BustedFinger

• Just a simple collector. No books, no websites, no arguments!
  • I wonder where this text will appear?
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2010, 09:05:39 AM »
hi
ive got dr popper listed on ebay right now check it out
Can you provide a link to the auction?
Giving "The Hobby" the finger since 1999!

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2010, 06:00:24 PM »
Can you provide a link to the auction?
Who got the Batz auctionshut down?
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline Campy

• work in progress
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2010, 07:48:10 PM »
I saw that too? I was watching to see what is was going to go for an then it was gone.

kezzy

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2010, 12:18:42 AM »
hi
im not sure how to provide a link but if you look on ebay under wacky packages sketch cards you will see it as i have it posted worldwide
hope that helps

Offline bandaches

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2010, 06:40:31 PM »
I saw that too? I was watching to see what is was going to go for an then it was gone.
I wrote the seller and said that whomever closed him down would obviously have been willing to bid too and that there seemed to be much interest in it.  The seller(RogerRAM) wrote me a snarky response that it sold for more than I realize, that everyone else only wants it to resell it and that I should go run along and play wiffleball on this nice day.  I am not sure how he drew the conclusion everyone here was merely interested in winning an ebay auction to resell it, that defies logic but maybe I am just not as smart as Roger.
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2010, 03:51:49 PM »

Yah, fun until one actually hits ebay!  Then it won't be fun anymore.  LOL  ($275.00 by the way).
Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2010, 06:14:34 PM »
I wrote the seller and said that whomever closed him down would obviously have been willing to bid too and that there seemed to be much interest in it.  The seller(RogerRAM) wrote me a snarky response that it sold for more than I realize, that everyone else only wants it to resell it and that I should go run along and play wiffleball on this nice day.  I am not sure how he drew the conclusion everyone here was merely interested in winning an ebay auction to resell it, that defies logic but maybe I am just not as smart as Roger.
He got an offer he couldn't refuse. It's tough with these auctions when everyone has a perceived idea of what a card is worth and what they are willing to sell or pay for it. I emailed the guy with the Dr. Popper and asked him if he would sell it off ebay and how much. He said he wouldn't so I just put in my bid of what I willing to buy it for. I would have offered him $200 but ended up getting it for $130. I get people all the time asking me if I would accept an offer off ebay. I would rather use ebay as a selling tool then to have to pay the high fee's. It never hurts to ask and the seller could make more money without the fee's. Most sellers are sick of the ebay fee's and want to put a high price on it to see what it will attract. It's cheaper to list then it is to sell. Even look at the color Pupsi auction. He has no intention of selling it for that much but he wants people to contact him to work out a deal. Some people might not think that is ethical but a lot of sellers prefer it. It does suck not to get a chance at winning the auction so you should at least try and see if the guy will sell it off ebay if you really want it. I have only done it a couple times and it was hit and miss. I have only closed down my auctions a couple times as well in the 11 years I have been on ebay when I got an offer that I didn't think the card would sell for.

Offline Tic_Toc

• Tic...Tic...Tic...Toc!
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2010, 06:32:18 PM »
He got an offer he couldn't refuse. It's tough with these auctions when everyone has a perceived idea of what a card is worth and what they are willing to sell or pay for it. I emailed the guy with the Dr. Popper and asked him if he would sell it off ebay and how much. He said he wouldn't so I just put in my bid of what I willing to buy it for. I would have offered him $200 but ended up getting it for $130. I get people all the time asking me if I would accept an offer off ebay. I would rather use ebay as a selling tool then to have to pay the high fee's. It never hurts to ask and the seller could make more money without the fee's. Most sellers are sick of the ebay fee's and want to put a high price on it to see what it will attract. It's cheaper to list then it is to sell. Even look at the color Pupsi auction. He has no intention of selling it for that much but he wants people to contact him to work out a deal. Some people might not think that is ethical but a lot of sellers prefer it. It does suck not to get a chance at winning the auction so you should at least try and see if the guy will sell it off ebay if you really want it. I have only done it a couple times and it was hit and miss. I have only closed down my auctions a couple times as well in the 11 years I have been on ebay when I got an offer that I didn't think the card would sell for.

I don't disagree with your approach to ebay; I'm all for avoiding their ever-increasing fees.  But in this case, the seller originally posted that card for sale on the other Forum.  So I wrote to him (within a few hours) and said I was interested in buying it.  Never heard from him.  Then I saw he listed on ebay, so I thought "No problem - I'll just bid on it and we'll see if I win."  But then he pulls it down right away, and I never even had a chance to make an offer.  I hope he got more than $200 for it, because that's what I would have bid, if he'd left it alone, or bothered to respond to my PM.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2010, 06:37:01 PM »
I don't disagree with your approach to ebay; I'm all for avoiding their ever-increasing fees.  But in this case, the seller originally posted that card for sale on the other Forum.  So I wrote to him (within a few hours) and said I was interested in buying it.  Never heard from him.  Then I saw he listed on ebay, so I thought "No problem - I'll just bid on it and we'll see if I win."  But then he pulls it down right away, and I never even had a chance to make an offer.  I hope he got more than $200 for it, because that's what I would have bid, if he'd left it alone, or bothered to respond to my PM.

It's a total crap shoot. If they are regular sellers they will usually jump at an out of ebay opportunity. It was funny, I bought a case of Flashbacks from Lockwood and he instantly replied to me 'what the hell are you doing buying this on ebay' (or something like that). He said he uses ebay to attract new customers and I should have emailed him direct if I wanted to buy anything and he also would probably have a better price for it off ebay.
If someone sends me a message with a decent offer off ebay I will take it. I have a perception of what I want for the auction and if it's the price then I will take it and avoid fee's. It never hurts to ask.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2010, 06:41:44 PM »
Also, he may not have had his PM notification turned on because I am sure a forum member would jump at a chance to sell off ebay. Sometimes the problem with selling to forum members is that we tend to sell stuff a bit under valued to help out other forum members. Some people just want to see what they can get. I sold the one-off card that is on the poster for $250 to a private collector. That same collector purchased my other one-off that I had on ebay for $650. I basically left $400 on the table. I know of others that undervalued the sketches when they first came out.
Also, today I pulled the same nitwit card that has been selling on ebay for around $200. This is the second one I have pulled and I sold my first one for $100. I really think this card is probably worth around the $160 range because I think there is only about 20 or so. I could be wrong so I may hold on to this one.

Offline bandaches

« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2010, 10:34:58 PM »
Roger has somehow decided everyone here was only interested in buying it to flip it to make a profit per his response to me when I wrote him on ebay.  It seems obvious the bidding would have been driven to well over $200 and whomever shut him down would of course have bid too.

Offline Kook

« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2010, 06:19:51 AM »
I don't disagree with your approach to ebay; I'm all for avoiding their ever-increasing fees.  But in this case, the seller originally posted that card for sale on the other Forum.  So I wrote to him (within a few hours) and said I was interested in buying it.  Never heard from him.  Then I saw he listed on ebay, so I thought "No problem - I'll just bid on it and we'll see if I win."  But then he pulls it down right away, and I never even had a chance to make an offer.  I hope he got more than $200 for it, because that's what I would have bid, if he'd left it alone, or bothered to respond to my PM.

I wrote him about the Batz sketch from his forum post too. Same thing - no reply, and same here, I figured I'd bid on ebay when it surfaced, and to a max of around $200. Why bother posting an item for sale if you don't even intend to respond to someone interested??? It would have also been nice to see a scan, which I also asked for by ebay pm, since he said it had yellow highlights. Same result - no response... If he didn't respond to anybody interested in buying it, maybe he never actually sold it? He may have changed his mind when he saw all the interest. It seems, at times, that we all want what someone else wants. Maybe it was just a test for him... If you are looking to maximize value, why only talk to 1 person (the alleged buyer) and ignore others? Something doesn't add up.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2010, 06:25:54 AM by billf »

Offline bandaches

« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2010, 08:02:55 AM »
I wrote him about the Batz sketch from his forum post too. Same thing - no reply, and same here, I figured I'd bid on ebay when it surfaced, and to a max of around $200. Why bother posting an item for sale if you don't even intend to respond to someone interested??? It would have also been nice to see a scan, which I also asked for by ebay pm, since he said it had yellow highlights. Same result - no response... If he didn't respond to anybody interested in buying it, maybe he never actually sold it? He may have changed his mind when he saw all the interest. It seems, at times, that we all want what someone else wants. Maybe it was just a test for him... If you are looking to maximize value, why only talk to 1 person (the alleged buyer) and ignore others? Something doesn't add up.
Like I mentioned to everyone, his response to me on ebay was that he convinced himself everyone here was only interested in the title to flip it.  I have no idea how he came to that conclusion.  I am hoping he lost out on some money because of it.

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2010, 04:29:13 PM »
Like I mentioned to everyone, his response to me on ebay was that he convinced himself everyone here was only interested in the title to flip it.  I have no idea how he came to that conclusion.  I am hoping he lost out on some money because of it.

Is that the same Roger that was on Greg's forum a little?
Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)

Offline Sunstroke

• My Website
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2010, 08:13:43 PM »
I inquired too,not to flip, but because "scary" wacky's are my favorites. He should have let the auction run, I know it would have done better. Never heard back from him as well.   >(
Looking for Saunders Art cards: Especially Wackies, Frankenstein stickers, Mars Attacks & Battle

Offline bandaches

« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2010, 09:26:02 PM »
Is that the same Roger that was on Greg's forum a little?
He referred to himself as RogerRAM and his ebay id says he is from Massachusetts, would that be the same guy?

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2010, 09:59:11 AM »
He referred to himself as RogerRAM and his ebay id says he is from Massachusetts, would that be the same guy?
I believe it is. I got word he was having trouble getting onto our forum. I sent him a PM from the other forum but haven't heard back.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2010, 11:12:47 AM »
I just pulled a Vamp Drack Sketch. I am debating to let you guys fight it out on ebay :o
I am actually off for vacation in a few hours so I am not sure if I will put it up or not. It would have to be a 7 day auction. I would think it would fetch in the $300 range.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2010, 11:19:00 AM »
I just pulled a Vamp Drack Sketch. I am debating to let you guys fight it out on ebay :o
I am actually off for vacation in a few hours so I am not sure if I will put it up or not. It would have to be a 7 day auction. I would think it would fetch in the $300 range.
Very cool!  Can you post a scan here?

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2010, 12:42:41 PM »
Very cool!  Can you post a scan here?

Actually I just sold it and shipped it off. That was a fast turn around. It's the same one on the poster.

Offline Campy

• work in progress
« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2010, 08:17:16 PM »
is this the sketch we are talking about?

Offline Tic_Toc

• Tic...Tic...Tic...Toc!
« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2010, 08:25:37 PM »

Is that your card that you scanned?  If so, do you want to trade or sell it?  Please PM me if interested.

Offline Campy

• work in progress
« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2010, 08:35:51 PM »
Yes, this is my personal card I pulled out of my first set of boxes I opened. I thought it was cool so i keep it  in reading the post here it appears to be in high demand so I'm glad i didn't trade it. I think i'll hold on to it unless I get an offer I can't refuse.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2010, 09:13:13 PM »
yes, that is the one I pulled. The price I couldn't refuse was $400. I think this card could really go high on eBay but didn't want to deal with it.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #30 on: April 05, 2010, 03:43:51 PM »
Is that your card that you scanned?  If so, do you want to trade or sell it?  Please PM me if interested.

I just put both the Chef girl and Batz on ebay. Both in the same auction:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230458578932

Offline jaylynch

• World Record Sketch Artist
« Reply #31 on: April 07, 2010, 06:33:52 AM »
Are you  guys saying that the Vampire sketch is worth $400?   I'm not sure how many I did of that....More than 50....Less than 100, I think.
But this sketch is worth $400?  Is this the case?  Maybe I should open my boxes and see what's there.   So far I just opened one box, which
contained the Dums sketch.

Offline Tic_Toc

• Tic...Tic...Tic...Toc!
« Reply #32 on: April 07, 2010, 10:04:54 AM »
Are you  guys saying that the Vampire sketch is worth $400?   I'm not sure how many I did of that....More than 50....Less than 100, I think.
But this sketch is worth $400?  Is this the case?  Maybe I should open my boxes and see what's there.   So far I just opened one box, which

Jay,

So far, only a few Batz sketches have turned up that I've heard of, and only 2 were put up for sale on ebay.  The first sold cheap as BIN, but that was before anybody knew which sketches were rare and which were common.  The vampire seems to have a lot of appeal, so unless a bunch turn up, I'd guess it will sell in the $200 to $400 among die-hard collectors.  The colored sketches and "exotics" are worth even more than Batz, so I'd say there's plenty of incentive to kill the boxes - could be worth a couple thousand if you pull the right colored sketch card.

By the way, let me just reinforce the general sentiment that your sketch card totally rock!  I like the Old School main set OK, but the sketch cards for me are by far the coolest mass-released wacky item we've seen since ANS started in 2004.  I love a lot of the cards done by the newer artists, and the various chase sets have been a nice addition.  But being able to get a hand-drawn Jay Lynch original sketch out of a factory sealed pack is just incredible!  I know it was a tremendous amount of work for you to create all these, and I must say I'm amazed at the quality.  Every card I've seen is beautifully drawn; far better than any other sketch card set I've seen for other non-sports cards.  I hope that if there is an OS 2, they commission you to create another round of sketches - it really makes the set special!

Offline Playskull

« Reply #33 on: April 07, 2010, 10:13:13 AM »
I think there were many of us who felt there were far less than the 80 or so Batz sketches you estimate doing.  I personally thought 25 to 50 at most were out there. For a while there, they just weren’t turning up.   But over the past week or so, it seems they are finally starting to surface.  As with anything, all it takes are a few people who really, really want something for prices to get temporarily out of whack.  I think, knowing what we know now, that $400 is absurd and wouldn’t expect a b&w Batz to get that regularly.  I could be wrong though.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2010, 10:14:44 AM by Playskull »

Offline bandaches

« Reply #34 on: April 07, 2010, 10:16:54 AM »
I think there were many of us who felt there were far less than the 80 or so Batz sketches you estimate doing.  I personally thought 25 to 50 at most were out there. And for a while there, they just weren’t turning up.   But over the past week or so, it seems they are finally starting to surface.  As with anything, all it takes are a few people who really, really want something for prices to get temporarily out of whack.  I think, knowing what we know now, that $400 is absurd and wouldn’t expect a b&w Batz to get that regularly.  I could be wrong though.
My theory is that Topps "random" distribution of sketches was horrible and the titles Jay did last such as Ajerx were plentiful early on as those first rounds of boxes were loaded with those.  I am starting to wonder if some of the pereceived "rare" titles like Batz were done early and are sitting in unsold boxes ie LIFO system in play here, Last in, first out.  It is the only thing that makes sense based on Jay's recollection of counts here.

anything