Author Topic: OLDS 2 Sketch Posts - Spoilers  (Read 179699 times)

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
Re: OLDS 2 Sketch Posts - Spoilers
« Reply #175 on: April 01, 2011, 09:35:54 AM »
Thanks for sharing this perspective on the issue, Dave.  It IS awesome to have a sketch drawn by some of these Wacky legends. 

I think this is a case of unrealistic expectations.  For Old School one, we were told that each box would get a Jay Lynch "sketch".  But what Jay produced was something that I think few artists would call a sketch.  What Jay produced were far closer to finished illustrations than what I'd consider a sketch.   And so when some folks are pulling an actual sketch - there is a moment of "huh? what's this?"  There was for me, when I pulled my Zapata sketch, but then I shook my head, and literally I said out lout - "Well, duh, this is a sketch."  And looking at it like that, I can appreciate it. 

I agree. I think the expectations have grown sky high because of the quality of recent sketch cards. These have transcended far from the sketch cards some other sets offer. I wouldn't even call most of these sketch cards anymore, more like art cards. We have been spoiled.

As for individual artists, I know we all have our own likes and dislikes. I kinda find myself drawn to two extremes. The simple but bold cards that Jay has done are terrific and I think these look sharp when colored because of the way they snap the eye. I also really like all the Fred Wheaton cards I have seen from this series.  Almost for the opposite reason I like Jay's work. The amount of detail Fred gets into such  small pieces is amazing but they still come across as clean and uncluttered.
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline Duznt

• - John K -
« Reply #176 on: April 01, 2011, 09:41:14 AM »
I think this is a case of unrealistic expectations.  For Old School one, we were told that each box would get a Jay Lynch "sketch".  But what Jay produced was something that I think few artists would call a sketch.  What Jay produced were far closer to finished illustrations than what I'd consider a sketch.   And so when some folks are pulling an actual sketch - there is a moment of "huh? what's this?"  There was for me, when I pulled my Zapata sketch, but then I shook my head, and literally I said out lout - "Well, duh, this is a sketch."  And looking at it like that, I can appreciate it. 

Bingo!

Offline deadpresidentsvisa

« Reply #177 on: April 01, 2011, 10:01:09 AM »
                                 JACKPOT...........NOW THEIRS AN EXCELLENT SCRABBLE WORD
"DID YOU TRY MONKEYING WITH IT" FROM *THE HOT ROCK*....ROBERT REDFORD...ZERO MOSTEL

Offline Crakola Crayons

• 10+ years of homemades
  • "...I'll stop the world and melt with you..."
    • Martin's View (blog about music, TV, movies and comics)
« Reply #178 on: April 01, 2011, 10:04:50 AM »
I agree with Jason and others in the sentiment that there are sketches and then there are those that go well-beyond sketch level.  Having gone to comic shows a decade or so ago, I would see the two extremes. 

There were those artists that would do a quick sketch ("a minute or less") to go with their autograph as a fan appreciation thing.  Heck, I even have some DC Comics writers who would do "sketches" next to their signatures.  These would be considered a little rough but they are meant to be.

The other end is full blown art - the kind you pay an artist in Artists' Alley to do for your collection to hang on a wall.  These tended to take much more time, but you were paying the artist to do that.  You'd get full inks then, shading, sometimes color, etc.

The OLDS1 sketches by Jay were much closer to this later end.  Even if he knocked them off in five minutes, he put a lot of care and effort into them.

My blog on music, comics, film and more - Martin's View - http://mcmaenza.blogspot.com/

Offline FourRoses

« Reply #179 on: April 01, 2011, 10:15:22 AM »

I'm sorry but I feel that my 9 year old daughter could have colored that in. Why is this amazing art? I don't get it? Also, the few Simko sketches I pulled I also don't think he really gave a shit about this series. I don't get it. You are an artist among your peers and you don't bring your 'A' game? It feels like you just passed the time drawing passable sketches to get through with your job. It really shows how much you cared about this series that dave put his heart and soul into. Sorry if i this is too harsh but this needs to be said. I think the other artist such as Camera put their heart and soul into this series. I dont want to leave anyone out but from what I have seen most Simko and Bhob sketches have been sub par. You guys are dealing with real collectors but I feel you are mocking our experience. Why should I feel this way. Please chime in on this.

Allow me to interject a few thoughts and observations:

1.) I don't disagree the card in question isn't one of the nicest but it is still a nice card and one that most people would enjoy finding in their envelope. Not taking a jab at you (I apologize if I am mixing you up with someone else) but many people aren't in the position to buy almost 100 boxes so when you see that card, you are tickled to death. The coloreds you showed us are wonderful but then again, you opened many a box.

2.) One thing we've learned from the postcard series and OS1 & 2, all of these artists are known for their certain panache. One artist looks as if he places the same effort in every sketch he makes regardless if it is highly detailed, colored, b/w, etc.., Another looks as if he could be a school teacher with his penmanship. Another seems to draw rather light and fine while another strikes me as somewhat abstract. All of them are unique and all of em are 1 of 1!

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #180 on: April 01, 2011, 11:02:35 AM »
Now that is a great Simko sketch. I didn't mean to be rude by my comments but when you get a sketch like this one you just get upset.

I did get some more boxes in this morning and I did get a couple of Joe's nicer sketches. I think he has redeemed himself in my eyes. I will scan and post soon.

There are definitely some better than others.  We need to treat them almost like we do with condition with the 1970's series, where we get one that's OK but then try to upgrade it later.   
Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #181 on: April 01, 2011, 11:06:06 AM »
Uh oh! I did do 20 pencil sketches...

I'm sure there are plenty of collectors who like the pencil sketches, and you can't please everyone!

Offline Tic_Toc

• Tic...Tic...Tic...Toc!
« Reply #182 on: April 01, 2011, 11:08:34 AM »
I agree with Jason and others in the sentiment that there are sketches and then there are those that go well-beyond sketch level.  Having gone to comic shows a decade or so ago, I would see the two extremes. 

There were those artists that would do a quick sketch ("a minute or less") to go with their autograph as a fan appreciation thing.  Heck, I even have some DC Comics writers who would do "sketches" next to their signatures.  These would be considered a little rough but they are meant to be.

The other end is full blown art - the kind you pay an artist in Artists' Alley to do for your collection to hang on a wall.  These tended to take much more time, but you were paying the artist to do that.  You'd get full inks then, shading, sometimes color, etc.

The OLDS1 sketches by Jay were much closer to this later end.  Even if he knocked them off in five minutes, he put a lot of care and effort into them.

I must admit that I too was underwhelmed by the quality of the Kook-Aid color sketch, but as others have pointed out, Jay Lynch has set the bar so so high that anything short of a finished masterwork looks a bit amateurish by comparison.  And having been lucky enough to be at a Philly Show gathering back in 2005 when Jay did some personal sketches on the fly, I must say he has THE best hand for sketching I've ever witnessed.  In less than 10 minutes (and sitting in an uncomfortable chair after hours of hanging out and drawing stuff for people), he knocked out an amazing 8x10 Pupsi sketch for me (I'll try to attach it; not sure how that works).  The thing looks like it would have taken an hour or two to draw; evey line and cross-hatch is perfectly executed, and the proportions are dead-on perfect.  It really made me appreciate what a truly talented artist Jay is, and his sketch cards are consistently incredible.

Offline Hustler08

• I Hustle for Wacky Packs!!!
« Reply #183 on: April 01, 2011, 11:13:31 AM »
I thought you guys were playing some kind of April Fools joke when you mentioned Joe's sketches! Personally, I think he's got some of the best ones out there! Every one of his drawings is unique (which is really hard to do!). Besides, I think some of his best cards are still waiting to be pulled, but that said, I'd be really happy to get any Simko sketch card!

Good! I will sell you mine when I get it!!  >:D ( just kidding.. April Fool's - Mr. FoolAid..BTW your sketches and rough art, in one word, Awesome!! I own them from all the ANS series...

BTW..no offense BUT I have to agree with Bumchex..seems like less of an effort and the colored sketch a little sloppy...we all have a right to critique..no biggie..its probably quite hard to keep with JAY LYNCH sketches anyhey....they're BLUE CHIPPPER... :o

Offline Crakola Crayons

• 10+ years of homemades
« Reply #184 on: April 01, 2011, 11:18:40 AM »
Tic_Toc, I had the pleasure of meeting Jay in San Diego at ComicCon around the time the Silly CDs were out (he was at their booth promoting them for the work he did on that set).  He was very happy to sign my Comicbook Creators book (which I use to get autographs from folks in the comics field).  He did a quick ten second sketch to go with his message to me that looks fantastic (it was one of the characters from his underground days in comics) in my book.  As you said, he clearly has the knack at doing these - a great eye for design and a confidence with an ink pen that many of us would kill to have even a percentage of.  He is a true master in every sense of the word.
My blog on music, comics, film and more - Martin's View - http://mcmaenza.blogspot.com/

Offline wacked

• My home page
« Reply #185 on: April 01, 2011, 03:15:56 PM »
Just to show one of the extreme ends of sketch cards (not Wacky related) - here is a sketch I pulled from a Marvel series (artist Mark Brooks) ....

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #186 on: April 01, 2011, 03:41:40 PM »
Just to show one of the extreme ends of sketch cards (not Wacky related) - here is a sketch I pulled from a Marvel series (artist Mark Brooks) ....

Now that's a sketch!

Offline NEZHEAD42

« Reply #187 on: April 01, 2011, 03:46:04 PM »

Va Va Voom!
"What's the point of being grown up, if you can't act childish?" - Doctor Who

Offline Crakola Crayons

• 10+ years of homemades
« Reply #188 on: April 01, 2011, 04:04:04 PM »
wacked, now that's how to set the bar really high! 

Offline DrSushi

« Reply #189 on: April 01, 2011, 04:38:38 PM »
Allow me to interject a few thoughts and observations:

1.) I don't disagree the card in question isn't one of the nicest but it is still a nice card and one that most people would enjoy finding in their envelope. Not taking a jab at you (I apologize if I am mixing you up with someone else) but many people aren't in the position to buy almost 100 boxes so when you see that card, you are tickled to death. The coloreds you showed us are wonderful but then again, you opened many a box.

2.) One thing we've learned from the postcard series and OS1 & 2, all of these artists are known for their certain panache. One artist looks as if he places the same effort in every sketch he makes regardless if it is highly detailed, colored, b/w, etc.., Another looks as if he could be a school teacher with his penmanship. Another seems to draw rather light and fine while another strikes me as somewhat abstract. All of them are unique and all of em are 1 of 1!

As the collector who pulled the sketch in question, I remain thrilled to pull a Bhob (sounds like a euphemism for something), much less a colored Bhob. No offense to the current artists (most of whom seem to be creating wonderful sketches), but getting a sketch from one of the original Wacky artists means something special to me. Especially since it was the only box I pre-ordered.

Offline Monsterettes

« Reply #190 on: April 01, 2011, 04:40:46 PM »
I'm sure there are plenty of collectors who like the pencil sketches, and you can't please everyone!
Yeah, I actually really like pencil sketches.  To each his own said the old lady as she kissed the cow!   :-*

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #191 on: April 01, 2011, 04:43:58 PM »
As the collector who pulled the sketch in question, I remain thrilled to pull a Bhob (sounds like a euphemism for something), much less a colored Bhob. 

From what I've heard, pulling a colored Bhob is a big thing!

Offline Liquidfox

« Reply #192 on: April 01, 2011, 04:54:10 PM »
Man you guys better take it, easy Jay's head might explode.

In all seriousness that man is probably the predominant pen and ink artist of his generation (my opinion).

Offline Monsterettes

« Reply #193 on: April 01, 2011, 05:11:45 PM »
Here are mine... 

Everyone's taste is different of course, but I love my Simko and the Bhob -- great work guys!

Offline weirdo1

« Reply #194 on: April 01, 2011, 09:58:57 PM »
Fantastic set!!!  Great sketches by all involved.  I opened 14 boxes so far.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #195 on: April 01, 2011, 10:26:40 PM »

You got a great mix!

Offline paste_anyplace

• is just this guy, you know?
    • Fred Wheaton's home page at hipsteria.com
« Reply #196 on: April 02, 2011, 03:19:35 AM »

I love the Mark Parisi Kook-Aid with the fish, and that Engstrom Sue Mee is a funny interpretation.

Offline FourRoses

« Reply #197 on: April 02, 2011, 07:29:36 AM »
As the collector who pulled the sketch in question, I remain thrilled to pull a Bhob (sounds like a euphemism for something), much less a colored Bhob. No offense to the current artists (most of whom seem to be creating wonderful sketches), but getting a sketch from one of the original Wacky artists means something special to me. Especially since it was the only box I pre-ordered.

That's the point being made. We have a handful of colored sketches revealed in this topic so naturally they will be compared against each other and opinions will form. When the day ends though, it still remains a unique sketch that anyone would enjoy receiving.

Online RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #198 on: April 02, 2011, 07:36:21 AM »
The Simko Ghoul Humor sketch I pulled is one of my favorites.  Granted, it's lighter than the others I got, but it is incredibly detailed.

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #199 on: April 02, 2011, 08:21:39 AM »
You got a great mix!

He sure did!  I would be very pleased with that batch.  I love the Griffith Ghoul.

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #200 on: April 02, 2011, 08:22:28 AM »
The Simko Ghoul Humor sketch I pulled is one of my favorites.  Granted, it's lighter than the others I got, but it is incredibly detailed.

The nice thing about the penciled sketches is if you don't like it you can just erase it!

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #201 on: April 02, 2011, 09:19:08 AM »
The nice thing about the penciled sketches is if you don't like it you can just erase it!
LOL. I actually removed some detail from the sketches!

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #202 on: April 02, 2011, 09:30:35 AM »
LOL. I actually removed some detail from the sketches!

Just don't use one of those red erasers.  They can leave a permanent reddish stain on some kinds of paper! 

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #203 on: April 02, 2011, 10:54:20 AM »
Got my Sketch poster today. Promptly cut it up and now have a pretty substantial Psuedo OS 2 Sketch Collection :)

DrDeal

Offline weirdo1

« Reply #204 on: April 02, 2011, 11:19:38 AM »
He sure did!  I would be very pleased with that batch.  I love the Griffith Ghoul.

I'm thrilled with the mix!  I love the uniqueness of each artist's interpretation.  I also love the different look of the 3x5's.  A+++++. :great: 

Offline kidwacky

« Reply #205 on: April 02, 2011, 07:12:24 PM »
I orederd only one box from the second round of pre-orders. I missed the first round. I pulled a color sketch.

Offline Campy

• work in progress
« Reply #206 on: April 02, 2011, 08:13:41 PM »
That is SO cool, Really like that sketch!! Congratulations!

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #207 on: April 02, 2011, 08:14:38 PM »
The mailman delivered an item from Wowyzowy today. I ordered one of the OS2 sketch card posters.
There are some very nice sketches from all the artists on the poster. Dave, or whomever selected the
particular sketches, did a nice job of of representing all the characters and all the artists. There are 84
sketch cards shows.  

Here are the sketches broken down in different ways:

COLORATION:
=============
Colored: 34
Black and White: 50  (of these, 10 have significant blackened areas... like partially painted giving a more dramatic affect than simple cross-hatching, etc.).

ARTIST:
=============
11 Griffith
11 Zapala
11 BHOB
11 Lynch
5 Smokin' Joe
5 Gross
5 Simko
5 Engstrom
5 Kirscht
5 Camera
5 Parisi
5 Wheaton

CHARACTER:
==========
6 Mrs. Klean
5 Dog
5 Mister Faulty
5 Playskull
5 Ghoul
5 Blue Beanie
5 Wormy
5 Sue Me
5 Peanuts
4 Panther
4 Ka-Boo
4 IOU
4 Gurgle
4 Jerkitol
3 Kook-Aid
3 Aqua Hellva
3 Blunder
3 Scary Lee
3 Thinkees
3 Light Bulbs

« Last Edit: April 03, 2011, 07:50:30 AM by sco(o)t »
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #208 on: April 03, 2011, 12:13:10 AM »
Here are the 5 sketches I got. The Bhob Stewart has an upside-down back like the one Brad noticed earlier.

What are those things everyone is drawing on Sue Bee's face. Warts? I just noticed they're on the original art too.

Offline Hustler08

• I Hustle for Wacky Packs!!!
« Reply #209 on: April 03, 2011, 04:57:53 AM »
What are those things everyone is drawing on Sue Bee's face. Warts? I just noticed they're on the original art too.

Bee bites...honey ----- bees..get it...

anything