Author Topic: OLDS rip off?  (Read 5794 times)

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator

Offline crackedjerk

Re: OLDS rip off?
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2010, 10:16:46 AM »
What is this?
http://cgi.ebay.com/2010-Wacky-Packages-QREEP-1-1-sketch-card-Andy-Broome-/170581853657

Interesting.  Never heard of the guy before.  I'm certainly no expert on trademark issues, so I wonder if this would be some kind of trademark infringement. 

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2010, 11:25:10 AM »

Offline HeadAndBoulders

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2010, 12:12:31 PM »
Someone paid $80 for that piece of Quap.
Funny post?  Who is Andy Broome?

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2010, 02:10:55 PM »
Interesting.  Never heard of the guy before.  I'm certainly no expert on trademark issues, so I wonder if this would be some kind of trademark infringement. 

I would think there would have to be trademark or copyright issues.  It's a Wacky title and he wasn't part of the series.
Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2010, 02:33:12 PM »
I would think there would have to be trademark or copyright issues.  It's a Wacky title and he wasn't part of the series.
true. but probably not too surprising.
do a quick search on ebay for sketch cards, and you'll find a bunch of home mades of licensed properties.
like this guy CS3 doing all those Marvel (and Dark Horse) character sketches below.

[expando]http://i55.tinypic.com/5ezerb.jpg[/expando]
« Last Edit: December 23, 2010, 02:53:20 PM by Fanatical_and_Sickly »

Offline CanadianClod

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2010, 08:44:38 PM »
true. but probably not too surprising.
do a quick search on ebay for sketch cards, and you'll find a bunch of home mades of licensed properties.

these "wacky" style Aceo cards fall in the same catagory

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250741455365&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Offline BustedFinger

• Just a simple collector. No books, no websites, no arguments!
  • I wonder where this text will appear?
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2010, 11:24:32 AM »

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250741455365&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

That looks like the Plastered Peanuts jar to me.
Giving "The Hobby" the finger since 1999!

Offline Playbug

• Visit my website !
    • jeffxmusic.com
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2010, 05:46:13 PM »

Yeah, I've seen those Aceo cards (whatever Aceo means?) At least they seem to be somewhat more of an attempt at being original, but the Qreep is already done as a "Wacky Package" by Dave, plus the Quisp item is rare in an of itself so why would someone else want to parody that? Seems very plagiaristic. And this Braum guy or whatever his name is must know that it is NOT a Wacky Package, unless he is now on board as an official artist. ??? Which is highly doubtful, not because of the work, but because of this being his first appearance as far as I know. I highly doubt that Topps would hire an artist, then let them put out sketch cards on their own that are copied from previous series.
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World

Offline Sunstroke

• My Website
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2010, 06:50:51 PM »
ACEO means "Artist Created Edition or Original"

And I think it's bunch of crap that he is doing licensed characters.
Looking for Saunders Art cards: Especially Wackies, Frankenstein stickers, Mars Attacks & Battle

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2010, 10:04:48 PM »
Yeah, I've seen those Aceo cards (whatever Aceo means?) At least they seem to be somewhat more of an attempt at being original, but the Qreep is already done as a "Wacky Package" by Dave, plus the Quisp item is rare in an of itself so why would someone else want to parody that? Seems very plagiaristic. And this Braum guy or whatever his name is must know that it is NOT a Wacky Package, unless he is now on board as an official artist. ??? Which is highly doubtful, not because of the work, but because of this being his first appearance as far as I know. I highly doubt that Topps would hire an artist, then let them put out sketch cards on their own that are copied from previous series.

This is just some bootleg thing. He's not a Topps guy.

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2010, 10:05:53 PM »
ACEO means "Artist Created Edition or Original"

And I think it's bunch of crap that he is doing licensed characters.

I think Betty Boop, Casper and those other characters are now in the public domain which is why these people are doing a series on them. The baseball players, Wackys and GPK on the other hand...

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2010, 10:33:36 AM »
I think Betty Boop, Casper and those other characters are now in the public domain which is why these people are doing a series on them. The baseball players, Wackys and GPK on the other hand...
Betty and Casper are still owned by Fleischer Studios.

Offline Playbug

• Visit my website !
    • jeffxmusic.com
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2010, 05:30:11 PM »

I hear they're a couple now, but Betty is really frustrated with him, ya know alway's disappearing. He claims it's his job.  :-\
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2010, 09:02:16 PM »

Just checked at it looks like it's many of the cartoons themselves that are public domain but not the merchandising rights to the characters.

anything