Author Topic: Wacky Truck  (Read 11792 times)

Offline NEZHEAD42

Wacky Truck
« on: February 12, 2011, 06:11:17 PM »
"What's the point of being grown up, if you can't act childish?" - Doctor Who

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
Re: Wacky Truck
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2011, 06:43:32 PM »
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline Ducko

• (Now on as Porkie)
  • (Now on as Porkie)
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2011, 06:59:07 PM »
Seriously. You could buy a LOT of real Wackys for that much $$$!  :great:

Offline Playbug

• Visit my website !
    • jeffxmusic.com
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2011, 07:50:43 PM »
I wish I could afford this. This is really cool.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180624790250&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Wonder if the Beastball truck pictured on the packaging ever surfaced?
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2011, 08:01:16 PM »
Wonder if the Beastball truck pictured on the packaging ever surfaced?
No, it hasn't.

I have the Garbage Can-dy one and Plan9's is this one (Gadzooka). Only two known so far. Would be very cool to see the Beastball one show up, though.

Offline Sue Mee

• and Sometimes I'm LipOff
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2011, 10:11:18 PM »
No, it hasn't.

I have the Garbage Can-dy one and Plan9's is this one (Gadzooka). Only two known so far. Would be very cool to see the Beastball one show up, though.

For some reason I thought there was a second sticker set of BeastBall in the package. Could have sworn someone posted that.
Sue Mee is AKA LipOff
My Home-Made Wackys

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2011, 12:56:24 AM »
For some reason I thought there was a second sticker set of BeastBall in the package. Could have sworn someone posted that.
All three stickers are included with each truck.

Offline Choke_Wagon

• Yeeeeeeeee-ha!
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2011, 06:03:24 AM »
its a little excessive. Only for the hardcore :]

Offline Crakola Crayons

• 10+ years of homemades
  • "...I'll stop the world and melt with you..."
    • Martin's View (blog about music, TV, movies and comics)
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2011, 06:57:30 AM »
its a little excessive. Only for the hardcore :]

I totally agree.  Waaaay to rich for my blood.  My wife would kill me if I spent that kind of money on anything like that.
My blog on music, comics, film and more - Martin's View - http://mcmaenza.blogspot.com/

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2011, 09:34:44 AM »
All three stickers are included with each truck.

Yes but one of them is always stuck on the truck, correct?  I need the Gadzooka sticker but if it's already stuck on the truck it's unfortunately no good for me. 
Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2011, 02:57:12 PM »
Yes but one of them is always stuck on the truck, correct?  I need the Gadzooka sticker but if it's already stuck on the truck it's unfortunately no good for me. 
I can't tell if it's sticking to the truck or still has it's backing.

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2011, 03:23:49 PM »
I had always assumed they slid on the truck hence you could swap them in and out and explained why they provided three with the truck. Bad assumption?
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2011, 07:30:03 PM »
I had always assumed they slid on the truck hence you could swap them in and out and explained why they provided three with the truck. Bad assumption?

I don't think so, but I'm not 100% sure.  I think the one on the truck is stuck on.  Tom, can you confirm this?

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2011, 12:23:50 PM »
I don't think so, but I'm not 100% sure.  I think the one on the truck is stuck on. Tom, can you confirm this?
I wish I could, but I'm uncertain, myself. I've always made the same assumption Ernie has, that you could exchange them at will, which is why all three are included. I volunteered to open mine to examine it more closely for the good of the hobby, but was discouraged in doing so. Mine isn't nearly as well-sealed as Mark's, so it would be less of a "loss"...I'll take a closer look at it and report back anything I can determine, but I wouldn't hold my breath on any revelations, lol.

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2011, 01:21:56 PM »
I wish I could, but I'm uncertain, myself. I've always made the same assumption Ernie has, that you could exchange them at will, which is why all three are included. I volunteered to open mine to examine it more closely for the good of the hobby, but was discouraged in doing so. Mine isn't nearly as well-sealed as Mark's, so it would be less of a "loss"...I'll take a closer look at it and report back anything I can determine, but I wouldn't hold my breath on any revelations, lol.

Maybe they are still intact as stickers and are tack-glued in position on the truck.  Based on the pics I've seen it looked stuck to me though.

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2011, 04:00:16 PM »

I wanted to chime in, since I owned a couple of the loose stickers for a short time.   

I cannot be certain, but I would seriously doubt that the design was that you could change out the stickers.  I'd figure, if the intent was to change them out, that they'd have created little truck-side-cards, that would slide onto some holding bracket, rather than a thin, peel-away sticker.  This is also what you might call a "cheap" toy, and as such, the sticker-to-be-stuck option makes more sense, and is cheaper and easier to produce.  Because of that, I think the odds are that the stickers were meant to be stuck on the truck, and aren't held on by any other means.
Jason Liebig - A swell TV host (currently on History Channel) who used to oversee Marvel Comics' X-Men - now creator and curator of WishbookWeb.com and CollectingCandy.com, a celebration of candy packaging, marketing and the people behind it all

Offline Choke_Wagon

• Yeeeeeeeee-ha!
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2011, 11:24:37 PM »
I wanted to chime in, since I owned a couple of the loose stickers for a short time.  

I cannot be certain, but I would seriously doubt that the design was that you could change out the stickers.  I'd figure, if the intent was to change them out, that they'd have created little truck-side-cards, that would slide onto some holding bracket, rather than a thin, peel-away sticker.  This is also what you might call a "cheap" toy, and as such, the sticker-to-be-stuck option makes more sense, and is cheaper and easier to produce.  Because of that, I think the odds are that the stickers were meant to be stuck on the truck, and aren't held on by any other means.

Also probably manufactured in Hong Kong before the Chinese invasion we see today. How have times change, it's actually impossible to find anything made in Hong kong, it's all moved mainland. As mentioned, I quick cheap slap on was probably the option

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2011, 01:57:06 AM »
Also probably manufactured in Hong Kong before the Chinese invasion we see today. How have times change, it's actually impossible to find anything made in Hong kong, it's all moved mainland. As mentioned, I quick cheap slap on was probably the option
There's enormous production going on in Hong Kong. You can't tell by reading labels though because for some reason Hong Kong is required to label their products "Made in China".

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2011, 06:39:53 AM »
I'll take a closer look at it and report back anything I can determine, but I wouldn't hold my breath on any revelations, lol.
Looking at it more closely, it does actually appear that the label is stuck on to the side of the truck. Kind of weird. How do they expect one to change it? You may be right, Rob, it could be they just tack glued it there and it'll pop off easily.

Also, it does say "Made in Hong Kong" on the package just under the middle group of wheels.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2011, 06:43:39 AM by bigtomi »

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2011, 03:15:02 PM »
Looking at it more closely, it does actually appear that the label is stuck on to the side of the truck. Kind of weird. How do they expect one to change it? You may be right, Rob, it could be they just tack glued it there and it'll pop off easily.

Thanks, hard to say for sure without one out of the bubble packaging though. 

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2011, 03:29:24 PM »
Thanks, hard to say for sure without one out of the bubble packaging though. 
The labels probably stick without glue like the can labels. But the tackiness might no longer exist.

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2011, 05:38:11 AM »
The labels probably stick without glue like the can labels. But the tackiness might no longer exist.

I just checked the two loose unstuck stickers I have and they have a white sticker backing on them that you obviously peel off to put them on the truck.  My curiosity is whether or not the Gadzooka on your truck still has that backing on it or if it's stuck on with the sticker backing removed.  The smart thing would have been to have the mfg. tack glue them in place, but that doesn't mean much.

Offline NEZHEAD42

« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2011, 10:30:18 AM »
Although I was looking up info on a Kenner Six Million Dollar Man catalog booklet, I ran across this toy catalog on Plaid Stallion. The last page of the catalog features the Wacky Truck.

http://www.plaidstallions.com/racktoys/fleetwood/82.html
« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 11:54:41 AM by NEZHEAD42 »
"What's the point of being grown up, if you can't act childish?" - Doctor Who

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2011, 10:56:15 AM »
Although I was looking up info on a Kenner Six Million Dollar Man catalog booklet, I ran across this toy catalog on Plaid Stallion. The last page of the catalog features the Wacky Truck and is also shown on the cover.

Wow, nice find!  That's pretty cool.  Now we know for sure they were sold retail.

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2011, 11:47:47 AM »
Although I was looking up info on a Kenner Six Million Dollar Man catalog booklet, I ran across this toy catalog on Plaid Stallion. The last page of the catalog features the Wacky Truck and is also shown on the cover.

Intersting discovery. It shows the Gadzooka truck and the Beastball truck. Which one does Bigtomi have? Maybe these are the only two formats.

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2011, 06:23:59 PM »
Intersting discovery. It shows the Gadzooka truck and the Beastball truck. Which one does Bigtomi have? Maybe these are the only two formats.
I have Garbage Can-dy, so all three seem to exist, though we haven't actually seen a Beastball in the package, right?

Very cool find, BTW. Guess it wasn't a big seller, LOL.

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2011, 08:35:30 PM »
I have Garbage Can-dy, so all three seem to exist, though we haven't actually seen a Beastball in the package, right?
You're right. The Beastball truck in the catalog is not in a package so we can't confirm it ever came that way.

Offline bandaches

« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2011, 04:39:07 PM »
Wow, nice find!  That's pretty cool.  Now we know for sure they were sold retail.
I wonder if some day a case of these will show up like what happened with the once scarce party pack wackys.
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2011, 06:34:31 AM »
I wonder if some day a case of these will show up like what happened with the once scarce party pack wackys.

...and the cello funpacks! I actually paid $40 for one years ago, now they can be had for about $5.....

Offline bandaches

« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2011, 03:16:56 PM »
...and the cello funpacks! I actually paid $40 for one years ago, now they can be had for about $5.....
Good point, I can still make a complete set of series 8 with Cello's. 

anything