Author Topic: Are these people NUTS???  (Read 893203 times)

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
Re: Are these people NUTS???
« Reply #910 on: May 02, 2012, 09:57:15 PM »
Since we're on the evil bay topic, they now want to impliment or try to get all sellers to have the following:
1 day handling
Tracking by using the print out label through the Paypal process
14 days for a buyer to return an item, even if they just 'change their mind'
Return of payment, but can include the option of a credit.

IMO, these highly recommend changes that evilbay want you to do is total bull.
Has anyone noticed that they are charging an additional final value fee on shipping besides the regular FVF. There have been a number of times in the past few months where I actually undercharged the buyer for shipping because of that. I always tried my best to charge the actual shipping cost and no more, but now it is nearly impossible to calulate. This is because they are pushing/forcing the 'go through paypal and print your label' process. Every time you get a rough idea or feel of about what you get charged in all those Fee's, the next thing you know, you are getting charged more unknowingly in another area. 14 Days for a buyer to return an item even if they just change their mind? WTF - what am I here, Macy's? 1 Day handling? O.K. this is now a full time job, not just casually sell a few items and get them out ASAP when you can.

I know. It drives me crazy. I think the whole Ebay thing is getting way out of control. They seem like Netflix that they thought they could change a bunch of things and no one would care.now we seeNetflix hurting pretty bad. This will/could hurt eBay. The problem with being a a public traded company is you need to please your shareholders and make,ore profit.ebay can't droit with their business model so they are going after all the sellers to comply with their rules. They are trying to attract more buyers. It's all about the buyers while the sellers are getting penalized. It sucks but if you want to sell you have to pay the price and follow the rules. If most boycotted eBay it would fail but at this time it's all we have. You can say there are alternatives butno one will comply because of the of the exposure. I tried doing the classified thing on this forum but not too many people want to try and it's also sad. Why wouldn't any one want to sell with little to no fees? If everyone sold Wackys on this forums classified and not deal with eBay it would be a huge advantage for all sellers but people are too scared because of the hold that eBay has on people. It takes time for change!

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #911 on: May 02, 2012, 10:00:06 PM »
Sorry about all the spelling errors in the previous post. My iPad has a mind of its own. I don't understand why if you backspace a word it soesnt spell check? Is it just my iPad?

Edit- see is soesnt even a word?i just tried to type soesnt and it now wants to change it to doesn't. If I hit backspace it won't change or offer a suggestion.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 10:03:34 PM by BumChex »

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #912 on: May 03, 2012, 05:41:53 AM »
Sorry about all the spelling errors in the previous post. My iPad has a mind of its own. I don't understand why if you backspace a word it soesnt spell check? Is it just my iPad?

Edit- see is soesnt even a word?i just tried to type soesnt and it now wants to change it to doesn't. If I hit backspace it won't change or offer a suggestion.

Just proofread your post and don't rely on spellchecking. I hate spellchecking, it has singlehandedly ruined newspapers. They're no longer properly proofread, so that any word that exists, even if it's used improperly, gets through. Here are sentences you would now see in formerly respectable newspapers:

"Junior Seau found read."
"Pause of death unknown."

Ugh.

Offline Kook

« Reply #913 on: May 03, 2012, 06:27:39 AM »
I tried doing the classified thing on this forum but not too many people want to try and it's also sad. Why wouldn't any one want to sell with little to no fees? If everyone sold Wackys on this forums classified and not deal with eBay it would be a huge advantage for all sellers but people are too scared because of the hold that eBay has on people. It takes time for change!

I think it's a little more complicated than that. There may be a few hundred people here at best compared to millions on ebay. I've listed several items to buy sell or trade here over the past couple of years and gotten little to no response. I also don't see much of a difference between using the classified section and the Buy, Sell or Trade threads. If the selling/trading demand on the forum were ramping up, a better search tool & the like might be warranted in a separate classified area, but the volume is just not there.

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #914 on: May 03, 2012, 08:28:42 AM »
I think it's a little more complicated than that. There may be a few hundred people here at best compared to millions on ebay. I've listed several items to buy sell or trade here over the past couple of years and gotten little to no response. I also don't see much of a difference between using the classified section and the Buy, Sell or Trade threads. If the selling/trading demand on the forum were ramping up, a better search tool & the like might be warranted in a separate classified area, but the volume is just not there.

I agree.........you may get lucky here on the forum and it's obviously nice to not have fees and deal with fellow collectors that we know, but you are comparing a much smaller scale on the forum vs. ebay.  You get much more exposure on ebay.  Unfortunately there are a lot of collectors who buy Wackys and aren't involved in this forum. 
Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)

Offline Playbug

• Visit my website !
    • jeffxmusic.com
« Reply #915 on: May 03, 2012, 11:59:36 AM »
I know. It drives me crazy. I think the whole Ebay thing is getting way out of control. They seem like Netflix that they thought they could change a bunch of things and no one would care.now we seeNetflix hurting pretty bad. This will/could hurt eBay. The problem with being a a public traded company is you need to please your shareholders and make,ore profit.ebay can't droit with their business model so they are going after all the sellers to comply with their rules. They are trying to attract more buyers. It's all about the buyers while the sellers are getting penalized. It sucks but if you want to sell you have to pay the price and follow the rules. If most boycotted eBay it would fail but at this time it's all we have. You can say there are alternatives butno one will comply because of the of the exposure. I tried doing the classified thing on this forum but not too many people want to try and it's also sad. Why wouldn't any one want to sell with little to no fees? If everyone sold Wackys on this forums classified and not deal with eBay it would be a huge advantage for all sellers but people are too scared because of the hold that eBay has on people. It takes time for change!

There's a lot of irony in this. If this does in fact cause ebay to become less popular, then this will drive away people. I personally like to sell on ebay do not have to. Especially if it become a big pain to me. If this happens to many other sellers like me then they just might stop because it is just too much of a hassle. I, by the way have a great 100 percent feedback rating and has had at least 97 percent success with hundreds of transactions. The irony is that I know I will buy less off of ebay with these new rules and if everyone else thinks that way, then the greedy shareholders will end up losing out anyway. If they are not going to support me, then why would I support them? Man, does the system have to be set up to send every business down the same toilet?
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World

Offline Kook

« Reply #916 on: May 03, 2012, 01:04:56 PM »
Since we're on the evil bay topic, they now want to impliment or try to get all sellers to have the following:
1 day handling
Tracking by using the print out label through the Paypal process
14 days for a buyer to return an item, even if they just 'change their mind'
Return of payment, but can include the option of a credit.

IMO, these highly recommend changes that evilbay want you to do is total bull.
Has anyone noticed that they are charging an additional final value fee on shipping besides the regular FVF. There have been a number of times in the past few months where I actually undercharged the buyer for shipping because of that. I always tried my best to charge the actual shipping cost and no more, but now it is nearly impossible to calulate. This is because they are pushing/forcing the 'go through paypal and print your label' process. Every time you get a rough idea or feel of about what you get charged in all those Fee's, the next thing you know, you are getting charged more unknowingly in another area. 14 Days for a buyer to return an item even if they just change their mind? WTF - what am I here, Macy's? 1 Day handling? O.K. this is now a full time job, not just casually sell a few items and get them out ASAP when you can.

Are these changes already set with a deadline or are they in discussion? I had heard ebay is trying to move more to an amazon type model with professional sellers, shopping carts & a unified experience. Problem is that ebay has so much more of a garage sale type of feel rather than a store type atmosphere. I don't think the 2 types of business will do well together. Sounds like ebay should spin off a separate division for the casual seller or seller with antique, used or unique type stuff. If they don't a smaller competitor  will probably step in and get the sellers that won't or can't deal with ebay's new rules.

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #920 on: May 05, 2012, 09:52:47 AM »
Holy Crap! At least they have a 14 day return policy. It looks like the same person bidding on them.

But if they bought them actually thinking they were 1969 Wacky Ads then how will they know they screwed up?  Someone would have to tell them.  The items were obviously misrepresented, hopefully unknowingly.     

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #921 on: May 05, 2012, 09:56:43 AM »
I think there are only 2 possibilities here - 2 newbies, or a newbie & a shill. I would be VERY surprised if it were the first case because you rarely see borderless junk like this sell at all, much less have 2 people fighting over it for $15 to $20.

I don't think it was a shill because who would bother shilling an item like that that is virtually worthless?  I bet the buyer is a newbie and believed the item description that they are Wacky Ads, and saw other Wacky Ad prices as a comparison.

It's funny because auctions like this that make you scratch your head happen more frequently than you would think.

Offline PG Lips

« Reply #922 on: May 06, 2012, 04:46:53 PM »
I don't think it was a shill because who would bother shilling an item like that that is virtually worthless?  I bet the buyer is a newbie and believed the item description that they are Wacky Ads, and saw other Wacky Ad prices as a comparison.

It's funny because auctions like this that make you scratch your head happen more frequently than you would think.

The newbie, would be me.

I thought they where some sort of undocumented test run using artwork form the ads. It never occurred to me that they were just borderless 2nd series white backed cards.

If the printing is flush with the card and it's not a sticker, might they be unknown cards from the original vending series?  I seriously doubt that possibility now that I've taken a look at a spare Ajerx card, after I removed the border.

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #923 on: May 06, 2012, 05:54:08 PM »
The newbie, would be me.

I thought they where some sort of undocumented test run using artwork form the ads. It never occurred to me that they were just borderless 2nd series white backed cards.

If the printing is flush with the card and it's not a sticker, might they be unknown cards from the original vending series?  I seriously doubt that possibility now that I've taken a look at a spare Ajerx card, after I removed the border.

Well at least I know my hunch was correct!  Trust me, most of us that collect Wackys have made similar mistakes early on.  You see something and don't recognize it, and then get excited because it looks like it might be something special, and buy it.  I used to have a quick trigger finger in my first year or two of collecting, but as you learn you figure out you are almost always better off to research and scrutinize carefully before you buy, because 99% of the time it will just be either something misrepresented or just ordinary swill.  With resources like Greg Grant's site, Rusty's site, the Wacky Gallery, and of course this place and other archived forums, the answers can usually be found in there somewhere.

Although it is possible that some sort of test run might still surface, most have already been discovered, and once you've seen a bunch of borderless cards you know what they are as soon as you see them.

Are you going to ask for a refund since they were misrepresented in the item description?  If they weren't misrepresented that would be one thing but the seller did say they were all 1967 die-cuts, correct?  

« Last Edit: May 06, 2012, 05:58:13 PM by Dr Popper »

Offline Kook

« Reply #924 on: May 06, 2012, 06:22:50 PM »
Are you going to ask for a refund since they were misrepresented in the item description?  If they weren't misrepresented that would be one thing but the seller did say they were all 1967 die-cuts, correct?  

I think the seller said they were 1969 wacky ads.

Offline Playbug

• Visit my website !
    • jeffxmusic.com
« Reply #925 on: May 06, 2012, 08:05:50 PM »
The newbie, would be me.

If the printing is flush with the card and it's not a sticker, might they be unknown cards from the original vending series?  I seriously doubt that possibility now that I've taken a look at a spare Ajerx card, after I removed the border.

It did look flush in the picture, even after knowing what was posted here, when I looked at the pic. I thought the same thing you were thinking about it possibly being something unusual. But, I don't know of any unusual items that fit that criteria except I think the '73 mail in posters of an uncut sheet may have that same look to it when viewing a single title.

Offline PG Lips

« Reply #926 on: May 07, 2012, 06:59:20 PM »
Well at least I know my hunch was correct!  Trust me, most of us that collect Wackys have made similar mistakes early on.  You see something and don't recognize it, and then get excited because it looks like it might be something special, and buy it.  I used to have a quick trigger finger in my first year or two of collecting, but as you learn you figure out you are almost always better off to research and scrutinize carefully before you buy, because 99% of the time it will just be either something misrepresented or just ordinary swill.  With resources like Greg Grant's site, Rusty's site, the Wacky Gallery, and of course this place and other archived forums, the answers can usually be found in there somewhere.

Although it is possible that some sort of test run might still surface, most have already been discovered, and once you've seen a bunch of borderless cards you know what they are as soon as you see them.

Live and learn -  I think I'll keep them, so I have a reminder not jump to conclusions in the future and ask here 1st if I think I found something new and possibly unique.

Offline Playbug

• Visit my website !
    • jeffxmusic.com
« Reply #927 on: May 07, 2012, 07:08:15 PM »
Live and learn -  I think I'll keep them, so I have a reminder not jump to conclusions in the future and ask here 1st if I think I found something new and possibly unique.

Yup, lotsa folks here can tell ya.

Not me so much, I kinda get forgetful if I don't think about or if we don't discuss a certain topic too often. But I do know what I know, ya know?

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #928 on: May 09, 2012, 10:55:59 AM »
This is not nuts, just don't know where else to post it. I know there aren't too many wrapper completists out there, but these 11th series yellow wrappers are difficult to find in nice shape. Somebody snap them up!

http://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?_nkw=wrapper+1974%2F75&_sacat=0&_odkw=wrapper+11&_ipg=50&_sop=10&_osacat=0&_ssn=tedjeffrey

Offline Kook

« Reply #929 on: May 09, 2012, 11:10:08 AM »
This is not nuts, just don't know where else to post it. I know there aren't too many wrapper completists out there, but these 11th series yellow wrappers are difficult to find in nice shape. Somebody snap them up!

http://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?_nkw=wrapper+1974%2F75&_sacat=0&_odkw=wrapper+11&_ipg=50&_sop=10&_osacat=0&_ssn=tedjeffrey

They were gone before I even got to check the auction. Did someone here get it, or was it just a coincidence??

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #930 on: May 09, 2012, 11:13:05 AM »

Your wish is my command, LOL. I don't even know if I need them, but I'll certainly pass them along to someone, if I don't.

Offline rdsjnk

« Reply #931 on: May 13, 2012, 05:25:24 PM »

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #932 on: May 13, 2012, 05:39:49 PM »
Here You Go! for any of you missing that hard to find 2nd series card.   :]

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WACKY-PACKAGES-SERIES-2-AJERX-TAN-BACK-/150815836379?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item231d5308db

It's a Mutt's Ajerx? I can see why the seller has a 100% approval rating.
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline Playbug

• Visit my website !
    • jeffxmusic.com
« Reply #933 on: May 21, 2012, 01:41:47 PM »

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WACKY-PACKAGES-SERIES-2-AJERX-TAN-BACK-/150815836379?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item231d5308db

The same Mutts that attacked that Ajerx card ate his homework too!

Offline MadMike

« Reply #934 on: May 21, 2012, 07:03:15 PM »

I think my favorite part about that auction is the fact that you can zoom in so close to the card.  You think that thing sucks from far away, take a look with the zoom in feature.  YIKES...

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #935 on: May 21, 2012, 08:48:01 PM »

I think my favorite part about that auction is the fact that you can zoom in so close to the card.  You think that thing sucks from far away, take a look with the zoom in feature.  YIKES...

And it's an ultra rare, hard to find tan back with even tanner front.
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline Porkie

• Looking for *Irish Test* cards!
« Reply #936 on: May 21, 2012, 09:01:14 PM »
"IT IS MUTTS AJERX" explains everything.

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #937 on: May 22, 2012, 05:52:23 AM »

This is NOT the Croca Cola with the rare back variation (Winter 2010)!....................

Offline Kook

« Reply #938 on: May 22, 2012, 06:03:28 AM »
This is NOT the Croca Cola with the rare back variation (Winter 2010)!....................

Yes, I saw that listing too. They were very careful to say the sticker was rare, but not the rarer version of the sticker.  As Greg Brady says... you'd better caveat your emptor for people trying to guild the lily!

Offline Kook

« Reply #939 on: May 22, 2012, 06:15:48 AM »
I'm all for paying a bit of a premium for hard to find items, or items that have a vague or interesting history. I think this one is a bit extreme pricewise. Does anyone know anything about its history? I'll bet the bidders may have thought it's a very rare wacky ad to spend this much. A decent GoodnEmpty just finished last week for $510 - only $75 more!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.l2557&hash=item25708a0c83&item=160801885315&nma=true&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&rt=nc&si=4lILs6AD97Mtgsu6WHhr91PUD9k%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.l2557&item=221020725745&nma=true&rt=nc&si=4lILs6AD97Mtgsu6WHhr91PUD9k%253D&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #940 on: May 22, 2012, 06:47:10 AM »
I can't understand why anyone values these lost wackys highly. They're cool to look at, but why should they be worth any
more than a Ratz or Cracked repro? They were made up by a collector, one might as well cut the image out of the gallery
and paste it onto a card.

Offline Kook

« Reply #941 on: May 22, 2012, 07:38:08 AM »
I can't understand why anyone values these lost wackys highly. They're cool to look at, but why should they be worth any
more than a Ratz or Cracked repro? They were made up by a collector, one might as well cut the image out of the gallery
and paste it onto a card.

I also think they (lost wacky items - stickers, this card, test stickers & posters) are cool to look at. They have lost art that was never used for an actual wacky, yet was produced by the original artists at the same time as the original wackys were released. The quality is good too. Dedicated people to the hobby worked to produce items that were true to the original series. For these reasons, I believe the lost wackys in general are noteworthy. These reasons would also cause me to try and get a copy, even at a bit of a premium. IMO, this premium is too much for me.

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #942 on: May 22, 2012, 12:28:26 PM »
I'm all for paying a bit of a premium for hard to find items, or items that have a vague or interesting history. I think this one is a bit extreme pricewise. Does anyone know anything about its history? I'll bet the bidders may have thought it's a very rare wacky ad to spend this much. A decent GoodnEmpty just finished last week for $510 - only $75 more!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.l2557&hash=item25708a0c83&item=160801885315&nma=true&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&rt=nc&si=4lILs6AD97Mtgsu6WHhr91PUD9k%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.l2557&item=221020725745&nma=true&rt=nc&si=4lILs6AD97Mtgsu6WHhr91PUD9k%253D&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

LOL, that's crazy.......I have one of those that I use a filler for the open spot in my binder book.  I think I paid $5.00 for it.  I can see paying maybe $20.00 for one, but over $400.00??  There's a very good chance it was done on a home printer too.  I think some people think that some of these Lost Wackys are some how special, like something Topps had printed at one point and then they somehow leaked out into the market.  If they knew some of them were simply repro's done on some dude's home ink-jet printer I doubt they would pay that much for it!   

Offline Kook

« Reply #943 on: May 22, 2012, 12:40:53 PM »
LOL, that's crazy.......I have one of those that I use a filler for the open spot in my binder book.  I think I paid $5.00 for it.  I can see paying maybe $20.00 for one, but over $400.00??  There's a very good chance it was done on a home printer too.  I think some people think that some of these Lost Wackys are some how special, like something Topps had printed at one point and then they somehow leaked out into the market.  If they knew some of them were simply repro's done on some dude's home ink-jet printer I doubt they would pay that much for it!   

I'll take it for $20 if you're selling...

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #944 on: May 22, 2012, 05:25:47 PM »
I'll take it for $20 if you're selling...

Ha! it's in my keeper set and very little comes out of there once it goes in!  Ask Rusty if he'll print you one.  I haven't dug into it but I bet they are from him.

anything