Author Topic: Are these people NUTS???  (Read 892966 times)

Offline Paul_Maul

Re: Are these people NUTS???
« Reply #840 on: March 25, 2012, 08:25:08 AM »
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Wacky-Packages-Wax-Fun-Pack-PSA-7-NM-Highest-and-Only-Graded-Example-/190658296101?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c641eb925

Gosh, it gets tedious listening to sellers twist themselves into knots trying to turn a sow's ear into a silk purse. "Only example graded by PSA, only one I can find on ebay...." There are probably a hundred graded by GAI (PSA only became a big pack-grading destination once GAI imploded), and there have been scores on ebay in the past. One of the most common unopened packs in wackydom, but you wouldn't know it from this description.

Offline Porkie

• Looking for *Irish Test* cards!
« Reply #841 on: March 25, 2012, 09:54:28 PM »
Even stranger, are the two faint vertical lines on the left & right of the sticker. Especially the right side ~ at first I thought it was the sticker front sliding off of the backing but, but upon closer examination, those lines look like pencil lines. The right side vertical edge looks like it was hand cut using that line as a guide. It makes me think that it was either an uncut, unscored sheet that someone cut into individual stickers, or, it's a color copy ~ only hole in the color copy theory is that the seller states that this item has a tan back.

(Whooa, I've got to lay off of the caffeine! 2 hours of sleep each night this week is starting to take its toll!)

Ok, which one of you was bidding against me on the JerkyFruits. :)

Seriously, I just had to buy this to see what the hell is up with this card and then I wasn't the only bidder! lol! But I won it! So fess up!  :o
« Last Edit: March 25, 2012, 09:56:29 PM by Porkie »

Offline Playbug

• Visit my website !
    • jeffxmusic.com
« Reply #842 on: March 26, 2012, 07:47:58 AM »
Ok, which one of you was bidding against me on the JerkyFruits. :)

Seriously, I just had to buy this to see what the hell is up with this card and then I wasn't the only bidder! lol! But I won it! So fess up!  :o

Wasn't me, but I'd like to know what the deal with this card is when you get it too.
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World

Offline Soremel

« Reply #843 on: March 26, 2012, 07:59:06 AM »
Wasn't me, but I'd like to know what the deal with this card is when you get it too.

Wasn't me, either! I would also like to know what the deal is with it. I'm leaning toward my two original thoughts: It's either a poorly trimmed, home printed knockoff...  or a poorly trimmed sticker from an unscored sheet. Any other speculations?  :]

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #844 on: March 26, 2012, 08:15:25 AM »
Wasn't me, either! I would also like to know what the deal is with it. I'm leaning toward my two original thoughts: It's either a poorly trimmed, home printed knockoff...  or a poorly trimmed sticker from an unscored sheet. Any other speculations?  :]

I don't know, but I did search his other auctions and there were several that were like this (not all). All unscored looking and poorly cut.

Offline Soremel

« Reply #845 on: March 26, 2012, 08:21:50 AM »
I don't know, but I did search his other auctions and there were several that were like this (not all). All unscored looking and poorly cut.

It will be interesting to find out if the seller doesn't have a clue as to what they are actually selling, or if they are a real hack of a counterfeit artist!

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #846 on: March 26, 2012, 09:04:16 AM »
Maybe he consigns for antiquefloyd.  lol

Offline Soremel

« Reply #847 on: March 26, 2012, 09:05:41 AM »
Maybe he consigns for antiquefloyd.  lol

Prolly!

Offline Porkie

« Reply #848 on: March 26, 2012, 10:37:02 AM »
I'll definitely post the results of my forensic examination once I receive the card. Figured it'll be $1.89 of entertainment one way or another! :)

Offline Soremel

« Reply #849 on: March 26, 2012, 11:02:14 AM »
I'll definitely post the results of my forensic examination once I receive the card. Figured it'll be $1.89 of entertainment one way or another! :)

In this episode of WPCSI...  8)

Offline Porkie

« Reply #850 on: April 02, 2012, 11:06:18 AM »
In this episode of WPCSI...  8)

I got the card a few days ago and I decided to start a new thread on the JerkyFruits card here.

Let's put "WPCSI" in front of any odd cards we find like this as a hint that some kind of investigation is going on (love it, Soremel!).

Offline deadpresidentsvisa

« Reply #851 on: April 02, 2012, 11:28:21 AM »
I got the card a few days ago and I decided to start a new thread on the JerkyFruits card here.

Let's put "WPCSI" in front of any odd cards we find like this as a hint that some kind of investigation is going on (love it, Soremel!).
YOU SHOULD HAVE WENT WITH THE CLEMENTE BOBBLEHEAD
"DID YOU TRY MONKEYING WITH IT" FROM *THE HOT ROCK*....ROBERT REDFORD...ZERO MOSTEL

Offline Go_Bum

« Reply #852 on: April 02, 2012, 02:31:08 PM »

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #853 on: April 02, 2012, 04:38:42 PM »
Check out the description on this. What a load of crap. :^)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2011-TOPPS-WACKY-CARD-RARE-POP-1-/230771548023?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35bb0e5f77#ht_531wt_1059

"THIS IS THE ONLY PERFECT 10 CARD THAT PSA HAS GRADED FROM THIS SET!"  Yeah, because no one is dumb enough to have a tag card graded! 
Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)

Offline Porkie

« Reply #854 on: April 02, 2012, 06:29:59 PM »

Offline Playbug

• Visit my website !
    • jeffxmusic.com
« Reply #855 on: April 02, 2012, 07:39:55 PM »
Amazing. But hey, you get FREE domestic shipping! ;)

My little ovals are intact in all my sets!    I must have a fortune !

Offline Porkie

« Reply #856 on: April 09, 2012, 09:49:05 PM »
Somehow I don't think these are Topps' approved...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cool-Wacky-Packages-Clock-with-8-classic-wrapper-and-4-sticker-images-/170763789141?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27c250a355

Maybe Topps would give me a reward for turning them in? :)

Offline Playbug

• Visit my website !
    • jeffxmusic.com
« Reply #857 on: April 11, 2012, 10:35:50 AM »
Somehow I don't think these are Topps' approved...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cool-Wacky-Packages-Clock-with-8-classic-wrapper-and-4-sticker-images-/170763789141?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27c250a355

Maybe Topps would give me a reward for turning them in? :)

They could of done a better job at making a Wacky clock. Those shadow boxes someone was making a few years ago were great. Got me a liptorn.

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #858 on: April 11, 2012, 03:43:10 PM »
They could of done a better job at making a Wacky clock. Those shadow boxes someone was making a few years ago were great. Got me a liptorn.
no doubt. that thing is really pathetic. and it seems like they just lifted images off of Greg's site too, as it looks like there are drop shadows around the card images.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #859 on: April 11, 2012, 06:53:48 PM »

It's absolutely horrible!

Offline MadMike

« Reply #860 on: April 11, 2012, 10:47:46 PM »
It's absolutely horrible!

Well said! 

It says that there are more than 10 available.  Yikes!

Offline Kook

« Reply #861 on: April 12, 2012, 06:13:18 AM »
Well said! 

It says that there are more than 10 available.  Yikes!
My Guess is that they have an unlimited supply of clocks with empty picture slots that they create for many different topics. If they have a run on wacky clocks, they can fire up the printer and bang out as many as necessary.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #864 on: April 14, 2012, 09:20:58 AM »
Couple guys that have no clue about the market.

In the case of darby-s (Dan McKee), I don't think it's cluelessness about the market so much as optimism that someone will jump at the many rare but low grade items he lists at aggressive prices.

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #865 on: April 14, 2012, 12:08:11 PM »
In the case of darby-s (Dan McKee), I don't think it's cluelessness about the market so much as optimism that someone will jump at the many rare but low grade items he lists at aggressive prices.

It's funny how that guy never seems to sell anything in nice shape.  Does he use his cards on his bicycle spokes before he tries to sell them?

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #866 on: April 14, 2012, 12:19:48 PM »

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #867 on: April 14, 2012, 01:41:18 PM »
It's funny how that guy never seems to sell anything in nice shape.  Does he use his cards on his bicycle spokes before he tries to sell them?

My guess would be he is only using ebay to try to move lower quality stuff. He mostly deals in very old BB cards I think. He was once big in wackys, but I haven't seen him being very active in wackys for years, so he may just continually list stuff in the hope of moving it.

Offline 70s_Kid

« Reply #868 on: April 14, 2012, 05:49:23 PM »
It made me laugh again, even the second time reading it. Oh boy, has he listed his 2500 items yet. I am going nuts just waiting for that from the Legend! Legend of crap and jerkyness.  

If he started them at a penny each as he says, he just might sell one...  I don't think he has sold any yet.  So, he is just throwing his money away in listing fees.   I guess he has never heard of quality before quantity...

Offline Kook

« Reply #869 on: April 14, 2012, 07:01:10 PM »
$500 seems a little high 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1967-Topps-Wacky-Packages-32-RATZ-CRACKERS-RARE-/280857154877?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item416464153d

I think $250 is probably a more realistic number. I won a popped Ratz several years ago at auction for a little over $500, but after I found a better one & I tried to sell my punched one - which was in pretty nice shape, I was only able to get $250 for it about a year ago. I find the market soft on all but the hardest to find stuff & the stuff in outsanding condition.

and this is a bit over the top, from guanospray!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-Topps-WACKY-PACKAGES-Old-School-Series-One-1-JAY-LYNCH-Sketch-Card-UMBRELLA-/190654946938?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c63eb9e7a

I sold mine about a year ago for $200. It was a very tough 1st series title. Sketch cards have been brutalized lately, so my guess is it would go for much less now, probably closer to $100 if you can even find a buyer.

Offline Kook

« Reply #870 on: April 18, 2012, 08:53:51 AM »
I've been watching this auction in the hopes of picking up a few upgrades for my 14th trifold set. Are these that rare that this bid explosion isn't totally crazy? Does anyone know if there are any really tough titles in this set?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/220999581240?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #871 on: April 18, 2012, 09:44:33 AM »
I've been watching this auction in the hopes of picking up a few upgrades for my 14th trifold set. Are these that rare that this bid explosion isn't totally crazy? Does anyone know if there are any really tough titles in this set?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/220999581240?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Based on my experience with these they are pretty rare but not enough people collect them for the prices to sell high.  Of course this auction says otherwise.  My experience has been seeing singles selling in the $7.50-$10.00 each range.  I don't believe any titles are rarer than others.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #872 on: April 18, 2012, 09:56:44 AM »
Based on my experience with these they are pretty rare but not enough people collect them for the prices to sell high.  Of course this auction says otherwise.  My experience has been seeing singles selling in the $7.50-$10.00 each range.  I don't believe any titles are rarer than others.

That's about right. I sold a near set about 2 years ago and only received about $175. I think it was only missing one card. They weren't NM either so that could be part of it. I really wonder if these are as nice as pictured though. This auction looks like it has 2 guys going after it. That's always great when you're the seller!
« Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 09:58:24 AM by BumChex »

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #873 on: April 18, 2012, 11:15:29 AM »
That's about right. I sold a near set about 2 years ago and only received about $175. I think it was only missing one card. They weren't NM either so that could be part of it. I really wonder if these are as nice as pictured though. This auction looks like it has 2 guys going after it. That's always great when you're the seller!

He also needs to make up for the FB1 gold set auction!  Wouldn't it be something if the tri-fold set sold for more than the FB1 gold set?

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #874 on: April 18, 2012, 11:44:37 AM »
He also needs to make up for the FB1 gold set auction!  Wouldn't it be something if the tri-fold set sold for more than the FB1 gold set?

I get your point, but frankly the tri-folds SHOULD sell for more. I know which set I'd rather have.