Author Topic: Never before Has an ebay item meant so much to me....  (Read 5217 times)

Offline Paul_Maul

Never before Has an ebay item meant so much to me....
« on: December 15, 2010, 09:41:59 AM »
...and so little to anyone else!

http://cgi.ebay.com/1970s-Topps-Wacky-Packages-Wax-Pack-Lot-/290509941879?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43a3bdec77

This lot contains at least two, possibly three of the 7 original series unopened packs I still need...if someone else had gotten a hankering for these I could have been run up the flagpole!

Offline Kook

Re: Never before Has an ebay item meant so much to me....
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2010, 10:42:49 AM »

http://cgi.ebay.com/1970s-Topps-Wacky-Packages-Wax-Pack-Lot-/290509941879?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43a3bdec77

This lot contains at least two, possibly three of the 7 original series unopened packs I still need...if someone else had gotten a hankering for these I could have been run up the flagpole!

Did you write the seller for a pic of the back? How do you know these are the packs you're looking for?

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2010, 11:58:26 AM »
How do you know these are the packs you're looking for?
sounds like a Jedi mind trick to me.  ;)

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2010, 12:32:36 PM »
I asked the seller what ads are on the back. If you look at the answer (which is at the bottom of the auction), it's a little hard to decipher, but my conclusion is that at least two are different, and I need all 3.

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2010, 05:05:52 PM »
I asked the seller what ads are on the back. If you look at the answer (which is at the bottom of the auction), it's a little hard to decipher, but my conclusion is that at least two are different, and I need all 3.

If that was your question that means you don't do Paypal?  What if the seller would only take Paypal?  Would you find someone to buy it for you?
Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)

Offline BustedFinger

• Just a simple collector. No books, no websites, no arguments!
  • I wonder where this text will appear?
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2010, 05:23:41 PM »
These are 10th series packs correct?  Are 10th series pack variations that hard to come by?  Also the auction description says, "The bottom of the packages have become unglued, so there is gum falling out."  I'm kind of surprised that you were so interested in these packs Dave with that statement in the description!

Giving "The Hobby" the finger since 1999!

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2010, 07:38:16 PM »
If that was your question that means you don't do Paypal?  What if the seller would only take Paypal?  Would you find someone to buy it for you?

Ya, I don't get it. I find it strange why someone wouldn't use Paypal. If your worried about getting hacked make a very strong password. I've been with Paypal for 11 years and never had an issue. A buddy of mine got hacked but I know in the past he used really lame and easy passwords. I finally gave him a lesson on using numbers and letters and not your dogs name.

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2010, 10:03:54 PM »

re-listing? or more packs? appears to be the same pic as last time
http://cgi.ebay.com/1970s-Topps-Wacky-Packages-Wax-Pack-Lot-/290512903423?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43a3eb1cff#ht_500wt_922
[expando]http://i.ebayimg.com/20/!B+dtURgCGk~$(KGrHqUOKjkEzK6NtPcLBM+tSBnLsQ~~_3.JPG[/expando]

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2010, 06:34:09 AM »
1. I have nothing in particular against using paypal. For 10 years on ebay, I just got in the habit of using postal money orders and I don't like change. Most sellers still accept them, once in awhile it's a problem, but I don't buy that much on ebay anymore anyway. I have heard a lot of horror stories about paypal and I just don't feel I need it that badly.

2. I didn't ask the seller to elaborate, but my feeling was that the description of gum "falling out the bottom" of the packs was really a description of the orange packs in the other lot he was offering, which were 85-fold and did appear to have open folds. The description of "falling out the bottom" really doesn't make sense for 21-fold packs, so I'm hoping they're really in decent shape.

3. I already sent out payment for the auction so there's no reason for a re-listing, I can only assume he has a bunch of these and is selling them in lots. If that's the case, I'll probably buy a few more in the hopes of getting some in the nicest shape.

4. 85-fold 10th series packs are extremely common. 21-fold 10th packs are not perceived to be worth more, but in my experience they rarely turn up much anymore. Particularly ones like this with the brown quacker can. Again, that's just my perception as someone  who has been looking for them, they have no higher value in the marketplace as evidenced by the ending price for this auction.

Offline Kook

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2010, 07:21:27 AM »
4. 85-fold 10th series packs are extremely common. 21-fold 10th packs are not perceived to be worth more, but in my experience they rarely turn up much anymore. Particularly ones like this with the brown quacker can. Again, that's just my perception as someone  who has been looking for them, they have no higher value in the marketplace as evidenced by the ending price for this auction.

I never even noticed the packs were brown quackers.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2010, 07:30:02 AM »
1. I have nothing in particular against using paypal. For 10 years on ebay, I just got in the habit of using postal money orders and I don't like change. Most sellers still accept them, once in awhile it's a problem, but I don't buy that much on ebay anymore anyway. I have heard a lot of horror stories about paypal and I just don't feel I need it that badly.

Isn't going out to get MO's a pain? I hate it. I also hate when someone sends me a check. I hate having to go to the bank even though I sell to banks :]

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2010, 07:42:11 AM »
Isn't going out to get MO's a pain? I hate it. I also hate when someone sends me a check. I hate having to go to the bank even though I sell to banks :]

Everybody's different, I guess. I hate doing everything on-line. The only thing I enjoy about shopping is being "out among the people." I like taking a walk down to the post office. I don't do my banking online, so if someone pays me by check, I hold it until my next bank visit. It's all pretty easy to me.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2010, 06:37:50 PM »
I never even noticed the packs were brown quackers.

Well, I ended up getting 13 of these packs from the seller.

The bad news: for whatever unknown reason, only two of the three ad variations were present in the lot. No Jade Necklaces.

The good news: despite the auction description, as I hoped, 8 of the 13 are in reasonably nice shape with seal intact. I was able to cherry pick one very nice representative of each of the two ad variations that were present, and I have six extras.

If anyone wants one, I need to get $25 apiece to defray my losses, as five of the packs were not in collectible condition and I opened them.

Overall, a risk that paid off!

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2011, 08:07:52 AM »
The only thing I enjoy about shopping is being "out among the people."

That's the only part of shopping I don't enjoy      :tongue2:

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2011, 08:36:54 AM »
By the way, always fun to crack open lower grade packs to enhance the knowledge base. Every one of the five packs I
opened had the following properties:

Knight's move as I've described up one, two to the right:
For example, Rudens, Sunsweat.....Pepto Dismal, Stove Glop
Coincidentally, of the five packs, two pairs had exactly the same stickers, ie two each of the above combos

The asterisks were all consistent, even down to the checklists

Too bad the stickers were somewhat warped, because the gum was fresh and the stickers unstained.