Author Topic: OLD SCHOOL 1 POSTER SKETCH SETS!  (Read 14115 times)

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
OLD SCHOOL 1 POSTER SKETCH SETS!
« on: November 05, 2010, 11:15:57 AM »

I finally had time to finish off some sets of the Poster sketches, and I have 5 more sets ready to go. 

Just as a reminder of what I'm selling, I bought a batch of Old School series 1 sketch posters from Topps, and I take them and add a sticker backing to the poster sheet prior to cutting them up, to make them look and feel like trading cards.  Just as a comparison they end up being slightly heavier than a typical tan-backed Wacky, but not as heavy as a white-backed one.  Without the added backing they feel way too flimsy because the poster stock is too light, but once I add the backings they really come out like regular trading cards and they look great!

All of the titles included on the poster will be included in this set, so 84 cards total, 50 in 4/C and 34 B&W's.  The only other thing I want to mention, is that the image area from title-to-title don't line up perfectly because these are poster sheets not designed to be cut-up into cards, so when I make straight cuts through the rows there are some slight variances with some of the card sizes, and it can't be avoided.  The variances are very slight, like maybe 1/32", but when you put the cards into a full neat stack they aren't perfect like you would find with a stack of ANS7 cards for example.  When you put them into a binder book they look great and you won't notice the variances.  Also, the backs are white, but even though I apply a sticker backing to them these are not designed to be peelable stickers.  They are permanent cards.   

I will be selling these sets for $100.00 on eBay but I'm going to sell them for $75.00 to forum members, so figure $77.00 including shipping.  If you want a set please PM and I'll give you my paypal info.  If you have any questions you can ask on the thread so everyone can read them.   

I posted a sample picture of how they look in a binder sleeve, as well as stacked.

Dave has already said that they plan on doing Old School Series 2 posters, so now that I have a pretty good system down (these are a pain in the neck to make) I will plan on doing them again!

Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)

wackyone

Re: OLD SCHOOL 1 POSTER SKETCH SETS!
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2010, 11:59:19 AM »
Great idea,,i was thinkin' of maybe using a thin dry mounting sheet before cutting it up but went ahead and did it without.
Had i known i maybe would have went this way,but it turned out good,with them back to back in each page they filled about 4 pages,but havin' em on some kind of card stock would be nicer.

I really love the detailed b&w cards and this is a great way for people to enjoy a set,it takes a while to cut up a poster and do a nice job so this is fair deal folks. :great:

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2010, 12:52:28 PM »
Great idea,,i was thinkin' of maybe using a thin dry mounting sheet before cutting it up but went ahead and did it without.
Had i known i maybe would have went this way,but it turned out good,with them back to back in each page they filled about 4 pages,but havin' em on some kind of card stock would be nicer.

I really love the detailed b&w cards and this is a great way for people to enjoy a set,it takes a while to cut up a poster and do a nice job so this is fair deal folks. :great:

Thanks, it is a great way to get an example of all of the sketch cards. Believe it or not the hardest part of this project is applying the adhesive stock.  I bought 25" wide rolls that I use, and it took a while to figure out how to apply it without air bubbles!  I have trashed around 4 posters by screwing them up.  For collectors who care about quantity it looks like about 20 sets will be sent out.  I bought 25 posters but around 5 will be trashed.

Online RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2010, 05:11:56 AM »
Thanks, it is a great way to get an example of all of the sketch cards. Believe it or not the hardest part of this project is applying the adhesive stock.  I bought 25" wide rolls that I use, and it took a while to figure out how to apply it without air bubbles!  I have trashed around 4 posters by screwing them up.  For collectors who care about quantity it looks like about 20 sets will be sent out.  I bought 25 posters but around 5 will be trashed.

Rob, I'm thrilled with my set!!  You did a fantastic job, and I'll be back for Old School 2 if you do those as well.  Thanks again!

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2010, 06:49:59 AM »
Rob, I'm thrilled with my set!!  You did a fantastic job, and I'll be back for Old School 2 if you do those as well.  Thanks again!

Sounds good! 

Offline quas

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2010, 11:03:02 AM »
I'm thrilled with my set as well!!  Fantastic job, Rob!!!!!   ;D
Marc

Offline Pupsi-Cola

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2010, 07:26:39 PM »
I finally had time to finish off some sets of the Poster sketches, and I have 5 more sets ready to go. 

Just as a reminder of what I'm selling, I bought a batch of Old School series 1 sketch posters from Topps, and I take them and add a sticker backing to the poster sheet prior to cutting them up, to make them look and feel like trading cards.  Just as a comparison they end up being slightly heavier than a typical tan-backed Wacky, but not as heavy as a white-backed one.  Without the added backing they feel way too flimsy because the poster stock is too light, but once I add the backings they really come out like regular trading cards and they look great!

All of the titles included on the poster will be included in this set, so 84 cards total, 50 in 4/C and 34 B&W's.  The only other thing I want to mention, is that the image area from title-to-title don't line up perfectly because these are poster sheets not designed to be cut-up into cards, so when I make straight cuts through the rows there are some slight variances with some of the card sizes, and it can't be avoided.  The variances are very slight, like maybe 1/32", but when you put the cards into a full neat stack they aren't perfect like you would find with a stack of ANS7 cards for example.  When you put them into a binder book they look great and you won't notice the variances.  Also, the backs are white, but even though I apply a sticker backing to them these are not designed to be peelable stickers.  They are permanent cards.   

I will be selling these sets for $100.00 on eBay but I'm going to sell them for $75.00 to forum members, so figure $77.00 including shipping.  If you want a set please PM and I'll give you my paypal info.  If you have any questions you can ask on the thread so everyone can read them.   

I posted a sample picture of how they look in a binder sleeve, as well as stacked.

Dave has already said that they plan on doing Old School Series 2 posters, so now that I have a pretty good system down (these are a pain in the neck to make) I will plan on doing them again!

Very nice job here Rob, I doubt very much you'll still have quite a few of these by the time we get together for the Philly show, But if you do, I'd like to get 1 from you then.

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2010, 11:21:00 AM »
Very nice job here Rob, I doubt very much you'll still have quite a few of these by the time we get together for the Philly show, But if you do, I'd like to get 1 from you then.

If I sell them out and I still have a demand for more I can always try to get another 15-20 from Topps and do more.  Maybe I'll order another small batch of series 1 when I buy the Series 2 posters.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2010, 10:49:05 AM »
That's funny you mentioned $75 on the forum and that is what the set sold for on ebay. I wonder if your time is worth $50 (minus fees and materials) to put these together. They sure do look cool though.

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2010, 11:55:47 AM »
That's funny you mentioned $75 on the forum and that is what the set sold for on ebay. I wonder if your time is worth $50 (minus fees and materials) to put these together. They sure do look cool though.

That's true but it's actually not a fair comparison because the eBay auction did NOT include the b&w set, just the 4c set, so $75.00 for both is definitely a much better deal. 

That $50.00 you mentioned is about right, and with the time it takes to do them if it was down to $25.00 it probably wouldn't be worth it. 

Maybe I should split them up into singles.  Did you see the Marc's auction of misc. singles?  Crazy!

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2010, 12:17:03 PM »
That is crazy because there's nothing there. Strange.

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2010, 12:34:11 PM »
That is crazy because there's nothing there. Strange.

I know, sometimes auction results don't make any sense.  When Marc bought a 4c set from me I had dupes of 3 cards, and when he pointed it out to e I sent him the correct 3 getting him complete.  He asked me if he could keep and sell the extra 3 and I said of course, I don't need them.  He ended up getting around $25.00 for the 3 which I never would have guessed!  Maybe I should break my sets up into random groups of #'s like 3, 10, 15, etc., and have Marc sell them for me. LOL!

Offline wormypackages

« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2010, 05:16:28 PM »

The set is fantastic.  Thanks!

Offline Kook

« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2011, 11:13:45 AM »
Rob,
Do you plan on doing sets of these from the old school 2 sketch poster?

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2011, 11:48:07 AM »
Rob,
Do you plan on doing sets of these from the old school 2 sketch poster?

Yes, as long as I can get a batch of them at a similar cost from Topps I definitely plan on doing it again.  I will make them a little cheaper this time too.  Now that I have a system with them I should be able to bang them out quicker, and I am hoping I can sell more sets by knocking the price down a bit. 

Offline Kook

« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2011, 01:33:03 PM »
Thanks. Count me in for a set when you make them.

Yes, as long as I can get a batch of them at a similar cost from Topps I definitely plan on doing it again.  I will make them a little cheaper this time too.  Now that I have a system with them I should be able to bang them out quicker, and I am hoping I can sell more sets by knocking the price down a bit. 

Offline rdsjnk

« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2011, 02:48:23 PM »
Hey Rob, count me in also!!   :great:

Offline quas

« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2011, 05:36:54 PM »
Me too!  :0012392:
Marc

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2011, 06:04:55 PM »
I should be able to bang them out
Once your done banging them maybe I can get one you havent banged. I hate sloppy seconds :D

Online RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2011, 05:46:23 PM »

I'd definitely like a set.  Thanks Rob!

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2011, 09:00:24 AM »

I just placed an order for 25 sketch posters so I should start to have sets in a couple of weeks!

Offline rdsjnk

« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2011, 02:17:03 PM »
Awesome!!!! :0012394: :0012395: :08: :1rij:

Offline quas

« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2011, 02:54:33 PM »
Fantastic!!!   :great: :06:
Marc

anything