Author Topic: Are these people NUTS???  (Read 893110 times)

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
Re: Are these people NUTS???
« Reply #875 on: April 21, 2012, 03:14:41 PM »
did someone actually buy one of these sets? I really hope not.

common PC8 set + promo auction

Offline Go_Bum

« Reply #877 on: April 21, 2012, 11:02:09 PM »
did someone actually buy one of these sets? I really hope not.

common PC8 set + promo auction

Someone just blew $200 without even bothering to research what they were buying? :o

Offline Kook

« Reply #878 on: April 26, 2012, 07:56:28 AM »
Is there something special about this diecut? I would think it's a $5 to $15 card topps considering its condition & title. Did the miscut triple its value, or does this auction belong in this thread?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.l2557&hash=item519f01d3e9&item=350560048105&nma=true&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&rt=nc&si=4lILs6AD97Mtgsu6WHhr91PUD9k%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #879 on: April 26, 2012, 08:01:37 AM »
Is there something special about this diecut? I would think it's a $5 to $15 card topps considering its condition & title. Did the miscut triple its value, or does this auction belong in this thread?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.l2557&hash=item519f01d3e9&item=350560048105&nma=true&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&rt=nc&si=4lILs6AD97Mtgsu6WHhr91PUD9k%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

It's either someone who doesn't know it's value or collects the miscuts and it's worth that much to them.  strange. 
Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #880 on: April 26, 2012, 08:02:16 AM »

I think someone got overly excited because #36 is fairly common.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #881 on: April 30, 2012, 08:41:22 AM »
Check out this latest group of unopened packs to hit ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?_nkw=wacky+wax&_sacat=0&_odkw=wacky&item=251050377643&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&_osacat=0&hash=item3a73c4c1ab&_ssn=sellhelper2012

I've heard of aggressive pricing, but WOW! Especially comical are $1000 apiece for a GAI 9 yellow poster pack (I won one exactly like this on ebay for $125) and $1000 for a GAI 8 16th series pack (only about 4-5 times the real value). 2nd and 3rd series packs also around 4-5 times what they should be.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 08:44:29 AM by Paul_Maul »

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #882 on: April 30, 2012, 08:55:19 AM »

http://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?_nkw=wacky+wax&_sacat=0&_odkw=wacky&item=251050377643&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&_osacat=0&hash=item3a73c4c1ab&_ssn=sellhelper2012

I've heard of aggressive pricing, but WOW! Especially comical are $1000 apiece for a GAI 9 yellow poster pack (I won one exactly like this on ebay for $125) and $1000 for a GAI 8 16th series pack (only about 4-5 times the real value). 2nd and 3rd series packs also around 4-5 times what they should be.
They do look pretty nice though. I agree, they are way over priced. Make him an offer?

Offline Kook

« Reply #883 on: April 30, 2012, 09:26:06 AM »

I saw those too. I'm not sure of the point in listing items at that price unless he hopes to get off ebay offers. I think those numbers would even scare offers away since the prices are so outrageous.

Offline Kook

« Reply #884 on: April 30, 2012, 09:32:46 AM »

Dave, I know GAI is not reliable at all for getting the series right on packs that shared wrappers between series. I have personally been victim to buying GAI packs labeled with the wrong series. How are they on authentication? I see so few PSA graded packs, and I wonder if they have a higher reject rate & people are wary of submitting & getting rejected...  Considering GAI is unreliebale, they still seem to be where most "authenticated" packs come from on ebay.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #885 on: April 30, 2012, 10:14:53 AM »
Dave, I know GAI is not reliable at all for getting the series right on packs that shared wrappers between series. I have personally been victim to buying GAI packs labeled with the wrong series. How are they on authentication? I see so few PSA graded packs, and I wonder if they have a higher reject rate & people are wary of submitting & getting rejected...  Considering GAI is unreliebale, they still seem to be where most "authenticated" packs come from on ebay.

PSA is definitely the most reliable service for grading wax packs. That said, they have only been doing it for a relatively short time, so most of the existing secondary market of graded packs will be GAI.

I wish I could say that GAI has a spotless record for rejecting fakes, but that's not the case. Some have studied it carefully and
feel more comfortable with certain GAI graded packs based on the era (as reflected by the serial number). I would not be comfortable buying a GAI graded pack sight unseen unless it was returnable.

The source of the pack is much more important to me than it being GAI certified. For example, the 4th series packs from this
seller are clearly the Greg Schwartz packs, which I know are real, so I'd be confident buying those at the right price. The seller needs to add back scans for sure.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #886 on: April 30, 2012, 10:19:14 AM »
Also, as I've pointed out before, be wary of high grade encapsulated packs, because if they are really fresh (ie gum can move around) they will often have tears from the gum penetrating the wrapper. That appears to be the case in this 4th
series pack, for example:

« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 10:23:44 AM by Paul_Maul »

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
« Reply #887 on: April 30, 2012, 08:13:03 PM »
Does anyone know who ebay id topazzer(From Illinois) belongs to?

He seems to be a psychopath who in his first message to me, explained that he knows nothing about Saunders artwork prices but lectured me on my high buy it now prices.  I explained the obvious to the idiot that I list BINS with accepting offers to do off ebay deals.  I questioned why he claims to know nothing about Saunders art prices yet he is lecturing me.....his response:

"You obviously don't understand English.  I've explained myself very well, and you either can't or won't comprehend.  BOTTOM LINE:  You have ADMITTEDLY overpriced the piece on eBay, by YOUR OWN STANDARDS (asking $10K for an item you seem to value at $4K-$7K).  Further, you admitted to fishing for offers for a PRIVATE SALE, which, if not blatantly against eBay rules is certainly "bending" them to some degree to avoid an eBay commission.  Tsk. I don't think eBay would be too pleased with that, would they?  Don't bother to respond to me again, please.  Continue to list your pedestrian piece at high multiples, and maybe say a few prayers that someone eventually will take it off your hands at a high price.  Not familiar with the "forum" you quoted, but anyone frequenting eBay knows there are a lot of unrealistic and greedy sleazebags looking to rip off foolish/desperate/neophyte collectors/buyers. " 
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #888 on: April 30, 2012, 08:42:45 PM »
Does anyone know who ebay id topazzer(From Illinois) belongs to?

He seems to be a psychopath who in his first message to me, explained that he knows nothing about Saunders artwork prices but lectured me on my high buy it now prices.  I explained the obvious to the idiot that I list BINS with accepting offers to do off ebay deals.  I questioned why he claims to know nothing about Saunders art prices yet he is lecturing me.....his response:

"You obviously don't understand English.  I've explained myself very well, and you either can't or won't comprehend.  BOTTOM LINE:  You have ADMITTEDLY overpriced the piece on eBay, by YOUR OWN STANDARDS (asking $10K for an item you seem to value at $4K-$7K).  Further, you admitted to fishing for offers for a PRIVATE SALE, which, if not blatantly against eBay rules is certainly "bending" them to some degree to avoid an eBay commission.  Tsk. I don't think eBay would be too pleased with that, would they?  Don't bother to respond to me again, please.  Continue to list your pedestrian piece at high multiples, and maybe say a few prayers that someone eventually will take it off your hands at a high price.  Not familiar with the "forum" you quoted, but anyone frequenting eBay knows there are a lot of unrealistic and greedy sleazebags looking to rip off foolish/desperate/neophyte collectors/buyers. " 

Never heard of this person but it is true though as I mentioned in my eBay thread. A lot of times buyers don't understand your intentions so they are reluctant to make an off eBay offer as it could be an insult to the seller. Some done even know you can contact a seller to see about getting a better deal. It's just human nature. If you really want to unload put it at the least price you would accept otherwise you will have to deal with these types of responses. Keep in mind people don't like to buy from a stranger without having some type of protection. They don't care if you have to pay fees.

Offline bandaches

« Reply #889 on: April 30, 2012, 09:54:10 PM »
Never heard of this person but it is true though as I mentioned in my eBay thread. A lot of times buyers don't understand your intentions so they are reluctant to make an off eBay offer as it could be an insult to the seller. Some done even know you can contact a seller to see about getting a better deal. It's just human nature. If you really want to unload put it at the least price you would accept otherwise you will have to deal with these types of responses. Keep in mind people don't like to buy from a stranger without having some type of protection. They don't care if you have to pay fees.
This guy admitted he has no interest in buying art as he has no money.  Also, I declare in my auctions specifically to use the "ask seller a question" to make me offers but they obviously can also use the ebay function of making an offer.  If the buyer is too stupid to comprehend either of those options, I am unlikely to want to deal with him anyway.
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline Hustler08

• I Hustle for Wacky Packs!!!
« Reply #890 on: May 01, 2012, 05:00:14 AM »
This guy admitted he has no interest in buying art as he has no money.  Also, I declare in my auctions specifically to use the "ask seller a question" to make me offers but they obviously can also use the ebay function of making an offer.  If the buyer is too stupid to comprehend either of those options, I am unlikely to want to deal with him anyway.

He just wants to give you shit - one because you have a piece that's worth big bucks and two he's JEALOUS!!!Now we not only have EVilbay BUT we have EvilBay self-appointed police minnions...that's just SUPER!! :] :] :]

Offline Kook

« Reply #891 on: May 01, 2012, 06:06:58 AM »
This guy admitted he has no interest in buying art as he has no money.  Also, I declare in my auctions specifically to use the "ask seller a question" to make me offers but they obviously can also use the ebay function of making an offer.  If the buyer is too stupid to comprehend either of those options, I am unlikely to want to deal with him anyway.

I'd say that if he admitted he had no money, and he's not buying anything, you'd have a loooooong wait to get a meaningful answer from him considering he has the time and inclination to find auctions he has no involvement with and to make agressive correspondence. My advice would be to just move on unless you're looking for aggravation, frustration or amusement.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 06:08:31 AM by billf »

Offline bandaches

« Reply #892 on: May 01, 2012, 02:21:12 PM »
I'd say that if he admitted he had no money, and he's not buying anything, you'd have a loooooong wait to get a meaningful answer from him considering he has the time and inclination to find auctions he has no involvement with and to make agressive correspondence. My advice would be to just move on unless you're looking for aggravation, frustration or amusement.
I get amusement from things like this but I want go back and forth much longer with the tool as it seems he wants to get nastier and nastier.  I am pretty sure this is the alter id of a regular wacky pack collector and not someone who just happened to stumble on my Norm Saunders ebay auction.   I asked him if he has been critiquing the guy who has been trying to sell the Saunders batman art for months on end for this high BINs and it seems to have shut him up. 

Offline bandaches

« Reply #893 on: May 01, 2012, 02:22:49 PM »
He just wants to give you shit - one because you have a piece that's worth big bucks and two he's JEALOUS!!!Now we not only have EVilbay BUT we have EvilBay self-appointed police minnions...that's just SUPER!! :] :] :]
This truly made me laugh out loud!  I may have to use that phrase "EvilBay self-appointed police minnions".  I used to be the self appointed ebay police but at least I knew what the hell I was talking about.  Now I don't even bother to police ebay as ebay has made it clear they fully condone shilling with the implementation of the protected bidder ids.

Offline Kook

« Reply #894 on: May 01, 2012, 06:09:59 PM »
This truly made me laugh out loud!  I may have to use that phrase "EvilBay self-appointed police minnions".  I used to be the self appointed ebay police but at least I knew what the hell I was talking about.  Now I don't even bother to police ebay as ebay has made it clear they fully condone shilling with the implementation of the protected bidder ids.

I got the impression that they instituted the scrambled IDs to prevent people from being solicited by others selling stuff similar to what someone won. I remember people contacting me after I won something & also contacting others that I thought might be interested in something I had to sell because they won or bid on something similar. At the time, I thought it may have been cutting them out of too many deals and hurting their revenues..

Offline bandaches

« Reply #895 on: May 01, 2012, 07:15:27 PM »
I got the impression that they instituted the scrambled IDs to prevent people from being solicited by others selling stuff similar to what someone won. I remember people contacting me after I won something & also contacting others that I thought might be interested in something I had to sell because they won or bid on something similar. At the time, I thought it may have been cutting them out of too many deals and hurting their revenues..
They can accomplish this without scrambling the ebay id.  If there is no way to contact an ebay member without doing a transaction with them, it doesn't much matter if you had their ebay id as that alone doesn't lend itself to contact info.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #896 on: May 01, 2012, 07:44:20 PM »
They can accomplish this without scrambling the ebay id.  If there is no way to contact an ebay member without doing a transaction with them, it doesn't much matter if you had their ebay id as that alone doesn't lend itself to contact info.

You need to have some way to communicate. I think you can get anyones info by supplying just their username. This includes address and phone number. eBay will notify you that someone inquired about you but that's about it. I've had it happen to me.
Edit- I just double check and you can as long as you are bidding on their auction. It could be a $.99 bid and you can get all their contact info.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 07:56:29 PM by BumChex »

Offline Kook

« Reply #897 on: May 01, 2012, 08:05:18 PM »
They can accomplish this without scrambling the ebay id.  If there is no way to contact an ebay member without doing a transaction with them, it doesn't much matter if you had their ebay id as that alone doesn't lend itself to contact info.

If you have someone's ebay ID, you can send them the equivalent of a PM on ebay.

Offline bandaches

« Reply #898 on: May 01, 2012, 10:54:42 PM »
If you have someone's ebay ID, you can send them the equivalent of a PM on ebay.
Only if you are in a transaction with them or current bidder on their auction. 

Offline Kook

« Reply #899 on: May 02, 2012, 05:54:29 AM »
You need to have some way to communicate. I think you can get anyones info by supplying just their username. This includes address and phone number. eBay will notify you that someone inquired about you but that's about it. I've had it happen to me.
Edit- I just double check and you can as long as you are bidding on their auction. It could be a $.99 bid and you can get all their contact info.

All you need to be able to do is send an ebay user a question using ebay's messaging system. It could say - "Hey, I saw you like to buy wackys & I have a Ratz diecut in nm. I'm selling for $2500, please contact me at bill@email.com if interested."

I just sent Ernie an "ebay PM" and I have no open transactions with him, and I'm not bidding on any of his items. Hopefully he can confirm if the message went through or it was dropped.

Offline Kook

« Reply #900 on: May 02, 2012, 06:13:59 AM »
There are a couple of other noteworthy points regarding contacting ebay members. They provide alternatives to contact buyers from directly reading the IDs from completed auctions, but do require a little creativity & extra work.

1. Aside from the blind PM to a user, you can ask any user with a listing a question. Granted you have to bypass ebay's attempt to automatically answer the question and send you on your way, but as long as you insist on asking the seller, you can send them a message. Once you get to that form, you can ask them about anything & include your e-mail address for an offline response.

2. Although the scrambling IDs prevents direct knowlegde of a winner's ebay user ID, as many of the forum detectives already know from trying to track down rare items like the fang glass, you can watch a seller's feedback, and that will show the buyer's ID for the auction provided the feedback isn't private and the seller leaves feedback.

3. Additionally, the scrambling is not random. Once your ID is scrambled, it's the same in all auctions. Once you confirm a bunch of heavy hitting bidders, you can usually tell who the bidder is even if it's scrambled. I know any sketch auction that has a f**9(x) bidder is Leslie. To confirm, you just have to match the feedback number in the bidder's list to their actual feedback once you look up their ID.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #901 on: May 02, 2012, 07:17:48 AM »
All you need to be able to do is send an ebay user a question using ebay's messaging system. It could say - "Hey, I saw you like to buy wackys & I have a Ratz diecut in nm. I'm selling for $2500, please contact me at bill@email.com if interested."

I just sent Ernie an "ebay PM" and I have no open transactions with him, and I'm not bidding on any of his items. Hopefully he can confirm if the message went through or it was dropped.
I'm not talking a standard PM, I'm talking about getting someone's Name, address, & Phone number. You can get it all by just bidding on someone's auction.

Offline Kook

« Reply #902 on: May 02, 2012, 07:31:18 AM »
I'm not talking a standard PM, I'm talking about getting someone's Name, address, & Phone number. You can get it all by just bidding on someone's auction.

How do you do that? Does the seller have to give permission to release all this info?

My read was that Ernie said there was no way to contact an ebayer directly unless you were bidding on their auction or have won something from them.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 07:33:39 AM by billf »

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #903 on: May 02, 2012, 08:08:51 AM »
How do you do that? Does the seller have to give permission to release all this info?

My read was that Ernie said there was no way to contact an ebayer directly unless you were bidding on their auction or have won something from them.
Go to ebay home page. Click on advanced and then click on find contact info.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #904 on: May 02, 2012, 08:22:46 AM »

1. Aside from the blind PM to a user, you can ask any user with a listing a question. Granted you have to bypass ebay's attempt to automatically answer the question and send you on your way, but as long as you insist on asking the seller, you can send them a message. Once you get to that form, you can ask them about anything & include your e-mail address for an offline response.

I tried to message a seller my e-mail address so he could send me detailed scans once, ebay censored it and it did not go through.

Offline Kook

« Reply #905 on: May 02, 2012, 08:47:15 AM »
I tried to message a seller my e-mail address so he could send me detailed scans once, ebay censored it and it did not go through.

Did they remove the e-mail address or did they block the message? Do you remember how long ago it was? I remember they have limited different types of communication at different times. I regularly send my e-mail address iin messages to ebay sellers without a problem.

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #906 on: May 02, 2012, 08:51:44 AM »
Did they remove the e-mail address or did they block the message? Do you remember how long ago it was? I remember they have limited different types of communication at different times. I regularly send my e-mail address iin messages to ebay sellers without a problem.

I've had email addresses removed several times but the messages do go through.  I believe this can be circumvented by putting spaces or something that won't be picked up as an email address in ebay's search software.
Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #907 on: May 02, 2012, 03:07:52 PM »
I've had email addresses removed several times but the messages do go through.  I believe this can be circumvented by putting spaces or something that won't be picked up as an email address in ebay's search software.

Remember the good old days when people used an actual email address as an ebay ID??  As I recall, after that ended there was the "About Me" link, where people could put links and email addresses.

Offline Playbug

• Visit my website !
    • jeffxmusic.com
« Reply #908 on: May 02, 2012, 06:27:55 PM »
Since we're on the evil bay topic, they now want to impliment or try to get all sellers to have the following:
1 day handling
Tracking by using the print out label through the Paypal process
14 days for a buyer to return an item, even if they just 'change their mind'
Return of payment, but can include the option of a credit.

IMO, these highly recommend changes that evilbay want you to do is total bull.
Has anyone noticed that they are charging an additional final value fee on shipping besides the regular FVF. There have been a number of times in the past few months where I actually undercharged the buyer for shipping because of that. I always tried my best to charge the actual shipping cost and no more, but now it is nearly impossible to calulate. This is because they are pushing/forcing the 'go through paypal and print your label' process. Every time you get a rough idea or feel of about what you get charged in all those Fee's, the next thing you know, you are getting charged more unknowingly in another area. 14 Days for a buyer to return an item even if they just change their mind? WTF - what am I here, Macy's? 1 Day handling? O.K. this is now a full time job, not just casually sell a few items and get them out ASAP when you can.
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World

Offline bandaches

« Reply #909 on: May 02, 2012, 06:39:11 PM »

Actually my main point before this got off target was that ebay scrambling ids prevented being able to track shilllers more than it impacted the ability to contact people for off ebay deals.  So while you were correct that you can contact people without being in a transaction with them, my point is still valid, the scrambling ids deters tracking shillers without a lot of extra work.