Author Topic: Looking for misc. S1-16 upgrades  (Read 13259 times)

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
Looking for misc. S1-16 upgrades
« on: December 14, 2010, 06:21:23 PM »

If anyone can help me with any of these please let me know.  These are upgrades for me so I'm looking for real nice ones (at least EX+)...............

S1 - Minute Lice (white)
S2 - Awful Bits / Poopsie (whites)
S3 - Sweathard (tan)
S5 - Shots (non-glossy)
S12 - Creep
S14 - Hippy / Promesso (whites)
S14 - Sell Em / Battletime / Nose-X (tans)

THANK YOU!

Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)

Offline Paul_Maul

Re: Looking for misc. S1-16 upgrades
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2010, 07:31:15 PM »
If anyone can help me with any of these please let me know.  These are upgrades for me so I'm looking for real nice ones (at least EX+)...............

S3 - Sweathard (tan)

Good luck, Sweathard is one of the hardest original series stickers to find centered and in nice shape. I need one too. A PSA 8 sold for over $100.

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2010, 05:35:28 AM »
Good luck, Sweathard is one of the hardest original series stickers to find centered and in nice shape. I need one too. A PSA 8 sold for over $100.

Really?  I never thought of it as one that would be tough.  I guess part of the centering issue is that there is so little space around the black border any deviation in the cuts puts it close to the edge.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2010, 01:05:43 PM »
Really?  I never thought of it as one that would be tough.  I guess part of the centering issue is that there is so little space around the black border any deviation in the cuts puts it close to the edge.

There is a EX+ on ebay now that looks very well centered but it will cost you a bit:
http://cgi.ebay.com/1973-Wacky-Packs-SWEAT-HARD-SOAP-PSA-6-EX-MT-/370362461627

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2010, 05:02:03 PM »
There is a EX+ on ebay now that looks very well centered but it will cost you a bit:
http://cgi.ebay.com/1973-Wacky-Packs-SWEAT-HARD-SOAP-PSA-6-EX-MT-/370362461627

Thanks Brad, if it wasn't a PSA it wouldn't be so much.  Looks pretty nice though.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2010, 09:32:56 PM »
Thanks Brad, if it wasn't a PSA it wouldn't be so much.  Looks pretty nice though.

I would have never guessed this title to be so much but after looking at the other big miscuts that are trying to pull $8 each this might be a bargain. I also looked at my keeper and it's pretty nice and well centered but it might only pull a PSA 6. I also looked through all my doubles (I have over 100) and this is the only card I am missing to make another set.
This could be another discussion such as the higher value/rarity of Bloodweiser.

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2010, 09:25:23 AM »
It's not terribly surprising to me that Sweathard is harder to find, especially centered well. It's only printed twice per slit (once on row 3 and row 6) and in both cases it's on the left edge (where the stars are). Seems like a lot of OS stickers from the left edge wound up off center often (Truant and Raw Leaves come to mind immediately, as these also have the black border issue which Sweathard has). Yes, there are other short prints in the 3rd, but only Sweathard is on the left edge. This doesn't explain why 8-Lives is hard to find centered, though. But...

If you look at the 2nd sheet, 8-Lives is also only printed twice per slit, but more importantly, the artwork is taller than the adjacent art (compare to Putrid, as the most obvious example). This tells me that when the sheet is cut, it's almost always going to be off-center to the bottom (left side of sticker). And, this is quite true. (How many 8-Lives have you seen off-center to the right?). To get 8-Lives well centered, the row(s) under each would wind up off-center toward the top.

If all of this has been noted before, I apologize. But, I found it interesting to analyze the sheets to theorize about all this.

Offline jeffcaff

Wacky Package Centering Interesting Topic
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2010, 11:24:05 AM »
Personally, centering is the most important condition requirement. I will take a soft corner before taking a Wacky Package that is off centered.  Here is a list of stickers that I have found to be the most difficult to find centered:  Paul Maul, 8 Lives, Sweat Hard, Cheapios, Choke Wagon, Botch Tape, Bum Chex, Captain Crud, Vile, Koduck, Tijuana Smells, Secrets, Truant, Alpain, Clammy and Heartburn.  I am sure that I am missing a few so let me know what you have come across.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2010, 11:42:44 AM »

If all of this has been noted before, I apologize. But, I found it interesting to analyze the sheets to theorize about all this.

I don't think any of it has been noted before. I have to read it more carefully when I have time but it sounds very interesting. Good old classic "forum research" stuff! Bravo!

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2010, 12:10:36 PM »
I don't think any of it has been noted before. I have to read it more carefully when I have time but it sounds very interesting. Good old classic "forum research" stuff! Bravo!

That is good info. The thing that gets me is some of the lowball sales of series 3-10. Each series has some really tough cards to get in nice condition but those sets generally are overlooked for value. If you put up an auction with a very low starting price you will probably average about $40 for each set.

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2010, 02:48:36 PM »

If you look at the 2nd sheet, 8-Lives is also only printed twice per slit, but more importantly, the artwork is taller than the adjacent art (compare to Putrid, as the most obvious example). This tells me that when the sheet is cut, it's almost always going to be off-center to the bottom (left side of sticker). And, this is quite true. (How many 8-Lives have you seen off-center to the right?). To get 8-Lives well centered, the row(s)
under each would wind up off-center toward the top.

Nice detective work!  so what you are saying is that if the cuts were dead on the proper cut marks 8-Lives will be O/C, so in order for it to have good centering most of the other titles would have to be cut a little off the proper cut lines?

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2010, 03:10:54 PM »
Nice detective work!  so what you are saying is that if the cuts were dead on the proper cut marks 8-Lives will be O/C, so in order for it to have good centering most of the other titles would have to be cut a little off the proper cut lines?
Thanks. Correct, that's what I'm saying. The cut line would have to be a little closer to the titles in the row below it.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2010, 06:16:11 AM »
Thanks. Correct, that's what I'm saying. The cut line would have to be a little closer to the titles in the row below it.

Tom, I just looked at the sheet. I think I see what you're saying, but doesn't the fact that the horizontally oriented stickers have the copyright on the long side factor into this? In other words, while the artwork itself is taller for 8-lives and Brittle
(and all the horizontal titles), it's the same height as the artwork for a normal vertical sticker together with the copyright.

So I don't see why 8-lives should be off-center, it's the same vertical height as a vertical sticker with the copyright included.

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2011, 11:15:00 AM »
I went through my Series 1 thru 16 sets the other day and marked down some stickers I could use upgrades for.
I am looking for some nice solid cards to replace off-centers, bad condition or marked-on stickers I currently have.
I am looking to buy or trade for the following:

SERIES 1: Vicejoy (wb)
                    Kook-Aid (wb)

SERIES 2: any one black ludlow back
                    Ditch Masters (wb)
                    Log Cave-in (wb)

SERIES 3: Raw Leaves (tb)
                    Drowny (tb)

SERIES 5: Old Spit
                    Secrets
                    Knuckles
                    Shot Wheels
                    Cover Ghoul

SERIES 7: Libbys

SERIES 13: Drainola

SERIES 15: Hacks
                      Dynamites

SERIES 16: Old Grand-Mom Whiskey

Thanks for looking!
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline BustedFinger

• Just a simple collector. No books, no websites, no arguments!
  • I wonder where this text will appear?
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2011, 04:56:59 PM »
You looking for a Shot-Wheels that doesn't have stars on the left?
Giving "The Hobby" the finger since 1999!

Offline sco(o)t

« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2011, 08:30:19 PM »
You looking for a Shot-Wheels that doesn't have stars on the left?

Do you mean on the copyright? I guess I wasn't aware of this variation. The sticker I have has two * s on the left side of the copyright biu the colors seem faded. I don't have any variations.

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2011, 08:32:48 AM »
Do you mean on the copyright? I guess I wasn't aware of this variation. The sticker I have has two * s on the left side of the copyright biu the colors seem faded. I don't have any variations.
Not related to the copyright. I believe Busted is referring to the stars which mark the sides of the uncut sheet. I think Shot Wheels are notorious for being cut off-center enough that you can easily see them down the left side of the sticker (since all Shot Wheels were only printed in the left-most column).

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2011, 08:56:02 AM »

I just grabbed this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.l2557&hash=item5d2dddbe40&item=400201465408

I think it's a good buy because although it's OC, I'm cracking it out anyway, and the centering appears to be around 67/33,
close to being good enough for an unqualified PSA 8.

Offline sco(o)t

« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2011, 09:01:49 AM »
Not related to the copyright. I believe Busted is referring to the stars which mark the sides of the uncut sheet. I think Shot Wheels are notorious for being cut off-center enough that you can easily see them down the left side of the sticker (since all Shot Wheels were only printed in the left-most column).

I see... the sticker I have is nicely centered (no callibration marks/stars evident) but simply seems to have faded colors.

Offline waxo

« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2011, 08:33:25 AM »
I have these for you:

S14 - Hippy-white
S14 - Nose-X-tan

Let me know what you can offer in trade, or cash.

Thank you.

S1 - Minute Lice (white)
S2 - Awful Bits / Poopsie (whites)
S3 - Sweathard (tan)
S5 - Shots (non-glossy)
S12 - Creep
S14 - Hippy / Promesso (whites)
S14 - Sell Em / Battletime / Nose-X (tans)

THANK YOU!

Offline Hustler08

• I Hustle for Wacky Packs!!!
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2011, 06:34:56 AM »
I went through my Series 1 thru 16 sets the other day and marked down some stickers I could use upgrades for.
I am looking for some nice solid cards to replace off-centers, bad condition or marked-on stickers I currently have.
I am looking to buy or trade for the following:

SERIES 1: Vicejoy (wb)
                    Kook-Aid (wb)

SERIES 2: any one black ludlow back
                    Ditch Masters (wb)
                    Log Cave-in (wb)

SERIES 3: Raw Leaves (tb)
                    Drowny (tb)

SERIES 5: Old Spit
                    Secrets
                    Knuckles
                    Shot Wheels
                    Cover Ghoul

SERIES 7: Libbys

SERIES 13: Drainola

SERIES 15: Hacks
                      Dynamites

SERIES 16: Old Grand-Mom Whiskey

Thanks for looking!

Are you still looking for these?? I have Knuckles - just pulled from the pack in EX-NRMT condition..pls advise..I might have your others as well..I will check..

anything