Author Topic: OLDS 2 Sketch Posts - Spoilers  (Read 179678 times)

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
Re: OLDS 2 Sketch Posts - Spoilers
« Reply #140 on: March 31, 2011, 03:27:17 PM »
Wow the color sketches look fantastic. The clown with that orange background is amazing.
I've seen some really nice b/w ones posted also. Neil's Scary Lee that Brad pulled is my favorite so far. Can't wait to see the stickers Monday!

I think Jay's clean and bold drawings really lend themselves to the color sketches. I really like the way he shades the color characters, usually using minimal colors like the color Gurgle above.
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline Crakola Crayons

• 10+ years of homemades
  • "...I'll stop the world and melt with you..."
    • Martin's View (blog about music, TV, movies and comics)
« Reply #141 on: March 31, 2011, 03:43:03 PM »
Post pics!
I don't have a functioning scanner any more.  I'll try to get a digital picture this weekend.
My blog on music, comics, film and more - Martin's View - http://mcmaenza.blogspot.com/

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #142 on: March 31, 2011, 03:56:50 PM »
I don't have a functioning scanner any more.  I'll try to get a digital picture this weekend.

Dude, you have an iPhone

Offline Sunstroke

• My Website
« Reply #143 on: March 31, 2011, 03:59:52 PM »
First, the set in general is AWESOME! The cardboard of the box, the weight of the stickers, the Parodies & paintings, are all INCREDIBLE> Without a doubt, the most successful Wacky release since the glory years of the original run. I can't say enough about how great these stickers are. I actually had the taste of a strawberry BB Bat hit my mouth when I saw the sticker. Incredible. David, you really, really nailed this!

Here are my 3 sketches. I of course was hoping for some ghouls , vampires and frankensteins, but no biggie, I'll pick them up second hand. On a more personal note I LOVE the Lynch Blue Beanie. This was  a very difficult character to draw, the proportions are so odd, and for him to nail it with such clarity and economy of line speaks volumes to his talent.

Looking for Saunders Art cards: Especially Wackies, Frankenstein stickers, Mars Attacks & Battle

Offline mallomartian

« Reply #144 on: March 31, 2011, 04:32:34 PM »
Here is my sketch by Matthew Kirscht

As usual, Im not sure who it is, but I love him! (mysketch that is)

Good job to all who worked on the set :great:

« Last Edit: March 31, 2011, 04:34:59 PM by mallomartian »

Offline Campy

• work in progress
« Reply #145 on: March 31, 2011, 05:37:01 PM »
Here is what I pulled, I wanted a Neil and got three

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #146 on: March 31, 2011, 05:43:13 PM »
First, the set in general is AWESOME! The cardboard of the box, the weight of the stickers, the Parodies & paintings, are all INCREDIBLE> Without a doubt, the most successful Wacky release since the glory years of the original run. I can't say enough about how great these stickers are. I actually had the taste of a strawberry BB Bat hit my mouth when I saw the sticker. Incredible. David, you really, really nailed this!

Here are my 3 sketches. I of course was hoping for some ghouls , vampires and frankensteins, but no biggie, I'll pick them up second hand. On a more personal note I LOVE the Lynch Blue Beanie. This was  a very difficult character to draw, the proportions are so odd, and for him to nail it with such clarity and economy of line speaks volumes to his talent.

(Image removed from quote.)

That Blue Beanie is flawless!  It's so nice it almost doesn't look hand-drawn.
Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)

Offline Monsterettes

« Reply #147 on: March 31, 2011, 05:43:59 PM »

Those are so cool Mark ;D   Boy, the more I see of everyone's sketches the more impressed I am!

Offline DrSushi

« Reply #148 on: March 31, 2011, 05:44:04 PM »
I feel a bit bad that the one sketch from my single preorder box turned out to be a color sketch (but mostly I'm thrilled). Thanks again to those of you who sacrificed some of your preorder for those of us that missed out.

Here it is:

Offline Sunstroke

• My Website
« Reply #149 on: March 31, 2011, 05:44:34 PM »

Wow! So many Winners!
Looking for Saunders Art cards: Especially Wackies, Frankenstein stickers, Mars Attacks & Battle

Offline View Monster

• Sights For Sore-Eyes
  • ___ a.k.a. wackyfan ___
    • Non-Sport trading cardz
« Reply #150 on: March 31, 2011, 05:45:15 PM »
Here's mine:

Offline Sunstroke

• My Website
« Reply #151 on: March 31, 2011, 05:45:21 PM »
That Blue Beanie is flawless!  It's so nice it almost doesn't look hand-drawn.

thanks, that is what I thought too. A real keeper.

Offline Sunstroke

• My Website
« Reply #152 on: March 31, 2011, 05:45:44 PM »
That Simko is wonderful!

Offline Tic_Toc

• Tic...Tic...Tic...Toc!
« Reply #153 on: March 31, 2011, 05:58:20 PM »
I feel a bit bad that the one sketch from my single preorder box turned out to be a color sketch (but mostly I'm thrilled). Thanks again to those of you who sacrificed some of your preorder for those of us that missed out.

Here it is:

Wow - congrats Mike!  That's a terrific pull from only a single box!  My lone pre-sale box hasn't arrived yet, but hopefully I'll get something cool as well.

Offline DrSushi

« Reply #154 on: March 31, 2011, 06:10:51 PM »
Wow - congrats Mike!  That's a terrific pull from only a single box!  My lone pre-sale box hasn't arrived yet, but hopefully I'll get something cool as well.

Thanks, Craig. I didn't have much hope, but apparently hope doesn't matter in pulling a color sketch. Good luck with your sketch!

Offline deadpresidentsvisa

« Reply #155 on: March 31, 2011, 06:33:30 PM »
                                                      ALL FIRST QUALITY.......SCARY IS MOVING TO NEW ORLEANS.......GONEZO

"DID YOU TRY MONKEYING WITH IT" FROM *THE HOT ROCK*....ROBERT REDFORD...ZERO MOSTEL

Offline Hustler08

• I Hustle for Wacky Packs!!!
« Reply #156 on: March 31, 2011, 06:54:30 PM »

(Image removed from quote.)

I have that blue beanie as well...awesome...will post later....

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #157 on: March 31, 2011, 06:56:59 PM »

Wow! I want those Camera sketches. I also love the ghoul sketch.

Offline Gurgle

• recommends zircon-encrusted tweezers
« Reply #158 on: March 31, 2011, 07:28:49 PM »

Here it is:

Nice! Congrats!!

Offline paste_anyplace

• is just this guy, you know?
    • Fred Wheaton's home page at hipsteria.com
« Reply #159 on: March 31, 2011, 11:07:38 PM »
Wow! I want those Camera sketches. I also love the ghoul sketch.

That Ghoul sketch is one of a small number of "combo" sketches that I did. I had the Scary Lee vampire stalking a couple of the other characters.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #160 on: March 31, 2011, 11:12:51 PM »

Here it is:

I'm sorry but I feel that my 9 year old daughter could have colored that in. Why is this amazing art? I don't get it? Also, the few Simko sketches I pulled I also don't think he really gave a shit about this series. I don't get it. You are an artist among your peers and you don't bring your 'A' game? It feels like you just passed the time drawing passable sketches to get through with your job. It really shows how much you cared about this series that dave put his heart and soul into. Sorry if i this is too harsh but this needs to be said. I think the other artist such as Camera put their heart and soul into this series. I dont want to leave anyone out but from what I have seen most Simko and Bhob sketches have been sub par. You guys are dealing with real collectors but I feel you are mocking our experience. Why should I feel this way. Please chime in on this.

Offline paste_anyplace

• is just this guy, you know?
    • Fred Wheaton's home page at hipsteria.com
« Reply #161 on: March 31, 2011, 11:18:05 PM »
Here are the 5 sketches I got. The Bhob Stewart has an upside-down back like the one Brad noticed earlier.

« Last Edit: March 31, 2011, 11:19:36 PM by paste_anyplace »

Offline NEZHEAD42

« Reply #162 on: March 31, 2011, 11:41:16 PM »

I'm sorry but I feel that my 9 year old daughter could have colored that in. Why is this amazing art? I don't get it? Also, the few Simko sketches I pulled I also don't think he really gave a shit about this series. I don't get it. You are an artist among your peers and you don't bring your 'A' game? It feels like you just passed the time drawing passable sketches to get through with your job. It really shows how much you cared about this series that dave put his heart and soul into. Sorry if i this is too harsh but this needs to be said. I think the other artist such as Camera put their heart and soul into this series. I dont want to leave anyone out but from what I have seen most Simko and Bhob sketches have been sub par. You guys are dealing with real collectors but I feel you are mocking our experience. Why should I feel this way. Please chime in on this.
I would tend to agree. I have not been impressed with any of the Bhob sketches and the Simko have been hit or miss (mainly miss). The Planters that Simko did (posted above) is the best one of his that I have seen. All the other color sketches have made me "Ooh" and "Aah" out loud with admiration. That Bhob colored Kook-Aid made me say "What THE fuck!" I could have done better coloring at age 8. Since the other sketches displayed by all the other artists have been really cool, it does feel like Bhob and Simko put absolutly no effort into this project.
"What's the point of being grown up, if you can't act childish?" - Doctor Who

Offline lucidjc

« Reply #163 on: March 31, 2011, 11:53:41 PM »
I just got my 5 pre-orders today!!!  I'm just sitting down now to open 1 box. My biggest fear is i will pull a Simko sketch. I'm with Bum on this one. So much in fact, I have 2 unopened Halloween Postcard Packs, and i fear 1 (or GOD forbid both) contain Simko sketches (both bought aftermarket, and still regenerating new limbs from the purchase). Dont get me wrong, his ART is great, but I'm sorry I dont think he should have been asked back as a sketch artist.

P.S. I did not get any poster adds in my Pre-orders.  :'(

Offline lucidjc

« Reply #164 on: April 01, 2011, 12:01:27 AM »
Here are the 5 sketches I got. The Bhob Stewart has an upside-down back like the one Brad noticed earlier.

Maybe they saw his colored "kook" and said dont bother sending in any other colored sketches

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #165 on: April 01, 2011, 08:29:08 AM »
Hey all,

I would hope people will be more respectful of the artists that worked on the sketches. One man's favorite is another man's least. Mike (from Toppsvault) and myself absolutely love many of Joe's sketches. I saw every one of them and there are a ton of great ones. His work has a ton of energy and exaggeration. It's his style. He does deviate a bit from the standard interpretation of the character on some of them but that's half the fun. Bhob Stewart is a Topps institution. He is an original Wacky Pack rough artist and Topps editor. He doesn't draw all that much nowadays but it was cool to get him for his history. Both artists are on the board as well.

My sketches (which I don't think have appeared yet) I did some weird experimenting with mediums so I'm sure some might not appeal to certain people. I was in a crazy mood working on them just wanting to do some weird stuff to keep myself entertained.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2011, 08:30:48 AM by slamjim »

Offline deadpresidentsvisa

« Reply #166 on: April 01, 2011, 08:38:56 AM »
Hey all,

I would hope people will be more respectful of the artists that worked on the sketches. One man's favorite is another man's least. Mike (from Toppsvault) and myself absolutely love many of Joe's sketches. I saw every one of them and there are a ton of great ones. His work has a ton of energy and exaggeration. It's his style. He does deviate a bit from the standard interpretation of the character on some of them but that's half the fun. Bhob Stewart is a Topps institution. He is an original Wacky Pack rough artist and Topps editor. He doesn't draw all that much nowadays but it was cool to get him for his history. Both artists are on the board as well.

My sketches (which I don't think have appeared yet) I did some weird experimenting with mediums so I'm sure some might not appeal to certain people. I was in a crazy mood working on them just wanting to do some weird stuff to keep myself entertained.
AGREED,HOPEFULLY THE SAME BUNCH WILL BE WORKING ON OLDS 3
"DID YOU TRY MONKEYING WITH IT" FROM *THE HOT ROCK*....ROBERT REDFORD...ZERO MOSTEL

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #167 on: April 01, 2011, 08:40:48 AM »
I thought you guys were playing some kind of April Fools joke when you mentioned Joe's sketches! Personally, I think he's got some of the best ones out there! Every one of his drawings is unique (which is really hard to do!). Besides, I think some of his best cards are still waiting to be pulled, but that said, I'd be really happy to get any Simko sketch card!
« Last Edit: April 01, 2011, 08:44:10 AM by koduck »

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #168 on: April 01, 2011, 09:06:13 AM »

Thanks for sharing this perspective on the issue, Dave.  It IS awesome to have a sketch drawn by some of these Wacky legends. 

I think this is a case of unrealistic expectations.  For Old School one, we were told that each box would get a Jay Lynch "sketch".  But what Jay produced was something that I think few artists would call a sketch.  What Jay produced were far closer to finished illustrations than what I'd consider a sketch.   And so when some folks are pulling an actual sketch - there is a moment of "huh? what's this?"  There was for me, when I pulled my Zapata sketch, but then I shook my head, and literally I said out lout - "Well, duh, this is a sketch."  And looking at it like that, I can appreciate it. 
Jason Liebig - A swell TV host (currently on History Channel) who used to oversee Marvel Comics' X-Men - now creator and curator of WishbookWeb.com and CollectingCandy.com, a celebration of candy packaging, marketing and the people behind it all

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #169 on: April 01, 2011, 09:09:31 AM »
I thought you guys were playing some kind of April Fools joke when you mentioned Joe's sketches! Personally, I think he's got some of the best ones out there! Every one of his drawings is unique (which is really hard to do!). Besides, I think some of his best cards are still waiting to be pulled, but that said, I'd be really happy to get any Simko sketch card!

I personally don't care for penciled sketches, and it wouldn't matter who drew them.  I just don't like how light they look next to the others.  Joe is capable of some great stuff though.  Check out this Jerkitol a friend of mine pulled.  It's F'in beautiful!
Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #170 on: April 01, 2011, 09:17:24 AM »
I personally don't care for penciled sketches, and it wouldn't matter who drew them.  I just don't like how light they look next to the others.  Joe is capable of some great stuff though.  Check out this Jerkitol a friend of mine pulled.  It's F'in beautiful!

Yep, that's what I'm talking about - that's amazing!

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #171 on: April 01, 2011, 09:17:58 AM »
Now that is a great Simko sketch. I didn't mean to be rude by my comments but when you get a sketch like this one you just get upset.

I did get some more boxes in this morning and I did get a couple of Joe's nicer sketches. I think he has redeemed himself in my eyes. I will scan and post soon.

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #172 on: April 01, 2011, 09:20:40 AM »
I personally don't care for penciled sketches, and it wouldn't matter who drew them. 

Uh oh! I did do 20 pencil sketches...

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #173 on: April 01, 2011, 09:24:34 AM »
Here are the non repeats I pulled this morning. No colors :'(
I think I'm about done buying boxes now. I believe I have all the characters by various artists. Overall I'm very satisfied with my pulls.  

Wait! I haven't pulled a Dave Gross sketch yet!

Offline Duznt

• - John K -
« Reply #174 on: April 01, 2011, 09:35:24 AM »
Hey all,

What Dave said... Cut Bhob some slack. He's been working on Wackys since the beginning, and as Dave pointed out probably doesn't draw much these days. My uncle in his late years was the same - the only medium he could work with were those large artist markers (Chartpak, etc). But I treasure each drawing he made for me. I'll feel the same way about any of Bhob's, if I'm lucky enough to get any. Look at any Wacky color rough. Bhob's color Kook-aid is exactly that - a mini color rough.

I too like Simko's warped interpretations of the Wacky characters. Remember, they are "Wacky" characters after all.

Also remember, these are "sketches", people. That's all they have to be. They're not disrespecting Dave at all by not creating a full blown work of art. They're each unique, and a cool bonus addition to a great Wacky Package series.

anything