Author Topic: Wackypackages and Ugly stickers cards discovery  (Read 3041 times)

Offline Crust

Wackypackages and Ugly stickers cards discovery
« on: January 04, 2011, 05:23:46 PM »
I was reading a non wackys post about Ugly stickers cards from the 60's and the 70's. I went to a site and was looking at pictures of the cards and this is what I noticed. Number 3 in the Ugly stickers cards monster, is the monster that was used of the series 3 wacky ''Alive"! I thought this was a really interesting reused piece of art, and I think I am the first to notice. Sadly I can not post a link so I recoomend typing in ulgy monsters on google images and looking at the Alive card. Tell me what you think

Online Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
Re: Wackypackages and Ugly stickers cards discovery
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2011, 06:08:53 PM »
I was reading a non wackys post about Ugly stickers cards from the 60's and the 70's. I went to a site and was looking at pictures of the cards and this is what I noticed. Number 3 in the Ugly stickers cards monster, is the monster that was used of the series 3 wacky ''Alive"! I thought this was a really interesting reused piece of art, and I think I am the first to notice. Sadly I can not post a link so I recoomend typing in ulgy monsters on google images and looking at the Alive card. Tell me what you think
good eye.
but, well known. check this link http://www.wackypackages2007.com/ans3/wacky-packages-2006-ans3/alive.htm
and if you click on the link to the image of the rough art, you can see that Dave Gross notes on the drawing that the monster inspiration come from Ugly Stickers

Offline Ducko

• (Now on as Porkie)
  • (Now on as Porkie)
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2011, 08:53:41 PM »
good eye.
but, well known. check this link http://www.wackypackages2007.com/ans3/wacky-packages-2006-ans3/alive.htm
and if you click on the link to the image of the rough art, you can see that Dave Gross notes on the drawing that the monster inspiration come from Ugly Stickers

I actually caught that when I saw the ANS card and was stunned. When I was a little kid (before Wackys) my older brother had a rubber monster that was THAT monster! Then I spotted it AGAIN on the Norm Saunders site (see here -- third one down -- had a bunch of the others too) and was simply flabergasted.

What a trip.

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2011, 09:34:49 PM »
I actually caught that when I saw the ANS card and was stunned. When I was a little kid (before Wackys) my older brother had a rubber monster that was THAT monster! Then I spotted it AGAIN on the Norm Saunders site (see here -- third one down -- had a bunch of the others too) and was simply flabergasted.

What a trip.

Huh... My sister and I had three of these things when we were young... In fact, it was the three shown in the blister pack on page 5. I have no recollection on where they came from.
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline Crust

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2011, 02:35:46 PM »
Well even though I did not discover it, it's still interesting how Topps did that and it was a good idea by David Gross to reuse that art! I hope that Topps does more things like it! Since "Alive" is a Wackypack and has an Ugly Monster on it that makes it an interesting item for collectors of both to have!

Offline Crust

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2011, 12:35:44 PM »
It seems that Topps had the idea  of making rubber monsters of the Ugly stickers in their minds, when they came up with the idea of Wackypacks erasers.