Author Topic: Big League Chew retrospective.  (Read 12650 times)

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
Big League Chew retrospective.
« on: January 11, 2011, 02:19:40 PM »
Howdy, gang.

Big League Chew, the shredded pouch bubble gum that, since its' introduction in 1980, was produced and sold by Amurol/Wrigley, is now going to be produced and sold by the Ford Gum company.  The deal took effect January 1st, 2011, and beyond the sale and distribution, Ford is also moving production back to the United Sates - and I think that's pretty cool.

To celebrate that, I did a big retrospective of the Big League Chew packaging I have in my collection, and even posted some of the other Amurol-produced pouch bubble gum from the 80's I have.  I thought you guys might dig seeing it all.  

It's about 30 images all-together, and you can see it all on my Flickr, but I'm going to post a trio of the highlights here:

Amurol-Wrigley - Big League Chew - shredded bubble gum pouch package - 1980 by JasonLiebig, on Flickr

Amurol-Wrigley - Buckaroo Chew - shredded bubble gum pouch package - 1981 by JasonLiebig, on Flickr

Amurol-Wrigley - Popeye - shredded bubble gum pouch package - 1981 by JasonLiebig, on Flickr
« Last Edit: January 29, 2011, 10:34:50 PM by JasonLiebig »
Jason Liebig - A swell TV host (currently on History Channel) who used to oversee Marvel Comics' X-Men - now creator and curator of WishbookWeb.com and CollectingCandy.com, a celebration of candy packaging, marketing and the people behind it all

Offline bigfoot67

Re: Big League Chew retrospective.
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2011, 08:51:07 PM »
Howdy, gang.

Big League Chew, the shredded pouch bubble gum that, since its' introduction in 1980, was produced and sold by Amurol/Wrigley, is now going to be produced and sold by the Ford Gum company.  The deal took effect January 1st, 2011, and beyond the sale and distribution, Ford is also moving production back to the United Sates - and I think that's pretty cool.

To celebrate that, I did a big retrospective of the Big League Chew packaging I have in my collection, and even posted some of the other Amurol-produced pouch bubble gum from the 80's I have.  I thought you guys might dig seeing it all. 

It's about 30 images all-together, and you can see it all on my Flickr, but I'm going to post a trio of the highlights here:

Amurol-Wrigley - Big League Chew - shredded bubble gum pouch package - 1980 by JasonLiebig, on Flickr

Amurol-Wrigley - Buckaroo Chew - shredded bubble gum pouch package - 1981 by JasonLiebig, on Flickr

Amurol-Wrigley - Popeye - shredded bubble gum pouch package - 1981 by JasonLiebig, on Flickr
Very cool to see. Those wrappers bring back fond memories. I used to love the green Popeye gum!!!
FOLLOW ME, I'LL BE RIGHT BEHIND YOU!

Offline Crust

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2011, 04:57:46 PM »
That's great that they are making it here in the U.S. WOW!!! :o Popeye gum!!! That sounds awsome. Great pics.

Offline starman101

• The Silly Supermarket
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2011, 07:59:35 PM »
Jason,

Great collection!  I didn't realize the packaging changed that much over the years.  The one set of photos you shared here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jasonliebigstuff/5347236152/in/photostream/

was the rendition we used for our parody version...

Click for full sized version:

I love "The Silly Supermarket".

Offline dth1971

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2011, 09:43:22 PM »
I know Big League Chew, but Wrigley's sold the gum after it acquired the Mars Candy Company?

Did one of the Wacky Packages ANS artists do a rough for a Big League Chew spoof for a Wacky Packages ANS that was rejected?

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2011, 04:29:21 PM »
I know Big League Chew, but Wrigley's sold the gum after it acquired the Mars Candy Company?

Did one of the Wacky Packages ANS artists do a rough for a Big League Chew spoof for a Wacky Packages ANS that was rejected?

I did one. It was based on ballplayers corking their bats:

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2011, 01:33:08 PM »
I did one. It was based on ballplayers corking their bats:

That's great!
Jason Liebig - A swell TV host (currently on History Channel) who used to oversee Marvel Comics' X-Men - now creator and curator of WishbookWeb.com and CollectingCandy.com, a celebration of candy packaging, marketing and the people behind it all

anything